PDA

View Full Version : Precision rifle options

kmoc
07-24-08, 00:22
Looking to get a precision rifle and would like some thoughs about the following rifles:

Robar SR60
GA Precision Crusader
FN PSR III
HS Precision HTR

Anybody own any of these rifles or had any exprence with any of them?
Thanks for any info.

GONIF
07-31-08, 17:16
I have a Rem 700P,and had a Sako trg22(had to sell it 4 years ago ,wish I still had it ) so I can't help you on the rifles you are thinking about. but I was just curious why you don't include the Sako trg 22 in your choices.

JBRIII
08-01-08, 15:41
GAP all the way!!! I have an AR-10 on the way and have shot a Rock and a Crusader. They shoot way better than I can believe me and I was getting 1/2 MOA all day long.

Face_N_The_Crowd
08-01-08, 23:57
GAP bolt guns are consistant across the board - you'll be very happy.

Patriot Arms and Terry Cross should be added to the list.

PRGGodfather
08-02-08, 00:32
+1 for anything GAP

TurretGunner
08-07-08, 11:25
For the Money, you arent going to touch the FN SPR's. For the middle ground a GAP or a Terry Cross are some of the best custom rifles built. At the Top you have AI, Sako TRG, and the Tubb Rifles

casio02478
08-08-08, 21:32
I go with the HTR, it is tested, certified, and fielded by the FBI.

GHL
08-10-08, 02:46
For the Money, you arent going to touch the FN SPR's. For the middle ground a GAP or a Terry Cross are some of the best custom rifles built. At the Top you have AI, Sako TRG, and the Tubb Rifles

I agree the listed "top" rifles are great guns, but I'd put a GAP up against most of them. Their barrel work is second to none, and that is going to be the major component in accuracy (as I'm sure you know). I've shot AIs and Sakos side by side with GAPs and get better overall results with the GAP rifles. I'd attribute this primarily to barrels; I've shot both AIs and Sakos rebarreled by GAP and they shot on par with any GAP custom I've shot.

Damascus
08-11-08, 15:10
I go with the HTR, it is tested, certified, and fielded by the FBI.

+1. A friend of mine who competes in F class T/R has one, and it's not a tack-driver, it's a pin-pusher!. When it's on our bench, on a calm day, using our 168gr. SMK handloads, it consistently shoots .15" 5 shot groups - that's accurate.
I've owned an FN SPR in the past, and it was a great rifle. I loved the factory McMillan stock, and the Winchester M70 pre-64 action is probably one of the best ever designed. It is also well worth the money, and is one of the best "bang for your buck" precision rifles on the market.
As far as the GA Precision Crusader rifle goes, no doubt it'll be accurate - but if it were my money - I think I could better spend $3500... you can probably find a good deal on an H-S rifle for $2500 - $2800 and use the leftover money to invest in a scope to match the rifle (Kahles, Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski, or high-end Leupold). Or, you could even take the money for the GAP and have a rifle custom built for you, and it should even be more accurate than the GAP (even thought it's considered a "custom" rifle, it's still generalized), as it can be "personalized" just for you (ie: perfect L.O.P., weight, bbl length, etc). Just my 2 cents.

Cold Zero
08-11-08, 17:35
You can't go wrong with a GA Precision. Good value for the money too.

JaxCatm
08-16-08, 01:15
I can only speak for the FN SPR. It is a very nice rifle for the money. The McMillan stock is great and the action is smooth. For a factory gun it was bedded properly from the start. If I do my part it gets the job done and then some. I've used it for everything from precision rifle matches to hunting and it has performed each and every time out. One word of caution it has a 4.5lb trigger. The only saving grace is every little bit of it is used for breaking sear engagment not travel. So with a bit of work you can learn and overcome the trigger. A word of advice invest in good optic no matter what you purchase. The Leupold Mk4 has very nice glass but does not track 100% of the time. A nightforce on the other hand has very nice glass and will track each and every adjustment. When it really counts my vote goes to the Nightforce.