PDA

View Full Version : Advice on which RMR to get?

Djstorm100
08-07-15, 10:12
I was able to dig up some threads detailing RMR on pistols, while most were RMR on rifles.

I'm looking to pick one up as well as sights too for a M&P. I'm using it as a project for school to mill (gunsmithing class). I just need to also buy the dovetail bit.

I want to keep my irons. I will have to move the rear sight back and install a new front and rear sights.

I typically like my front sights to have contrast from the rear. IE Orange/Green front sight. Would having a RMR that happens to be the same color front sight cause issue? I would image so because your eye would be trying to focus on both?

Cmm46
08-07-15, 10:46
I would think so. I went with all black sights on my setup and ive been happy. I didnt even want tritium because I thought it might be distracting. I like shooting with the irons sometimes and I have no problems picking up the all black front. But you could always try it with a colored front sight. Theyre easy enough to change out if you dont like them.

GO_ALLOUT
08-07-15, 10:51
I'm running all black suppressor height irons on my G17 with RM06.

They are not an issue but I could see something with color slowing you down.

I'd go all black.

Voodoo_Man
08-07-15, 10:54
I have a RM06 on a 10.3" DD barrel'd AR.

The RM01 and RM06 are the same dot - 3.25moa - the RM01 auto-adjusts and the RM06 gives you the ability to adjust on your own. I'd suggest one of those.

I also had an RM08 (amber triangle) - it was good for what I used it for (RMR on a Glock 19) - but on a rifle it fell a little short. I had an RX07 which is the bigger/rifle version of the RM08 and it worked well. Zero was at the tip of the triangle and it did very well for close up shooting as well as 100y work.

Bruce in WV
08-07-15, 12:11
I had an Insight MRDS 3.5MOA mounted on a Ruger MKIII Target pistol on the OEM rail. I mounted it both with and without the shroud (with the shroud sits higher), and it worked OK - improved my scores by over 10% - but you can't use the original target sights at all with that set-up. I switched it for an Ultradot II with smaller/variable dot options (still can't use the target sights), and prefer that. I won't put higher "red dot compatible" target sights on it because there's no reason to have to shoot through the MRDS: I can just remove it if I want to return to the target sights for any reason.
The MRDS, with higher irons, would be fine on my M&P or XD45 defensive pistols if I decide to put it back into service - its just sitting on the shelf right now while I decide if I want to mill one of the slides and add the new sights.

glocktogo
08-07-15, 12:52
I have a RM06 on a 10.3" DD barrel'd AR.

The RM01 and RM06 are the same dot - 3.25moa - the RM01 auto-adjusts and the RM06 gives you the ability to adjust on your own. I'd suggest one of those.

I also had an RM08 (amber triangle) - it was good for what I used it for (RMR on a Glock 19) - but on a rifle it fell a little short. I had an RX07 which is the bigger/rifle version of the RM08 and it worked well. Zero was at the tip of the triangle and it did very well for close up shooting as well as 100y work.

As you have experience with both the triangle and smaller dot, you might be the perfect person to ask. I take delivery of my new G-40 MOS 10mm tomorrow. I'm initially planning to zero the MRDS at 50-75 yards or so (with hot ammo, not 100 Lite). I couldn't decide whether it would be better to go with the 3.25moa red dot, or the green triangle. I figured the green triangle would provide better contrast on tan targets such as deer, plus the tip of the triangle might give better pinpoint accuracy. I'm just concerned the overall size of the triangle might be overwhelming at arms length and/or obscure too much of the target.

Thoughts?

GO_ALLOUT
08-07-15, 12:58
Also running an RM06 on my SBR.

Thought I'd point out that the RM06 also has the auto brightness setting.

Also, that by dialing the brightness down, you can really hone in on further targets and then for faster closer work, you can increase the brightness which IMO also seems to increase the dot size.

