PDA

View Full Version : Update- What The Wolf Pup Taught Me and Other Musings

MistWolf
08-13-15, 19:44
In the beginning, there was the Wolf Pup- and it was good. Or so the Big Bad Wolf thought...
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfCub008_zpsfa095b46.jpg

As you learn, so you evolve and as shooters evolve so do their ARs. It's been a year since I built the AR shortie I dubbed the "Wolf Pup" and it has not been idle. I don't know how many hundreds of rounds I've put through it but it's been quite a few. There have been teething problems, I've gotten an education and the Wolf Pup has had a few changes along the way. It was built around an Odin Works 10.5 inch stainless steel barrel, an unknown brand BCG, STS stripped lower built up with a standard LPK & standard FCG from another AR. Finally, the controversial Sig Arm Brace- all before the BATF whacked it with the shoulder ban hammer.

GAS BLOCKS and GAS PORTS
The first buffer tried was the standard carbine buffer. With the .082" port, the carrier was hitting and resetting the hammer hard enough to sting the trigger ginger through the trigger bow. I don't a little sting, I mean a "HOLY ----, THAT HURT!" A heavier buffer went a long way to taming the beast, but it was obvious more needed to be done. First, I swapped the pistol RE for a rifle RE. (I wanted to use an A5, but there was no way to fit the Sig brace to the A5.) The heavier rifle buffer and rifle length spring helped smooth out the recoil, but I knew it could be better.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/RE002_zps41b32d71.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/RE005_zpsdc5ab440.jpg

I took a job in Pennsylvania for the summer and while there, I met Cory and we became good friends. He builds some very nice ARs to order and hooked me up with some good parts. One of them was an SLR adjustable gas block.

With the new LR opened all the way, there was some short stroking. The gas block that came with the barrel worked fine so I figured it had to be the new part. I was wrong. Turns out that the shoulder of the barrel was too far forward and both blocks were covering part of the gas port. I was luckey either gas block worked at all. After giving the problem some thought, I trimmed the SLR to fit the barrel.

LESSON 1) Look at a problem from ALL angles. Because I didn't take time to verify what dimension were out of spec, it doubled the time it took to discover what the problem really was. I thought it was the new SLR. Instead, it was the barrel

LESSON 2) Verify parts align as they should. Checking to see if the port on the barrel & block would have saved me a lot of time and ammo

Once we had the SLR fitted to the barrel, it was off to the range for testing. Grant mentioned in his Best Suppressed SBR Ever???? thread that he was able to find a gas port diameter that let his AR eject without locking back on his unsuppressed shorty. I figured if he could do it by gradually stepping up the gas port diameter, I could easily do it with with the SLR.

No joy. With the standard BCG (remember I mentioned it was an unknown brand BCG? Keep that in mind.) the best I could do was full ejection and the bolt locked back, or the empty would not eject and I'd get a bolt over, jamming an empty and a fresh round from the mag into the action. Classic signs of short stroking. Or so I thought.

Let's take another look at the problem. At first glance, it appears that this problem is due to the bolt not coming to the rear enough to let the empty eject but just enough to catch the body of the next round and shove it out of the magazine. That was my thought, anyway. Of course, it could also happen if the extractor wasn't holding the rim very well, but I figured that would leave the empty in the chamber.

Bottom line- I could not replicate a bolt over coupled with a failure to eject with a good extractor and a good ejector. While testing the SLR adjustments with an LMT enhanced carrier, I discovered the bolt from the unknown brand BCG had gone flat. I swapped it out for a bolt known to be good and the problems with the bolt overs went away. Now, the AR could be adjusted so the empty would eject and not lock back. One click closed simply meant the action short stroked and simply partially extracted the case then shoved it back into the chamber without picking up the next round from the mag

LESSSON 3) If you have a failure to eject and the bolt attempts to strip the next round from the mag, jamming both into the action, you have a problem either with the extractor or the ejector

LESSON 4) Be wary of unknown brand BCGs

LESSON 5) Do not assume you know what the problem is. Verify your troubleshooting before proceeding with a fix

The bad extractor spring skewed my testing of a standard carrier compared to an LMT enhanced carrier. At first, I could not adjust the gas so that the standard carrier would reliably eject without locking back. Once I installed a bolt with a good ejector in the standard carrier, ejection without locking back was achievable. The difference is that with the lot of ammo used for the test, the LMT carrier required that the SLR be closed one more click for the same.

