PDA

View Full Version : Are expensive knives worth it?

black22rifle
08-08-15, 22:41
The only knifes I have ever owned were a Spiderco Delica 4 and Endura 4 with wave feature. While carrying them I was surprised at how easily they became dull. They were $75 and $82 respectively. They are both made of VG-10 steel but with regular use of cutting cardboard and thick seram wrap they became dull quickly. Am I just expecting them to do more than they can?

When the first knife I bought, the endura 4, became dull I bought a Lansky knife sharpening kit to get it back up to working order. It worked pretty well, but I noticed from usage that the knife has some small dents in the edge. Is this normal? what else am I missing in regards to knife maintenance beside a leather strop?

Would a $300 Emerson kinfe last musch longer without sharpening with my entended usage?

el_chingoton13
08-08-15, 22:54
I enjoy expensive knives, but it only took one falling out of my pocket to ensure I never edc anything more than $50.

Kain
08-08-15, 23:43
I've carried Emersons pretty consistently for, about ten years, with a SOG thrown in in the middle for a year of so because it was cheap. I started off with a Commander and currently rock a CQC-13. First, if you are cutting a lot of cardboard it will dull out a blade pretty quick, and all knives do require sharpening. No way around it. While I carried my Commander for years without sharpening it(Because I didn't know better), and my SOGs were sharp as hell out of the box, and held their edge well, but even they dulled over time, even more if you are using them a lot, and what denotes a lot of usage can vary from person to person. So honestly I think if you are going to run a knife hard you should expect to need to sharpen it on a regular basis, regardless who made it. That and if you are going to be opening a lot of cardboard a razor knife is probably a better option just since it is easier to swap out a razor then carry a sharpener on you.

Now, all that said, I own Emerson knives, I carry one daily, and only ever once had it exit my pocket without me drawing it, and that was because someone else pulled it from there(There in lies a story behind that), even catching clips on objects and bending the shit out of them(Have replaced several clips over the years, and keep a couple on hand, though I haven't bent one in years), I have never had one fall out of my pocket. Granted, I carry my Emerson on the right side with my wallet so the wallet kind of adds a little extra, I guess you could call it retention.

As far as is an Emerson worth it? For me? Yes, I love the feel and the design and features, and more. Also, if you are paying $300 for an Emerson, you must either want something special, or you are looking at a odd model, since if you shop around a decent Emerson shouldn't run much more than $200 or so. And on the used market you can find them for well under that at times. Hell my CQC-13 was bought for $100, which box, and paperwork and everything.

So, I suppose to answer the question in short, no it is not uncommon for a knife to dull if you use it a lot, and cardboard is considered to be touch on a blade. Would an Emerson last longer? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it worth it? That is for you to decide, but if you want a high(er) end knife, then there are worse reason to buy one.)

TXBK
08-09-15, 00:09
If you are cutting into a lot of boxes, just use a retractable or folding utility knife. I use my blades, but I try to avoid cutting cardboard with them.

JaegerOne
08-09-15, 00:09
Learn how to sharpen with whetstones/waterstones. Plenty of info on utube. Then buy yourself a couple with different grits. I use 1000 grit & 3000 grit but there are variations of that depending on the knives and quality of same. First, practice sharpening your cheaper knives until you get the knack of using the stones.

Using cheap sharpeners can ruin your blades and you'll never get them as sharp as you can using stones.

Marty w
08-09-15, 01:14
Yes, they are worth it if you are into knives. Quality of steels, fit and finish, smooth action. All very nice qualities. Kinda like watches: a Timex is a good watch that tells time, and last for years, but a Rolex is superb time piece. It's quality and it makes a statement. All in what you want to spend and what quality means to you. All that being said, with all my expensive knives, I have some cheap knives I use and like too. But if you appreciate quality, the expensive knives are worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

titsonritz
08-09-15, 03:05
My daily carry blade is an Emerson Mini CQC-7, but I don't use it to open packages with it. I use the serrated blade on my Multi-plier for that sort of thing.

