PDA

View Full Version : What is eing passed off as Racist now in Texas.

Averageman
08-05-15, 12:17
http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/08/04/dash-cam-video-released-of-state-reps-traffic-stop/31143361/
The Austin County Sheriff's Office released the dash camera video of a July 14 traffic stop of State Representative Garnet Coleman Tuesday to refute claims Coleman made last week about being disrespected and treated "like a child."
Coleman, as the chair of the Committee on County Affairs, held a hearing last Thursday in Austin as the first public inquiry into the arrest and death of Sandra Bland in Waller County. In that hearing, Coleman recounted his own history of being pulled over in traffic stops and gave this account of an I-10 traffic stop that happened just two weeks ago.
"He talked to me like I was a child," he said of the sheriff's deputy who pulled him over for speeding. "He was so rude and nasty. Even when he found out I was a legislator, he became more rude and nasty. And I didn't understand why this guy was continuing to go on and on and treat me like a child. And basically like I'm saying is treat me like a boy. I want to be very clear about that," Coleman said in the committee hearing.

"How you doing?" the sergeant asks.
"All right. How are you?" Coleman answers.
"Pretty good. What's the rush?" the sergeant says.
"I'm just trying to go home," Coleman said.
"You can't do 94 miles an hour, though," the sergeant said.
"I didn't realize that," Coleman said, indicating he didn't notice how fast he was going.
The entire traffic stop lasts approximately 9 minutes. Coleman tells the deputy that he is a state representative. The deputy says he is aware of that fact. He has already run his state representative license plate in the patrol car computer and found at least one previous speeding violation in Wharton County.

And this guy isn't going to apologize either.

thei3ug
08-05-15, 12:37
The deputy gave him a warning, and Coleman responded by dragging him through the mud on record. I'm confused.

Ryno12
08-05-15, 12:46
I'm confused as to how the title relates to the story.

As far as the traffic stop goes, I don't see what the cop did wrong.

...except he should've issued a ticket.

Averageman
08-05-15, 12:50
I'm confused as to how the title relates to the story.

As far as the traffic stop goes, I don't see what the cop did wrong.

...except he should've issued a ticket.
eing should be being.
The idea that this guy would slander a Cop who let him roll on a 19 over ticket and say he was being treated like a "Boy" by the Cop.

The Link explains more.

Ryno12
08-05-15, 12:57
eing should be being.
The idea that this guy would slander a Cop who let him roll on a 19 over ticket and say he was being treated like a "Boy" by the Cop.

The Link explains more.

I assumed that's what you meant, it was the "racist" part that threw me off.

Either way, that state office needs to toughen up. He was only issued a warning for Christ's sake.

I thought Texans were tougher than that. ;)

Honu
08-05-15, 13:15
or this story this week
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08/04/college-professor-accuses-state-trooper-of-racial-profiling-then-investigators-listened-to-the-dashcam-audio/

basically a college professor accused the cop of racial profiling and lied about being asked id she could even speak english ? to bad the stop was recorded !
IMHO these liars in any kinda position like this should loose there job !

Honu
08-05-15, 13:18
I love Texas and its pride of itself and most all the real Texan folks I have met are super cool BUT Austin seems like its the part of our bodies we sit on :) and seems to be the one place in Texas I would not ever want to live

that and whats up with Waco ? seems like its got some insane cool stuff and some just plain insane stuff at the same time ?

brickboy240
08-05-15, 14:03
Inner city Austin is a mess of liberalism. The outlying areas around Austin are fairly conservative. Remember...LaRue is located in this area.

Waco? Well, after the Branch Davidian fiasco, it got a reputation for craziness. Still...Waco is the home of Baylor University - a pretty conservative university and the people in and around Waco are friendly and very conservative folks if you ask me.

Honu
08-05-15, 14:16
insane stuff also was fun insane cool like this
in my 50s would still do it till I hurt myself maybe first run :) ahhaahhaahah
but would be nothing like when I was young and could do it all day I bet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOhpQDDME4

Inner city Austin is a mess of liberalism. The outlying areas around Austin are fairly conservative. Remember...LaRue is located in this area.

