PDA

View Full Version : First Time Shooting my HK VP9 - I'm Amazed

ShooterM4
08-08-15, 11:11
Sorry for the gushing enthusiasm, but please bear with me.

After taking a class with Larry Vickers and both watching him shoot his VP9, which had just come back from Bruce Gray who really worked the trigger group over, I decided to take the plunge and buy a VP9. Luckily I found one, it was kind of hard, and got it last week. The FFL dealer asked me, "Where'd you get it? Our distributor told us not to expect anymore until 2016."

I carefully inspected it and lubed it up last night, then took it out today for the first time.

I loaded up a magazine, put one in the chamber, loaded one more into the magazine and stood 12 yards away from a six inch reactive target and shot it slowly, but steadily, really concentrating on a nice, smooth, controlled trigger press straight back to the rear. I'm no great handgun shooter, and LAV's classes really helped me get on top of the trigger control issues I've had for years, always shooting low/left (classic symptom of a right hander with trigger control issues). I was astounded at the results of my very first magazine, as I was shooting I was saying out loud, "Holy crap, I can't believe this." I put many of the rounds through the same several holes. Believe me, this kind of result for me is nearly miraculous. The reset on the VP9 is fantastic and the trigger is crisp. I did not modify the grip with panels on the side or rear and I have pretty huge hands.

I find the recoil impulse very manageable. I'm going to have to figure out to take the "slick" off the handgrip. It was a muggy morning and my sweaty hands were slipping around on the grip. I'm not entirely thrilled with the sights, but I did ok with them. Still trying to figure out precisely the best POA for the sights. I actually really like the location of the mag release, makes for a very positive and quick mag drop for me at least. I hear some people complaining about it.

So, to say I'm "sold" on the VP9 is quite an understatement.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/FMJ1911/VP9FirstMagazine_zpsxyv170gw.jpg

Nightstalker865
08-08-15, 11:44
They are very impressive shooters for sure. Congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmac
08-08-15, 11:50
I shoot both my PPQ and VP9 similar to your experience above.....the VP9 in particular, well enough that the $300 GrayGuns action cleanup that Larry got wouldn't be cost-effective for me. The VP9 is indeed an excellent pistol.

ShooterM4
08-08-15, 12:06
I agree re. the $300...I would not benefit from the further fine tuning. I tried Larry's and it is impressive, but ... I'm pretty satisfied with it as is, for now.

straitR
08-08-15, 13:13
I'm a big fan of the VP9 as well, and I too, need to figure out what I'm going to do about the sights. Right now, I've painted the front orange and blacked out the rears. It's good to hear that LAV is playing around with one, as that could mean VTAC small parts in the future.

Toecheese
08-08-15, 13:18
I shoot both my PPQ and VP9 similar to your experience above.....the VP9 in particular, well enough that the $300 GrayGuns action cleanup that Larry got wouldn't be cost-effective for me. The VP9 is indeed an excellent pistol.

Me as well....nice shooting OP!

ShooterM4
08-08-15, 15:13
I'm a big fan of the VP9 as well, and I too, need to figure out what I'm going to do about the sights. Right now, I've painted the front orange and blacked out the rears. It's good to hear that LAV is playing around with one, as that could mean VTAC small parts in the future.

Yes, the sights are not thrilling me. But, then again, after today, I may just say, "Good enough." :)

Ranger325
08-08-15, 15:30
It's good to hear that LAV is playing around with one, as that could mean VTAC small parts in the future.

VTAC is Kyle Lamb........is he working with a VP9 too?

ShooterM4
08-08-15, 15:40
LAV told us that there are after-market parts in the works for the VP9, via Vickers Tactical. I'm never clear precisely with whom Vickers works with parts, is it Tango Down? At any rate, point is LAV said they are coming.

ralph
08-08-15, 15:57
LAV told us that there are after-market parts in the works for the VP9, via Vickers Tactical. I'm never clear precisely with whom Vickers works with parts, is it Tango Down? At any rate, point is LAV said they are coming.

He didn't happen to mention exactly what kind of parts they were planning bringing out, did he?

ShooterM4
08-08-15, 18:07
He did, but I can't remember now what they were.

Toecheese
08-08-15, 18:14

What exactly needs to be "enhanced" from Vickers on the VP9? We're not exactly talking Glock shitty sights, or M&P's horrific trigger here.......IMO, the VP9 needs nothing.

HKGuns
08-08-15, 19:13
What exactly needs to be "enhanced" from Vickers on the VP9? We're not exactly talking Glock shitty sights, or M&P's horrific trigger here.......IMO, the VP9 needs nothing.

You're right, however it won't stop people from buying or selling.

Congrats OP and good shooting. :)

titsonritz
08-08-15, 19:13

It depends on the product. Tango Down does the slide stop, mag release and mag base plate for Glock pistols, Wilson Combat does the sights and Blue Force makes his slings.

I could mag base plate similar to the Glock from TD, possibly sights and metal slide tabs, but I guess time will tell.

Toecheese
08-08-15, 20:51
Metal slide tabs?

jpmuscle
08-08-15, 21:13
Metal slide tabs?

The rear charging wings/tabs.

40Arpent
08-08-15, 21:14
VTAC is Kyle Lamb........is he working with a VP9 too?

Pretty sure he got Viking and Vickers mixed up. LOL

The_Watcher
08-15-15, 07:14

Until an issue presents itself with the VP9- Aftermarket small parts are solutions to non existent problems. Some of the Wilson Combat sights he helped develop for the Glock series would sell like hotness...

RAM Engineer
08-15-15, 08:08
Until an issue presents itself with the VP9- Aftermarket small parts are solutions to non existent problems. Some of the Wilson Combat sights he helped develop for the Glock series would sell like hotness...

10-8 sights are hard to improve upon, and available now. Unless we can talk Dawson Precision into making a set of adjustable rear sights. ;)

GregP220
08-15-15, 09:15

You're right, however it won't stop people from buying or selling.

Congrats OP and good shooting. :)

Chrome baby chrome :cool: Bling that b***h up YO!

Ken1973
08-15-15, 10:08
I've transitioned to the VP9 from an M&P over the last few months. The more time I spend with the VP9, the more I am impressed with it. Its the first handgun that I haven't felt the need to make any modifications yet, truly good to go out of the box. The factory night sights are serviceable but it will be getting a 10-8 rear as soon as they're available again.

Bryan84
08-15-15, 12:01
Nice!