PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith In Fort Worth and Gun Range

docsherm
07-31-15, 18:02
Just moved to the Fort Worth Area and I need a good gunsmith to pin a brake on a AR Barrel. The North side of town would be the best.

I am also looking for some good ranges in the Area. I would prefer outdoor and some with some descent long range stuff also.

Thanks

rjacobs
07-31-15, 18:55
Just moved to the Fort Worth Area and I need a good gunsmith to pin a brake on a AR Barrel. The North side of town would be the best.

I am also looking for some good ranges in the Area. I would prefer outdoor and some with some descent long range stuff also.

Thanks

I just moved to the DFW area as well. Here is what I have figured out in the month I have been down here.

Depending on exactly WHERE you are there are 2, maybe 3 ranges that are decent.

ETTS down in Waxahachi: steel to 1200 yards, ~450 yard unknown distance steel range, 200 yard target range, 4 AR bays, 8 pistol bays. Said he was going to start working on a shotgun(trap/skeet type) range I believe. Super nice facility. Not to many rules(dont shoot yourself and others, no 50 cal). $600 a year. Lots of ancillary events that go on that are free or cheap for members, competitions every weekend, etc... Im going to join this range.

VX Marksmanship in Decatur: never been, but they say they have a 1k yard range. Got to be a training client to shoot there. This turned me off.

TacPro in Mingus: again havent been out there. Has a 1k yard rifle range(have to qualify to shoot beyond 600 I think it is), pistol, etc... No real great description of their range. Never called on pricing, but heard 200-300 yearly.

Beyond that, there are a few 100 yard outdoor ranges(boring) and one that goes to 200(boring). Most everything around is indoor pistol ranges(boring). Ive shot shotguns at Elm Fork a few times and going next Saturday to shoot sporting clays. They have a real nice facility, but their rifle range is only 100 yards.

As far as a smith for your AR, I will allow somebody else to help you out on that. I am sure there IS one. Might call up SilencerShop down in Austin and see if they have any recommendations.

SeriousStudent
08-01-15, 00:14

Thanks

I know a good guy for the brake work, but he's all the way over in Princeton. I'll ask about somebody closer.

Isn't there a distance range called Quail Creek (or something like that) out by Alliance?

And welcome to Cowtown! I hope you love it. :)

TheBelly
08-01-15, 00:17
If you're looking for precision rifle shooting, maybe look up the Texas precision rifle club. They have monthly matches for the north section.

docsherm
08-01-15, 08:52
I know a good guy for the brake work, but he's all the way over in Princeton. I'll ask about somebody closer.

Isn't there a distance range called Quail Creek (or something like that) out by Alliance?

And welcome to Cowtown! I hope you love it. :)

Thanks. After moving several times all over the State I think we are settled in......:blink:

I just looked up Quail Creek and it is about 15 minutes from me and looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

Found another post about Gunsmiths in the area and will look them up.

If anyone comes up with a good one please let me know.

SeriousStudent
08-01-15, 12:36
After you get all the moving boxes in the right rooms, head over to Roanoke for some BBQ at Hard 8, or some chicken fried steak at Babe's Chicken Shack.

Delicious!

docsherm
08-01-15, 12:48
After you get all the moving boxes in the right rooms, head over to Roanoke for some BBQ at Hard 8, or some chicken fried steak at Babe's Chicken Shack.

Delicious!

I have been going to Babe's in Granbury for years......do they even serve anything besides Chicken fried steak?.......:jester:

I will check out the BBQ. I am a huge fan of Angelo's. That place is epic.

Thanks

SeriousStudent
08-01-15, 14:22
Yep, the CFS at Babe's is epic, but their yardbird is great as well.

Angelo's is definitely good stuff. Be sure and visit Joe T Garcia's for Mexican food in Fort Worth. It is a cultural mecca of Texas.

kenshomi
08-01-15, 21:54
I'm a recent transplant as well. Quail Hollow is good. Their range officers are cool.

Roanoke is great for taking a break and eating lunch - hard 8 is a meat fest!!! I am still in search for a smith and shop to throw money at.

TXBK
08-01-15, 23:08
I hang out in North Central Texas, sometimes. I have worked around Quail Creek, but haven't ever been there to shoot. Quail Creek is the place that person shot a .50 cal, and the round ended up hitting someone in their camper at the Texas Motor Speedway, quite a few years ago.

I don't know of any smiths in the area, for pinning. I would sent it off, if it were me.

Cap'n Crash
08-02-15, 01:08
Magnum Sports in Sanger is 200 yards, FMJ allowed. Not as nice as Quail Creek, but Quail is 100 yds and no FMJ.
Welcome to the area!

docsherm
08-02-15, 08:16
Thank all of you for the info.

rjacobs
08-02-15, 10:45
I was just going to ask if Quail Creek's website was wrong on it only have a 100 yard range. I guess I dont consider that long range by any stretch of the imagination.

And all this talk of BBQ up in Roanoke...guess Im making a drive up there this week.

Cap'n Crash
08-02-15, 11:40
I was just going to ask if Quail Creek's website was wrong on it only have a 100 yard range. I guess I dont consider that long range by any stretch of the imagination.

And all this talk of BBQ up in Roanoke...guess Im making a drive up there this week.

Agreed that 100 isn't long. Max is 100 there. Nice benches and shade structures. Well maintained.
I've read negative comments about the range staff, but the 2 I've encountered were pleasant. Just make sure you read all the range rules posted on the website. Knowing the rules makes for a smoother experience.
Examples:
No FMJ
Don't load mags ahead of time, as the RO will inspect all ammo.

Leaveammoforme
08-02-15, 11:56

Thanks

Welcome to the area!

Quail Creek? Meh. All I'm going to say is, Be ready to just smile and nod. Busy place.

Good action matches out at Dallas Pistol Club and North Texas Shooters Association. I spend most of my time at NTSA.

Check out White Wing Weaponry in Denton for a local'ish pin job.

I hang out in North Central Texas, sometimes. I have worked around Quail Creek, but haven't ever been there to shoot. Quail Creek is the place that person shot a .50 cal, and the round ended up hitting someone in their camper at the Texas Motor Speedway, quite a few years ago.

I don't know of any smiths in the area, for pinning. I would sent it off, if it were me.

You fire to the north at Quail Creek. TMS is south of Quail Creek. It seems the media looked up the closest gun range and blamed it.

IIRC, the real story was it came from a guy that was on his private property. The guy even owned up to firing it.

Renegade
08-02-15, 12:29
I just moved to the DFW area as well. Here is what I have figured out in the month I have been down here.

Depending on exactly WHERE you are there are 2, maybe 3 ranges that are decent.

You may want to keep looking, as there are dozens of ranges in DFW, something for everyone. There is also private membership ranges too. Perhaps your best bet is to get out to some local events and then ask folks where they shoot. NUTS 2015 would be a good place to start.

rjacobs
08-02-15, 14:10
You may want to keep looking, as there are dozens of ranges in DFW, something for everyone. There is also private membership ranges too. Perhaps your best bet is to get out to some local events and then ask folks where they shoot. NUTS 2015 would be a good place to start.

Think you missed what I was aiming at. He asked for LONG RANGE shooting opportunities. I believe I covered the 3 that go beyond 100-200 yards. If there are more than those 3 that go beyond 100-200 yards, I would be interested in knowing about them.

Renegade
08-02-15, 14:15
Think you missed what I was aiming at. He asked for LONG RANGE shooting opportunities. I believe I covered the 3 that go beyond 100-200 yards. If there are more than those 3 that go beyond 100-200 yards, I would be interested in knowing about them.

Didn't miss anything, seems you missed my advice.

rjacobs
08-02-15, 14:23
Didn't miss anything, seems you missed my advice.

what advice would that have been? List out all the ranges that DONT qualify for what he asked for, which would be the majority of ranges in the DFW metroplex?

I am well aware that there are tons of ranges in the DFW metroplex, most of which dont qualify as "decent long range" shooting opportunities.

If he had asked for shotgun ranges I would have listed Dallas Gun Club and Elm Fork and called it a day. He asked for long range and I listed the 3 that I was aware of that had longer than ~100 yards to work with. If you know of any long range ranges that I missed, like I said, I would also like to know about them as well.

docsherm
08-11-15, 18:15
Thanks for all of the help.

TXBK
08-11-15, 18:42
You fire to the north at Quail Creek. TMS is south of Quail Creek. It seems the media looked up the closest gun range and blamed it.

IIRC, the real story was it came from a guy that was on his private property. The guy even owned up to firing it.

http://www.star-telegram.com/incoming/article3823398.html

I was mistaken. It seems that he was shooting near, most likely Quail Creek. That is the only range within close proximity to TMS, that I know about. I couldn't find any info as to whether he was ever charged or not.

kenshomi
08-14-15, 18:00
So no one has a good smith in dfw?

TXBK
08-14-15, 19:12
Something that I forgot to mention, is that Ident Marking is over in Rockwall. I have shipped them items, and made an appointment and waited while they engraved some lowers, which I think they still do once per week after hours. They do excellent engraving.

Also, DSG Arms is in South Ft. Worth. DSG may be able to recommend a good gunsmith. I know that there are some other businesses around the metroplex that handle quality and NFA items, but I am not familiar with them. I have heard of quite of few guys that "build" firearms, but I wouldn't recommend them and would be very cautious.

docsherm
08-14-15, 20:23
Thanks. Indent does all of my engraving on my SBRed Lowers.

I will give DSG a call. Thanks. I just ordered from them and didn't even think about that.

TXBK
08-14-15, 20:38
DSG also has a storefront. It is located off of N 35W, and is between Risinger and Everman. Showroom hours are Monday through Friday 9am till 6pm for law enforcement and military personnel and by appointment for Texas CHL holders.

docsherm
08-14-15, 20:39
Good to know. Thanks.

tango-papa
09-12-16, 12:31
New house and no workbench/vice set up yet.

Need a reputable gunsmith (local preferred - Denton County and/or Fort Worth area) for the following work on a Colt 6920:

Install DD RIS II FSP rail
Install AAC Blackout mount
Install IWC QD Receiver End Plate

Thanks,
tp

johnt43
09-12-16, 16:55
Try North Main BBQ in Euless TX by DFW airport, only open weekends.

Turnkey11
09-22-16, 01:17
New house and no workbench/vice set up yet.

Need a reputable gunsmith (local preferred - Denton County and/or Fort Worth area) for the following work on a Colt 6920:

Install DD RIS II FSP rail
Install AAC Blackout mount
Install IWC QD Receiver End Plate

Thanks,
tp

http://lonestararmory.net/pages/contactus