PDA

View Full Version : Razor ii vs nightforce nxs?

skt4271
08-07-15, 00:06
I currently have the razor, I'm thinking of trying to sell and get a night force. Does any one her have both and which one they chose. I know I'll be giving up 2x mag.

Failure2Stop
08-07-15, 04:50
I definitely prefer the NF 1-4 over the Razor II, though I do not and have not owned a Vortex.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

WS6
08-07-15, 04:57
I definitely prefer the NF 1-4 over the Razor II, though I do not and have not owned a Vortex.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Can you compare the eyebox of the NF to the eyebox of the Razor HD II 1-6? Also, just out of curiosity, is the Nightforce true unity? As in, can I point it at something at 1X mag across my dining-room table, and see a crisp reticle AND target, or will one or the other be blurry like it was with the 1.5-4X Leupold I looked at the other day?

Failure2Stop
08-07-15, 05:07
I'm away from the optic right now, so just going off of memory:

Never had an issue with eye-box. Highly personal preference here: I might not notice something that a dude that started out on an RDS might. I have far more experience with irons, cogs, and traditional tubes than Aimpoints and EoTechs, so anything better than a TA-01 or 31 is good with me.

As far as focus: I theoretically set my focus at infinity, so close stuff will be a little blurry, or the reticle will be. I've never had it be a problem. Again, personal choice on that.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

WS6
08-07-15, 07:29
Interesting, I had felt like the 1-4 NF had fallen out of favor to the new "daylight bright" 1-6's like the Vortex.

Singlestack Wonder
08-07-15, 09:43
I wish NF would bring back the FC2 reticle on the 1-4x.

Failure2Stop
08-07-15, 13:36
Interesting, I had felt like the 1-4 NF had fallen out of favor to the new "daylight bright" 1-6's like the Vortex.
The illumination is not as bright as the Vortex or new USO offerings, but the FC3G reticle doesn't need to be illuminated to be useful. If you're looking for an Aimpoint-like dot at 1x, this isn't the one for you. I used to demand a daylight bright dot/reticle, but now prefer a reticle that stands without needing illumination to be functional.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

WS6
08-07-15, 13:39
The illumination is not as bright as the Vortex or new USO offerings, but the FC3G reticle doesn't need to be illuminated to be useful. If you're looking for an Aimpoint-like dot at 1x, this isn't the one for you. I used to demand a daylight bright dot/reticle, but now prefer a reticle that stands without needing illumination to be functional.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

Until aimpoint bright dots have aimpoint battery life, I'm tracking.

Optically, other than 2x, is the NF giving up anything (eyebox, resolution, etc) to newer offerings, or has NF quietly updated it's coatings and so forth over the years?

samuse
08-07-15, 16:26
I also run a NXS 1-4 with FC-3G reticle (2 actually), and have had zero complaints about the reticle in low/no light conditions.

I use a 500 lumen Surefire and if the light will shine on it, the reticle will show up on it. At close ranges, like indoors or around buildings I really don't even feel like the illumination is needed. The reticle is bold enough that it stands out. If the light is dim enough to lose the reticle, then the illumination is visible.

Super good scope and tough. Mine have the zero stop turrets and I've spun 'em out to 600 yards with ease.... Can't do that with an Aimpoint.

Kevin P
08-07-15, 18:35
Timely thread, I just posted a WTB ad for these two optics.

I have looked and handled both of these. I think the quality and toughness goes to the NF. The Razor IMO offers a little better clarity at the expense of weight. Both are good optics.

If I were you since you already have the Razor try finding someone with a NF and compare. That way you get to see it yourself since optics are very personal preference.

skt4271
08-07-15, 20:29
I wish NF would bring back the FC2 reticle on the 1-4x.

I have found some with the fc2, but do you think it's faster than the 3? Looks like I would be hunting for the reticle.

nimdabew
08-07-15, 21:00
I have found some with the fc2, but do you think it's faster than the 3? Looks like I would be hunting for the reticle.

The FC2 is a lot simpler than the FC3G. My friend has one and I really like it for its simplicity.

skt4271
08-07-15, 21:08
I don't get why there is hardly any reviews on these scopes. They aren't priced that high to not have reviews on YouTube.

samuse
08-07-15, 22:49
I think they've been out for too long and people just think they're not cool anymore or something.

They revamped 'em in 2013 with better glass, better turrets, and some other internal stuff. Super nice scopes. And they use the same batteries as Aimpoint Micros...

skt4271
08-07-15, 23:25
Well hell that sounds Luke it should be flooded with old reviews lol. I'm just getting into it, so it's still cool to me, I like that it's short. No one local to me carries NF without me driving 2hrs just to look through it.