Wake27
08-09-15, 03:35
I've lost so many knives (especially in uniform) that I'm down to just buying the $10 Gerber Paraframe. I do have a Spartan Blades Enyo that I carry IWB when I'm out in public though. I would like one or two more plus an Emerson or two, but I've never had a problem losing anything like I do knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teksid
08-09-15, 07:08
I've been losing knives since I was old enough to have one.
I have a couple of nicer knives, but don't carry them. Even though after I carried a Kershaw Leek for a couple years, it still sucked when I lost it.

newyork
08-09-15, 07:51
"Worth it" is only up to the consumer. Yes they are made with better materials and look and feel better. How much and whether its worth it to you is only up to you.
They all do the same thing whether they cost $50 or $2000. I own both. I say buy something in the $100-200 range and get a good sharpening system and call it a day.

Averageman
08-09-15, 08:17
I've lost so many knives (especially in uniform) that I'm down to just buying the $10 Gerber Paraframe. I do have a Spartan Blades Enyo that I carry IWB when I'm out in public though. I would like one or two more plus an Emerson or two, but I've never had a problem losing anything like I do knives.

I'm with you on that one. I have since gotten to the point of now carrying a $50.00 Kershaw EDC, I just can't see losing another nice knife.
I'm not a Soldier any more, but I works with them and I'm climbing in and out of vehicles, carrying heavy stuff and opening packages everyday. There is no way I can spend more than $50 any more for an EDC, they only seem to last a year until they are either lost or slip in to the great unknown somewhere inside a vehicle.
My nice stuff stays in the safe and comes out only to be used when my OP/Tempo allows me a little more time to be careful.

BuzzinSATX
08-09-15, 08:28
I have a few $200+ knives, but I almost always carry a Kershaw Leek (found them on clearance at $20 apiece and bought the last 4). I also have a Buck 110 folder in every vehicle and tool kit I own, and a handful of Gerber, Cold Steel, Ka-Bar, and Kershaws stashed away.

I too lose, loan, or give away knives too often to afford the really expensive knives. But I buy decent knives on sale and it works for me. I also have several ceramic or diamond sharpeners I can take with me, and they work fine on my cheap knives.

jstalford
08-09-15, 09:00
Expense doesn't always equate to edge retention. Vg10 and 154cm are pretty similar in that regard.

You can buy a $6000 1911 but it's not gonna hold more rounds than an RIA.

You can get knives that have steel with better edge retention without paying much more, like the lightweight S110v Manix, but the trade off is they're harder to sharpen. That will probably last longer than anything else under $200-300 though.

Best bet is to get proficient with a decent sharpening system.

black22rifle
08-09-15, 11:13
I just thought the steel on a $2-300 knife was that much better.

What kind of wet stones are good? I plan on sharpening my two knives and a few kitchen knives that are very dull. My guess is an extra course, medium, and fine will do?

By sharpening you mean using a stone, correct? Not using a steel?

jstalford
08-09-15, 11:26
Nah, you can get an $80 knife with 154cm or a $3000 knife in it. It's more about the Indian than the arrow in that case.

As far as stones, probably just grab some of the larger size spyderco. Or a sharpmaker with some diamond rods.

sevenhelmet
08-09-15, 11:44
I have some expensive knives, but I bought them because I thought they were unique. They're more like collector's items than everyday use knives, and part of their charm is they still have that insanely sharp factory edge on them. If I could learn how to sharpen a knife like that, I would probably use them more (it's on my to-do list). That said, my EDC knife is a $200+ Benchmade auto, and gets so much use I ended up with two of them. My most-abused knife is a $40 Ka-bar which I bought for a little "military camping trip" 8 years ago, because I knew it would be used for cutting, prying, digging, sawing, and other heinous offenses. It survived that trip and others, and I keep it in my truck now. I've broken knives that cost 3 times more.

Price isn't everything. Quality can be found in the strangest of places.

WillBrink
08-09-15, 11:51

What kind of wet stones are good? I plan on sharpening my two knives and a few kitchen knives that are very dull. My guess is an extra course, medium, and fine will do?

As with everything there's a diminishing return after a point, where the added $$ spent delivers less and less objective value. It becomes more of a subject value after a point, with that value being subjective. Is the build quality, steel, etc better between a $40 knife and a $200 knife? As a rule, yes. Is there going to be a difference between $200 knife and a $1,000 knife?

Guns, watches, etc all experience that diminishing return where at some point added $$ spent leads no real objective differences and the value is subjective.

My jaeger lecoultre Master dive watch does not tell time and better than a Timex. I still love the jaeger lecoultre....

