PDA

View Full Version : Is kydex really tough enough for OWB use?

Giggles
08-02-15, 12:07
Is kydex really tough enough for OWB use? We all know kydex is tough. But Im asking my self this cause, we all know people and see individuals who open carry. Sometimes these individuals have the high end latest and greatest stuff from the best holster makers. But my concern for holsters used in this role, is that the kydex belt loops them selves are in no way strong enough to survive a worst case scenario. Of say a bad guy trying to literally rip your holster of your belt. Has the industry every thought about this? Or is anybody making... Like aluminum loops to counter this worst case scenario? Also now as Im thinking, are the safari-land holsters vulnerable to this same worst case scenario?

Maple Leaf pilgrim
08-02-15, 13:05
I have kydex holsters from a few reputable makers. Now nobody has ever got close enough to try and rip my holster off my belt, nor have I had a gun grab happen, I have smacked the holster on vehicle doors climbing in and out/moving around in the vehicle/manoeuvring in buildings/rubble etc. If you're wearing a rack and swinging a rifle, you got a it of extra mass (and momentum) going with you as well. In all of this I have yet to have an OWB holster, mag carrier or torch carrier fail on me, whether its the attachment system, the holster or the belt. Popped a belt loop once though, but that was me being stupid.

I have a Safariland 6004 I used whilst deployed, its been in -50C up to +45C, dust, sand, diesel fuel, water, mud, snow and ice. No issues (couple scratches and abrasions though). It's still with me sitting in a corner of the closet waiting to be put back to work.

-S.

Tungsten
08-02-15, 13:59
Most kydex holster manufacturers have switched to tougher injection-molded nylon belt loops and away from kydex loops.

cougar_guy04
08-02-15, 14:12
I don't think I'd trust my kydex holsters (mostly RCS, a couple from JM) for a dedicated out-in-the-open OWB holster, but would have no real issue using them concealed/OWB. If I were open carrying, I'd go with something along the lines of a Safariland 6378 (which is what I use for out in the woods & competition) or a 6280. My experience is nothing very high speed, but I'm not gentle with my gear and those Safariland rigs have held up to some serious abuse. I'd venture a guess that it's take someone with some real Hulk strength to tear it off.

Most kydex holster manufacturers have switched to tougher injection-molded nylon belt loops and away from kydex loops.
I noticed this with my RCS holsers. One from 2009 and one from 2013 show a few differences (one of which being the belt loops, another being thicker kydex).

bullitt
08-02-15, 16:08
I am a forester and spend everyday crawling through the brush. I carry a 1911 OWB in a kydex holster a friend of mine made. It has the nylon belt loops mentioned above, not kydex ones. I've fallen on it, banged it in trees and rocks. At the end of the day I take it off and throw it on the floor in the back of my work truck. It's holding up great!

I previously used a Safariland 6378 which is an awesome holster! I switched the kydex holster because it is way lower profile and doesn't snag on everything like the 6378.

I think with sturdy loops and thicker kydex you would be good to go in most situations.

Giggles
08-02-15, 20:04
I get that Kydex and injected molded nylon will hold up. But Im just thinking worst case scenario. Like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

I know that the holster used was on a paddle. But in real life... Especially in a close encounter this could be a potential problem.

TF82
08-02-15, 23:22
I wouldn't open carry with a regular kydex holster since most don't offer any additional retention. I rolled around quite a bit with my Persec holster and finally cracked the body. It's still usable, but I picked up a Raven to replace it and I'll have to see how that goes. If you want to carry a gun with a light concealed kydex is pretty much the only game in town. As far as Safariland holsters go, I'm not sure which attachment you're referring to, but most cops in America right now are using their universal belt loop and that thing is TOUGH. I would 100% guarantee that my belt would break open before that belt loop would fail.

Gunfixr
08-03-15, 10:17
I use a safariland owb every day at work. Not sure of the model offhand, but it a fully enclosed model with the als. No one has tried to grab it yet, but i have run it into things several times, and it has pushed me around, not given in.

The holster in the video looks like a fobus paddle.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk