PDA

View Full Version : Horus Talon or IOR/Valdada 1.1-4x26 CRT Illuminated Tactical Scope?

jsbcody
07-23-08, 13:13
I am setting up my new Patrol Rifle (putting togather a test probgram for Personally Owned/Department Approved Patrol Rifles) and am now really looking at either:

Horus Talon
or
IOR/Valdada 1.1-4x26 CRT Illuminated Tactical Scope

S&B Short Dot is WAY out of my price range at this time. Nightforce is also outside of my price range right now.

for the optic. I want the 4x for Target ID, backstop check and improved accuracy. I won't be kicking in doors (that much or if at all). For some background, we just had an incidnet on Monday morning where officers from my department responded to an ambush shooting in the city next to us. One firefighter was killed, and two officers were wounded. Bad Guy died apparently when he set his house on fire. Bad Guy was shooting "sniper style" from inside his house, not exposing himself or giving away his position. Every one of our officers I have debriefed would have traded anything to have a magnified optic on their rifles (Department issued rifles; irons sights only).

I have been putting togather information from several different incidents and in most of them there has been a NEED for a magnified optic. I also like the "CQB" ability of these rifles. I am looking for any opinions or any experiences others have had on these scopes. I had a thread on the Horus Talon a couple months ago but there wasn't many responses. Thanks in advance for responding.

223Rem
07-23-08, 18:46
You may want to look into a Meopta Ill. K-Dot. True 1x, visible illumination during all daylight conditions and has BAC qualities at 4x when the illumination is on. Same price range as the other optics.

Another consideration would be an ACOG. Either series (TA11, TA31, TA33) would suffice. Also in the same price range.

Having owned a IOR, I found it to be heavy and lacking the ability to see the illumination under all daylight conditions sealed it fate. The reticle was a bit cluttered for me as well.

I have not had any experience with the Horus Vision, but from what reticles I have seen they are a bit busy and not needed for close to midrange work. Not sure about the illumination being visible during all daylight operation either.

MX5
07-23-08, 19:25
The Meopta K-Dot is a nice optic in it's price range. Illuminated, it's pretty bright in daylight. Not as bright as an EOTech or Aimpoint, but serviceable nonetheless. It also has "off" positions between each brightness setting, similar to the Short Dot.

LettersFromEarth
07-26-08, 11:09
I've played around w/a few IOR's and they are nice. As already stated they are a BIG optic...but so is the Meopta K-Dot and that shouldnt cool you to either of those. I would say the illum. of the K-Dot is a bit better but the the CQB reticle (Gen II) of the IOR has its own advantages and may work for your needs.

You might also wish to consider the Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4X and the new Bushnell Elite 4200 also in same power range. The AccuPoint is outstanding and its reticle (there are a few to chose from, too) is visable in all lighting cond. The Bushnell is a newer product but it has some of the BEST glass I have ever seen in an optic. Its been claimed the reticle illum is also visable in the daylight but I didnt get a chance to try that out for myself. Good luck and stay safe.