WillBrink
08-09-15, 11:52

Double Tap. I watched closely this time when posting and this double tap is from something happening with the forums to let mods know.

jstalford
08-09-15, 12:08
Something you could try is a flat ground delica or a chaparral. Even a Swiss Army knife. The thinner blade stock and grind will cut better even dull.

BatteryOperated
08-09-15, 12:09
"Worth it" is only up to the consumer. Yes they are made with better materials and look and feel better. How much and whether its worth it to you is only up to you.
They all do the same thing whether they cost $50 or $2000. I own both. I say buy something in the $100-200 range and get a good sharpening system and call it a day.

Sound advice, and just what I was thinking. :)

Abraham
08-09-15, 12:30
I'm too practical to buy a very expensive EDC knife. Most of my carry knives or working knives run the gamut of cost from $20.00 to a max of $45.00

Kitchen knives are a whole nuther matter.

I do buy pricey kitchen knives as their excellence is much appreciated by my wife, plus I benefit by her cooking.

Yes, knives that retain an edge are often brutal to sharpen.

I like the Havalon for skinning hogs and deer. Their blades are replaceable. No muss, no fuss when they get dull cuz you simply replace them.

KUSA
08-09-15, 13:21
I must be luck because I haven't lost an expensive knife yet. I've been carrying an Emerson CQC7 for years.

The blade get crazy sharp and holds an edge much better than a typical store bought knife like a Gerber. I believe Emerson uses CM154 to make the blade. It's quite a bit better than the typical 440.

jstalford
08-09-15, 13:58
Emersons are "tactical" knives built with hard use and ease of sharpening in mind.

Cool knives, but not going to do any better for the OPs task.

Tequila45
08-09-15, 18:57
Thin blades will seem to hold an edge longer. Look for a kershaw chill, it's overall thinness will pretty much disappear in your pocket. cheap and big enough to do any regular day to day task. It's even cheap enough to learn how to sharpen with.
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3410-Chill-Pocket-Knife/dp/B002IVHQ5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439164389&sr=8-1&keywords=Kershaw+chill

Or if you want something bigger that holds a good edge, the Ontario rat would be my second suggestion
http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-8848-Folding-Knife-Black/dp/B0013ASG3E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1439164389&sr=8-16&keywords=Kershaw+chill

black22rifle
08-09-15, 22:00
Emersons are "tactical" knives built with hard use and ease of sharpening in mind.

Cool knives, but not going to do any better for the OPs task.

Thats's actually what I was looking for. What are the benefits to a chisel edge blade? I actually don't cut very much cardboard, just a little bit. Most of my cutting is thick plastic seram wrap and the occasional tape on a package and maybe other non regular stuff.

zombiescometh
08-10-15, 01:45
This is what makes sense to me.
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/knives/why-are-you-using-a-defensive-knife-to-open-boxes/
If you don't mind carrying another knife you will never really have to sharpen your main/favorite knifes unless you have to use it.

newyork
08-10-15, 04:27
If you're buying an edc knife (folder), use it. Use it on whatever you want. Food prep. Whittling. Opening boxes. Cutting calluses. Whatever. Get a sharpener that is easy to use and repeatable. When she gets dull, use the sharpener. It makes it so much more enjoyable and worth the money when you actually aren't worried about getting your knife dull because you can get it stupid Sharp again in 5 minutes.
IMO, spend the money on a Wicked Edge. Done. Period.

HCrum87hc
08-10-15, 11:57
I've lost enough knives to where I don't EDC anything over $50-$100. As others have stated, a good sharpener will make a world of difference. Expensive knives are great, and I have a few, but I don't carry them often. They're more of a collector's item.

newyork
08-10-15, 12:35
Spyderco, Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw, DPX...all good choices.

jstalford
08-10-15, 14:05
Some info about the different blade grinds.

Personally at that price point, I would skip Emerson and go to ZT, Spyderco, or Benchmade, probably in that order.

A good place to start could be the ZT Emerson Collaborations:

http://www.eknives.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ZT0620.jpg

http://cdn3.volusion.com/mtrfy.trzug/v/vspfiles/photos/ZT0620CF-2.jpg

http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/images/uploads/products/29610/0630_profile_1020x400.png

ETA: and agree with the above. Buy a Second hand ZT0620CF and used the saved money to grab a Rexford RUT to use on small jobs.

