PDA

View Full Version : PPQ M2 in .45acp

cwgibson
08-10-15, 15:47
If you like your PPQ as much as I do this is great news. I honestly did not think Walther would make a 45 but they proved me wrong it seems.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/08/walther-ppq-45-acp-pistol-a-new-caliber/#axzz3iRm8Ykp5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TMS951
08-10-15, 16:12
12 rounds is impressive considering a 9mm only holds 15.

I'd like to see how much bigger it is than the 9mm.

Helix12
08-10-15, 16:46
I bought a PPQ M1 Classic in 9mm last month and I love it. I would like to handle one of these new .45 PPQs even if I am unlikely to buy one.

What I would really like to see is a compact PPQ. I think if they came out with one of those I would buy the first one I could get my hands on.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-10-15, 16:53
Nice! Always good to see more .45 options.

cwgibson
08-10-15, 17:16
Nice! Always good to see more .45 options.

I would think that a vp45 would be along at some point as well. This information was listed on the Walther FB page but I do not see anything listed as far as dimensions etc. Hopefully they will be releasing more details soon.

vereceleritas
08-10-15, 17:32
More options are certainly nice. Personally, I think a PPQ compact should have taken priority over this and I still think it was a mistake for them to abandon the paddle mag release.

cwgibson
08-10-15, 17:41
More options are certainly nice. Personally, I think a PPQ compact should have taken priority over this and I still think it was a mistake for them to abandon the paddle mag release.

I am just speculating but Walther probably considers the CCP a compact PPQ, even though it's not.

Mark71
08-10-15, 17:47
I am wondering if these are German made or being built here specially after reading this....

We have built it to the same exacting German standards that deliver the ultimate home defense and personal protection firearm.

SteveL
08-10-15, 17:58

Agreed.

cwgibson
08-10-15, 18:07
I am wondering if these are German made or being built here specially after reading this....

Probably made here at their new facility.

titsonritz
08-10-15, 18:13
I am just speculating but Walther probably considers the CCP a compact PPQ, even though it's not.

Not even close. Furthermore, I'll never own any defensive pistol that requires a tool to field strip.

cwgibson
08-10-15, 18:14

hickuleas
08-10-15, 18:17
Will buy one if they release a M1 version. Very happy with my PPQ's but for me they must be paddle style magazine release.

Toecheese
08-10-15, 19:08
Great news! Hopefully they will offer a TB option and extended mags.

call_me_ski
08-10-15, 21:01
Probably made here at their new facility.

The pictures show German and CIP proof marks so at the very least to prototypes were not made here.

w3453l
08-10-15, 23:06
I wouldn't trust pictures 100%. Some companies will use photoshop on pictures of their existing handguns when rendering images of new upcoming models.

I think this was the case with HK when they released pictures of the P30SK. I remember also seeing stock photos of P2000SK's which were photoshopped images of the full size P2000.

Helix12
08-11-15, 05:58

I am new to Walthers as of last month when I bought my PPQ M1 Classic, which has the paddle mag release. I wasn't aware that they are abandoning this type release. Is that really true? I find it is faster than the normal side mounted button release.

cwgibson
08-11-15, 07:12
I am new to Walthers as of last month when I bought my PPQ M1 Classic, which has the paddle mag release. I wasn't aware that they are abandoning this type release. Is that really true? I find it is faster than the normal side mounted button release.

If I recall correctly they did stop producing the PPQ M1 but started making them again due to demand. There is not any indication that they will make the .45 with a paddle release but time will tell.

Charlie Don't Surf
08-11-15, 08:23
http://www.guns.com/2015/08/11/walther-ppq-45-incoming-video/

vereceleritas
08-11-15, 10:07

Every new model that Walther has released recently, PPQ 5", PPX, CCP, PPQ 22lr and now the PPQ45 has had the button mag release and no equivalent paddle mag release variant. That's a clear sign to me that they've abandoned the paddle mag release as a whole.

cwgibson
08-11-15, 10:41
Every new model that Walther has released recently, PPQ 5", PPX, CCP, PPQ 22lr and now the PPQ45 has had the button mag release and no equivalent paddle mag release variant. That's a clear sign to me that they've abandoned the paddle mag release as a whole.