Waco? Well, after the Branch Davidian fiasco, it got a reputation for craziness. Still...Waco is the home of Baylor University - a pretty conservative university and the people in and around Waco are friendly and very conservative folks if you ask me.

SomeOtherGuy
08-05-15, 14:16
Cameras are a good thing for good people, including good cops.

I can see some of the slimier race-baiters losing their ability to get mainstream attention as these sorts of incidents come up, where one set of allegations is made and a video record disproves it.

Averageman
08-05-15, 14:24
Cameras are a good thing for good people, including good cops.

I can see some of the slimier race-baiters losing their ability to get mainstream attention as these sorts of incidents come up, where one set of allegations is made and a video record disproves it.

Well this guy is a scumbag and I hope he gets an immediate recall election.
At the point you're driving at 90+ mph on a public road and on my dime, someone needs to take your government car away from you.
Is there racism? Certainly, but this guy has done more with this statement to make things worse for every legitimate claim out there.

Ryno12
08-05-15, 15:00
Is their racism? Certainly, but this guy has done more with this statement to make things worse for every legitimate claim out there.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I reread the article & re watched the video and I don't see where anyone is being racist. Even if the cop talked down to the State Rep, that's not racism. Nor is the fact that he let him off with a warning.

Am I missing something?

Averageman
08-05-15, 15:28
Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I reread the article & re watched the video and I don't see where anyone is being racist. Even if the cop talked down to the State Rep, that's not racism. Nor is the fact that he let him off with a warning.

Am I missing something?

No, there is no racism, but the State Rep was claiming there was, "Being treated like a Boy", that's a pretty volatile claim considering he walked on a 19 mph over the limit in a government car.
As it is, the claim he was treated like a "boy" is pretty much disproven by the video, However calling someone a bigot or a racist is pretty hard to take back and no, he wont apologize.

thei3ug
08-05-15, 15:56
Not only that, the cop did him a solid!
"I noticed you like going fast. Stop doing that. Now I'll issue a second warning so NO ONE EVER KNOWS you regularly flout traffic laws and it ends up in the NYT like Marco Rubio."
Smash cut to "Attention town, state, world! I was pulled over and treated racist-like! It was awful! And you'll have to take my word for it because there's no record of this happening ever, ever, ever!"

If a cop caught me going 19 over and decided not to give me points and a nice fat fine, he can call me whatever he wants. All I heard here was a slight argumentative tone. I need to run for state rep, the perks seem fantastic.

C-grunt
08-05-15, 15:58

Am I missing something?

I think Averageman was saying that racism exists as a whole, not saying that this incident shows racism.

cinco
08-05-15, 16:17
Ha ha ha. He played the Race Card and the "Don't You Know Who I Am?" Government Agent Card in an attempt to intimidate the LEO. Damn, I am truly shocked by such mentality.

Should have written his butt up for everything possible.

Eurodriver
08-05-15, 16:17

Am I missing something?

Agreed. What is racist? Thread title is misleading.

THCDDM4
08-05-15, 16:42
I believe what others here are saying is racist- is the term "boy"; and that it wasn't meant in the "young man/child" context but in the racist context- like "Son" or "boy" has been used as condescending towards blacks.

Or maybe I am wrong...?

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-15, 17:32
And here I though this thread was going to be about the black woman who hung HERSELF in her County Jail cell, the family is suing the Trooper who arrested her on traffic warrants, the SO, and Detention staff. They first tried to say she was lynched in her cell because she is black. Nope, she was just depressed and took her own life but somehow that is racist . . .

Whiskey_Bravo
08-05-15, 17:41
I assumed that's what you meant, it was the "racist" part that threw me off.

Either way, that state office needs to toughen up. He was only issued a warning for Christ's sake.

I thought Texans were tougher than that. ;)

That was a Sheriff that pulled him over. If he would have been pulled over by a State Trooper he would have more than likely gotten a ticket.

On a serious note, how in the hell could the officer been nicer in any way?

Whiskey_Bravo
08-05-15, 17:45

This. I grew up just outside of Waco and it's not the best place in the world but it gets a bad wrap. Davidians and damn bikers screwing stuff up for everyone else.

