PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Thread \m/

BoringGuy45
08-14-15, 00:18
Okay, so since the thread regarding Sweden tucking their tails between there legs over Islamic militants was evolving into a debate over which Scandinavian produced the best metal bands, I have done as suggested and started a new thread on this. I'll repeat what I said there to kick it off. I love pretty much all the offerings of metal that Scandinavia has put out.

Out of Finland, I like Children of Bodom, Mors Principium Est, Wintersun, Catamenia, Kalmah, Norther, and Nightwish. Follow the Reaper is one of the best metal albums in history, period.

Sweden has the offering of the creators and undisputed kings of melodic death metal with At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, and In Flames up until Soundtrack to Your Escape, when they turned into Swedish Korn (though Come Clarity was an awesome album). And I'll mention Amaranthe again. I went to go see them last year in NY and, as I expected: 1) They were awesome 2) Elize is even hotter in person!

I appreciate Norway's contribution to the metal world, though aside from Satyricon, which I love, I could never get into that low fidelity raw black metal like early Darkthrone (before they went punk), Mayhem, Gorgoroth, etc. I know that it was supposed to play into the Satanic ethos of black metal that "We make the music for ourselves and not for our fans", but it still sucks to listen to. That doesn't apply to bands like Dimmu Borgir and the others who "sold out" by defying Satan and trying to make some money and fans.

And since I mentioned Elize Ryd, I should also say that one of the other reasons to love metal is that the women of metal are 50 times more talented and about 1000 times more beautiful than any American slutty pop princess.

I stand by my opinion that Sweden narrowly edges Finland for the metal scene, as it's just way to hard to beat the big 3 for melodic death metal. Throw Soilwork in there and it makes it just that much harder!

Anyway, so that's my intro to the metal thread.

rero360
08-14-15, 00:25
I'm a big fan of Dimmu Borgir, Lamb of God (saw them open for Metallica in Buffalo in 09), Metallica, Slayer, and a bunch of others.

HighDesert
08-14-15, 00:59
I don't know... Norway has Old Man's Child and Opeth....

Soooooo ****ing good.

HighDesert
08-14-15, 01:00
And Emperor!

HighDesert
08-14-15, 01:04
I forgot how many good bands I used to listen too. Tomorrow is just going to be melodic death metal day.

Lots of Dimmu Borgir.

t1tan
08-14-15, 01:41
It's nice to see other fans of the best music genre in the world. Metal has such a wide spectrum of sounds, styles and themes that for me is very mood dependent, then it's especially fascinating to see how much crossover each of these bands have with each other and the sound each individual can add to an entirely different breed of the music.

Some of my favorites after a "quick" scroll through my iTunes.
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg456/t1tan19/Forums/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-14%20at%201.33.02%20AM_zpsljrr6gig.png

Norway - V:28, Emperor/Ihsahn and his wife(Starofash, Peccatum, etc.), Hardingrock, Dimmu Borgir, Red Harvest, Arcturus, Borknagar, Ulver, Enslaved, The Kovenant, Old Man's Child, Ram-Zet, Satyricon, Zyklon
Sweden - Ghost, Amon Amarth, Ancient Wisdom, Dissection, In Flames(1997-2004), The Project Hate MCMXCIX, At The Gates, Soilwork, Tiamat, Watain, Meshuggah
Finland - Catamenia, Norther
Poland - Behemoth, Vesania
France - Gojira
Hungary - Sear Bliss
Ukraine - Drudkh
Britain - Anaal Nathrakh
Canada - Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project, Strapping Young Lad, Casualties of Cool
USA - Nile, Ides of Gemini, Nevermore
Australia - Ruins, The Amenta

Currently I've listened to the leak of the new Ghost - Meliora about 6 times in two days and absolutely love every second of it, and just today finished my first listen to Nile - What Shall Not Be Unearthed.

https://youtu.be/zz1h4yItb8g

https://youtu.be/Cx01fOYsc6E

Outlander Systems
08-14-15, 07:23
You're welcome.

http://youtu.be/YFBMyJUc_fU?t=1m17s

Probably the greatest Metal band of all time.

Once upon a time, I was obsessed with In Flames, until they went full-retard. The loss of Jesper Strömblad sent them straight down the toilet. (Side note, if you are not familiar with Sinergy, their first album had Jesper Strömblad and Alexi Laiho on git-fiddles).

While I have two tons of love for old In Flames, old Opeth (when Peter Lindgren was still on guitars, ATG/The Haunted, Soilwork, and Dark Tranquility, I am more fond of the Finns (COB, Norther, Wintersun, Kalmah).

A guilty pleasure of mine is Viking-Metal: Thyrfing, Ensiferum, Turisas, Korpiklaani, etc.

While I'm as red-blooded a patriot as one can get, American Metal, with the exception of Lamb of God, is for children. Scandinavians absolutely dominate the genre.

wildcard600
08-14-15, 07:39
Still love me some Fear Factory. Slayer too. I like some of the foreign bands mentioned but alot of it is just "off" enough that i cant really get into it. i'm not really a "metal fan" though, just like certain bands and types of sounds.

