PDA

View Full Version : Goverment Contract 9mm ammo preformance and quality

ace4059
08-10-15, 20:42
I am looking for 50rd boxes of SD or HD loads specifically in 9mm. Locally the shops only sell 20rd to 25rd boxes of the premium HP ammo and it runs $1.50/rd. I was looking online and see some premium ammo in 50 rd boxes for less than the 20 or 25 round boxes.

One that I see is government contract in 50 rds for $18-$20 and its labeled as 9MS, XM9001, or 9BPLE. How well does that ammo perform compared to the 50rd boxes of Gold Dot which is only a few more dollars a box.

I am mainly wanting to know the quality and performance of the .gov ammo. I didnt know if it was a cheap HP that lacks performance. I am also open to any other recommendations for cheaper priced (less than $20-$24/box) HP ammo?

Thanks.

Kain
08-10-15, 21:12
First point, the stuff you listed, Hi shok, +P+ 115gr stuff, I consider to be junk, and have not been impressed in the performance in my personal informal testing or others. Especially when compared to Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, and a few others. Basically when I go shopping for my defensive ammo I go look to see what Dr Robert's has tested and approved and start from there.

That said, can you sometimes find deals on decent 9mm JHP? Yes. I was buying 9mm Winchester Ranger 147gr Bonded JHP, overrun stuff, for like $17 a box a couple years back. Was buying the shit out of it because it was cheaper than the $30 a box of ball following SH. I have not seen the ammo down below .50 a round since though and there have been reports of hard primers and it not igniting by some so maybe it wasn't a great deal. Last time I ordered for SG Ammo I think Gold Dot and HST in the 124gr, and 147 were in the $25 a box of 50, plus or minus a few dollars. Not bad, and I always look at things like this, how much is your life worth? Seriously. Ammo is cheap and when buying by a 500 round case, what is another $30-50 in the long run over a round that is one or two, or even three generations old?

ST911
08-10-15, 21:35
I am looking for 50rd boxes of SD or HD loads specifically in 9mm. Locally the shops only sell 20rd to 25rd boxes of the premium HP ammo and it runs $1.50/rd. I was looking online and see some premium ammo in 50 rd boxes for less than the 20 or 25 round boxes.

One that I see is government contract in 50 rds for $18-$20 and its labeled as 9MS, XM9001, or 9BPLE. How well does that ammo perform compared to the 50rd boxes of Gold Dot which is only a few more dollars a box.

I am mainly wanting to know the quality and performance of the .gov ammo. I didnt know if it was a cheap HP that lacks performance. I am also open to any other recommendations for cheaper priced (less than $20-$24/box) HP ammo?

Thanks.

The skus you list are variants of the Federal Hi-Shok, older technology and best left for training, practice, and contingency ammo. They do not perform to the standards expected of defensive ammunition today. Pay what a GTG load costs.

MegademiC
08-11-15, 09:46
I just got some 147gr ranger t for 25 or 27 dollars per 50rds a couple weeks ago. It's definately worth it over the old technology based on testing and user reports. $1/Rd is way too much, and what I finger locally, or more. I buy online. I don't mind paying a little extra local, but double, no.

Kain
08-11-15, 20:52
I just got some 147gr ranger t for 25 or 27 dollars per 50rds a couple weeks ago. It's definately worth it over the old technology based on testing and user reports. $1/Rd is way too much, and what I finger locally, or more. I buy online. I don't mind paying a little extra local, but double, no.

Where you find Ranger T for sub $30 a box? I need more like I need a hole in the end, but I will admit it had become one of my favored HD loads.

ace4059
08-11-15, 22:13
Thanks guys for the info.
I did search about this round and some people said its what was carried my LEO in the 90's. Other reviews didnt seem that great. Hints why I asked here. I knew some of you have probably tried it.
I was looking at this for my 33 rds glock mags that are in the dresser drawer. I carry premium 115 gr SD ammo in the 17 rds mags but currently only have cheap 147gr HP in the two 33 rounders. This would not be my main carry ammo and it would be the backup to the backup mags, so chance of it ever being used is slim. I figured this would be an upgrade but I will get some gold dot +P since it is only $5 more per 50/rd box.

Thanks again

MegademiC
08-12-15, 22:05
Where you find Ranger T for sub $30 a box? I need more like I need a hole in the end, but I will admit it had become one of my favored HD loads.

I'll have to find it, I forget. I was looking for hst, and came across this and snatched it up. I'll pm you if/when I find the site.