Averageman
08-05-15, 18:28
This. I grew up just outside of Waco and it's not the best place in the world but it gets a bad wrap. Davidians and damn bikers screwing stuff up for everyone else.

I'm south of Waco near Ft Hood, I don't see a lot of racism or any "ism's".
You're pretty free here to do as you please and "live and let live" seems to be the order of the day. I'm pretty far from "conventional" and nobody around here seems to care.

Hootiewho
08-06-15, 04:09
Agreed. What is racist? Thread title is misleading.

I'll tell you what's racist, that waterslide video on page 1. Looks like a TV ad from the German Alps' maybe 15-20 years ago!

I Kid I Kid

austinN4
08-06-15, 05:26
I love Texas and its pride of itself and most all the real Texan folks I have met are super cool BUT Austin seems like its the part of our bodies we sit on :) and seems to be the one place in Texas I would not ever want to live

Good, because we have too many people here already.

Geography lesson: The City of Austin is in Travis County, not Austin County where the traffic stop was.

Averageman
08-06-15, 06:25
http://www.click2houston.com/news/dashcam-video-shows-local-lawmakers-traffic-stop/34561712

Representative Garnet Coleman, of Houston, said he was "treated like a child," by an Austin County deputy sheriff during a traffic stop near Sealy.

But the Austin County sheriff has released dashcam video of the incident, saying he's willing to let the public decide if his deputy did anything wrong.

Coleman recounted the incident last week as he presided over a hearing by the Texas House Committee on County Affairs on the death of Sandra Bland. Her death last month in the Waller County Jail was ruled a suicide by hanging. It came after she was arrested during a contentious traffic stop by a Texas state trooper on July 10 in Prairie View.

During the hearing, Coleman said he was treated with rudeness and disrespect after the Austin County deputy stopped him on I-10 outside Seal

A little bit more of an explanation concerning the details.
I really hope this guy gets called to answer for this, but I have no doubt the Deputy had his life turned upside down for a bit over this.
All the evidence shows that this Lady hung herself in jail with a trash bag as a noose, the toxicology report shows that at the time of her death She had what would be in Colorado and Washington States three times the legal limit of Marijuana in here system to be able to drive, mind you, that was found during the autopsy days later.
Mr. Coleman's weak example is clearly not an example of a racist Cop, it look to me more like a guy who got off lucky and is now doing some political grandstanding.
At the very least he needs to be removed from presiding over this hearing.

SomeOtherGuy
08-06-15, 09:18
Ha ha ha. He played the Race Card and the "Don't You Know Who I Am?" Government Agent Card in an attempt to intimidate the LEO.

One of the best responses I've seen to the "Do you know who I am???" type intimidation is to simply take them literally and treat it as a case of amnesia and lost identity. Of course this was in a retail store context, but it could be used in other settings.

Employee: "I'm sorry sir, we can't do that."
Jerk: angrily says "Do you know who I am???"
Employee: picks up intercom, announces to store "Attention shoppers, we have a older gentleman in housewares who does not know who he is. If you think you might know him, please come to aisle 9."

Onyx Z
08-06-15, 10:58
I actually know this officer and I have NEVER known him to talk down to anyone, ever. He is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He is also not one to be intimidated by the whole "do you know who I am" bit.

I thought he did a mighty fine job.

Averageman
08-06-15, 13:15
I'm glad the department stood up to the State Representative and got out in front of this story and posted the video.
It's a damned shame this was all fabricated and put out there in the hopes of making some sort of name for the State Rep.

Honu
08-06-15, 13:42
hahahahah meant it as could not stand to live in such a liberal part of any state :)
well I keep hearing about issues in Austin with liberal problems :) no idea about the county lines etc... ?

this driver is most likely a liberal ? the way he handled it
just read a article folks were shocked to see Bush at the court house for Jury duty and did not pull the YOU KNOW WHO I AM I dont need to show up attitude ;) and hung out for 3-4 hours till called and did not pull the put me in front of the line etc...

then again like most Texans I meet were from there they say the jerks are from outside and movedin ? same as the islands I guess most were cool but so many jerks came in and ruined much of it
heck most mainland folks say I am done with vacation and heading back to the states :) hahahaha

Good, because we have too many people here already.