BoringGuy45
08-14-15, 08:20
While I'm as red-blooded a patriot as one can get, American Metal, with the exception of Lamb of God, is for children. Scandinavians absolutely dominate the genre.

Agreed. Much of modern American heavy metal has roots in hardcore punk as opposed to thrash and power metal. Metalcore/melodic death hybrid bands like As I Lay Dying (before Tim tried to kill his wife), Still Remains, and Unearth put out some good stuff, and they openly admit that their biggest influences are the Swedish and Finnish melodic death bands. One trend I like from the American metal bands is that many of them do covers of pop songs and make them listenable.

Another country's metal that doesn't get enough love is The Netherlands. Granted, Dutch symphonic metal is more of rock/metal, but it's good if you're in the mood for something lighter than MDM or black metal. Within Temptation and Delain are amazing bands!

t1tan
08-14-15, 08:50

I've never been able to get into Lamb of God and just cringe when they pop up on Pandora. In a whole that's true for the majority of "metal" out of this country for me. Aside from Warrel Dane/Nevermore/Sanctuary, Iced Earth, Dragonlord and a handful of others I really can't think of any American metal that has made much of an impression to me over the years.

http://youtu.be/Qqg8bsDayak

http://youtu.be/9Ba-2ag3tgo

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 10:04
Surprised no one mentioned Arch Enemy yet. Or witchery.

Some other euro/Scandinavian metal I like not mentioned above:
-vomitory
-benighted
-aborted
-defeated sanity
-necrophagist
-spawn of possession
-severe torture
-flesh of apocalypse
-aeon
-Incision
-torsofuk

Good American metal is vast!
-The Absence
-lamb of god
-dying fetus
-suffocation
-cannibal corpse
-origin
-disgorge
-devourment
-cryptopsy (okay Canadian, but that's North American eh?)
-deeds of flesh
-skinless
-vital remains
-napalm death
-decrepit birth

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are tons more- just have to look through my vinyl collection.

I could go on and on. There's a TOn of underground stuff most have never heard.

There's also some amazing stuff coming out of Brazil, Japan, China, Malta, Nicaragua and Australia.

I'll list more later when I have more time.

BoringGuy45
08-14-15, 12:16
Surprised no one mentioned Arch Enemy yet. Or witchery.

Never got into Arch Enemy much. I don't like female screamers. Not to say that they aren't good though.

Good American metal is vast!
-The Absence
-lamb of god
-dying fetus
-suffocation
-cannibal corpse
-origin
-disgorge
-devourment
-cryptopsy (okay Canadian, but that's North American eh?)
-deeds of flesh
-skinless
-vital remains
-napalm death
-decrepit birth

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are tons more- just have to look through my vinyl collection.

I could go on and on. There's a TOn of underground stuff most have never heard.

Basically, the Norwegians burn churches, the Swedes and Finns write abstract poetry, and the Americans like to eat and have sex with corpses (in that order).

For the good American acts, don't forget Morbid Angel.

There's also some amazing stuff coming out of Brazil, Japan, China, Malta, Nicaragua and Australia.

I'll list more later when I have more time.

Universum is an awesome Australian melodic death metal band, and Blood Stain Child is an excellent Japanese group!

MegademiC
08-14-15, 12:29
I'm not sure where they are from, but my top bands are Amon Amarth, Insomnium, and This Ending, of which the drummer is same as AA.

I think they are Finnish?

Mr blasty
08-14-15, 12:33
I'm not sure where they are from, but my top bands are Amon Amarth, Insomnium, and This Ending, of which the drummer is same as AA.

I think they are Finnish?

Swedish. Amon Amarth is my favorite band by far. Met them several times and there great guy's. Very laid back.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

t1tan
08-14-15, 12:53
Never got into Arch Enemy much. I don't like female screamers. Not to say that they aren't good though.

First three albums were a male vocalist, then Angela Gossow came in at Wages of Sin(the only album of theirs I care for) until recently where she stepped down to manage and selected a new female, more of the same meh sound.

Swedish. Amon Amarth is my favorite band by far. Met them several times and there great guy's. Very laid back.

Saw them with Enslaved last year, loved finally seeing them live. Then saw King Dude and Ghost a couple weeks later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LpMZuBEMk

Rekkr870
08-14-15, 13:00
- Pantera
-Lamb of God
-Down
- Crowbar
-Tool

.......'Murca

I do love Meshuggah, and Cavalera Conspiracy, though.

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 13:15

Basically, the Norwegians burn churches, the Swedes and Finns write abstract poetry, and the Americans like to eat and have sex with corpses (in that order).

For the good American acts, don't forget Morbid Angel.

Universum is an awesome Australian melodic death metal band, and Blood Stain Child is an excellent Japanese group!

I never liked Angela as a vocalist or member of the band- I much preferred Johan. Angela is all vocal processor and boobs- NOT metal!

The Amott brothers are ****ing amazing guitarists- best metal guitarist duo ever. They could banish your soul to hell with the brilliance of their arpeggio skills alone!!!

