PDA

View Full Version : Tactical way of life question.

elephant
08-06-15, 02:58
sorry if this is long:

I have read several articles in Recoil/Offgrid magazine relating to "SHTF" scenarios. It seem that this is a popular movement lately and I have noticed a huge shift when it comes to awareness and preparation. Anyways, I see a lot of tactical clothing and gear lately that seems to be focused or centered around the urban "SHTF" minded consumer. There are pants with intergraded pockets for 30rd magazines, over the shoulder bags for concealing a SBR or PDW and plate carrier vest that are styled in a non military tradition and fashioned in a way to be less aggressive and more "excepted by society". I have even seen advertisements from manufactures that have entire lines of tactical clothing designed to fit in without drawing noticeable attention from others. I like the idea and I even like the "outdoorsman" look . In your honest opinion, would this be considered extreme today or totally normal in todays times. Is this a way of life for some people, in regards to always being prepared? Would you draw negative attention from law enforcement if you were to wear pants with a 30rd magpul in its designated pocket while carrying a concealed PDW in a over the shoulder bag? Or is this just a "when society breaks down" type of gear. I ask because I few local military surplus stores I shop at are always sold out of all their 5.11, Voodoo, Blackhawk, Maxpedtion and Condor clothing and accessories within a few days after delivery and it seems that more and more products are being sold and more business are entering this market.

Eurodriver
08-06-15, 04:53
You want my opinion? Ok.

Wearing tactical clothing is stupid. If it isn't SHTF you look like a complete douche. I see guys all the time wearing Oakley boots and 5.11 pants. At McDonalds on the beach in Florida. Are those pants going to do something for you that shorts won't? Then again, I care what I look like because I actually get laid. Some guys might not be into that.

If it is SHTF wearing tactical clothing is even dumber. If I'm sitting back in my house with the window open looking out for bad guys, who am I going to shoot first? The Middle Aged fat guy wearing jeans and a t shirt or the wanna be war hero? It's called "shoot me first" gear for a reason.

The tactical clothing thing is not a sign of the times nor is it "accepted" by society. It is simply clothing manufacturers hyping product to a gullible full retard segment of gun owners who think that's what is needed to succeed in a (mythical) gunfight

elephant
08-06-15, 05:12
that was mostly on par with how I felt about this. I see a lot of people lately dressed like Blackwater contractors and I think they look ridiculous. I went to a Texas Rangers game and I saw more people wearing desert tan operator hats with the American flag patches, desert tan Oakley boots, some type of desert tan tactical shirt and one guy was wearing a afghan scarf and I was like "were not in the freaking desert"! I like the idea in the fact that its a better alternative than wearing surplus military clothing and the fact that I like to wear North Face clothes and they resemble that look.

SeriousStudent
08-06-15, 22:20
....... I went to a Texas Rangers game and I saw more people wearing desert tan operator hats with the American flag patches, desert tan Oakley boots, some type of desert tan tactical shirt and one guy was wearing a afghan scarf and I was like "were not in the freaking desert"! I like the idea in the fact that its a better alternative than wearing surplus military clothing and the fact that I like to wear North Face clothes and they resemble that look.

We call those people California Angels fans. :cool:

...said the old dude with shorts, flip flops and a ridiculously expensive cigar.

And a range card of the neighborhood, with lased distances. Because I always hedge my bets.

Koshinn
08-07-15, 01:46
And a range card of the neighborhood, with lased distances. Because I always hedge my bets.

Only the neighborhood? Mediocre. Btw, you in Vegas right now?

Seriously though, I wear what's comfortable. Living in an actual desert, it's light-colored and breathable clothing. Sometimes in fall or spring when it's a little chilly, I wear my one pair of Propper "tactical" pants.

I don't take it everywhere, but my SBR lives in a tennis racket bag with suppressor, extra mags of federal softpoint 5.56, and sling. I also do play tennis so that helps. If you use the tennis bag carry method but you don't look like you're ready to play tennis, load up a gym bag and bring that too for your "towel, shirt, shorts, socks, tennis shoes, extra balls, grip tape, water, sweat headband, sweat wrist band, etc."