Also, here is a link with some info on different blade grinds:

http://www.agrussell.com/articles/a/105/

Also of not is that some Emersons are chisel ground, like the CQC7, where the bevel is on one side and the other side is flat. Some are V-ground, where the bevels are ground on both sides, like the Roadhouse or Commander, but even the V-ground ones are still only sharpened on one side. That is part of making them easier to sharpen.

Averageman
08-11-15, 08:39
I was picking up some wasp spray for my deck and wandered over to the knives in Sporting goods at WalMart.
They had Kershaw knives, (not crap, but not the best by any means) on sale at the $17.00 price point. They are decent enough for EDC and at that price I would feel a lot better if I dropped one in to the sub floor never to be seen again.
Anything above $75.00 is an expensive knife to me. I carry a sharpener and a spare knife in my brief case. They work for me and like I said, I worry less about losing them.

jstalford
08-11-15, 08:42
Nothing wrong with Kershaw. I would say they own the sub $50 market pretty well. Budget CRKT can be good too.

You can even get US made Kershaws like the Skyline for ~$40

WillBrink
08-11-15, 13:40
I was picking up some wasp spray for my deck and wandered over to the knives in Sporting goods at WalMart.
They had Kershaw knives, (not crap, but not the best by any means) on sale at the $17.00 price point. They are decent enough for EDC and at that price I would feel a lot better if I dropped one in to the sub floor never to be seen again.
Anything above $75.00 is an expensive knife to me. I carry a sharpener and a spare knife in my brief case. They work for me and like I said, I worry less about losing them.

There's a few known name knife manufacturers who are out sourcing the lower end stuff to production in China. By all accounts for the $$$, they are quite good. I got an Emerson for $30 on Amazon and it's been an excellent little folder.

jstalford
08-11-15, 14:08
^^^made by Kershaw

black22rifle
08-11-15, 14:29
What kind of emerson is $30?

WillBrink
08-11-15, 14:56
What kind of emerson is $30?

Here it is. My bad, it's "Designed by Emerson, built by Kershaw" so an Emerson/Kersh collaboration it appears.

For under $30 delivered (if you have Prime) it's a great little folder. The fit/finish/quality surprised me:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-CQC-5K-Modified-Point-Blade/dp/B00I0S1BFW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439322662&sr=8-5&keywords=emerson+kershaw+knives

JaegerOne
08-11-15, 23:54

Yes, using a whetstone/waterstone. I like Naniwa & King stones. Good quality but won't break the bank.

If your knives are really dull, you can start using a 250-400grit. Next, use a 800-1000grit. From there, I go to a 3000grit and that's good enough for me, unless you want to sharpen a straight razor.

I also use a Nagura stone to clean the 1000 & 3000 stone after use.

Just make sure to keep the stones wet while using and soak them first.

Tzook
08-12-15, 16:46
I've both lost and destroyed a nice knife before, and I'll probably never buy one again. It IS worth it when you have it, but when you don't..... You'll be pissed you're out XX dollars.

Voodoo_Man
08-12-15, 16:54
Guess it all depends on what you believe "worth it" means, like newyork said.

What do you want out of a knife?

I recently reviewed a DPx HEST/Folding blade - http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/dpx-hestf-triple-black-serrated-edge.html

Awesome utility EDC blade, would I wear it on duty? No, its "too much knife" for that.

WillBrink
08-12-15, 16:58
Guess it all depends on what you believe "worth it" means, like newyork said.

What do you want out of a knife?

I recently reviewed a DPx HEST/Folding blade - http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/dpx-hestf-triple-black-serrated-edge.html

Awesome utility EDC blade, would I wear it on duty? No, its "too much knife" for that.

Never heard of it, but looks like a great knife. You EDC a grenade?

Kain
08-12-15, 18:27
Here it is. My bad, it's "Designed by Emerson, built by Kershaw" so an Emerson/Kersh collaboration it appears.

For under $30 delivered (if you have Prime) it's a great little folder. The fit/finish/quality surprised me:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-CQC-5K-Modified-Point-Blade/dp/B00I0S1BFW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439322662&sr=8-5&keywords=emerson+kershaw+knives

I bought my nephew one of the Kershaw Emerson designs for christmas last year. Not a bad little knife, and seemed to do well what I have seen. Not sure if he still carrying it though since the knives and phones he carries seem to find their ways either through lawn mowers or under bulldozers. My only two gripes were, one it was a chinese made knife, and two, which isn't a huge gripe, but the one I bought him, which was one of the larger models that Kershaw had at the time with the Emerson wave feature, was heavier than my CQC-13, while being significantly smaller. Just was shocked at how heavy it felt.