I did take a gamble and bought the razor sight unseen, but I at least went to academy and looked through their cheaper scopes.

WS6
08-08-15, 00:27
I think they've been out for too long and people just think they're not cool anymore or something.

They revamped 'em in 2013 with better glass, better turrets, and some other internal stuff. Super nice scopes. And they use the same batteries as Aimpoint Micros...

I know they got ZeroStop, and the FC3G, but what is new about the glass itself, quantifiably?

WS6
08-08-15, 00:28
I don't get why there is hardly any reviews on these scopes. They aren't priced that high to not have reviews on YouTube.

Same thoughts, here

Tophthetank
08-08-15, 21:01
I read in another online forum, someone mentioning through a creditable source, NF is introducing updates to the nxs line. I believe they were referring to the 1-4 model, or maybe a new variable power. Has anyone else heard anything about this? IM NOT trying to start any rumors, this is only what I read!

SteveL
08-08-15, 21:19
I read in another online forum, someone mentioning through a creditable source, NF is introducing updates to the nxs line. I believe they were referring to the 1-4 model, or maybe a new variable power. Has anyone else heard anything about this? IM NOT trying to start any rumors, this is only what I read!

I recall reading something on a forum a while back (might have been this one) about an upcoming 1-6x or maybe even 1-8x but there were no links provided for verification. Haven't heard anything recently.

Tophthetank
08-08-15, 21:40
I was interested in the the 1-4 nxs and the new trijicon tr25 1-6, until I read that forum... Think I might hold out and see if NF brings anything new to the table. Fingers crossed!

Benito
08-09-15, 00:28
What scopes within the Razor II and NXS lines are you looking at?
Also, optics can be somewhat subjective in terms of how people perceive what they're looking at through the scope. THere's no substitute for looking through them yourself.
Lastly, if comparing a Razor II and NF NXS in a similar price point, with similar magnification, reticles, features, etc. I'd probably opt for the NF. The Razor II is a nice scope, but I simply trust the NF more.
I'm not a Vortex hater (have a PST 2.5-10x32, not a Razor), but I just really like NF scopes.

wesr228
08-09-15, 09:41
I would be very interested in a NF 1-6, but the way things move in this industry, it would be announced at SHOT Show 2017 and on shelves around October 2018.

Oh well, have to wait for those Forms 1,3 and 4 also! Patience is a virtue that's needed right?!

samuse
08-09-15, 13:57
I know they got ZeroStop, and the FC3G, but what is new about the glass itself, quantifiably?

I really don't know. I think it's coatings.

I'm kind of indifferent on 'glass quality'. If I can see what I'm looking at, it's good enough. I really can't tell the difference between most quality optics.

MadAngler1
08-09-15, 18:33
I currently have the razor, I'm thinking of trying to sell and get a night force. Does any one her have both and which one they chose. I know I'll be giving up 2x mag.

Are you talking about this model: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-hd-gen-2-1-6x24-riflescope-with-vmr-2-moa-reticle

If so, you would be taking a step down by buying the Nightforce 1-4x compact. The NF does not have a daytime bright reticule, unless they recently modified it. The Vortex does, and the glass on the Vortex is better. However, when it comes to durability, I have no doubt in my mind that the Nightforce wins hands down, but I have yet to see a Razor HD II break during normal use.

I would look hard at a Kahles 1-6x scope instead. I have one on my SCAR-17, and it rocks. If you have the cash, buy a S&B short dot 1-4x or 1-8x scope. Those would be my choices. I did not like the Trijicon VCOG at all, but I have not had a chance to look at the new 1-6x Accupoint yet.

MadAngler1
08-09-15, 18:36
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?151906-Thoughts-on-Optics-from-the-NRA-Convention-in-Indy

Here a post of mine from last year about a lot of these optics. Since that time, I've had a little bit of trigger time behind the Vortex and VCOG. My opinions are the same. I am glad I bought the Kahles for my SCAR. Now I just wish I could shoot more, and if I made more cash, I would buy the S&Bs. I was not a fan of the Steiner models I looked through.

Alaskapopo
08-10-15, 16:42
Vortex all the way on this one. My Vortex Razor 2 has glass quality as good as my Swarovski. Super clear and better than any of the various Nightforce scopes I have owned. (5.5-22, 3.5-15, 2.5-10 etc). Also the retiicles on the Night force are not daylight bright a no go for me on a lower powered scope of this type. The only 2 real drawbacks to the Razor 2 is the weight and the throw lever is very stiff.

abso
08-10-15, 18:03
While not a direct comparison. I have a Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42 and the Vortex HD II 1-6 and I prefer the vortex by quite a bit. The glass is better, the FOV is larger (compared to the NF 6x), and the illumination is better. The illuminated reticle on the 2.5-10 NSX looks low quality as it isn't uniformly lit. The NSX also has a very noticeable amount of chromatic aberration which can be quite distracting. When I asked nightforce about the CA, they told me that it wasn't an issue and that I should basically not have bothered because the scope is more or less perfect as special forces employ their scopes worldwide (yes, they mentioned that...).