Voodoo_Man
08-07-15, 13:17
As you have experience with both the triangle and smaller dot, you might be the perfect person to ask. I take delivery of my new G-40 MOS 10mm tomorrow. I'm initially planning to zero the MRDS at 50-75 yards or so (with hot ammo, not 100 Lite). I couldn't decide whether it would be better to go with the 3.25moa red dot, or the green triangle. I figured the green triangle would provide better contrast on tan targets such as deer, plus the tip of the triangle might give better pinpoint accuracy. I'm just concerned the overall size of the triangle might be overwhelming at arms length and/or obscure too much of the target.

Thoughts?

The triangle works well, but I defaulted to shootint at the tip abd working my way down as needed for hits, especially at distance.

The RDS that the 3.25moa dot gives you is much like the T1/T2 setup, except you get greater field of view which counts for something.

glocktogo
08-07-15, 13:42
Based on that input and Go Allout's, I might be better served with the adjustable 3.25. Just concerned the more complex adjustable brightness models might have more trouble with the recoil???

GO_ALLOUT
08-07-15, 13:56
Based on that input and Go Allout's, I might be better served with the adjustable 3.25. Just concerned the more complex adjustable brightness models might have more trouble with the recoil???
I can't say as mine reside on a G17 and an SBR...NEITHER of which pack much recoil. But, I can say they are built like tanks and super durable. I have thousands of rounds on the one on my G17 and never had a single issue.

My understanding is that as long as the slide was milled and threaded properly, the rmr shouldn't come loose and if it doesn't come loose, you shouldn't have any troubles.

Keep us posted, sounds like a sweet combo!

glocktogo
08-07-15, 13:58
I can't say as mine reside on a G17 and an SBR...NEITHER of which pack much recoil. But, I can say they are built like tanks and super durable. I have thousands of rounds on the one on my G17 and never had a single issue.

My understanding is that as long as the slide was milled and threaded properly, the rmr shouldn't come loose and if it doesn't come loose, you shouldn't have any troubles.

Keep us posted, sounds like a sweet combo!

Thanks! It may be a few weeks before I can offer a solid report, but I plan to post one!

Voodoo_Man
08-07-15, 16:44

From what ive been told the adjustable models have more heavy duty circuitboards so they will hold up well.

glocktogo
08-07-15, 17:24
From what ive been told the adjustable models have more heavy duty circuitboards so they will hold up well.

Good info, thanks!

FlyingHunter
08-07-15, 21:10
Getting tired of waiting on the Leupold Deltapoint Pro...

ShooterM4
08-08-15, 11:06
Yes, what's the deal on the Deltapoint Pro. They said "Spring" 2015.....I think that has come and gone. Anyone know anything? I've had bad luck with not one, but two, Trijicon RMRs, cutting out on me, etc.

Djstorm100
08-10-15, 11:48
Are the LED's not as tough as the Dual Illuminated ones?

Dual Illuinated only offer in 7, 9, 13 moa.

Defaultmp3
08-10-15, 12:24
Are the LED's not as tough as the Dual Illuminated ones?

Dual Illuinated only offer in 7, 9, 13 moa.

Dual illuminated does not have LEDs; combination of tritium and fiber optics.

Djstorm100
08-10-15, 12:41
Correct. But I've herd some accounts the LEDs are not a tough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_M
08-10-15, 15:14
I went with an RMR01 auto-adjust

GO_ALLOUT
08-10-15, 20:34
I donno but I remember of ppl not being happy with the dual illumination in low/no light applications...but I personally have no experience with them...just the rm06(s) for me...

Dave_M
08-11-15, 00:33
I donno but I remember of ppl not being happy with the dual illumination in low/no light applications...but I personally have no experience with them...just the rm06(s) for me...

Specifically if you're firing from a dark area into a lighted area.

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 07:49
Specifically if you're firing from a dark area into a lighted area.

This is what I've been reading as well. However the Adjustable LED's are not getting rave reviews either 1) not holding zero 2) circuit boards malfunctioning.

