PDA

View Full Version : anyone own a 2015 BMW 1600 GTL

platoonDaddy
08-01-15, 18:41
Please don't let this be a HD vs BMW thread, just have a serious question.

Looking to replace my HD bagger. I stopped in at local BMW dealer today and was surprised to see the 2015 1600 GTL with a keyless gas cap. When I asked the sales rep why in the hell would BMW have a keyless gas cap, his reply "that is they way they designed them." Not sure if he said 2014 or 2015 is the year they were released.

Dang, touring the states, I wouldn't feel comfortable parking an unattended bike that has a keyless gas cap.

How do you as a 2015 1600 owner feel about the keyless gas cap?

Thanks

JBecker 72
08-01-15, 18:45
My truck doesn't have any locking device for the gas cap either, and it's a 2015. Doesn't concern me.

platoonDaddy
08-01-15, 18:46
My truck doesn't have any locking device for the gas cap either, and it's a 2015.

On a bike, the gas cap is sitting on top of the gas tank and open to the world to mess with.

SilverBullet432
08-01-15, 19:06
Probably that eurodriver feller :sarcastic:

FlyingHunter
08-01-15, 19:51
Been riding HD for years and I always change my locked cap to an unlockable version so I can always get gas, even if I lose some key. Never had any issues. The BMW 1600 is a nice ride.

GH41
08-02-15, 08:06
On a bike, the gas cap is sitting on top of the gas tank and open to the world to mess with.

Go back to the dealer. Some of the bikes do not use a key lock but the cap cannot be opened if the key or fob isn't in close proximity to the bike. My Tacoma locks it's doors when the key gets 15-20 feet from the truck.

platoonDaddy
08-02-15, 08:25
Go back to the dealer. Some of the bikes do not use a key lock but the cap cannot be opened if the key or fob isn't in close proximity to the bike. My Tacoma locks it's doors when the key gets 15-20 feet from the truck.

Very good point, will check that out on Monday.

As I was typing, I recall the gasLid just had a release, without any noticeable wiring.

As stated, will verify on Monday.

cinco
08-02-15, 08:37
Looks like you're good to go if it's the "Exclusive" version. Great bike, I'd be envious. Man would I love to do an extended summer tour on that ride!

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2014-bmw-k-1600-gtl-exclusive-road-test.htm/

It’s also the first motorcycle offered with BMW’s Keyless Ride system. When the key fob is within two meters of the bike, the steering lock, ignition, fuel filler cap and central locking system can be operated by buttons, and when the fob is out of range the alarm system arms automatically. Keyless Ride is convenient and easy to use, as long as you don’t put the fob in the trunk. The lid blocks the wireless signal and makes the system think the fob is out of range, which can leave you stranded if you also happened to hit the central locking button. BMW provides a “valet” key for such emergencies, but it must be kept handy and separate from the main fob. This is an easy mistake to make, so putting another fob sensor in the trunk would provide a failsafe.

platoonDaddy
08-02-15, 08:55
Looks like you're good to go if it's the "Exclusive" version. Great bike, I'd be envious. Man would I love to do an extended summer tour on that ride!

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2014-bmw-k-1600-gtl-exclusive-road-test.htm/

Thanks for the link, now that makes sense.

GH41
08-02-15, 14:45
Thanks for the link, now that makes sense.

If your dropping that much coin on the bike spend a little more on one of these. http://www.gs911usa.com/ Even if your not a gear head it might save your ass one day. Something as stupid as a piece of debris fouling up the side stand switch will put you out of business. If you put the bike in gear and the computer thinks the stand is down it will kill the engine. If you can read the fault code you at least know where to look for something that you might be able to fix. A couple of winters ago I rode my last BMW through the neighborhood to charge the battery. I ran into a friend and left the bike idling in his drive with the hand warmers on. The bike shut off after about ten minutes. It would turn over but not start. The charging capacity at idle couldn't keep up with the load and without full voltage the bike wouldn't run. Not trying to scare you off but I wouldn't ride a modern BMW out of cellphone range.

JBecker 72
08-02-15, 17:35

So is every other gas cap on a vehicle that doesn't have a locking door or a cap.

I've had so many bikes without a locking cap and have never had an issue. Though it sounds like this Bimmer is pretty high tech.

platoonDaddy
08-02-15, 19:55
So is every other gas cap on a vehicle that doesn't have a locking door or a cap.

I've had so many bikes without a locking cap and have never had an issue. Though it sounds like this Bimmer is pretty high tech.

Local ridding isn't my concern, touring North America, I end up in some areas that an unlocked gas cap on a motorcycle is an invitation to frig with.

The difference between a vehicle and a motorcycle is that the motorcycle gas neck is straight vs a 40 degree or whatever degree vehicle neck. The motorcycle opening is about 2" or so wide, you could drop a friggin hotdog into the tank. :-)

Hey GH431 thanks for the link to GS911 and yes you are scaring me.