Geography lesson: The City of Austin is in Travis County, not Austin County where the traffic stop was.

brickboy240
08-06-15, 16:30
Most cities in Texas follow the same pattern.

The inner city areas of Austin, Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio and Houston are run by liberals. Liberals occupy the mayor's office and city council and many inner city Reps are leftists....like this Garnet Coleman character.

However, the outlying areas of these cities contain mostly conservative types. This is where we get leaders like Ted Cruz. Also, the largest Tea Party groups in America are located in Houston and Dallas suburbs. The IRS scandal, ala Lois Lerner, happened to a Houston suburban Tea Party group.

The inner city areas of Austin HAVE been infiltrated by many carpetbaggers coming from CA and the northeast. This is quickly changing the casual cool hippie/cowboy image of Austin. It is sad to see Austin changing like this.

Honu
08-06-15, 20:32
good info :)
curious if you ever think they will take more and more control ? or are they kinda tapped out as to what they can take over ?
maybe thinking so many want to be in the inner city parts and dont want to spread out to the country so the liberal side wont grow as much ?

Most cities in Texas follow the same pattern.

The inner city areas of Austin, Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio and Houston are run by liberals. Liberals occupy the mayor's office and city council and many inner city Reps are leftists....like this Garnet Coleman character.

However, the outlying areas of these cities contain mostly conservative types. This is where we get leaders like Ted Cruz. Also, the largest Tea Party groups in America are located in Houston and Dallas suburbs. The IRS scandal, ala Lois Lerner, happened to a Houston suburban Tea Party group.

The inner city areas of Austin HAVE been infiltrated by many carpetbaggers coming from CA and the northeast. This is quickly changing the casual cool hippie/cowboy image of Austin. It is sad to see Austin changing like this.

brickboy240
08-07-15, 11:18
Nope.

This situation with liberals running the inner cities here has been going on for decades. the days of Democrats grabbing up the governor's office, lt. governor's office, atty general or our Senate seats is very...VERY far away.

In fact, every election cycle, their candidates for governor, lt. governor and Senate seats get worse and worse! That Wendy Davis character was a total embarrassment.

So nope...even with the influx of illegals and CA and NY people, I don't see Texas going blue anytime soon. Oh there is always lots of talk about it, come election seasons but the numbers don't bear it out.

Many of the CA and NY transplants I meet are conservatives that had enough of the morons running their states. Many I know voted for Ted Cruz and Gregg Abbott.

Abraham
08-07-15, 13:16
Hey, I'm a bigshot politician and I'm black.

You, yeah you white boy, can't win.

Plus, if I want to drive fast enough to break the sound barrier, I can.

Get it honkey?

Honu
08-07-15, 15:56
Nope.

This situation with liberals running the inner cities here has been going on for decades. the days of Democrats grabbing up the governor's office, lt. governor's office, atty general or our Senate seats is very...VERY far away.

In fact, every election cycle, their candidates for governor, lt. governor and Senate seats get worse and worse! That Wendy Davis character was a total embarrassment.

So nope...even with the influx of illegals and CA and NY people, I don't see Texas going blue anytime soon. Oh there is always lots of talk about it, come election seasons but the numbers don't bear it out.

Many of the CA and NY transplants I meet are conservatives that had enough of the morons running their states. Many I know voted for Ted Cruz and Gregg Abbott.

Averageman
08-07-15, 17:38
Nope.

If we can punish these sanctuary cities and get some voter ID that the Feds wont nullify, we might actually get some of the bigger Cities back.
I think there are some Loons in Austin, but day by day I think these folks are seeing the failure of liberal policy.There is beginning to be some push back.
As an example, these jack wagons would like to build bike lanes everywhere. I'm not a fan of spending all that money on bike lanes when the majority of people wont ever use them. It is going to be 100+ degrees here for the next Month, so ride your bike to work every morning, it's not the traffic that's gonna kill you, it's your boss when you show up smelling like a fifth graders gym sock at 8 am.