PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a SF 6P to LED, but not the typical question

SocomShooter
08-13-15, 21:23
I have a Surefire 6P kicking around that I'm finally going to set up as a weapon light. I want to switch the tail cap over, which is easy. I also want to convert it to LED, but have a question that doesn't seem to be the norm.

I've done a lot of research, but my question is mostly glanced over. Most people want lumens, which is understandable. The brighter the better, and Malkoff seems to be the industry standard in terms of a drop-in unit. But the run time seems dismal to me--less than 2hrs. I'm looking for a drop-in LED head that offers more run time than lumens, and seem to be coming up short in my searches. From what I've found, the (discontinued) Surefire P60L seems to be the best option between run time and reliability. But I'm interested to hear from those who've done this--any input?

Before anyone says "just buy a better light," I have a Surefire Scout on one of my guns and love it. Lots of bang, light weight and bright as all get-out. But I literally have no money in my 6P. It was left in one of our loaner cars at work. It sat on our shelf for over a year and nobody claimed it, so I've had it ever since.

SeriousStudent
08-13-15, 21:42
I have done what you are looking for do. Gene Malkoff does make several LED's that are about 6 hours, and have about 225 nice, floody lumens. I put one in one of my Surefire shotgun lights, and it is great for lighting up a room.

Question - I know you want a long runtime, but are you looking for more flood than throw?

SocomShooter
08-13-15, 21:55
I have done what you are looking for do. Gene Malkoff does make several LED's that are about 6 hours, and have about 225 nice, floody lumens. I put one in one of my Surefire shotgun lights, and it is great for lighting up a room.

Question - I know you want a long runtime, but are you looking for more flood than throw?

If I had to pick one, then yes, I'd go with more flood--geared more towards room clearing. To be honest, my go-to weapon for basic HD is a Springfield XD40 with a TLR-3. When I set up my rifles, I tend to do-so with a SHTF scenario in mind. Batteries might be hard to come by, so I want to make the ones I have last as long as possible.

Any references to the part numbers I might be looking for in regards to the Malkoff drop-ins you're talking about?

Eurodriver
08-13-15, 22:07
Not trying to dissuade you from your quest, I am just curious. I just bought another malkoff for my 6p Friday as a matter of fact so I am biased.

But why do you want longer run time? Of course it's good to have, but weapon lights aren't for rummaging around in your pack. If you're using your WML for 2 hours you've got bigger issues to worry about.

SeriousStudent
08-13-15, 22:18

Any references to the part numbers I might be looking for in regards to the Malkoff drop-ins you're talking about?

Let me dig, and see what I can find.

You might want to call the man, and see what he has. He might have something laying around that would not be on the website, but would fit you perfectly. He's a really sharp dude.

SocomShooter
08-13-15, 22:52
Not trying to dissuade you from your quest, I am just curious. I just bought another malkoff for my 6p Friday as a matter of fact so I am biased.

But why do you want longer run time? Of course it's good to have, but weapon lights aren't for rummaging around in your pack. If you're using your WML for 2 hours you've got bigger issues to worry about.

No worries, man - constructive criticism is always good. I mainly want longer run time for those instances (God forbid) that another set of batteries simply may not be available. I'm willing to sacrifice *some* brightness for longer run time.

lobstradomus
08-14-15, 18:11

The Malkoff M61 drop in is actually available in 3 versions with different outputs and runtimes. The standard M61, which you are familiar with, that offers 325 lumens for 1.5 hours before starting to taper down, the M61L with 175 lumens for 5 hours and the M61LL which puts out 100 lumens for at least 10 hours.

If you really want a nice, floody, long running light then definitely contact Gene like SeriousStudent said, maybe you could talk him into crafting a one off hybrid of his M61L/LL with the flood lens he puts into the M60F Elzetta sells.

SoDak
08-14-15, 18:33
I'd think the M61L or M61LL would fit the bill nicely if you want something with more of a runtime. I don't have either (but I have a few M61 modules), but I have a fair number of lights with the P60L. They weren't that bright and I don't remember the runtime being all that great. They've largely been relegated to a drawer to be stuck on guns that I wanted to put a light on just in case they saw use. I'm betting any of the malkoff modules would serve you better.

SeriousStudent
08-14-15, 20:22
The Malkoff M61 drop in is actually available in 3 versions with different outputs and runtimes. The standard M61, which you are familiar with, that offers 325 lumens for 1.5 hours before starting to taper down, the M61L with 175 lumens for 5 hours and the M61LL which puts out 100 lumens for at least 10 hours.

If you really want a nice, floody, long running light then definitely contact Gene like SeriousStudent said, maybe you could talk him into crafting a one off hybrid of his M61L/LL with the flood lens he puts into the M60F Elzetta sells.

Perfect answer, and exactly what I was trying to recall.

Thanks very much for the assist.

SocomShooter
08-14-15, 21:48
Awesome info, guys--can't thank you enough!