PDA

View Full Version : Glock Torture test!

kwelz
08-01-15, 11:35
So I am not always the biggest fan of this guy. But IraqVetran8888 did a full auto Torture test on a Gen 1 Glock 17 with an full auto conversion. I must say I am pretty damn impressed.

It went through 669 rounds before the polymer guide rod failed. They replaced it with a metal guide rod and ran it for another 1200ish rounds before running into another failure. They were then able to do some repairs and it still ran.

In the end the main failure was the rigger starting to melt and would not reset.

The biggest problem it seems is that part of the magazine was melting and being drawn into the chamber..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo

ST911
08-01-15, 11:57
So I am not always the biggest fan of this guy. But IraqVetran8888 did a full auto Torture test on a Gen 1 Glock 17 with an full auto conversion. I must say I am pretty damn impressed.

EVK serial FG/R, pre-recess serial dustcover. An early pebble grip (gen1) would have been interesting.

kwelz
08-01-15, 12:00
EVK serial FG/R, pre-recess serial dustcover. An early pebble grip (gen1) would have been interesting.

Maybe it is the fever I am runnig today... But that made no sense to me....

:jester:

MadAngler1
08-01-15, 17:00
I think the guys who did the torture test did an admirable job, and I appreciate their hard work and effort. However, I'm not sure what the test proves in the end. The Glock 17 is not designed for sustained full auto fire, and neither is the M4 carbine for instance (if all of you remember the torture testing done by Colt that was in the NY Times a few years ago). Any gun, no matter how well built, that was only meant for semi-auto and occasional auto fire, will fail when put into such circumstances. Even the world's best belt fed will have issues unless you cool the gun off after awhile or change the barrel, etc. Despite this, it was impressive that the Glock 17 lasted that long, which is a testament to its durable design and cold hammer forged barrel.

kwelz
08-01-15, 17:10
Kind of the whole point in my book. Not meant to do this at all yet it held up. He has also done similar tests on an AR and AK. The AK actually failed the earliest. Although they were able to beat it against a tree to get it working again.

Redstate
08-01-15, 19:41
Thanks for the video. I continue to be impressed by the Glock.

Singlestack Wonder
08-01-15, 19:53
Does this guy or his company have a license to manufacturer sub-machine guns?

Toecheese
08-01-15, 19:58

He works at a pawn shop if I'm not mistaken........and yes, I still hate Glocks.

kwelz
08-01-15, 20:42

He is working with a Class III SOT on all these conversion. He mentions it in one of the earlier videos.

Straight Shooter
08-02-15, 06:57

WHO CARES? I mean, really...outside of BATFE...WHO CARES?

BatteryOperated
08-02-15, 07:27
Enjoyed the video, however found the auto fire to be unrealistic for normal operating standards. I guess that is why they call it a torture test. I have also viewed Larry Vickers Tac TV - Glock Torture Test, and James Yaegers 1000 Round Glock Test on You Tube. Still, I am wondering when another make of pistol will be used for such a test.

SpecWired
08-02-15, 08:10

Are you a federal agent? What's your concern here?

Giggles
08-02-15, 08:13
I can't help but wonder... If the polymer frame on that gun is some how weakened by the extremes of a test like that. And it would be really interesting to see someone do a test like that on a .40 caliber glock. Since people report frames cracking do the that caliber.

donlapalma
08-02-15, 08:17
Good vid. Really makes me wonder how other polymer framed handguns would fare in that same torture test.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

BatteryOperated
08-02-15, 08:56
After watching You Tube I also found a Sig P320 1,000 round test video from Nov '14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU8-QHh2bR8

mayonaise
08-02-15, 10:33
Running a modified G17 full auto is pretty silly. It's a common misconception that the G18 is just a G17 with different parts. It's not. It's a different gun. There are many common parts but they are different guns. Also, thinking 1,000 rounds is a torture test for Glocks is also rather silly. 1k is chump change when it comes to torture tests.

kwelz
08-02-15, 10:41
1000 rounds of full auto fire (or even just rapid fire) in a firearm not made to be full auto is not chump change at all.
Most people never fire 1000 rounds over the life of the firearm.

They are not made to do this and the fact they can hold up to it is pretty impressive in my book.

