PDA

View Full Version : What are you guys carrying in your G42s?

Flankenstein
08-08-15, 23:31
Or what is your SO carrying in hers?

Just had a disappointing outing with my new 42 (June 11, 2015 production) and Underwood 90g xtreme penetrator rounds.

Slide locked backed prematurely in every mag I fired. I fired a total of 40 rounds ox the xtreme penetrator rounds.

(I also fired 150 rounds of freedom munitions 90 grain fmjs today as well and had maybe 3 or so of the same malfunctions. I expected it with the freedom- not with what I hoped to be my new carry ammo.)

LibertyNeverDies
08-09-15, 06:30
I've been shooting the freedom munitions ammo (100rounds) and the underwwod +P penetrators (20rds). Very low round count, but should have and opportunity to shoot more this next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure on exact manufacture date but mine is one of the new FDE versions from lispey's.

Are you sure you're not pushing the slide stop up? Another thing are you shooting the +P or standard pressure? The +P in my gun were sharp and I could easy see someone changing their grip to compensate. I'd take it out again and make triple sure you're not pushing the slide stop up.

T2C
08-09-15, 07:20
CCI Lawman 90g HP functions well and is very accurate. Once my stash is expended, I will load the G42 with Speer GDHP 90g.

denn1911
08-09-15, 09:40
Speer Gold Dot has been flawless in mine. For FMJ, PMC has been great.

Flankenstein
08-09-15, 13:53
I've been shooting the freedom munitions ammo (100rounds) and the underwwod +P penetrators (20rds). Very low round count, but should have and opportunity to shoot more this next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure on exact manufacture date but mine is one of the new FDE versions from lispey's.

Are you sure you're not pushing the slide stop up? Another thing are you shooting the +P or standard pressure? The +P in my gun were sharp and I could easy see someone changing their grip to compensate. I'd take it out again and make triple sure you're not pushing the slide stop up.

Ok, good stuff. Standard pressure, not riding the slide stop (very sure), and also a new FDE model.

I just ordered 80 rounds of Underwood 90g XTP to test out next weekend. Kind of bummed that the xtreme penetrators don't work in my gun though.

Slvr Surfr
08-14-15, 23:38
90 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point. No issues. I also had the slide lock back on FMJ ammo, but it was because I was bumping the slide stop up on accident.

TexasAggie2005
08-15-15, 10:34
Speer Gold Dot 90gr.

So far my G42 has eaten every brand of .380 I've run thru it.

LibertyNeverDies
08-15-15, 15:21
Ok, good stuff. Standard pressure, not riding the slide stop (very sure), and also a new FDE model.

I just ordered 80 rounds of Underwood 90g XTP to test out next weekend. Kind of bummed that the xtreme penetrators don't work in my gun though.

Try the extreme penetrator +P. Maybe those will work better.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot more. But if you have the time I'd test the gun with some other FMJ and see if it is still prematurely locking back. If that doesn't work I'd send it in for warranty work. Everything I've read on the "newer" glock 42 has been good. Could it be a magazine issue? This is making be think I need to put 100rounds of penetrators though my gun before I trust them.

Flankenstein
08-15-15, 17:28
Happy to report that I fired 210 rounds to day with no issue. I shot the following:

100 95g Fiocchi FMJ
60 90g Underwood XTP
25 Hornady Custom XTP
25 90g Hornady z-max

I did call Kevin Underwood and he was unaware of the xtreme penetrator rounds having issues in Gock 42s. He did mention that they are redesigning the bullet and if it was the bullet shape/dimensions causing the issue the new design should alleviate the issue.

ggammell
08-15-15, 17:57
Speer Gold Dot 90gr.

So far my G42 has eaten every brand of .380 I've run thru it.

I don't know why you would look any further than this. Availability excepted.

Flankenstein
08-15-15, 18:36
I don't know why you would look any further than this. Availability excepted.

You don't know why? Ok...

Because I want more penetration out of the puny little .380 round.

ggammell
08-15-15, 20:14
You don't know why? Ok...

Because I want more penetration out of the puny little .380 round.

Well don't complain about having goofy after market rounds causing issues when a perfectly proven brand providing quality ammo exists. .380 and penetration were things that aren't meant to be in the same sentence.

T2C
08-15-15, 22:30
A .380 in hand is better than the large caliber handgun left at home.

Flankenstein
08-15-15, 22:38
A .380 in hand is better than the large caliber handgun left at home.

'Cuz thats what this thread is about...

ST911
08-16-15, 08:14
G42s I see have consistently fed XTPs well. Loadings have been BHA and Hornady's Custom and American Gunner lines. Critical Defense and the Z-Max have also been GTG. For a JHP, I like XTPs in this caliber.

Corbon DPX is another good option in this caliber.

There is no SAAMI standard for .380 +P, so buyer beware.

BangBang77
08-16-15, 09:29
Between my wife and I, there are three G42s in my house and I run 90gr Hydra Shock in them with no issues.

Flankenstein
08-16-15, 11:23
Well don't complain about having goofy after market rounds causing issues when a perfectly proven brand providing quality ammo exists. .380 and penetration were things that aren't meant to be in the same sentence.

The Lehigh bullet in underwood's loading isn't goofy or gimmicky. Do some research.

The Gold dot is no longer the best performing bullet, not even close.

Flankenstein
08-16-15, 11:26
G42s I see have consistently fed XTPs well. Loadings have been BHA and Hornady's Custom and American Gunner lines. Critical Defense and the Z-Max have also been GTG. For a JHP, I like XTPs in this caliber.

Corbon DPX is another good option in this caliber.

There is no SAAMI standard for .380 +P, so buyer beware.

Yes, I'm leery of +p .380 for this reason. Evens from reputable shops like Underwood. Not worth it to me.

ggammell
08-16-15, 11:31
The Lehigh bullet in underwood's loading isn't goofy or gimmicky. Do some research.

The Gold dot is no longer the best performing bullet, not even close.

You mentioned this already.

Flankenstein
08-16-15, 11:37
You mentioned this already.

And that post was deleted by ST911.

artoter
08-16-15, 12:47
Right now, on the G42 I have in my pocket, I am carrying Remington 88 grain JHP's. They are "old school" JHP's, but seem to run well. If I don't have them loaded up, I carry the Hornady 90 grain Critical Defense round...both run good in my Glock.

mayonaise
08-17-15, 08:37
Gold Dot 90gr and Fed HST

Street Dog
08-18-15, 17:03
Hornady Critical Defense 90Gr.

arptsprt
08-18-15, 20:13
Federal Hydra Shock, HST, or Rem Golden Sabre are very reliable in mine. Hornaday TAP was worthless. Malfunction almost every single round. I guess there is a reason they don't make it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST911
08-18-15, 20:24
Malfunction almost every single round. I guess there is a reason they don't make it anymore.

What was it doing?

FlyingHunter
08-18-15, 20:28
Anybody try the new Federal HST 99 grain .380?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/04/federals-new-380-acp-round/