Straight Shooter
08-07-15, 07:17
Ill say this about some of the tactical clothing...some of that stuff is really comfy. Plus..if you carry a lot of EDC gear, they work far better than jeans. THAT said, I 100% agree that A LOT of guys, mostly WANNABE'S....go way overboard with it. They are almost always posers, and a 2 minute conversation with them will usually bear this out.
I LOVE my shirts from Bowling Concepts, the Charlie Sheen shirts are AWESOME to CCW under. I try to look like the biggest schmuck in town when Im out. aint too hard for me either!

Eurodriver
08-07-15, 07:28
I'm not saying that all of that clothing is for posers, although my post may have come across that way.

Oakley boots and breathable 5.11 pants probably makes sense if you live in the desert.

When it's 95* and humid as hell and you're in Miami FL at a gun show? Not so much. Additionally if you are wearing tactical anything and your waist size starts with the number 4 your priorities are wrong. A heart attack is going to kill you much quicker than a bad guy wth a gun.

Straight Shooter
08-07-15, 07:32
When it's 95* and humid as hell and you're in Miami FL at a gun show? Not so much. Additionally if you are wearing tactical anything and your waist size starts with the number 4 your priorities are wrong. A heart attack is going to kill you much quicker than a bad guy wth a gun.

BURNING TRUTH.

Abraham
08-07-15, 07:48
Eurodriver,

Your first post in this thread is absolutely spot on!

Douche Nozzles wear camo and tactical because they have the "look at me - look at me" syndrome.

mikelowrey
08-07-15, 19:59
I'm not saying that all of that clothing is for posers, although my post may have come across that way.

Oakley boots and breathable 5.11 pants probably makes sense if you live in the desert.

Amazing when I see those youtube videos with their tactical operator tier 1 beards too. Going to the mall around the area you can spot them a mile away including the previous description in clothing options.

SeriousStudent
08-07-15, 21:19
Only the neighborhood? Mediocre. Btw, you in Vegas right now?

You don't know how big my definition of "neighborhood" is. :cool:

Nah, not attending either conference this year. I sent two of the minons, as a reward for good behavior.

TMW89
08-10-15, 08:32
I might be into that type of attire if it wasn't so expensive. $60+ for a pair of pants? And they don't even make my junk look bigger?

sevenhelmet
08-10-15, 10:48
I do own exactly one pair of 5.11 pants in Khaki, or maybe it's called "Coyote", I don't really remember. I have a pair of shorts as well, same color. Both are comfortable, look good, and most men here wear cargo pants/shorts and T-shirts in the 100-115F desert summer, so nobody would give me a second glance.

As for the "cool factor", I did buy a set of multicam (pants and shirt) a while back just for fun, and I have worn them exactly zero times. They're too heavy for backpacking, and for everything else they're too... camo. I'm not sure what I thought I'd use them for, I just thought they were cool. Damn it all, I bought into the fad in a moment of weakness. Maybe the camo will be fun on Halloween when I'm out with my little kids. Or maybe I can sell them to some tacticool genius operator with a beard. He has to have a beard though. If he doesn't have a beard, he's not legit.

I think this "tacticool" stuff is a fad, and I think some people are (slowly) starting to wake up and realize that looking like a supersecret ninja-rifle battle ranger is a bad idea for a whole bunch of reasons. Hence the shift toward more "civilian friendly" options as the companies try to move with the times. I think it's a good business model- they do a good job of making it look enticing, but whenever I stop to think about it, I realize it's all hideously overpriced, and I don't need any of it. When (if?) I have money to burn, ammo and practical training is ultimately more fun and much more useful.

daddyusmaximus
08-10-15, 11:50

BURNING TRUTH.

What do you got against old fat retired guys?

I'm a size 40, but I'm also 52, and I did 28 years before I got blowed up. Sometimes I miss the Army, and want to relive my youth, so I'll wear my 5.11 pants. However, I don't walk around with my SBR in a bag over my shoulder.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I used to make fun of fat guys. (still do, if they're fatter than me) I too find the current fad of so many out there trying to walk around acting like they're on a mission in Iraq or the 'stan is insanely funny. Just remember that while most fat guys may live up to the stereotype, there are old, fat, experienced, combat vets out there too. Some of us even walk with a cane.