I will say that the turrets are the best I've ever used.

13mike
08-12-15, 16:27

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

Is this because of what your eyes prefer or because batteries will fail?

Is the vortex .5 MOA crosshair to small for your taste without illumination?

I'm asking because I have not seen one.

Alaskapopo
08-12-15, 17:06
The battery argument is weak because if the batteries do fail your no worse off as if you had a Nightforce to start with. To me its like like saying you don't want electric lights in your house because the power fails sometimes. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taliv
08-16-15, 14:45
i've owned both the NF 1-4x and vortex gen2 1-6x.

i'm a big fan of nightforce (benchrest and atacr f1 scopes) but i got rid of their 1-4x as fast as i could. worst glass i've ever owned. really really bad distortion. i sent it back. they said it was supposed to be like that. so it's gone. that was several years ago though, so maybe they're better now.

the vortex is amazing! glass quality is on par or better than my swarovski z6i 1-6x. it's super bright and very forgiving eyebox. only downside is it's heavy. really heavy. though it's shorter than the swaro which can be helpful if you're running a pvs22 or something.

i agree with jack on the illumination bit

TXBK
08-16-15, 15:23
Vortex all the way on this one. My Vortex Razor 2 has glass quality as good as my Swarovski. Super clear and better than any of the various Nightforce scopes I have owned. (5.5-22, 3.5-15, 2.5-10 etc). Also the retiicles on the Night force are not daylight bright a no go for me on a lower powered scope of this type. The only 2 real drawbacks to the Razor 2 is the weight and the throw lever is very stiff.

I will second the stiffness of the magnification adjustment. IMO, a throw is almost a requirement, and should probably come included. That is about my only complaint about the Vortex. Otherwise, it has been a great optic. I really like the lockable illumination with off settings in between each setting.

openbolt
09-06-15, 12:49
i've owned both the NF 1-4x and vortex gen2 1-6x.

i'm a big fan of nightforce (benchrest and atacr f1 scopes) but i got rid of their 1-4x as fast as i could. worst glass i've ever owned. really really bad distortion. i sent it back. they said it was supposed to be like that. so it's gone. that was several years ago though, so maybe they're better now.

the vortex is amazing! glass quality is on par or better than my swarovski z6i 1-6x. it's super bright and very forgiving eyebox. only downside is it's heavy. really heavy. though it's shorter than the swaro which can be helpful if you're running a pvs22 or something.

i agree with jack on the illumination bit

I agree with taliv,

So true! I traded phone calls with NF regarding the awful distortion when I look through my NXS 1-4x. After I returned it to NF they say it's perfect and passed their 71 point inspection and maybe I should adjust the reticle (again).

This will be the second time I've sent it back to the factory. I have an opportunity to swap it for an ACOG TA33-GH (green horseshoe). After reading your post on the NF 1-4x I think I'm going to make the trade. My NF 5.5-22x50mm is absolutely awesome glass as is my ACOG TA11-GH.

Had you not posted your experience I would have believed that the NF scope was fine. In my opinion THE GLASS ON THE NF 1-4X NXS appears distorted. I have since traded it away for the ACOG TA33 3x30mm. All I can say is......what a relief it is.

skt4271
09-06-15, 13:37
Are you talking about this model: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-hd-gen-2-1-6x24-riflescope-with-vmr-2-moa-reticle

If so, you would be taking a step down by buying the Nightforce 1-4x compact. The NF does not have a daytime bright reticule, unless they recently modified it. The Vortex does, and the glass on the Vortex is better. However, when it comes to durability, I have no doubt in my mind that the Nightforce wins hands down, but I have yet to see a Razor HD II break during normal use.

I would look hard at a Kahles 1-6x scope instead. I have one on my SCAR-17, and it rocks. If you have the cash, buy a S&B short dot 1-4x or 1-8x scope. Those would be my choices. I did not like the Trijicon VCOG at all, but I have not had a chance to look at the new 1-6x Accupoint yet.

Yes I have this model, I like it, but I am thinking of selling it to get the nxs1-4. As much as this scope works, I was really wanting the night force branding, but with vortex warranty it's almost even.