I bought one so I know they did do a run of them in 2014. I would check with a distributor to see if any are available.

http://www.guns.com/2014/01/07/walther-bringing-back-ppq-m1-2014/

Charlie Don't Surf
08-11-15, 11:55
I bought one so I know they did do a run of them in 2014. I would check with a distributor to see if any are available.

They are still available. The not well thought of CTD carries them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vereceleritas
08-11-15, 14:25

I know the original PPQ (now designated PPQ M1) and original PPQ Navy were paddle release. I owned one. I'm saying none of the pistols or PPQ variants released since have even had the option. They never even offered a 5" PPQ M1 even though it was as simple as putting a 5" slide assembly onto a M1 frame.

w3453l
08-11-15, 15:08
I think Walther is phasing out paddles in the long run. There was a long thread about all the rumors with some contradicting confirmations about the M1 from people within Walther. I remember reading that Walther (in Germany) decided to go all button release, and stop shipping M1's to the US. After the complaints they decided to continue with the paddle mag release, but only for the PPQ. There's a lot of reading to do here:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/35525-end-ppq-m1-version-no-more-paddles-no-bret-says-s-not-true.html

Post #1 says a lot. I know the thread is a little dated, and things could have changed. I think Walther's long term plans are to drop paddle style frames altogether, with the PPQ M1 being the last model with paddles. I'm not saying they are discontinueing the M1. I'm sure there will be continued support for it, but the PPQ series was Walther's transition from paddles to button style release.

brickboy240
08-11-15, 15:50
If it performs like the 9mm PPQ...what is not to love?

I also welcome any and all 45 options these days.

How many times has XYZ Gun Company come out with a nice pistol in 9mm and your first thought was, "that is cool...but I'd really like it in 45ACP!"

...too many times.

MistWolf
08-11-15, 19:01
It's a mistake for Walther to ditch their paddle releases. It's part of why HK was able to take over the market the PPQ opened up.

I would love a PPQ-45. A striker fired 45 ACP with a good trigger and a 12 round mag would be awesome. But it's less than awesome without the paddle release

Kain
08-11-15, 19:05
It's a mistake for Walther to ditch their paddle releases. It's part of why HK was able to take over the market the PPQ opened up.

I would love a PPQ-45. A striker fired 45 ACP with a good trigger and a 12 round mag would be awesome. But it's less than awesome without the paddle release

I agree with this. I really like the paddle release on a gun, and like or not, it is a good ambi mag release for both right or left handed shooters with no need to switch parts like in some other models. The PPQ 45 holding 12 rounds with a paddle release would be of interest to me as well.

Charlie Don't Surf
08-11-15, 19:33
You can add me to preferring the paddle mag release as well. I wonder what Walther's sales numbers are with the M1 vs M2.

Does anyone else find it weird that this is suppose to hit the street in less than 2 months and this is the first anyone has heard about it???

Kain
08-11-15, 20:17
Does anyone else find it weird that this is suppose to hit the street in less than 2 months and this is the first anyone has heard about it???

Maybe Walther has really good Op sec?

On the flip side, I think magpul has even said that they don't like announcing products that are in the development cycle too far in advance because they then get hounded with the "Are we there yet?!?" types who want tit now. Walther I could see being just the same.

Of course, they could be saying it will hit the street in two months and we not see one for two years, too.

jpmuscle
08-11-15, 20:27
Or Walther still sucks at marketing?

cwgibson
08-12-15, 00:55
Wasn't the vp9 somewhat of a surprise? I don't remember hearing much about it before it was released.

montrala
08-12-15, 05:18
Rumours of striker fired "P30" were floating for 3-4 years before VP9 debut. It was confirmed that HK works on this pistol, but there was no info what it will be. Only from time to time some pictures leaked or someone (me for example) got a glimpse of something that some HK executive was showing to some high level customers on close LE/mil exhibitions. No. It was not a surprise. As VP40 is not one and VP45 either. We just do not know when exactly it will happen.

Charlie Don't Surf
08-12-15, 09:56
Rumours of striker fired "P30" were floating for 3-4 years before VP9 debut. It was confirmed that HK works on this pistol, but there was no info what it will be. Only from time to time some pictures leaked or someone (me for example) got a glimpse of something that some HK executive was showing to some high level customers on close LE/mil exhibitions. No. It was not a surprise. As VP40 is not one and VP45 either. We just do not know when exactly it will happen.