Many criminal types would probably think of a fat guy with a cane as an easy target, until they're on the ground seeing stars, or staring at a 1911. This must be why so many bad guys are pack hunters. As much as all these "operators" are funny to watch, I find the "street thug" even more funny... but so damn irritating. At least all these fake operators can pull their tacticool pants up past their ass.

Mr blasty
08-10-15, 12:23
What do you got against old fat retired guys?

I'm a size 40, but I'm also 52, and I did 28 years before I got blowed up. Sometimes I miss the Army, and want to relive my youth, so I'll wear my 5.11 pants. However, I don't walk around with my SBR in a bag over my shoulder.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I used to make fun of fat guys. (still do, if they're fatter than me) I too find the current fad of so many out there trying to walk around acting like they're on a mission in Iraq or the 'stan is insanely funny. Just remember that while most fat guys may live up to the stereotype, there are old, fat, experienced, combat vets out there too. Some of us even walk with a cane.

Many criminal types would probably think of a fat guy with a cane as an easy target, until they're on the ground seeing stars, or staring at a 1911. This must be why so many bad guys are pack hunters. As much as all these "operators" are funny to watch, I find the "street thug" even more funny... but so damn irritating. At least all these fake operators can pull their tacticool pants up past their ass.

You seem to have a good grasp on things. Nothing wrong with a bit of tactical ninja play or using the best gear available for actual real hard use, but some people will insist on buying crye to go to Walmart and an air soft match.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

SOWT
08-10-15, 12:33
I have 5.11's but they were required by a former employer.
I wear them around the house as work pants which means I also wear them at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Dickies are my pants of choice (for now).

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 15:24
There is a difference between wearing 5.11 pants, and wearing 5.11 pants with desert tan boots, a riggers belt, an American flag patch desert camo hat.

jpmuscle
08-10-15, 15:35
I have 5.11's but they were required by a former employer.
I wear them around the house as work pants which means I also wear them at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Dickies are my pants of choice (for now).
I've been really digging my recent dickies pants purchase. I think they were the cargo ones? Either way they have gray, tan, green, black, navy (I think). 20$ bucks at Walmart and their cut pretty decent. 100% cotton so they should wear in to be pretty comfy eventually.

Not the work pants either.

Koshinn
08-10-15, 22:12
There is a difference between wearing 5.11 pants, and wearing 5.11 pants with desert tan boots, a riggers belt, an American flag patch desert camo hat.

Anyone who wears 5.11 pants is making a terrible decision.

Propper makes far better pants.

itsnotjon
08-11-15, 10:12
I personally enjoy the influx of new products on the market.
It is awesome that you can buy what looks like a normal messenger bag that is actually concealing a pdw and plates.
I prefer the grey man style (wearing J.Crew chinos and a polo shirt with a G19 ), but to each his own.

sevenhelmet
08-11-15, 11:00
This topic is starting to remind me of listening to a bunch of ladies playing bridge on Sunday...

docsherm
08-11-15, 11:03
A lot of it has to do with all of the games out there like COD and such. That and the increasing amount of people that play airsoft and those that just think it is cool. There is also the regular Soldier/ Marine that wears it around. Those are the best. They sport all of this "Cool Guy" stuff that they would get in deep trouble for trying to wear while working. Those are the best. It is becoming a lot more common to see. You can't turn on the TV without seeing someone who is dressed like an "Operator" or "Contractor". Now days it can be hard to tell if someone is doing PSD or just going to Walmart. In a way it is good. Once people become desensitized to seeing it it makes it easier to blend into the background while wearing it.

Overall it is good. It brings the prices down and increases the amount and type of clothes and gear in the market.

Eurodriver
08-11-15, 11:26
This topic is starting to remind me of listening to a bunch of ladies playing bridge on Sunday...

How much 5.11 you got on right now bro?