GO_ALLOUT
08-11-15, 07:52
This is what I've been reading as well. However the Adjustable LED's are not getting rave reviews either 1) not holding zero 2) circuit boards malfunctioning.
Well...I've got 2 that have not suffered from any of these issues...

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 07:54
Well...I've got 2 that have not suffered from any of these issues...

Trijicon might have fixed these issues, finally. I'm not sure, I just know what I've been reading on here and Eno's

GO_ALLOUT
08-11-15, 08:10
Trijicon might have fixed these issues, finally. I'm not sure, I just know what I've been reading on here and Eno's
Yeah I read a bunch of posts about issues such as those...i also remember reading that a lot of those issues were potentially related to the slide work that was done and thread pitch used for mounting as you can't use loctite and if the proper thread pitch isn't used than they can come loose. And from what i understand even just a little loose can cause problems!

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 08:13
Yeah I read a bunch of posts about issues such as those...i also remember reading that a lot of those issues were potentially related to the slide work that was done and thread pitch used for mounting as you can't use loctite and if the proper thread pitch isn't used than they can come loose. And from what i understand even just a little loose can cause problems!

biggest was the slide not having the post machined to help locate and hold the RMR in place. Screws are just there to hold the RMR to down on the slide. Post are to take the G-force load.

GO_ALLOUT
08-11-15, 08:16
biggest was the slide not having the post machined to help locate and hold the RMR in place. Screws are just there to hold the RMR to down on the slide. Post are to take the G-force load.
Correct but the there's a particular thread pitch that is essentislly a self locking thread. If they come loose than your battery can cut out not get a constant connection. Check out ATEi, they did my slide and they may have more info on this....

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 08:32
Correct but the there's a particular thread pitch that is essentislly a self locking thread. If they come loose than your battery can cut out not get a constant connection. Check out ATEi, they did my slide and they may have more info on this....

They are just two 6-32 machine screws, contact from Trijicon said. I've emailed Doug in hope he would be willing to help me for class.

GO_ALLOUT
08-11-15, 08:40
They are just two 6-32 machine screws, contact from Trijicon said. I've emailed Doug in hope he would be willing to help me for class.
Atei uses 6-40 for the screws on the slides...check out the video they have posted on their Facebook page.

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 08:46
Atei uses 6-40 for the screws on the slides...check out the video they have posted on their Facebook page.

Have a link to where you got your info?

GO_ALLOUT
08-11-15, 08:48
Have a link to where you got your info?
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=207683145958171

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 09:08
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=207683145958171

Thank you, confirms my suspicions. 6-40 gives more thread engagement without having to deeper, haven't found anything about self locking. Unless he is using the nylon type that plastics a small bit of in beded nylon on the threads. This acts as loc-tie but easy to remove. Think nylon locking nuts but for screws. Like with axles 35 spline is stronger than 28 spine if made of same material. I appreciate all your help, making me thinking more in depth.

GO_ALLOUT
08-11-15, 09:11
Thank you, confirms my suspicions. 6-40 gives more thread engagement without having to deeper, haven't found anything about self locking. Unless he is using the nylon type that plastics a small bit of in beded nylon on the threads. This acts as loc-tie but easy to remove. Think nylon locking nuts but for screws. Like with axles 35 spline is stronger than 28 spine if made of same material. I appreciate all your help, making me thinking more in depth.
Yeah he mentioned in his video that the 6-40 is self locking...not sure how or why as I have never heard of a self locking thread and as you stated other than a nylon patch or similar type of threadlock...good luck

Djstorm100
08-11-15, 09:18
Yeah he mentioned in his video that the 6-40 is self locking...not sure how or why as I have never heard of a self locking thread and as you stated other than a nylon patch or similar type of threadlock...good luck

did some digging..could of been vibra tite (loctie) for screws. Nyloc and Sigma fasteners are two I found. I've never seen a self locking screw that small until now. lol Then again never needed one.