PDA

View Full Version : Recce 7 vs Omega 762 on M4 and 308 Bolt Gun

dm_graham308
08-06-15, 09:51
Disclaimer: I searched on google, yahoo, and using the "search" on here and found little info about these 2 suppressors matched side by side.

I am currently running 10.5" and 14.5" AR "pistol" and a 16" AR in 556. Also I am running a custom 22" R700 in 762. I am in the process of starting a trust to sbr my AR and start my suppressor paperwork. My biggest question is whether to go with the Griffin Armament Recce 7 and the SilencerCo Omega 762 with the 556 endcap( I spelled those out all the way to help future searchers). I run my 16" AR hard and I plan on doing the same with the 10.5" and the 14.5" when the SBR paperwork gets back. I also run my R700 for long range shooting and hunting so maintaining accuracy is a must. I also want to just run one can for now. Not sure when I would be able to buy a dedicated 556 can. And that brings me to my next point. If/when I get a dedicated 556 can, which 762 can would be best suited to be a dedicated can on the R700? I have no problem with a little bit of poi shift, as long as it is repeatable so I can keep it in my log book. I just want my R700 to stay a 1/2 moa rifle with the can on it.

Order of importance:
Accuracy
Sound Reduction
Length
Weight

For those of you running a GA can with a taper mount (or any other comapny's taper mount), do yall have any issues with the can wanting to come loose under hard use and high round counts? Just not sure that the taper mount would be as secure/effective as the ASR mount.

Thanks,
Dave

Horsehide
08-08-15, 09:58
My priorities order is slightly different than yours, with sound reduction coming in last, but the same concern about the taper mount made us go with Specwar 556 Ks over Recce 5s. Too many vibrations associated with extreme temperature changes would likely loosen things up pretty quickly. Not so much a concern on a straight precision rig where you can check/tighten the can frequently, but for a duty weapon, I would not chance it.
I did contact Austin and Evan at GA and they recommended we went with their M4SD gate-type mount. Didn't care for it much, hence the Specwars...

PatrioticDisorder
08-08-15, 11:11
My priorities order is slightly different than yours, with sound reduction coming in last, but the same concern about the taper mount made us go with Specwar 556 Ks over Recce 5s. Too many vibrations associated with extreme temperature changes would likely loosen things up pretty quickly. Not so much a concern on a straight precision rig where you can check/tighten the can frequently, but for a duty weapon, I would not chance it.
I did contact Austin and Evan at GA and they recommended we went with their M4SD gate-type mount. Didn't care for it much, hence the Specwars...

They've already made some changes to the Recce series, all for the better (currently on mod 3), if I could advise GA on changes to make for a mod 4, I'd say add a locking ring like the dead air and rugged cans (also taper mounts) and they'd have one hell of a can, also add mini versions for the 5 & 7 and they would be damn competitive with anything on the market I think.

dm_graham308
08-08-15, 15:59
Yeah, I was wondering about the mount. I emailed them and found out that the only main difference between the 5 and the SD2 are the mountinv system. With that in mind, I might go with the SD2 for a hard use rig. But it is hard to ignore the 7 as a do-all setup.

Side note:I have talked to GA and asked them several questions and they have always answered back with about 10 mins; even when I emailed them after 8pm the other night. I find it hard to buy from another company when they have top notch customer service.

ToeTagger6552
01-20-16, 15:51
I am considering a recce 7 and an omega. Any further updates anyone could add to assist my decision.....

B585
01-25-16, 12:15
I am considering a recce 7 and an omega. Any further updates anyone could add to assist my decision.....

Same here

ToeTagger6552
01-25-16, 12:33
I went ahead and ordered one yesterday...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Noodles
01-25-16, 14:48
My priorities order is slightly different than yours, with sound reduction coming in last,

Yes. I'm just so confused when people list weight as unimportant and also list sound above most else.

Rifle cans are loud, all of them. If it's a semi-auto and supersonic, it's not hearing safe. That's just something you learn when you have enough time with them. But length and weight being least important... I don't get it! You always have to carry the thing around.

I would have voted Omega.

dm_graham308
01-25-16, 22:12
I'm not having to hump around the woods or desert anymore. Most of my shooting is done on a flat range, especially my bolt gun, because it is a 15lb precision rifle. The only hunting that I do with it is out of a shoot-house where I can rest it on a sandbag. As for the weight, there is only about 3oz of difference between the Omega and the Recce 7, which is not a deal breaker. I understand that supers are loud. I have many many rounds through M110s so I know what to expect from rifle cans. Plus I might run some subs(before everyone jumps on me, I will make sure that the subs are stabilizing at the muzzle before using them with a suppressor) through the bolt gun and the ARs for quiet, single shot, fun in the backyard and on predators.

I have decided to just do a M4SDII and a Recce 7 and leave the 7 on the bolt gun and run the M4SDII on all my 556 barrels.

VIP3R 237
01-25-16, 22:43
I have a gen 1 Recce 7 and I've never had an issue of it coming loose on my rifles in almost 5k rounds. Accuracy and poi shift are repeatable. It's an excellent can and the gen3 models are even more so.

dm_graham308
01-25-16, 22:46
I have a gen 1 Recce 7 and I've never had an issue of it coming loose on my rifles in almost 5k rounds. Accuracy and poi shift are repeatable. It's an excellent can and the gen3 models are even more so.

That's awesome to hear! I really haven't heard much from users about the taper mount, but I have never heard anything bad about their mount either. It's good to hear another positive review though.

ToeTagger6552
01-28-16, 14:23
That's awesome to hear! I really haven't heard much from users about the taper mount, but I have never heard anything bad about their mount either. It's good to hear another positive review though.

About the only time I hear anything negative about GA taper mounts, is a skeptic or a fanboy of another product chiming in. Never heard bad first person on them.

threeheadeddog
01-28-16, 21:47
I have a gen 2 recce 7. When I was looking for a can my criteria was that I wanted a repeatable can (possible bolt gun use later on), that mounted solid, with as few moving parts as possible all while being better/equal in weight/db reduction/length to what I felt was the benchmark can at the time...the sdn-6.

I have never had issues with the can loosening, and would recommend you try and find someone local who has one to mount up. You can really feel lockup when you screw it on.

Will also add, that just to be fair and not omit anything, the factory finish is crap. While it was still in jail, I did about 2 mags through it fast and went to check tightness and the black coating smeared on the included oven mitt. My other can was spray painted long ago, and finish durability was never even on my list of desirable features so it doesnt bother me.