PDA

View Full Version : A5 v JP buffer system questions

daddyusmaximus
08-03-15, 18:06
I have been shooting more lately, focusing primarily on my SHTF gun (SBR AR) and I got to thinking about my buffer system. I am wanting to try the JP silent capture spring. For some reason the twang was really getting to me these last few days, although I do like the different "twangless" sound of the bolt locking back as an indicator of when to swap mags. As I researched it, the A5 system seemed to be coming up more often as a go-to mod. My SBR is using a 9.5" Arms Tech Compak 16 upper. It uses a gas trap system that softens the action and I'm wondering if I went with the A5, would I need to get a lighter buffer? I also want the most compact system I can get so it is easy to pack and travel with. Is there anyone out there using the A5 buffer system in conjunction with the Law Tactical folding stock kit? This is very interesting to me. Are there any positive long term reviews on the JP silent capture spring? I can't find any.

C-grunt
08-03-15, 18:13
My buddy has the JP system on his Mk12 build. No way in hell Id go with it for a serious use rifle. He has to tune the spring/buffer system to each load for it to be reliable. Even then he has problems.

tom12.7
08-03-15, 18:23
How much mass does that "silent" spring have, that could be a clue in the degree of function?

user
08-03-15, 20:08
White Grease in the tube solves any twang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiet Riot
08-04-15, 07:51
My buddy has the JP system on his Mk12 build. No way in hell Id go with it for a serious use rifle. He has to tune the spring/buffer system to each load for it to be reliable. Even then he has problems.

Has your buddy used his JP on any other rifle? I wonder if other aspects of his build are the culprit, and the buffer spring is what he is using to compensate.

I've been running a JP for a few years mainly on a 300 BLK SBR, but I've used the lower with countless other 300 BLK and 556 uppers. I've never had any reliability issues with any of the combos I've run, including both subsonic and supersonic 300 BLK in 8" through 16" barrels, 55gr to 77gr 556 in 11.5" through 16" barrels, suppressed, unsuppressed... Zero issues at all.

I'm not arguing that a JP is appropriate for any given application, but my experience using one is the polar opposite of your buddy's.

C-grunt
08-04-15, 15:50
Has your buddy used his JP on any other rifle? I wonder if other aspects of his build are the culprit, and the buffer spring is what he is using to compensate.

I've been running a JP for a few years mainly on a 300 BLK SBR, but I've used the lower with countless other 300 BLK and 556 uppers. I've never had any reliability issues with any of the combos I've run, including both subsonic and supersonic 300 BLK in 8" through 16" barrels, 55gr to 77gr 556 in 11.5" through 16" barrels, suppressed, unsuppressed... Zero issues at all.

I'm not arguing that a JP is appropriate for any given application, but my experience using one is the polar opposite of your buddy's.

It ran fine previously with a standard A2 spring and rifle buffer. But he is on a quest for the "smoothest shooting gun" so he just might have it set on the razors edge.

Barack H. Obama
08-04-15, 18:22
I have been shooting more lately, focusing primarily on my SHTF gun (SBR AR) and I got to thinking about my buffer system. I am wanting to try the JP silent capture spring. For some reason the twang was really getting to me these last few days, although I do like the different "twangless" sound of the bolt locking back as an indicator of when to swap mags. As I researched it, the A5 system seemed to be coming up more often as a go-to mod. My SBR is using a 9.5" Arms Tech Compak 16 upper. It uses a gas trap system that softens the action and I'm wondering if I went with the A5, would I need to get a lighter buffer? I also want the most compact system I can get so it is easy to pack and travel with. Is there anyone out there using the A5 buffer system in conjunction with the Law Tactical folding stock kit? This is very interesting to me. Are there any positive long term reviews on the JP silent capture spring? I can't find any.