The reason for tuning the Wolf Pup to eject without locking back is to find the very least amount of gas needed for the system to run reliably. Once that point was found, opening the SLR just one more click allowed it to lock back, Cycle speed feels slow at this setting. Opening it another click gave a little sharper recoil- just a little- and faster cycling.

LESSON 6) Check the condition of everything before beginning testing. Just one small detail can throw off your findings and ruin your work

When I started on this project, I thought my problems with an empty case and a round from the mag being jammed into the chamber were due to short stroking from using weak ammo/improperly adjusted gas block, or because the lubed dried out. Opeing the gas block, adding lube and switching to full power ammo made the problem go away. Mis-diagnosing the problem just made fixing it that much harder, wasting time and ammo. The upside is, I learned something from the experience and hopefully others will learn from it too.

Further testing of the two carriers will be done when I can get my mitts on a suppressor

NEXT: MAGPUL- MOE vs SLIMLINE

MistWolf
08-13-15, 21:10
I had originally intended for the Wolf Pup to wear a carbon fiber free float tube. Free float tube for better consistency and carbon fiber because in the places I live it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. However, the choice boiled down to either a shootable AR or staring at a pile of parts for the next six months while waiting until I had enough scratch for the awesome cool handguards. MagPul MOE carbine handguards it was.

If anyone asks "Who would use snap in handguards with a low profile gas block?" you now know the answer- The Big Bad Wolf.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfCub009_zps9458ded5.jpg

Yes, I did run my weapon light on the flat top just ahead of the Aimpoint. You gotta have a light for target ID and the Wolf Pup was built for House Defense among other duties. It was a bit awkward to manipulate in that position, but it still threw a good beam.

The MOEs are good handguards and I find them comfortable to use. They fit my hand much better than the round handguards and are longer. But when the Slimlines came out, I noticed they are longer still. I admit I was a bit worried about how they'd look but finally decided it didn't matter if they made my butt look big because my belly makes everything on me look smaller. I bought a set.

So far, the Slimline handguards have been the most difficult, pain in the butt and stubborn handguards I have ever had the (dis)pleasure to install. The fit is tighter than a pair of hipster's skinny jeans and they have to go together just so

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/HG005_zps1c4ceae5.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/HG006_zps540282bc.jpg

Once you get the front of the Slimlines, you know have to fight to pull the Delta ring far enough to slip over the rear lip. I finally filed a small ramp to help with installation
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/HG007_zps074093d9.jpg

Once in place, they do not rattle, shift or shimmy. They fit like they are a part of the AR. They weren't just tight on my AR. I installed a set on my shooting partner's AR and they were just as difficult
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Liberty/NF001_zpshlwkyo1x.jpg

If you're wondering how the sling is attached to the handguard, here's a spy photo-
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/HG004_zps4f3f734c.jpg

FINALLY!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/HG001_zpsda4c8843.jpg

As comfortable as I find the MagPul MOE handguards, the new Slimlines are even more so. They weigh less than an ounce more, yet give the shooter more usable area to grip. They are no less rigid. The only downside is that they are a pain to install and will not fit on a triangle handguard cap. I like them very much and think they look awesome. As well as the Wolf Pup shoots with the Slimline, delivering between 1 and 2 MOA at 200 yards (depending on ammo) how good it feels and handles and how cool it looks, my plans to upgrade to a carbon fiber free float tube have been put off indefinitely

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WP003_zpsp8ulxdeg.jpg

Swapping out the A2 grip for the Magpul K2 has also provided a step up in comfort and handling

MistWolf
08-13-15, 23:27
I'm comfortable with the rugged reliability and battery life of the Aimpoint and am comfortable running it on the Wolf Pup with no back up sights. I also like the uncluttered field of view I have without the front sight base. I know not everyone is comfortable running an AR without BUIS nor will I try to convince anyone to do so. But in all the years I've been shooting in all types of hunting conditions, I have never seen a quality optic fail. Lower quality optics, yes and in a couple of cases, spectacularly.

After three years running the Aimpoint Micro in snow, rain and hot deserts, I am impressed. It gets the Wolf Seal of Approval.

Big deal, right?

hotrodder636
08-14-15, 00:14
Nice post, I like the discussion of the evolution of the gun.
I have been very fortunate with the performance of my home assemblies in that I haven't (knock on wood) had the teething issues I hear/read that many folks have with short barrel setups.

