PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a quality A2 upper?

SLewis
08-10-15, 15:01
I am in the market for a complete A2 upper receiver.

Specs I'm looking for:
A2 Receiver, Obviously
20" 1:7 Government Profile Barrel
Made from Quality parts
Looking to spend ~$700

BCM has an offering that meets the 2/3 of my requirements except it has a flattop upper.
Rock River and Fulton make something similar, but the barrel is 1:9 twist and I don't want to deal with their sub-par quality.

Purpose of Gun:
I am looking for a gun for range use only as I have others that are suited for a defensive role.
I want the A2 for nostalgic purposes and because I love iron sights for range guns. I have no plans to add an optic at any point in the future.
I expect quality in the firearms I purchase, and don't accept settling on less. Although it's first purpose wouldn't be for defense, I want to have confidence in all of my guns if the need would arise.

I am also not necessarily looking for a National Match, but If I have to get a National Match it'd be a White Oak.

Is there a company out there making a gun that meets my specifications that I've somehow overlooked?

Thanks

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 15:02
I asked the same thing 4 years ago. I doubt there's been anything since then.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-72531.html

IraqVet1982
08-10-15, 15:04
Did you check Colt?

Call G&R tactical, they could probably help you.

C-grunt
08-10-15, 15:30
I think you're going to have to build it. Buy the stripped A2 upper from someone like PSA and the rest of the parts from BCM.

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 15:38
I think you're going to have to build it. Buy the stripped A2 upper from someone like PSA and the rest of the parts from BCM.

That's gonna get expensive. ADCO, for example, charges $145 to install the FSB alone.

SLewis
08-10-15, 15:43
I've looked into building as well. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable or have the means to drill the taper pin holes in the FSB.

Looking for a used Colt A2 upper hasn't been going all that well either.

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 15:47
I've looked into building as well. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable or have the means to drill the taper pin holes in the FSB.

Looking for a used Colt A2 upper hasn't been going all that well either.

As I said, I've been looking for one for 4 years. Unless you want to drop serious coin or settle for a lesser quality rifle such as Bushmaster you're out of options.

Firefly
08-10-15, 15:59
Brownells has stripped Colt A2 receivers if you were willing to pay to go that far.
Personally speaking, assembly an A2 receiver is pretty depressing especially with the little detent balls.

People compete and win with A4s so unless it's just nostalgia, it's kind of a legacy part.

Good luck

Toecheese
08-10-15, 16:44
I would just build it.....contact Rainier Arms for barrel, pinning etc. RRA has stripped uppers:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=279

or:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=268&CFID=511308590&CFTOKEN=90310139

or:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=259

GH41
08-10-15, 17:29
Try Fidelis for Colt OEM http://fidelisfirearms.com/category/colt-uppers/ If you can't find a Colt buy the BCM and sell the flat top receiver. Colt take off assembled receivers with small parts can be found for 250-300.

Eurodriver
08-10-15, 17:34
Try Fidelis for Colt OEM http://fidelisfirearms.com/category/colt-uppers/ If you can't find a Colt buy the BCM and sell the flat top receiver. Colt take off assembled receivers with small parts can be found for 250-300.

The front sight base will be f marked and won't mate correctly with the fixed carry handle

81mmcat
08-10-15, 18:37
What i did was to take .040 off of the sight post of an f marked sight base bcm middy barrel when I put it on a colt 6520 a2 upper.

C-grunt
08-10-15, 18:46

That website has a Colt A2 heavy barrel. Maybe send it to ADCO to have it lightened up a bit?

Eurodriver
08-11-15, 08:11
What i did was to take .040 off of the sight post of an f marked sight base bcm middy barrel when I put it on a colt 6520 a2 upper.

That's a good idea. How did you measure 0.040"?

81mmcat
08-11-15, 10:20
Take out the post measure overall length with micrometer or vernier caliper, take a little off at a time then I cold blued the top afterwards.

GH41
08-11-15, 14:00
The front sight base will be f marked and won't mate correctly with the fixed carry handle

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?70448-F-Marked-Front-Sight-On-A-A2-Upper May or may not need to be cut depending on choice of zero.

Iraqgunz
08-11-15, 15:07
I have a non F-marked FSB on my MILSPEC FN barrel mated to a flat top upper. It zeroed just fine. The other way around is when the problems start. FOr an A2 style upper there aren't that many sources. I would stay as far away from RRA as I could. Check Gunbroker for deals on some Colt barrels, or simply get a COlt A2 upper. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

SLewis
08-11-15, 15:15
White Oak has stripped A2 uppers, which is where I'd buy if I had to result to building one.

I've been considering buying the BCM complete upper and moving the parts over. Im not worried about the F marked fsb as others have noted it's not much of a real issue.

Just seems like a lot of hassle to get something so simple done right.