Moose-Knuckle
08-12-15, 17:58
sorry if this is long:

I have read several articles in Recoil/Offgrid magazine relating to "SHTF" scenarios. It seem that this is a popular movement lately and I have noticed a huge shift when it comes to awareness and preparation. Anyways, I see a lot of tactical clothing and gear lately that seems to be focused or centered around the urban "SHTF" minded consumer. There are pants with intergraded pockets for 30rd magazines, over the shoulder bags for concealing a SBR or PDW and plate carrier vest that are styled in a non military tradition and fashioned in a way to be less aggressive and more "excepted by society". I have even seen advertisements from manufactures that have entire lines of tactical clothing designed to fit in without drawing noticeable attention from others. I like the idea and I even like the "outdoorsman" look . In your honest opinion, would this be considered extreme today or totally normal in todays times. Is this a way of life for some people, in regards to always being prepared? Would you draw negative attention from law enforcement if you were to wear pants with a 30rd magpul in its designated pocket while carrying a concealed PDW in a over the shoulder bag? Or is this just a "when society breaks down" type of gear. I ask because I few local military surplus stores I shop at are always sold out of all their 5.11, Voodoo, Blackhawk, Maxpedtion and Condor clothing and accessories within a few days after delivery and it seems that more and more products are being sold and more business are entering this market.

Good thread idea, here is my $0.02. It's worth what you paid for it . . .

My modus operandi has always been to be the "gray man". I don't want to draw attention to myself. You want urban camouflage, try donning a ball cap, t-shrit/sweat shirt and a pair of blue jeans. No one will ever see you lol.

I don't own any "tactical" clothing but have invested in PRACTICAL clothing. Duluth Trading, REI, Rail Riders, etc. all make bomb proof clothing with lifetime warranties in Earth tones that have mesh vents and UPF sun protection for hot weather. If it's SHTF that is what I'll be wearing in the warmer months, articles that reflect heat from the sun and breath to keep me cool. 5.11 pants are nothing more than Royal Robbins, old school mountain climber pants. I cannot wear them due to there crotches. I only buy pants with gusseted crotches otherwise I'm singing soprano. This eliminates 99% of denim jeans for me as well. No loss there. I've been issued 5.11 tactical polos for my uniform at work (LEO) and can say they are complete POS. They tear, fade, blah waste of money at the tax payers expense.

It was a 106° F in the shade at my casa yesterday and that's with about 70-80% humidity. In the hot months I wear Tru-Spec 24/7 shorts in Earth tones. I have owned just about every brand of cargo shorts out there and the 24/7 "tactical series" (aargh) works best. I EDC a spare G19 mag, Spyderco folder, SF white light, et al. on my person and the hidden pockets inside the cargo pockets hold all of my EDC items famously!

The clothing brands mentioned in your OP are imported crap. If you can buy them in the Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsman's Guide catalogs then I'd stay clear of them. Your typical gun show fodder eats this stuff up. Let them.

During the 70's at the height of the Cold War there was a Survivalist movement. Lots of books, interest in all things firearms, etc. Now with all the "prepper reality TV shows" combined with recent world events, America's social/political climate, periodicals like American Survival Guide, Off Grid, Be Ready, Survivors Edge, et al. things have come full circle.

sevenhelmet
08-12-15, 18:52
How much 5.11 you got on right now bro?

Zero. That 5.11 is sooooo last week. Besides, I just got home from work. But I'm about to put on my camo, sling up my new gucci tactical satchel, and do some serious neighborhood ops! Want to come with? I need more people in my Wolf Pack. :jester:

http://i57.tinypic.com/mwxye1.jpg

Voodoo_Man
08-12-15, 19:00
Less worrying about others, more worrying about yourself.

Does it really matter what other people wear?

Vogue, Tactical would probably sell a shit ton.

sevenhelmet
08-12-15, 19:04
Vogue, Tactical would probably sell a shit ton.

That actually exists... I believe it's called Recoil. :D

But seriously, I have no problem with any of the tactical stuff. Yes, I own 5.11... exactly two pieces of clothing. is that like coming out of the closet on M4C? If so, I guess my secret is out. I have way more Columbia, REI, and Underarmor, but hey, variety is the spice of life and they all make good clothes.

