PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Exchange Rules - seems like everyone needs a refresher

SHIVAN
08-05-15, 13:53
Equipment Exchange Rules (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?37102-EE-Procedures-and-Rules)

48hrs means 48hrs. If you bump your ad, which includes trying to be "slick" and posting pictures 4hrs after you first post the ad. I will probably just trash the ad.

No more than three ads should appear on the "front page". If you list 12 items in 8 different subforums, you will have 12 on the front page. I will probably delete nine of them.

If you bump an ad, you might get an infraction. If you bumped it four times before I caught you, you might get an infraction for each one, and earn a vacation, and an ad deletion.

Read the simple rules. Follow them.

Ryno12
08-05-15, 14:46
How about an infraction for those who bump their ads with a "SOLD" post?

Same with the members who delete the info once an item is sold. That becomes garbage that just takes up space.

SHIVAN
08-05-15, 15:38
I'm watching them all, and asked everyone else of the mods to do the same. There may be gentler approaches and harder approaches, but at the end of the day, if you break the very simple rules -- anything could happen, up to an ad deletion or ban.

It's a nuisance to babysit, so now the onus goes back to the users.

SHIVAN
08-07-15, 08:59
Up to the top; for more reviews.

JSantoro
08-07-15, 15:31
How about an infraction for those who bump their ads with a "SOLD" post?

Same with the members who delete the info once an item is sold. That becomes garbage that just takes up space.

From the EE rules:

Once you have sold the item you are selling or found the item you are buying, please edit your original ad and change the title.

If the ad's author only posts "SOLD," or takes some other action that doesn't include editing the title as directed to correctly reflect the status of the ad, they're not doing their part as directed.

If anybody sees that, and we don't for whatever reason, PM me with a link to the ad or use Report Post. It'll get corrected, and pee-pees slapped as required.

JBecker 72
08-07-15, 15:35
Good.

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 12:25
This shit happens a lot (sold items being bumped)

Am I going to start annoying the shit out of mods if I begin reporting these? I don't want to make more work for folks. I know the report post button goes to every mod, correct?

I was just browsing the EE and saw 3 items at the top of their respective sub forums and all had been bumped to say "SOLD PLEASE DELETE"

Seems like reporting 3 posts is a lot

SHIVAN
08-10-15, 12:51
Whatever gets us in the mindset of following the very simplistic rules would be a good start.

markm
08-10-15, 13:09
I think a lot of users don't know to click on the advanced button when they edit their ad. This way you can change it to SOLD without creating a bump to the ad.

black22rifle
08-10-15, 13:24
So is it required to leave the info in the ad?

JSantoro
08-10-15, 13:38
I had to ask that question, having not used the EE until after I rogered up to do this mod stuff...it follows that we can edit just about anything, but the regular membership may not get that they can do that in the EE.

If you can post an ad in the EE, you can edit your ad's title; no staff assistance required.

As for notifying us of instances where folks either don't know, can't #$%ing read, or have anointed themselves with some Special Snowflake status they don't rate -- we're asking you to do it.

I know that the only reason I've ever Gibbs-slapped anybody over using Report Post is 1) when they think they're submitting a post TO a thread...which boggles my mind, since the Report Post and Submit buttons are marked and in completely different locations, and 2) when the one using Report Post types out a smart-ass message to the staff, as if we're supposed to be clairvoyant (HINT: If we were, there's be such button). The former is basically an accident, and gets a talking-to/hip-pocket class on how the 21st Century works; the latter is somebody pitching a legit alert, but letting either their shitty personality or personal pique come through in their typing, which rates a (sometimes very) sharp reminder that we're the forum staff, not the forum membership's bitches, no matter what kind of :internetbadass: somebody thinks they are.

Normal business...? Just gets handled. Report Post remains underutilized; report away.

Info left in the ad -- here's the policy, emphasis mine:

Do not edit the final sale price from your ad. It is helpful for the buyer, seller and this community to know what items sold for recently, and in the past.

So, don't delete RELEVANT info. What it is, what it sold for.

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 14:15
I think a lot of users don't know to click on the advanced button when they edit their ad. This way you can change it to SOLD without creating a bump to the ad.

That's a good point. Regular users can edit the title of their ads (I always change my prefix to SOLD) but only see the option if they click Go Advanced.

SHIVAN and JSantoro, thank you very much. I'm going to be on bed rest for the next 13 days and I'm perusing the EE to enhance my collection. I just wanted to make sure if I sent a 3 or 4 of these notifications in a row it wouldn't be seen as "making the mods membership's bitches" ;)

Nothing irritates me more than seeing a new item at the top of the Handgun forum that I have great interest in purchasing, click the link and read the entire OP thinking "Wow, I'm gonna PM this guy but let me scroll down to see if he lowered his price" and then seeing "Item is SPF" as the last post. This has happened before and I used to PM them if they were frequent sellers and explain the rules, but half of them replied with "**** off" and the other half didn't.

austinN4
08-10-15, 14:25
Nothing irritates me more than seeing a new item at the top of the Handgun forum that I have great interest in purchasing, click the link and read the entire OP thinking "Wow, I'm gonna PM this guy but let me scroll down to see if he lowered his price" and then seeing "Item is SPF" as the last post. This has happened before and I used to PM them if they were frequent sellers and explain the rules, but half of them replied with "**** off" and the other half didn't.
I second this.

Waylander
08-10-15, 16:28

This plus I don't think it's even possible on Tapatalk...other than adding it in the thread title which wasn't working in Tapatalk for a while.

SteveL
08-10-15, 17:56
These EE threads have been timely. I'm also going to start hitting the report button any time I see someone specify payment through "discreet PayPal gift".

SHIVAN
08-10-15, 18:32
Usually, what I do, until I receive positive feedback, is keep my photos hosted on Photobucket, but remove them from the ad. I have them in case someone gets something and says, "Wasn't pictured that way...and now the pics are gone."

"Colt 1911 mint condition, $1000 - SOLD" -- should be easy enough to keep intact though

JBecker 72
08-11-15, 12:59
This plus I don't think it's even possible on Tapatalk...other than adding it in the thread title which wasn't working in Tapatalk for a while.

In Tapatalk there is the feature to go to a web view, and you can then edit the post title from your smart phone. Click on he 3 dots on the top right of your screen.

nova3930
08-11-15, 14:09
These EE threads have been timely. I'm also going to start hitting the report button any time I see someone specify payment through "discreet PayPal gift".

I agree about the timeliness. Until I read them I had no idea "discrete paypal" was prohibited. The sticky thread in the EE concerning procedures and rules isn't up to date in that respect. If I could make a small suggestion to the staff it would be to update that post.....

SHIVAN
08-11-15, 15:54
Gifting is the issue, not keeping the type of merch being acquired on the down low.

nova3930
08-11-15, 16:25
Gifting is the issue

Understood. Probably my own ignorance but I thought "gifting" and "discrete paypal" were synonymous. Even still the rules sticky in the EE doesn't say anything about gifting. I'm not gonna tell another man how to run his shop, but the possibility I coulda got hammered for violating a rule that wasn't actually listed in the rules just kinda bugs me....

SHIVAN
08-11-15, 16:29
It's against Paypal policy. Paypal tracks website activity, and has suspended my account on two occasions for fielding "raffle" entries via paypal for people injured or wronged in the gun community.

I would say our policy on gifting would be the least of your worries in using the gifting practice. As a seller you could lose the access to the funds. As a buyer you are completely unprotected when you gift.

Rule? Not really. I view it as identifying a scammer, and have told people how I view the practice.