I was betting big on the VP45. Looks like Walther gets my money first.

brickboy240
08-12-15, 10:26
Maybe they learned something with the terrible roll out of the 9mm PPQ. Changing mag releases and making mags that were not compatible between the two - it was a terrible roll out any way you paint it.

If the 45 PPQ comes out and it has one mag release, a great trigger, great ergos, is reliable and has mags we can actually find and buy...it will be a winner.

Someone...some where...IS going to get the polymer striker 45 right at some point.

BBossman
08-12-15, 12:26
Obviously they aren't related, but first thing that struck me was it sort of resembles a Hi Point .45.

Just sayin...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/e8cef9a9-cb56-4a08-b330-53c0ac486427_zpszitviyyp.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/Hi-Point%20.45%20ACP%20Polymer%20Frame%20Black%20Finish%209%20Round%201_zps3bi2jtuf.jpg

MistWolf
08-12-15, 12:45
I think the Hi Point looks more like a Glock

call_me_ski
08-12-15, 15:39
As montrala pointed out there were murmurs for a while before its release. Honestly I dont see the point of a long and drawn out launch. People have short attention spans so you might as well ship pistols as they are on the cover of every gun rag, not 6 months later.

w3453l
08-12-15, 17:22
"If the 45 PPQ comes out and it has one mag release, a great trigger, great ergos, is reliable and has mags we can actually find and buy...it will be a winner." - brickboy240

Except it will most likely be a button release. Not a terrible thing, but it seems a lot of Walther's fan base is comprised of paddle mag release users.

Walther has always been one of the lesser known/advertised brands. You kind of had to be somewhat familiar with guns in general to know about Walther. Unlike Glock which has always been a household name no matter who you are. Most of Walther's long time loyal users are the same that have been using the P99 in the past. Dropping paddles altogether could hit some people hard, but the whole paddle vs button issue has been talked about over and over enough already.

The best thing for them to do would be to design one mag that's cross compatible with both frames from the start, and never even think about mentioning dropping one frame design or the other.

Helix12
08-12-15, 20:27
I don't think the Hi Point has much of a resemblance to either the PPQ or the Glock. And that's a good thing for both the Walther and the Glock.

Jacob1
08-12-15, 20:31
That looks absolutely nothing like a hi point.

Toecheese
08-12-15, 21:55
Obviously they aren't related, but first thing that struck me was it sort of resembles a Hi Point .45.

Just sayin...

Not even close.......closer to the PPX though.

All this bitching and moaning about how Walther screwed up the M1/M2 paddle design, and why can't mags be interchangeable and on and on........who cares. If these talking points prevent you from purchasing a dead accurate pistol with the best striker fired trigger in the industry, then move on! Mags can be found for $30-$40 which is reasonably competitive compared to HK, Sig, M&P etc. I spend $100 in ammo at one range session, so why is spending a few extra bucks on some mags a big deal?

I don't think the Hi Point has much of a resemblance to either the PPQ or the Glock. And that's a good thing for both the Walther and the Glock.

That looks absolutely nothing like a hi point.

agreed.......unless you're blind!

BBossman
08-13-15, 09:32
agreed.......unless you're blind!

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/49-EsAoN_zpsczyaiukh.gif

Toecheese
08-13-15, 11:10
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/49-EsAoN_zpsczyaiukh.gif

I figured..........:cool:

.46caliber
09-05-15, 20:36
We've been talking about this pistol at length on the Walther Forum. Some have even gotten to shoot factory demos. Reports indicate the increased size is negligible. People don't spot it right away when it's laying on a table amid the 9s and 40s.

The Walther rep has indicated that there has been a large volume of M1 requests and seemed to hint that it's on the docket.

Helix12
09-06-15, 17:26
I just bought a PPQ in July which has the paddle release. I much prefer it over the button. But, according to some info I saw from Walther, the button release is outselling the paddle by about 10 to 1. Just bought a P99c last week which also has the paddle release.

I'm new to Walther handguns and reading about them, but it doesn't seem like Walther is ready to kill the paddle release in the U.S. just yet. Maybe sometime, but not just yet.