26 Inf
08-12-15, 22:17
I've got twop pair of Wrangler/Riggs Technical pants, bought them at Cabellas, tan/khaki and green, wish they had other colors, I really like them.

Moose-Knuckle
08-13-15, 18:11
I've got twop pair of Wrangler/Riggs Technical pants, bought them at Cabellas, tan/khaki and green, wish they had other colors, I really like them.

Cabelas probably only carries certain items from the Riggs line. According to Wrangler's site they offer their Riggs Ranger pants in six different colors. Appear to have promo going where if you buy two pairs you save $10.

http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/category/men/riggs-workwear.html#currentPage=1

3ACR_Scout
08-16-15, 15:46
I have three pairs of 5.11 shorts I bought at the PX years ago for a good price. I cut the little blue tags off of them, and they look like just about any other brand of cargo shorts. They're comfortable and durable, but they're pretty heavy and hot compared to more "modern" designs. I discover Kuhl's shorts a few years ago and wear those almost exclusively now. However, I have to admit that the stitching on the Kuhl belt loops took a beating from the Velcro on the rigger's belt I had to wear on a previous deployment (which sounds silly, I know).

Dave

elephant
08-21-15, 03:22
This was a question on the actual way of life, not just the clothing. I guess my real question I didn't want to ask for fear of feeling stupid cause im new here was, do people actually go out into public with a backpack with a PDW in it, 30 round magpul in modular pants pocket, concealed tactical first aid kit on utility belt and Oakley assault gloves, because in some of these advertisements, it would appear that, this is the direction these companies are going with there marketing. I was just wondering if any of you had a ballistic helmet with NVG's, plate carrier complete w/ glowsticks, mags, radio with folded antenna, first aid, a suppressed AR with AN/PEQ and ELCAN just sitting in your trunk in your car?

Mr blasty
08-21-15, 10:23
This was a question on the actual way of life, not just the clothing. I guess my real question I didn't want to ask for fear of feeling stupid cause im new here was, do people actually go out into public with a backpack with a PDW in it, 30 round magpul in modular pants pocket, concealed tactical first aid kit on utility belt and Oakley assault gloves, because in some of these advertisements, it would appear that, this is the direction these companies are going with there marketing. I was just wondering if any of you had a ballistic helmet with NVG's, plate carrier complete w/ glowsticks, mags, radio with folded antenna, first aid, a suppressed AR with AN/PEQ and ELCAN just sitting in your trunk in your car?

Although where I'm at is definitely pretty safe and I certainly don't do this, there are areas of the US where I probably wouldn't go without such a load out.

elephant
08-21-15, 12:22
Although where I'm at is definitely pretty safe and I certainly don't do this, there are areas of the US where I probably wouldn't go without such a load out.

well, in certain cases like the ones we have seen in the last couple of years like Ferguson and Baltimore, I think it would be wise to have a load out of some kind, even if it was a light load, you would need to get your family to safety.

Moose-Knuckle
08-21-15, 15:29
All my vehicles have small get home bags.

I keep a Kalashnikov with side folder in a BFG Denied Area discreet bag and a bandoleer of mags for it in my truck. It goes in the house with me when I get home from work.

As for everything else, I just have my CCW and EDC (blade, light, extra CCW mag, etc). No battle rattle here. I cannot imagine someone leaving $10K worth of SBR, PC, suppressor, NODs, in an automobile while they are out buying groceries.

Straight Shooter
08-21-15, 21:45

Brother...as a former OTR truck driver with well over 1.3 million miles driving around this country and Canada..I cant tell you enough how right you are, its actually worse than most know, I promise you.

GO_ALLOUT
08-21-15, 21:52
Brother...as a former OTS truck driver with well over 1.3 million miles driving around this country and Canada..I cant tell you enough how right you are, its actually worse than most know, I promise you.
Sad but true...

elephant
08-21-15, 21:56
Brother...as a former OTS truck driver with well over 1.3 million miles driving around this country and Canada..I cant tell you enough how right you are, its actually worse than most know, I promise you.

I guess there is a side to America that's not on calendars and postcards and most people will probably never see.

