PDA

View Full Version : Veteran homelessness and suicide...

Whiskey_Bravo
08-07-15, 00:13
I don't watch videos very often but this one got me in the feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_l4Ab5FRwM

Stay vigilant guys and keep an eye on those that may be having trouble.

http://www.22kill.com/

SteyrAUG
08-07-15, 00:39
Barring pre existing conditions like being a drug addict or some other species of complete f - up, having homeless veterans is a national disgrace. It is inexcusable. I think of all the tax dollars that are mismanaged or otherwise wasted on complete bullshit and...well it pisses me off to even think about it.

Talk about failing to take care of your own.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-07-15, 00:44
Barring pre existing conditions like being a drug addict or some other species of complete f - up, having homeless veterans is a national disgrace. It is inexcusable. I think of all the tax dollars that are mismanaged or otherwise wasted on complete bullshit and...well it pisses me off to even think about it.

Yep x 1000

TXBK
08-07-15, 01:32

I agree.

soulezoo
08-07-15, 14:41
Well we need to take care of the illegals first you know and make sure they have food stamps and free shelter and etc. Not enough money for everybody. :suicide:

Sensei
08-07-15, 15:18

Most of the homeless vets that I encounter have significant substance abuse issues. The Vietnam Era vets tend to struggle more with alcohol while the GWOT vets often have issues with prescription pills. There have been several threads discussing the VA's issues with turning a disability into an addiction.

SteyrAUG
08-07-15, 15:32
Most of the homeless vets that I encounter have significant substance abuse issues. The Vietnam Era vets tend to struggle more with alcohol while the GWOT vets often have issues with prescription pills. There have been several threads discussing the VA's issues with turning a disability into an addiction.

My concern is did those issues exist before or after combat. I really can't bring myself to declare somebody a "screw up" because they got hooked on pain meds following treatment for combat injuries. I also have a hard time faulting somebody who is just trying to make the memories of what they saw in combat go away.

If ever there was a class of people who really need some consideration with their substance abuse problems, I'd think it would be combat veterans. Granted some percentage of them are walking, talking f-ups, but I'm mostly concerned with the rest.

Seems that this is a group where we constantly drop the ball when it comes to holding up our end of the deal. From conditions at Walther Reed, to letting guys like Hassan provide psychological treatment to making sure they don't become homeless drug addicts who kill themselves if we can somehow prevent it.