You EDC a grenade?

What? You don't? Amateur!

:jester:

The price of trying to make the pics look cool, everyone misses what you are trying to focus on. Lol.

Voodoo_Man
08-12-15, 18:33

Awesome blade.

ugh...yeah? I thought everyone did...

WillBrink
08-12-15, 19:15
Awesome blade.

ugh...yeah? I thought everyone did...

Let me check my state laws on that and get back to you on grenades.

TXBK
08-12-15, 19:34
That was an informative review, Voodoo. I have a seen a review or two of yours, but I went ahead and subscribed so I can stay on top of them. It is an awesome knife, for sure. I agree with you, that it is overkill for EDC, since I carry a fixed blade along with a folder. However, it has replaced my ZT0350 on my outdoor excursions. I went with Elmax.

http://i.imgur.com/giOHd5yl.jpg

Of all the knives I have carried, it seems to me that the knives around $100 have served me the best. Spyderco, Benchmade, and ZT have made up this group of knives for me.

SeriousStudent
08-12-15, 21:31

If you knew where he worked, you'd pack frags too.

ETA: I like Book two, by the way.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-15, 23:53
When we were on vacation my 10 year old son saw some novelty knife in a tourist shop. I told him that I never spend less than $100 on a knife or a flashlight- maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. I've grown quite fond of Benchmade 940 series with the Axis lock and Surefire flashlights. I rarely leave the house with out an EB2 and a Benchmade in the front pockets. I haven't really strayed from The 940s in the past 8 years or so. You can find them on sale for low $100 from time to time.

I don't 'loose' my knives, but I misplace them, so I have four 940s that I cycle thru till I find the missing one somewhere in my bedroom.

TXBK
08-13-15, 02:28
The 940 is a great EDC knife. That's what I carry more than anything. The Axis lock is smooth and secure, and the S30V blade holds an edge very well, yet is still very easy to sharpen. Its size and shape carries very well, even with an EB1 in the same pocket. Pic below: (Top to Bottom) Zero Tolerance 0350 (~$140), DPx Hest/F, Spyderco PM2 (~$130), Benchmade 940 (~$190). Excluding the DPx, the others can be purchased for around $100 on the secondary market (ie. Equipment Exchanges). The 940 and PM2 are my top choices for EDC, currently. It is vitally important to maintain the retention of the clip on a knife to help prevent loss.

http://i.imgur.com/7cdfePKl.jpg

Joelski
08-13-15, 05:39
Strider's run $400 and up, but they will ruin your jeans pockets before they'll fall out without your knowing. The jazz of owning a higher-end knife is the art, design, durability of that oh-so-snobby steel, and cool factor. It likely won't matter to anybody else but you, or the rare fellow knife enthusiast.

You can build an AR from perfectly good parts on a budget, or you can build your dream AR from grail parts. Its an individual thing and the only person that has to care is you.

My hand ground DDC SMF:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/Guns%20and%20Knives/Strider%20Knives/DDC%20SMF/20150514_220304-1-1.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Joelski144/media/Guns%20and%20Knives/Strider%20Knives/DDC%20SMF/20150514_220304-1-1.jpg.html)

WillBrink
08-13-15, 07:26
If you knew where he worked, you'd pack frags too.

If I could I would! Glad he's able to and is one the good guys.

ETA: I like Book two, by the way.

Thanx! If you can leave a review on Amazon, that would be helpful. Working on III now.

RioGrandeGreen
08-13-15, 13:39
Guys,

If you need a good ZT knife go to Dvor.com and sign up. They got a great deal on ZT knives going on.

I picked up a 0620 for $140 awhile back and its a tank. I have Emersons, Benchmades but ZT's are awesome.

Stay safe
RGGreen

newyork
08-13-15, 15:27
Lots of great points here. Nice DDC Joel.

Joelski
08-13-15, 18:38
Thank you, sir!

Kain
08-13-15, 18:57
Guys,

If you need a good ZT knife go to Dvor.com and sign up. They got a great deal on ZT knives going on.