HardToHandle
08-21-15, 22:30
I was just wondering if any of you had a ballistic helmet with NVG's, plate carrier complete w/ glowsticks, mags, radio with folded antenna, first aid, a suppressed AR with AN/PEQ and ELCAN just sitting in your trunk in your car?

No, not all of that list, but some of it is in my vehicle now.
It is the tenth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. I was there, it sucked, it was dangerous and I wish I had been better prepared.

I now live close enough to Ferguson, MO to have had some candid discussions with local law enforcement. An acquaintance from the FBI recently described how he and his family rode out the Baltimore riots earlier this year. To each their own, but having a plan and the resources to execute the plan is never far from my mind.

Do I wear shoot-me-first 5.11 tactical pants to the mall? No.
Do some of us have a tactical mindset? Yes.

elephant
08-21-15, 22:58
No, not all of that list, but some of it is in my vehicle now.
It is the tenth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. I was there, it sucked, it was dangerous and I wish I had been better prepared.

I now live close enough to Ferguson, MO to have had some candid discussions with local law enforcement. An acquaintance from the FBI recently described how he and his family rode out the Baltimore riots earlier this year. To each their own, but having a plan and the resources to execute the plan is never far from my mind.

That is a good way of thinking, I guess its a little of whats in the trunk, but mostly whats in the mind.

Mr blasty
08-22-15, 10:42
well, in certain cases like the ones we have seen in the last couple of years like Ferguson and Baltimore, I think it would be wise to have a load out of some kind, even if it was a light load, you would need to get your family to safety.

Heck, I'm talking about people needing hidden rifles and mags on there person just doing day to day stuff. Many of the border areas, certain cities, certain wilderness eras. There are places in this country that have been hijacked by hyperviolent assholes. I may not be in these areas but I'm certainly aware of there existence.

Mr blasty
08-22-15, 10:44

My brother drove OTR trucking. He got to see plenty of things he didn't care for.

BuzzinSATX
08-22-15, 13:54

What's in my vehicle/on my person varies greatly when I walk out the door. I currently live near where I work, on a US military base, so I cannot carry nor be in possession of a firearm. I can technically carry mags and ammo and used to have several Glock and AR mags in a pouch under my back seat, but when I get hit for random vehicle searches, it can really slow things down, so I have since taken them out. Otherwise, I keep several handheld lights, first air/blowout/trauma kit, rope/cordage, several folding knives, a small hatchet, basic tools, jumper candles, candles, blankets, a tarp, box of 55 gal heavy duty contractor trash bags, tow strap, hand towels, change of clothes, reusable water bottle with filter, several ways to make fire, etc. in my vehicle. I don't carry armor or any NVG. I keep my vehicles clean and well maintain. My fuel gauges never read less than half a tank, and half is rare...I typically fill up at 5/8 tank. This way, I never have to fuel up in a less than desirable area...ever.

When running around town, I'll have a handgun and an extra magazine and EDC knife/light on my person.

On any trip beyond what I consider "walk home distance (say 20 miles), I have a backpack with extra magazine/ammo and additional supplies.

Based on everyone I know, and excluding the concentration of folks on firearms and survival forums, I believe I am probably better prepared for any contingency than 95% of the general population. I have the means to defend myself, make fire and collect water, and build a shelter if needed. I could not fight of hordes of zombie or spontaneous armed, rampaging gangs. Heck, you carry a pocket knife and a lighter, and you will be doing better than half our population these days.

Pay attention to your surroundings and keep a 'gray man' profile. It's worked for me.

YMMV.

Moose-Knuckle
08-23-15, 23:33
Based on everyone I know, and excluding the concentration of folks on firearms and survival forums, I believe I am probably better prepared for any contingency than 95% of the general population. I have the means to defend myself, make fire and collect water, and build a shelter if needed.

Heck, you carry a pocket knife and a lighter, and you will be doing better than half our population these days.

Lot of truth in this.

JusticeM4
08-24-15, 03:55

This is more spot on.

IMO its not about the appearance, but the mindset of being prepared. One's location and day-to-day activities are also a factor e.g. if you travel alone in dangerous areas or remote locations that may require such gear.