PDA

View Full Version : Panama lifts gun import ban

WillBrink
08-12-15, 09:41
As some of you may recall, I have a place in Panama and visit regularly. Panama is not anti gun like other countries in the region are. If you're a legal resident, a license can be had. It's a PITA, but they are above say NYC or DC (where it's essentially impossible to get one unless your rich or tapped in) in that once you jump through the hoops, it can be done. There's not the selection you'd see in the US and what's there is expensive, but a decent pistol (Glock) and a shot gun and such can be had. No "military" style rifles for civilians I recall. This is a good trend for Panama.

Per usual, only criminals don't bother going through hoops and have guns. Panama is generally a low crime country.

Panama Lifts Gun Import Ban
By G Bernard Ray on August 7, 2015 Politics

As Panama deals with rising crimes rates, increased gang activity, and forged gun permits, the government is about to lift the ban of imported firearms. The Public Safety Minister Rudolfo Aguilera said this is an effort to increase personal safety, and that more firearms will mean less crime.

“We will follow in the footsteps of the United States and Switzerland, where the right to bear arms is believed to lead to fewer homicides. Everything seems to indicate that there is no direct correlation in the aphorism that says more guns mean more crime,” said Aguilera, who explained that relaxed gun laws have helped the United States to reduce the homicide rate over the last 20 years. He added that the new regulations will include criminal and psychological background checks for future gun owners. “I have concluded that it is necessary and appropriate for the country to allow imports of weapons again,” said Aguilera in an interview with NexTV News.

His decision was made based on foreign statistics showing that with a greater number of legal firearms possession, there is less crime recorded. Aguilera also said that this leaves the job of the personal security in the hands of civilians, politicians, lawyers, and security experts,

The current law has been in effect since 2012 and states that only state security forces can import firearms. Easing this restriction would enable licensed vendors to import firearms and accessories.

The Central American Integration System (SICA) has called for a comprehensive review of Panama’s firearm-import program before any official action can be taken by the National Assembly.

“It’s a decision for each sovereign government to make, but we should take into account that for criminals, anything that is prohibited, becomes more attractive,” said Hefer Morataya, director of SICA’s Central American Program of Small Arms Control.

However, not everyone agrees that more guns will benefits Panama. Teresita de Arias, former congresswoman and leader of the People’s Party said that lifting the ban on gun imports could backfire on the Panamanian people.

“The issue of security will not be solved because every citizen has a weapon to defend themselves.” She believes that Aguilera’s comment about the U. S. homicide rates differ from reality, adding that the United States itself struggles with the issue of gun control. She added that this action could lead to situations where a simple fight in the street could result in both parties taking out a gun. There is also the threat of increased theft of firearms, which will only serve to put more guns in the hands of criminals.

According to the Ministry of Security, in the first three months of 2015, Panama registered 165 homicides, 70% of which were committed with a firearm.

“There is no registry of the firearms that come in, much less, exact data of how many there are,” said Security Vice-Minister Rogelio Donadio. “Illegal weapons trafficking does not generate as much profit as drugs, but it does threaten citizen security.”

Rolando Mirones, former director of the National Police, stated that resuming the importation of firearms will do nothing to solve the problem of security in the country. The main problem facing the government right now on the issue of security is not solved by allowing importation but to implement measures for more effective crime prevention techniques.

In 2012, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimated that there was an average of 700,000 illegal firearms circulating through Panama’s streets.

Todd00000
08-12-15, 10:31
Well Panama just became a very close second to CR for me. We've talked about this before, and as I get closer to retirement I'm doing more research.

Did you use a lawyer to get through the hoops?

WillBrink
08-12-15, 10:36
Well Panama just became a very close second to CR for me. We've talked about this before, and as I get closer to retirement I'm doing more research.

Did you use a lawyer to get through the hoops?

I'm not a resident so no license for me. I do know some ex pats and Panamanians with licenses. Like everything in Panama, the process is slow I'm told but will result in a license.

brickboy240
08-12-15, 10:46
Is the cost of living in Panama less than the states? Real estate? Food? Taxes? Medical?

I know a few that researched Costa Rica heavily and found that real estate was high because rich Americans have gone in and bought up much of it and pushed prices higher. from what I heard about Costa Rica...that ship sailed about 10 years ago.

WillBrink
08-12-15, 10:56
Is the cost of living in Panama less than the states? Real estate? Food? Taxes? Medical?

Yes, depending on where you purchase and other factors, but the 'net costs are going to be lower. Prices are going up however. There's also the intangibles you can't put a price tag on. Like the weekend I spent on Isla Grande on my last trip about 90 mins outside the city:

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/library/Isla%20Grande%202015?sort=3&page=1

I know a few that researched Costa Rica heavily and found that real estate was high because rich Americans have gone in and bought up much of it and pushed prices higher. from what I heard about Costa Rica...that ship sailed about 10 years ago.