I picked up a 0620 for $140 awhile back and its a tank. I have Emersons, Benchmades but ZT's are awesome.

Stay safe
RGGreen

Off topic.
How is DVOR? I think I have like $40 in store credit there since I signed up and never bought anything and they keep giving me like $5 every year on my birthday.

Voodoo_Man
08-13-15, 18:58
Off topic.
How is DVOR? I think I have like $40 in store credit there since I signed up and never bought anything and they keep giving me like $5 every year on my birthday.

If you don't know DVOR is a clearance website for optics-planet. A lot of their stuff is 5-15% cheaper then optics-planet because they can't sell it at the normal price so they want to make some kind of money off it - genius to make it seem like a "sale!" type of thing.

Kain
08-13-15, 19:20
If you don't know DVOR is a clearance website for optics-planet. A lot of their stuff is 5-15% cheaper then optics-planet because they can't sell it at the normal price so they want to make some kind of money off it - genius to make it seem like a "sale!" type of thing.

Interesting, I did not know that.
I'm probably not the demographic that they are selling to though. I have entirely too much self control, unless it is a really good. Have never fallen for the "it's a sale!" line. If the price isn't right, I walk. It is a rare day that I just has to have it NOW! My first BCM upper was that way though, it is why I ended up with a BFH, lol.
That said, I am now looking more seriously at one of the ZTs that DVOR has on their site.

P2Vaircrewman
08-13-15, 20:44
My most expensive knife is a Puma Master I bought for $85 back in the 1980's, today it is about $170. I don't often carry it because it doesn't have a pocket clip. My daily carry is a Gerber Airframe.

RioGrandeGreen
08-14-15, 01:59
Off topic.

It's alright, shipping is high but there are some good deals. Now if you got $40 credit damn your good! The most I have gotten is $10.

Stay safe and carry
RGGreen

Maple Leaf pilgrim
08-14-15, 02:50
Back before the higher end knives were really de rigueur, I was told that any knife I brought with me on deployment stood at least a chance of being lost and HRM wasn't paying for it's replacement. To this end I went and bought a 420 stainless dagger for 10 bob at one of the head shops local to my station and threw that on my webbing. I had that POS for over twenty two years and never once even lost sight of the bugger. A mate of mine went and bought some disco "commando" knife for 100 quid (not a F-S) and lost it the first time we had to cross a river sans bridge. Poor toss lost two days pay in that bit of current...

-S.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-14-15, 12:27
Back before the higher end knives were really de rigueur, I was told that any knife I brought with me on deployment stood at least a chance of being lost and HRM wasn't paying for it's replacement. To this end I went and bought a 420 stainless dagger for 10 bob at one of the head shops local to my station and threw that on my webbing. I had that POS for over twenty two years and never once even lost sight of the bugger. A mate of mine went and bought some disco "commando" knife for 100 quid (not a F-S) and lost it the first time we had to cross a river sans bridge. Poor toss lost two days pay in that bit of current...

-S.

Funny story, Gov'nor! ;)

There are pieces of kit that I can't seem to lose that I want to replace.

Jellybean
08-16-15, 23:14
That "point of diminishing returns" issue brought up is pretty much where I've got to with all my stuff.
Knives, especially for an EDC, pretty much boils down to "is it a good knife" and intended use.
Now if a couple hundred bucks of knife falls out of my pocket and some walmart mutant gets it I will be blind pissed and crying like a little baby.
Also, I've had a Gerber Paraframe that has functioned just wonderfully in this role for the last, what has it been, like ten years? And is finally getting replaced due to screws falling out.
To that end, there will be a baby RAT or two making it's nest in my pocket soon. Best I can tell, excellent knife, stupid cheap. If I lose one or bust it, I'll be upset to be sure, but then I'll have another around somewhere, so...it won't be so bad.

Now, I tend to differ a little between an EDC "go to town" knife and a "serious use" knife or fixed blade.
If I needed a folder deploying to [insert favorite dunghill here] or the end of the world, I would grab a BM or ZT and never think twice.
Fixed blades are outdoor/survival/bush/SHTF knives and need to hold up to that use so... no el-cheapo specials there, BUT.... since there's apparently nothing wrong with a*well priced* knife that just so happens to have a decent quality pedigree.... I've got an ESEE, even thought I'd rather have a cooler and perhaps slightly better knife. Point of diminishing returns and all that.
YMMV