Toecheese
08-11-15, 16:41
I have a non F-marked FSB on my MILSPEC FN barrel mated to a flat top upper. It zeroed just fine. The other way around is when the problems start. FOr an A2 style upper there aren't that many sources. I would stay as far away from RRA as I could. Check Gunbroker for deals on some Colt barrels, or simply get a COlt A2 upper. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Interesting....I've seen some RRA barrels tack drive. Are you referring to their less than stellar QC?

White Oak has stripped A2 uppers, which is where I'd buy if I had to result to building one.

I've been considering buying the BCM complete upper and moving the parts over. Im not worried about the F marked fsb as others have noted it's not much of a real issue.

Just seems like a lot of hassle to get something so simple done right.

I linked WOA already in this thread......agreed! They machine some killer barrels and precision uppers!

nimdabew
08-11-15, 22:20
I am going to send you a PM.

RWH24
08-11-15, 23:51
I am in the market for a complete A2 upper receiver.

Specs I'm looking for:
A2 Receiver, Obviously
20" 1:7 Government Profile Barrel
Made from Quality parts
Looking to spend ~$700

BCM has an offering that meets the 2/3 of my requirements except it has a flattop upper.
Rock River and Fulton make something similar, but the barrel is 1:9 twist and I don't want to deal with their sub-par quality.

Purpose of Gun:
I am looking for a gun for range use only as I have others that are suited for a defensive role.
I want the A2 for nostalgic purposes and because I love iron sights for range guns. I have no plans to add an optic at any point in the future.
I expect quality in the firearms I purchase, and don't accept settling on less. Although it's first purpose wouldn't be for defense, I want to have confidence in all of my guns if the need would arise.

I am also not necessarily looking for a National Match, but If I have to get a National Match it'd be a White Oak.

Is there a company out there making a gun that meets my specifications that I've somehow overlooked?

Thanks

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-15.aspx

BUBBAGUNS
08-12-15, 00:20
doesn't FN make an A2?

Iraqgunz
08-12-15, 04:37
I am talking about lack of HP/MPI testing, Dremeling feedramps in receivers after the fact, clamp on front sight bases, non F-marked front sight bases and more.

Interesting....I've seen some RRA barrels tack drive. Are you referring to their less than stellar QC?

I linked WOA already in this thread......agreed! They machine some killer barrels and precision uppers!

SLewis
08-12-15, 10:04
http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-15.aspx

I only see Hbar barrels with 1:9 twist from them unless I'm missing something. Have also heard that they charge way too much for the quality you receive.

doesn't FN make an A2?

I think they only make A4's now. I'm sure there are some used uppers out there, but I haven't seen any.

TomMcC
08-12-15, 10:29
Pickings are slim for a complete A2, but CMMG makes one with a seemingly inspec barrel. CMMG isn't generally looked at as Tier1 but you might take a look.

nimdabew
08-12-15, 12:18
I only see Hbar barrels with 1:9 twist from them unless I'm missing something. Have also heard that they charge way too much for the quality you receive.

Check your private messages up at the top of the page.

Fordtough25
08-12-15, 12:56
I built mine with a surplus Colt A2 upper and a new FN chrome lined government profile barrel setup. Shoots great, 1x7 twist baby!

Iraqgunz
08-12-15, 14:05
Fulton Armory is generally crap.

I think they only make A4's now. I'm sure there are some used uppers out there, but I haven't seen any.

Stan_TheGunNut
08-14-15, 09:37
The A2's seem to be getting more popular due to nostalgia. I think many of us on here may have served and were issued and A2 rifle. That's why I wanted one.

I ended up buying an FN barrel from Brownells. It's a government profile, 1/7 twist, 20 inch. I also sourced a complete A2 upper receiver (dont' remember where) and a non F marked front site base. I still need to send it to ADCO to pin the base in place. The only complaint I have so far is the barrel does have M4 feedramps which isn't correct, but it's not something that I'm too worried about.

If someone made a quality and proper A2 rifle, without lots of company logos on them, I'd certainly buy it, maybe a couple.

RWH24
08-14-15, 15:12
Fulton Armory is generally crap.

Thanks, Glad to know this.

Iraqgunz
08-14-15, 15:18
Unfortunately, in the market place they aren't selling all that well which is why no one is doing it. Many people seem to compromise and will accept an A4 styled upper which is why they are much easier to find.

The A2's seem to be getting more popular due to nostalgia. I think many of us on here may have served and were issued and A2 rifle. That's why I wanted one.

I ended up buying an FN barrel from Brownells. It's a government profile, 1/7 twist, 20 inch. I also sourced a complete A2 upper receiver (dont' remember where) and a non F marked front site base. I still need to send it to ADCO to pin the base in place. The only complaint I have so far is the barrel does have M4 feedramps which isn't correct, but it's not something that I'm too worried about.

If someone made a quality and proper A2 rifle, without lots of company logos on them, I'd certainly buy it, maybe a couple.