The A5 is a proven reliable system. Just be sure to get the right buffer weight for your intended use. The A5H2 seems to be the perfect all-around solution for most carbines, suppressed and unsuppressed. That said it's not needed for your problem. Add a light coat of moly grease on your buffer spring and it will clean up that annoying "twang" pretty good.

daddyusmaximus
08-04-15, 21:17
The A5 is a proven reliable system. Just be sure to get the right buffer weight for your intended use. The A5H2 seems to be the perfect all-around solution for most carbines, suppressed and unsuppressed. That said it's not needed for your problem. Add a light coat of moly grease on your buffer spring and it will clean up that annoying "twang" pretty good.

Yeah, like I'm gonna take the word of barack h obama...

Macht
08-05-15, 01:16
I run a JP spring in my Grendel and it works great, never had an issue. On the other hand, I also run an adjustable gas block, so that allows me to tune if necessary without screwing with different springs.

thmpr
08-05-15, 01:57
I ran several thousands of 5.56, 308, 6.8SPC, Beowulf (~800 rounds), Grendel, and 300BLK rounds with no issues on the JP. No failure yet. One of my 5.56 easily exceeds 5K with no hiccups.

markm
08-05-15, 18:27
Leave the JP nonsense for the satin shirt wearing match freaks. I won't own any of that stuff. It may have competition value... but that's it.

HKGuns
08-05-15, 18:52
The A5 is an absolute no brainier.

thmpr
08-06-15, 00:26
Leave the JP nonsense for the satin shirt wearing match freaks. I won't own any of that stuff. It may have competition value... but that's it.

Had to try it. Bought one of each, AR15 and 308 model, to try. It worked as advertised.

556BlackRifle
08-06-15, 09:23
I won't build a carbine without an A5. IMO it is the best thing since sliced bread. As for that spring rattle noise, Shooter's Choice red grease quiets it down. A buddy of mine has the JP system on one of his rifles. Damn thing works like a champ.

tom12.7
08-06-15, 16:58
There is merit in building a carbine with the A5 over the conventional carbine system for many reasons. It is kind've hard to argue against it for most users.
I haven't used or tested the JP setup, but can anyone tell me how much reciprocating mass is used in their setups?

jerrysimons
08-06-15, 20:28
There is merit in building a carbine with the A5 over the conventional carbine system for many reasons. It is kind've hard to argue against it for most users.
I haven't used or tested the JP setup, but can anyone tell me how much reciprocating mass is used in their setups?

I think their LMOS buffer is a rifle length buffer equivalent in weight to a 3oz carbine buffer.

tom12.7
08-07-15, 04:21
Sorry, I should have been more specific. What is the buffer mass in the silent spring setup they provide?

daddyusmaximus
08-07-15, 08:42
The gas system on my upper is designed to work with the standard carbine buffer and spring. What weight of buffer of the A5 system would work best with that?

Boba Fett v2
08-07-15, 22:00
The gas system on my upper is designed to work with the standard carbine buffer and spring. What weight of buffer of the A5 system would work best with that?

Go with the H2. You should be GTG.

tom12.7
08-08-15, 12:26
An A5H2 would be an appropriate start if the barrel was properly gassed for a carbine action H2 buffer. If it is not, then another weight may be required.

mig1nc
08-08-15, 12:29
It would be worth mentioning the default a5 spring would be the way to go there too.

So get the full kit and just use what comes with it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ty50
12-06-16, 13:01
Im not trying to be devisive but JPs buffer invention is competition worthy, as well as everything worthy.
You can change the weights and springs accordingly and they dont destruct and yes very quiet and smooth.
Costly, yes but worth it if you got it. You can get rid of the annoying detent and spring that holds conventional buffer springs in. Awesome.

Singlestack Wonder
12-06-16, 13:14
jp - gun games

A5 - Serious use

Singlestack Wonder
12-06-16, 13:16
"Leave the JP nonsense for the satin shirt wearing match freaks" - Markm... Worthy of a signature line entry!

Vegas
12-06-16, 14:52
"Leave the JP nonsense for the satin shirt wearing match freaks" - Markm... Worthy of a signature line entry!

Made me laugh. Worth the necro bump alone :D