FishTaco
08-02-15, 11:10
Impressive

mayonaise
08-02-15, 15:26
1000 rounds of full auto fire (or even just rapid fire) in a firearm not made to be full auto is not chump change at all.
Most people never fire 1000 rounds over the life of the firearm.

They are not made to do this and the fact they can hold up to it is pretty impressive in my book.

Explain the point of running a gun full auto for however many rounds when a) it's not designed for FA and b) because it's not design for such use any results (as if he's actually collecting any meaningful data) is therefore irrelevant? All he is doing is making $$ by getting goobers to watch his youtube page. 1k rounds of ammo masturbation.

Eurodriver
08-02-15, 16:59
This is neat, for sure, I enjoyed seeing an OEM Glock make it through almost 700 rounds of sustained full auto fire despite it being 100% ridiculous and over the top.

A more realistic torture test for a Glock would involve dirt, sand, water, exposure, etc but this was still entertaining.

BlaineD
08-02-15, 18:26
You internet ninjas need to get a grip. He is offering interesting videos for you to watch. Period. It's not realistic and not intended to be. How anybody on this site hadn't seen any of his videos is beyond me.
Of interest however, is that the glock did make it waaaay past the m4 and the AK. But who cares? Who is going to do it? It's entertaining and he put a lot of money into entertaining you!
Get over yourselves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
08-03-15, 07:20
I swear to God...some of yall bitch about everything. The guy took the TIME & EFFORT to do this sort of "what if" test...just to see how far the gun would go. NOBODY said it was meant to be the BE ALL-END ALL of tests. OR that it was practical, nor anything of the sort. As for 1,000 rounds being "chump change"...BULLSHIT. Fired in full auto....it is a at very least a baseline of an test designed to go outside the bounderies of what the pistol was designed for.
IF yall that criticize & critique EVERY damn thing that comes along can do better...by all means...show us ill informed know-nothings what the PROPER WAY to test a pistol is. Make your own damn video.

mayonaise
08-03-15, 12:14
Wow! You told me. Good job funding more of his asshattery.

Gunfixr
08-03-15, 12:29
Wow. I admit to not seeing the vid, or any of this guys vids.
However, firing a gun not designed for full auto to failure in full auto doesnt serve any useful purpose.
However, it was probably plenty fun.
We been waiting for a g17 to come in cheap enough to do one, just to play with. Although, we didnt plan on running it to failure. We did do a 10/22 open bolt conversion, just to play with.
Everyone who has played with it loves it.
That gun isnt built for full auto either, but, there are lots of parts around, we can keep it running.
Why? Because we can.
Yes, the g18 is a different gun inside. In fact, one of the g18s in smyrna has a cracked slide, and atf wont let them import parts for these, only whole guns, and only when they get an order for them. They can only keep 4 at a time.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Giggles
08-03-15, 13:20
Overall I liked the video. It is what it is. The guy was just trying to have some fun while showing the ruggedness of the glock. Im impressed with the gun and the video itself.

KalashniKEV
08-03-15, 13:57
I have also viewed Larry Vickers Tac TV - Glock Torture Test, and James Yaegers 1000 Round Glock Test on You Tube.

This, to me, is more interesting than those two.

Tie it to a string and drop it in a puddle?

What exactly do you think is going to happen???

Also, thinking 1,000 rounds is a torture test for Glocks is also rather silly. 1k is chump change when it comes to torture tests.

1,000 on back to back 33 round magazines, at the guns cyclic rate yields some interesting data.

The guide rod failed first, as we all assumed, but should we all go out and replace our guide rods? Obviously no one is going that hard for that long.

The gun handled the heat much better than I thought it would.

Also the failures were related to heat/ meltage, not parts breakage, which is interesting. (EDIT- except for the pin)

BatteryOperated
08-03-15, 15:27
Did not mean to sound as if I did not find the video entertaining. I did give it a thumbs up on You Tube, and I do subscribe to his channel. However, I was expecting more of a realistic test. I realize that squeezing off hundreds of rounds one by one can be brutal to the hand, as Yeager's video shows. In the Sig P320 test there were four men alternating the 1,000 round shoot. Yes, the Glock was tortured to meltdown. I just thought it was going to be a semi auto round count meltdown. In semi auto mode the time between shots will be greater, and allow slightly more time for the weapon to cool down between shots. To me, this would give a more accurate account of the Glock actually melting down. However, kudos to Eric for thinking out of the box.