The previous two sentences were written with a good deal of hope thrown in.

.46caliber
09-06-15, 18:53
It might be 10 to 1 now since the M1 version isn't regularly shipped here. They've been hit or miss to find as of late.

I definitely want the PPQ in 45, but I won't open the wallet till its shipping with paddles.

Mjolnir
09-07-15, 21:30

Agreed.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Slater
09-07-15, 21:55
Rumor has it that the PPX line will be discontinued (after only two years). Not sure how accurate that is, but the gun has been removed from Carl Walther's German website.

Firefly
09-07-15, 22:45
Meh. I'll stick to a Glock 21.

However I love the 9mm PPQ.

Charlie Don't Surf
09-08-15, 11:48
Meh. I'll stick to a Glock 21.

However I love the 9mm PPQ.

By that rationale, why wouldn't you stay with a G19 as well?

brickboy240
09-08-15, 11:57
Walther,

Please pick one mag release and one magazine for the 45 PPQ and stick with it.

ralph
09-08-15, 13:14
Walther...They lost my business with the PPQ M1/M2 business, I learned my lesson with them.

brickboy240
09-08-15, 14:12
Ok so a few people here want the paddle mag release. I would bet that the majority of the public that would consider buying a 45 caliber PPQ do NOT want that.

HK is really the only other popular pistol maker that offers this style of mag release. All other popular brands are push button. Deal with it. The rest of us run them without complaint.

If the 45 PPQ has the ergonomics anywhere near what the 9mm PPQ has, it stands the chance of being a winner IF they do not screw up the roll out with 2 types of mag releases and mags that don't work in both.

Walther...please don't screw this up.

Charlie Don't Surf
09-08-15, 15:22
I never understood why Walther cannot make a magazine that would work with both releases.

ralph
09-08-15, 16:53
Ok so a few people here want the paddle mag release. I would bet that the majority of the public that would consider buying a 45 caliber PPQ do NOT want that.

HK is really the only other popular pistol maker that offers this style of mag release. All other popular brands are push button. Deal with it. The rest of us run them without complaint.

If the 45 PPQ has the ergonomics anywhere near what the 9mm PPQ has, it stands the chance of being a winner IF they do not screw up the roll out with 2 types of mag releases and mags that don't work in both.

Walther...please don't screw this up.

Yeah, well, a lot of us that had a M1, remember what it was like when Walther came out with the M2, and in the same breath tells everybody that that was what the U.S. was getting from now on.. It kinda left a bad taste in your mouth, as at the time, you didn't know if you'd be able to get mags in the future or not. People don't forget things like that.. Then they change their mind about 3 weeks later.. I guess listening to the bubble-gum chewers over at the Walther forums really wasn't a good business model after all. Frankly, If I want a striker-fired .45, I'll wait until HK comes out with one, No drama and it'll likely work, and have compatible mags with one of Hk's other .45's... Like it or not, Walther's screw up with the M1/M2 cost them the trust of a lot of their customers, myself included. At this point, you couldn't give me a PPQ.45...

Kain
09-08-15, 17:00
I never understood why Walther cannot make a magazine that would work with both releases.

This has been my thought as well. I have not handled either the M1 or M2 in detail other than at shows and the store. But it would have been my first thought when Walther began to want to change the release. "We want the same gun with a button release, lets mod the current mag so it can be used with both!" Maybe I am just using too damn much common sense.

SpookyEng
09-08-15, 17:31
I'll take a 45, to go with my 9mm PPQ M2, I love that pistol and I would really like a 45 version, especially if the size increase is negligible.

.46caliber
09-08-15, 17:36
I'll take a 45, to go with my 9mm PPQ M2, I love that pistol and I would really like a 45 version, especially if the size increase is negligible.

Every report I've seen from those that have gotten hands on have indicated such.

Charlie Don't Surf
09-08-15, 17:36
This has been my thought as well. I have not handled either the M1 or M2 in detail other than at shows and the store. But it would have been my first thought when Walther began to want to change the release. "We want the same gun with a button release, lets mod the current mag so it can be used with both!" Maybe I am just using too damn much common sense.

My brother in-law has the M2, I have the M1. It wouldn't be difficult to have both magazine catches on a "universal" PPQ mag.

brickboy240
09-09-15, 11:43
I also don't get why Walther cannot make a mag that works on both M1 and M2 PPQs. Does not make sense.

