PDA

View Full Version : IOR/Valdada 3X25 Tactical Illuminated CQB vs EoTech 553 with Aimpoint 3X Magnifier

cprher
07-23-08, 09:43
Well, I had an opportunity to spend a day with my S&W 15T which is now mounted with an IOR 3X25 CQB sight. I had the 15T originally fitted with an EoTech 553 and 3X Aimpoint magnifier and was not satisfied with the accuracy of the gun at anything greater than spitting distance. Up close and personal it was a wonderful combination, one I thought would give me the best combination of speed and precision. Speed was there aplenty...precision, not so much. I was convinced the ammo was at fault but when Blackhills failed to perform I knew it was either the gun or the sight. Since from time to time I'd crank out a good group at 300 I decided to change out the sight and see. I did my research on this and other AR-15 forums and decided on the IOR/Valdada 3X25 Tactical Illuminated CQB sight. I just got one for $700 shipped, but ended up selling my EoTech and Aimpoint on eBay for a lot more than that, so no money issues.

It mounted up simply enough, just a tad lower than my BUIS and gave me a great cheek weld. I adopted the philosophy of having my nose touch the charging handle and gave it a try with the surplus ammo. Not impressed! Went to the Prithvi ammo, not impressed! Then the Blackhills. 2" groups at 200 yards over the hood of my truck and 4" groups at 300 yards using a tactical prone position. Gun is now zero'd on the dial - 0 for 50 yds, 1 for 100 yards, 2 for 200 yards and 5 for 300 yards. I think I can remember that. Over the next few months I'll confirm all that and get my "comeups" out to 600 yards.

I'll also see how the 3 power sight degrades my close in shooting. I'm sure it will to a degree...how much I can't say. But at least I've got a rifle that when called upon can deliver the kind of accuracy I need at distance.

LettersFromEarth
07-23-08, 16:51
Cool beans! I like the 3X IOR a bunch and I do think you may have picked one of the better optic choices going. My only "fear" would be the battery life of the IOR. I have heard its not that great but who knows...

Now, a few questions--
1) Where did you get it?
2) Where the hell are the pix?!?! :-)

cprher
07-24-08, 08:23
I got it for $700 shipped from Harris Firearms (www.harrisfirearms.com). That's with the price increase so the price should be somewhat stable for a while. As for pics my camera is on the fritz.

Magsz
07-24-08, 13:06
Link doesnt work.

cprher
07-25-08, 07:59
From Matt at Harris Firearms -

I am in the process of building a new site. I had some problems with my last one and they weren't real helpful. If I can help u with anything give me a call

Thanks

Matt
Harris Firearms
319-269-5574 cell
319-833-0199