Benito
08-03-15, 18:28
Wow. I admit to not seeing the vid, or any of this guys vids.
However, firing a gun not designed for full auto to failure in full auto doesnt serve any useful purpose.
However, it was probably plenty fun.
We been waiting for a g17 to come in cheap enough to do one, just to play with. Although, we didnt plan on running it to failure. We did do a 10/22 open bolt conversion, just to play with.
Everyone who has played with it loves it.
That gun isnt built for full auto either, but, there are lots of parts around, we can keep it running.
Why? Because we can.
Yes, the g18 is a different gun inside. In fact, one of the g18s in smyrna has a cracked slide, and atf wont let them import parts for these, only whole guns, and only when they get an order for them. They can only keep 4 at a time.

I think it does serve a useful purpose, several.
First, fun is a useful purpose.
Two, it shows that what the gun can handle, in this case, going beyond what it was designed for and what it will most likely ever encounter.
Kind of like testing car tires at speeds and temperatures beyond anything seen in normal driving. Important to know the limits.

Straight Shooter
08-03-15, 19:43
Wow! You told me. Good job funding more of his asshattery.

EAGERLY I await your video of the PROPER way to test a pistol. HOLLA when its out.

Adrenaline_6
08-03-15, 21:04
EAGERLY I await your video of the PROPER way to test a pistol. HOLLA when its out.

The video is cool, I guess, but I think these tests are more up your alley if you haven't already seen them. Guns with just lots of range time and extended cleaning periods. A little more realistic for you.

G17 - http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/gen4-friday

P30 - http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday

HK45 - http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/hk45

M&P - http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/mp-monday

Springfield 1911 - http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/springfield-1911-9mm

Gunfixr
08-04-15, 08:23
The however, it was fun statement was to say that that was a purpose. Guess that wasnt clear enough.

Showing what a gun not designed for full auto can handle in full auto isnt useful.

Unless of course you guys here are planning on converting yours.

And the tire thing is apples/oranges. Going beyond a tires speed rating is just an extension, and depending on what that speed is, maybe possible.
Going full auto changes much more, and unless you are an 07/sot, not even legal.

Talon167
08-04-15, 09:04
Damn, that's a lot of rounds so quick! The heat camera was pretty cool. I was hoping to see the part where he dropped it into the bucket of water...

jpmuscle
08-04-15, 19:17
I don't get it... What more of a reason does a guy need than 'Merica.

Talon167
08-04-15, 19:38
The however, it was fun statement was to say that that was a purpose. Guess that wasnt clear enough.

Showing what a gun not designed for full auto can handle in full auto isnt useful.

Unless of course you guys here are planning on converting yours.

And the tire thing is apples/oranges. Going beyond a tires speed rating is just an extension, and depending on what that speed is, maybe possible.
Going full auto changes much more, and unless you are an 07/sot, not even legal.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/familyguy/images/3/33/Buzz_Killington.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090720220816

Blastem
08-04-15, 20:56
Blaine nailed it. Entertainment, curiousity and free. Hardly worth complaining about.

Straight Shooter
08-05-15, 07:48
Blaine nailed it. Entertainment, curiousity and free. Hardly worth complaining about.

YET....THEY DO.

Gunfixr
08-05-15, 08:04
I wasnt complaining. In my first post, i said it didnt serve a useful purpose, but was entertaining.
I then went on to mention we ourselves had made a full auto just for entertainment.
A 22 cal machinegun doesnt serve any useful purpose either, but it is entertaining.
Someone else tried to prove its usefulness to me, and i explained my position.

You guys are reading way too much into what i posted.
While im sure many do not do this, i try to word my posts so that they can be taken at the face value of what the reader sees, and be accurate. None here are sitting across a table from me, to see what my tone is, and there isnt tone on a screen.
There were no complaints, just simple statements.

The wow statement in the first post was only a reference to some of the previous posts on the subject. I used to frequent this forum some time ago, and back then, this subject would not have garnered the kind of responses i saw.
That, and some other threads i have seen here since returning have showed that this place has changed.

BBossman
08-05-15, 08:58

Balderdash! Firearms are not meant to be fun. They must only be handled while wearing full "kit", and then only while training to kill terrorists or actually killing terrorists.

Bryan84
08-14-15, 20:57
Little 4lb baby jesus!! I need one!