Other than the mag silliness...hasn't the M2 PPQ been a pretty good pistol? I really don't see many complaints around here about jamming, inaccuracy or brass to the face.

From what I can find...after the mag bally-hoo...the PPQ M2 seems to be a solid performer with very few problems if any at all.

w3453l
09-09-15, 11:57
I also don't get why Walther cannot make a mag that works on both M1 and M2 PPQs. Does not make sense.

Other than the mag silliness...hasn't the M2 PPQ been a pretty good pistol? I really don't see many complaints around here about jamming, inaccuracy or brass to the face.

From what I can find...after the mag bally-hoo...the PPQ M2 seems to be a solid performer with very few problems if any at all.

The only real complaint I heard about the M2 from more than one user was the button mag release. Not that it wasn't a paddle, but that the spring in the mag release was not stiff enough; making it easy to accidentally release the magazine.

I had an M2; when I handled the gun the mag release felt perfect to me. The location was in just the right spot that I didn't have to adjust my grip to release the magazine. But with actual use I soon started experiencing accidental mag releasing. I ended up switching to the M1 for that very reason, and had no regrets. I much preferred the paddle to the button release right after trying it out.

brickboy240
09-09-15, 12:45
Oh wow...I had never heard that complaint. That is definitely a serious problem if this happens while defending oneself!

Since my autos are mostly Glocks and SIGs and a few 1911s...I am used to button mags releases but really..it does not seem all that hard to transition to the lever.

I have borrowed a few USPs and never felt that the release would be a deal killer if I owned one.

So I guess where Walther really screwed up was offering two releases so close together, then making two different mags. It is really sad because with the PPQs I have handled, they seemed really nice and Walther cam so close.

I still have not decided if I am going to get a 9mm PPQ or VP-9 and I made the mistake of handling a P320 last week which complicated things worse.

maybe the widening field of choices for a striker 9mm IS a good thing? I dunno! LOL

Charlie Don't Surf
09-11-15, 18:41
The only real complaint I heard about the M2 from more than one user was the button mag release. Not that it wasn't a paddle, but that the spring in the mag release was not stiff enough; making it easy to accidentally release the magazine.

I had an M2; when I handled the gun the mag release felt perfect to me. The location was in just the right spot that I didn't have to adjust my grip to release the magazine. But with actual use I soon started experiencing accidental mag releasing. I ended up switching to the M1 for that very reason, and had no regrets. I much preferred the paddle to the button release right after trying it out.

There is a long thread on the Walther forums about that issue, looks like they've found an aftermarket fix if you have that problem. http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/36232-unintentional-magazine-release-ppq-m-2-a-61.html#post430760

BuzzinSATX
07-06-16, 10:51
I had enough Cabelas rewards points to take advantage of their PPQ sale last week and walked out of the store with a PPQ M2 .45. Finally got to the range yesterday and WOW! What a shooter!

I am primarily a Glock owner, but have other handguns of various makes and models, and I shoot most okay, but this gun makes me look like I can really shoot!

The range I was at was all steel targets from 10-25 yards, a variety of shapes and sizes. I can typically hit the 6" plates offhand 6-7 out of 10 shots with my Glocks, Shield, Sigs, or XDm's. The only pistol I've ever been able to consistently put 10 for 10 on those plates up to now is my Ruger 22-45. But I did it twice yesterday with the PPQ shooting Freedom Munitions Blaster ammo (their cheapest reman stuff)! It was crazy...

People talk about the trigger...and I'll agree. It is a very nice trigger, albeit lighter than I might want to use in a carry gun. But with more range time on the gun, I'll likely change my mind.

And my perception of the felt recoil was that this gun had about the same amount of recoil as my G17. It was, to me, a very soft shooter, even when I ran a couple magazines of Winchester Rangers through it. Very controllable and fun to shoot!

YMMV, but I now have some like new G21 mags I can get rid of as my plans to add one to my safe has gone up in a cloud of PPQ induced .45ACP smoke.

Take Care,

Buzz

dangrullon87
07-06-16, 12:36
My FNP45 holds 16 (1 in the chamber) on a dual stack magazine.