PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Sight Install Price

ddmk18
08-09-15, 19:28
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum. I looked to post in the most appropriate and hope this is correct.

I recently took my Glock 43 in to one of my local guns shops to have them install my new sights. I have never used them for sight install, and by my own admission never asked them what they charged. I have had sights installed on several other handguns at various shops around town. Sometimes the gun was purchased from the particular shop, others weren't. The sights have always been ordered online. Bottom line, I was charged $50.00 to install sights on my Glock. I am just looking to see if others find this extremely high, or have i just been lucky with my other shops charging a much more reasonable price (in my opinion). I don't want to flame or badmouth this shop if their prices really are in line with the industry standard. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Quiet-Matt
08-09-15, 19:31
GT Distributors here In town does this as a free service regardless of whether or not you bought the sights from them.

ddmk18
08-09-15, 19:36
If only GT wasn't so far away. Austin is the closest and they are 2.5 hours away. I know several shops will do free install if you buy the pistol or sights from them. Was just trying to spread my money around to some of the local shops and support them. Guess this one is off the list, unless I hear their prices are in line with the industry standard.

Quiet-Matt
08-09-15, 20:07
The most I've paid personally is $20.
$50 seems a bit high since you can buy a good sight pusher for $65

Talon167
08-09-15, 20:23
$50 is way high. $20 locally.

t1tan
08-09-15, 20:40
Shops in my area wanted $90+, so I said **** you and bought my own sight pusher for less and last year upgraded to the MGW Pro

Toecheese
08-09-15, 20:54
I thought Glock sights were some of the easiest to swap out.......do you really need a sight pusher? OP, I would find someone with a vice and just do it yourself.

T2C
08-09-15, 21:14
If you purchase sights from a local gun shop, the going rate around here is $20-$25. Some shops won't install sights purchased elsewhere.

I just purchased a Fischer sight tool for $90. It is better built than the sight pusher I have been using over the past 17 years. The standard sight pusher is $60, but I wanted the larger one to install larger target sights on tall slides. With a little creative shimming I can use it on some of my 1040's vintage rifles. If you have any mechanical ability and will be installing more than one sight set over the next few years, buying your on sight tool is worth the investment.

If you decide to install your own sights, buy a decent caliper and measure the distance of the sight from one side of the slide for reference. You can calculate sight adjustment in thousandths of an inch by using the formula POI Error in inches x Sight Radius in inches/Distance to Target in iinches. You can find the formula and a sight adjustment chart on the Brownell's website.

samuse
08-09-15, 22:39
Send the slide to Glock and their night sights are $57 installed.

I do fine with the stock night sights so that's all I use.

T2C
08-09-15, 22:44
Send the slide to Glock and their night sights are $57 installed.

I do fine with the stock night sights so that's all I use.

Some people like the three dot system. Many prefer the bar dot or dot over dot, so replacing OEM nights sights on non-issue weapons is a common occurrence.

ddmk18
08-09-15, 23:35
Thanks for the replies fellas. Interesting to see that what I thought was the going rate, is in fact the going rate.
I am a fan of the Ameriglo I Dot Pros, and haven't found a dealer close to me that carries them, so I have always ordered. The I Dot Pros just came out for the 43 within the last week, so I wanted them NOW and ordered directly from Ameriglo ( kick ass factory direct service, by the way!!). After this I will strongly consider buying a sight pusher, as I think even I could handle the install.
Mods, my question has been answered feel free to close this thread.

GregP220
08-10-15, 09:01
http://www.sightpusher.com/Handgun-Sight-Tool.html - 60 bucks with free shipping.

I've used this one for years. Maybe a pro gunsmith would need something more deluxe but this is worth it to me.

Abraham
08-10-15, 09:28
I bought sights for my Glock 19 and they installed them without charge.

Even if you didn't buy your sights from them, $50.00 is absurd.

26 Inf
08-10-15, 10:00
Generally, I'd tend to agree that 50.00 is an absurd price to pay - especially if you (the consumer) have it done more than once.

A lot of variables can go into setting rates - is this a one-time customer or someone I see in the shop often? (although a lower price might mean that one-time customer becomes a regular) How much am I paying the guy who does the install? How many sights do we install - amortization of the tool cost as well as proficiency leading to quicker installs and less broken parts should be a consideration in cost. Did I sell you the sights? If so at retail or discounted? What will the market bear?

I go to a LGS quite often just to BS with the guys I know who work there and browse. I buy cleaning supplies, HD ammo and ammo for weapons I don't shoot a bunch from them, practice ammo I order through other sources, buy they do all of my transfers. I can get my cleaning supplies, and ammo cheaper at a big box store, so why do I buy from them? 1) I like them; 2) When I needed something done requiring a reamer I didn't have, I took it in and asked if they had the reamer, yep, shuddering that I was about to pay for the tool, I asked them to do it. Three minutes later it is done, when I asked how much, hand wave and 'on the house.'

That is why unless it costs 15% more to buy a gun from them I don't drive out of town or order online.

Lots of variables in setting price.

Etho
08-10-15, 10:13
Damn! Here I thought $20 was so ridiculous that I went and bought a sight pusher to do my own from here on out.

SpecWired
08-10-15, 11:48
Usually free from where you get the sights. Or $20-$30 usually.

Or get a sight pusher. It's actually really easy if you have a pusher and front sight tool

Gunfixr
08-10-15, 12:27
Damn, im not charging enough.

Seriously, glock sights are so simple. Its free where i am if you bought the gun or the sights from us. Usually $20 if you walk in with both.
Some guns are a bit more, maybe $30 or so. While everybody touts the pusher, they dont usually install front dovetailed sights.
I came up with a setup to push, so far every pistol sight i have come across, front and rear in and out. Takes a little time, but it always works, without damaging anything.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

t1tan
08-10-15, 12:50
http://www.sightpusher.com/Handgun-Sight-Tool.html - 60 bucks with free shipping.

I've used this one for years. Maybe a pro gunsmith would need something more deluxe but this is worth it to me.

I found these to be total shit.

Warp
08-10-15, 13:29
My LGS has installed sights onto Glocks for free if I bought the gun or the sights from them, otherwise I have been charged $20. Anything over $20-$25 for a simple install like that is simply unreasonable IMO.

But these days I use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Ameriglo-Laser-Sight-Accessories-GTOOL2/dp/B003C6O5DM/ref=sr_1_24?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1439231429&sr=1-24

And one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IURNYC?psc=1