Yes, CR is no longer on many people's radar "in the know" in the region. That's not as much just due to costs going up per se, but other factors such as lack of investment in infrastructure, increased crime rates, etc. People in the states are usually 5-10 years behind the trends.

WillBrink
08-12-15, 10:56

Yes, depending on where you purchase and other factors, but the 'net costs are going to be lower. Prices are going up however. There's also the intangibles you can't put a price tag on. Like the weekend I spent on Isla Grande on my last trip about 90 mins outside the city:

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/library/Isla%20Grande%202015?sort=3&page=1

Yes, CR is no longer on many people's radar "in the know" in the region. That's not as much just due to costs going up per se, but other factors such as lack of investment in infrastructure, increased crime rates, etc. People in the states are usually 5-10 years behind the trends.

brickboy240
08-12-15, 11:06
The gun issue is always a problem when you start researching other countries to retire in. Being used to Texas laws (which are pretty loose) I am not going to be cool with registering anything or tons of restrictions.

I can put up with the heat and other issues but the gun ownership issue keeps me away from wanting to retire in most other places.

That and the fact that in many of these places, they really do not like gringos and there would be a huge adjustment to living somewhere that the majority of folks don't want you there.

Panama is beautiful and seems much more developed than Costa Rica, Ecuador or other places that Americans are looking to, for escaping the USA in retirement years.

At some point, we might all be seriously looking for another country to retire in...who knows?

WillBrink
08-12-15, 11:22
The gun issue is always a problem when you start researching other countries to retire in. Being used to Texas laws (which are pretty loose) I am not going to be cool with registering anything or tons of restrictions.

I'm planning to head to FL soon as it's as close to best of both worlds I can get: close to Panama for trips, better weather and far better gun law than MA. Obviously, of gun ownership is a key aspect of decision making, than one will note a difference if they leave the US. There's a lot of ex mil in Panama.

I can put up with the heat and other issues but the gun ownership issue keeps me away from wanting to retire in most other places.

That and the fact that in many of these places, they really do not like gringos and there would be a huge adjustment to living somewhere that the majority of folks don't want you there.

Panama is beautiful and seems much more developed than Costa Rica, Ecuador or other places that Americans are looking to, for escaping the USA in retirement years.

At some point, we might all be seriously looking for another country to retire in...who knows?

Everyone should live outside the US at least once in their lives. It gives you a very different perspective of the world and the US.

brickboy240
08-12-15, 11:40
I have traveled outside the US many times, as I have family that lives in Sweden. Yes...it will change your perspective on the USA and the rest of the world.

(people in America have a view of Sweden and Scandinavia that dates to about 1985...NOT 2015! LOL)

Florida ought to seem super cheap, compared to MA. You can buy twice the house there...or here in TX for that matter.

WillBrink
08-12-15, 11:46
I have traveled outside the US many times, as I have family that lives in Sweden. Yes...it will change your perspective on the USA and the rest of the world.

(people in America have a view of Sweden and Scandinavia that dates to about 1985...NOT 2015! LOL)

Truth. 'Mericans have a view of Colombia from about 1990 when it's a very different country and a great place to visit and vacation.

Florida ought to seem super cheap, compared to MA. You can buy twice the house there...or here in TX for that matter.

And no state taxes, etc. I should have made that move a long time ago no doubt.

Todd00000
08-12-15, 11:56
Yeah, CR is more expensive for nice property, but like everything it's about location and what lifestyle you want. I'm going to look at Panama and San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua too. I plan on renting and having a mobile lifestyle.

Firefly
08-12-15, 13:36
Having been outside the US, I can say that it made me appreciate America more. We block out the US flag...it's almost background noise, but seeing it for the first time after a while produces such an overwhelming emotion. Like.."I'm home."

No matter how bad it gets, I'm never leaving. There are former Commonwealth countries I could adapt to like Canada or NZ but otherwise, no. Here is where I stay.

On topic, it is good to see the US used as a good example of gun rights and hopefully more nations follow suit. No tyrant ever prospered in a land where free men bear arms

brickboy240
08-13-15, 12:35
Another thing you will gain an appreciation for if you leave America and travel to places like Asia or Central or South America - how good the poor have it in America.

Unless you have been to those regions (or India for that matter) you have no idea what poor really is!

The left loves to moan on about how bad the poor in America have it...you have GOT to be joking. Check out how the poor live in other parts of the world (and take note of their numbers versus those with money) then get back to me...ok?

The "poor" in South America, India or the Far East do NOT have television, running water, cable tv or a cell phone. Let alone a car or a/c.

The poor in the USA are not really that poor when you get down to it. This is why I laugh when the leftist class warriors start to moan about income inequality or economic justice.

...give me a break.