BufordTJustice
08-14-15, 07:46
Excellent post, Mist!!!

Junkie
08-14-15, 09:59
I'm really tempted to build a KISS AR, probably with the SL handguard, but need to find the right deal on a 14.7" midlength pencil barrel or upper first.

MistWolf
08-14-15, 11:19
Kissing Cousins

KISS is the way to go in my opinion. The Wolf Pup has generated quite a bit of interest where ever we go. During the last two shooting trips, we ran into other guys with some very nice ARs. Each time I hand them the Wolf Pup, the first thing they comment on is weight. "Wow!", they say "It's light." It surprises me because the Sig brace is heavy compared to a CTR or MOE. But many of the AR configurations include long quad rail handguards, heavier buttstocks AFGs and sometimes heavier profile barrels. Another shooting buddy of mine has a 16 incher that definitely needs to go on a diet.

Jut give in to that temptation and build a simple, basic AR. You'll be happy you did.

I'll dig out the scale later & weigh the Wolf Pup. I don't remember how much it weighs

Gimme a Brake!

The Wolf Pup originally started with an A2 birdcage. Concussion was a bit more than it was from the 16 inch AR but not uncomfortable for the shooter. Muzzle blast wasn't noticeable unless the light was dim, like at an indoor range or the dark side of twilight. Not willing to leave well enough alone, I swapped out the A2 for the Battlecomp.

The difference made itself apparent from the first shot. Recoil was quicker and not as sharp and the red dot didn't move off the target as much during recoil. However, muzzle flash was visible even during lightly overcast daylight and the concussion brutal. The Battlecomp has been tried on 20 inch and 16 inch barrels with no comments from my shooting partners. On the shorter Wolf Pup, they've regularly been commenting on blast and flash accompanied with dirty looks.

I had the privilege to shoot with a well known trainer during an out of state trip to visit a friend. The trainer told me "You are a guest on my range, but I'd like to point out that muzzle brakes would not be allowed in a class." He's right. With the BC in place, the Wolf Pup is brutal for other shooters to be around. Time to put the A2 back on

Junkie
08-14-15, 11:42
An A2 FSB and Magpul carbine length handguards are significantly heavier than a MI SS Gen2 12" handguard, lopro gas block, MBUS front. Then again, a fair amount of that is the FSB and you're running a lopro block instead.

Clint
08-14-15, 14:58
Gimme a Brake!

The Wolf Pup originally started with an A2 birdcage. Concussion was a bit more than it was from the 16 inch AR but not uncomfortable for the shooter. Muzzle blast wasn't noticeable unless the light was dim, like at an indoor range or the dark side of twilight. Not willing to leave well enough alone, I swapped out the A2 for the Battlecomp.

The difference made itself apparent from the first shot. Recoil was quicker and not as sharp and the red dot didn't move off the target as much during recoil. However, muzzle flash was visible even during lightly overcast daylight and the concussion brutal. The Battlecomp has been tried on 20 inch and 16 inch barrels with no comments from my shooting partners. On the shorter Wolf Pup, they've regularly been commenting on blast and flash accompanied with dirty looks.

I had the privilege to shoot with a well known trainer during an out of state trip to visit a friend. The trainer told me "You are a guest on my range, but I'd like to point out that muzzle brakes would not be allowed in a class." He's right. With the BC in place, the Wolf Pup is brutal for other shooters to be around. Time to put the A2 back on

Wolfpup needs a Covert Comp to tame that blast.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.ecwid.com/images/812059/294588149.jpg

Slvr Surfr
08-14-15, 19:55
Nice write up Mist! I'll be using some of this info with my 10.5".

MistWolf
08-14-15, 23:03
Wolfpup needs a Covert Comp to tame that blast.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.ecwid.com/images/812059/294588149.jpg

How much does one of those weigh?

Will it mount a suppressor designed to fit an A2? (Just wondering- I'm giving serious thought to a direct mount suppressor when I can swing one)

Bryan84
08-15-15, 01:12
Great stuff!

Junkie
08-15-15, 10:56
How much does one of those weigh?

Will it mount a suppressor designed to fit an A2? (Just wondering- I'm giving serious thought to a direct mount suppressor when I can swing one)If you look at their web site they say "Weighs only 2.2 oz, the same as the A2 flash hider" and "Compatible with the GEMTECH HALO suppressor."

MistWolf
08-15-15, 13:17
Thanks. I'm gonna go check that out