BoringGuy45
08-14-15, 13:49
I never liked Angela as a vocalist or member of the band- I much preferred Johan. Angela is all vocal processor and boobs- NOT metal!

For metal bands that do female vocals, I prefer the operatic vocalists like Tarja Turunen, Sharon den Adel, Dianne van Giersbergen, Simone Simons, etc.

The Amott brothers are ****ing amazing guitarists- best metal guitarist duo ever. They could banish your soul to hell with the brilliance of their arpeggio skills alone!!!

No argument there, though Jesper Stromblad and Bjorn Gelotte during In Flames' pre-Soundtrack were a very close second.

Moose-Knuckle
08-14-15, 14:20
Texas Metal . . .

I grew up with these guys and their axe man and I went to school together. They're the reason I have rock-n-roll hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQF4FPOX9Rs

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 16:13
Texas Metal . . .

I grew up with these guys and their axe man and I went to school together. They're the reason I have rock-n-roll hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQF4FPOX9Rs

I caught one of their sets when playing shows at SXSW some time ago and was impressed, they play loud and the vocalist is pretty brutal- funny guy too.

There is tons of good American metal, all genres of metal- most of it is somewhat underground though and most people only know of the big guys.

Some of the best metal I've seen was in a basement or at an old car garage gutter punk slum venue with 10-20 other people.

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 16:25
Can't believe I forgot to put carcass on that euro list. Those guys kill it live!

Mr blasty
08-14-15, 16:49
I'm glad to see that there are other hardcore metal fans who go beyond basic heavy.

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 17:01
I'm glad to see that there are other hardcore metal fans who go beyond basic heavy.

Dude, I love almost all metal. Even some of the hair band metal crap!

I'm huge into all metal, but lately I listen to mostly metalcore/ mathcore/avant-garde metal. Like dillenger Escape plan, converge (one of my all time favorite metal or otherwise bands- BRUTAL live shows!!!) shellac, botch, coalesce, psyopus, cave in, Knut, cable, etc.

Looks like we have some good metal heads here at M4C. \m/

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 17:12
I listen to metal LOUD, beyond loud. I played in punk/crust/metal/jazz/hardcore/ska bands from age 12 to 30 so my ears are toast.

Whenever I have a metal album in my truck (I've got a pretty decent/robust surround system) on and the wife borrows my car afterwards- it is hilarious. I never turn it down when I turn the car off, and it comes on full bore when she turns the car on. The look on her face and the jump in her seat is priceless every time. :haha:

Waylander
08-14-15, 22:49
I got to be a fan of Swedish metal years ago though I'm not a fan of quite the extreme stuff. I like Evergrey for prog/power metal, Katatonia for doom, Scar Symmetry for a little melodeth, The Haunted for some thrash and Soilwork as a solid favorite.

Italy has Disarmonia Mundi with guest vocals by Speed from Soilwork. England has TesseracT. Australia has Karnivool and Parkway Drive.

'Murica still has some interesting stuff. Dirge Within, As I Lay Dying, God Forbid, Slipknot, Divine Heresy, Killswitch Engage and Machine Head still going strong.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

carolvs
08-15-15, 21:01
Meshuggah, Opeth, Ola Englund.

Sweden wins.

Outlander Systems
08-15-15, 21:10
I've never been able to get into Lamb of God and just cringe when they pop up on Pandora. In a whole that's true for the majority of "metal" out of this country for me. Aside from Warrel Dane/Nevermore/Sanctuary, Iced Earth, Dragonlord and a handful of others I really can't think of any American metal that has made much of an impression to me over the years.

http://youtu.be/Qqg8bsDayak

http://youtu.be/9Ba-2ag3tgo

Wow...Iced Earth. I was so hoping they would break into themed "Colonial/Patriot Metal" but it never quite made it that far. I always thought that would make a cool one off side-project genre. Still Jon Schaffer is a badass.

I'm pretty much with you on American Metal. Other than Iced Earth, I could almost-ALMOST get into Shadows Fall, but they're just Scandinavian-Lite.

If I wanted some Scandi Metal, I'll go for the real deal, thanks.

Kain
08-15-15, 21:23
I tend to have more of an interest in more european metal bands over American ones, mostly due to sound, content, and personal taste. That and I have a hard time shoehorning bands into a concrete genre. I guess I never got the memo about what concretely characterized on genre such as metal. Although I admit freely that I can be a little schizo in my musical tastes with playlists that have everything from Five Finger Death Punch and Bloodsimple to Johnny Cash and Simon and Garfunkel on them. And that on a single playlist mind you. I tend to like to use to paraphrase a line I once read in a book, "I can appreciate almost any kind of music. But if I can kill to it then it meets all of my requirements." That does, however, mean that I have lots of single songs, or a few songs by a band which I really like, and don't care for much else of their stuff.

Anyway, I am happy to admit that I have more than just a handful of the bands mentioned here on my ipod, Nightwish Children of Boden being two that I think I listen to the most that have been mentioned, and have listened to several others, like Arch Enemy, more than a couple times while trying to find new bands and seeing if their sound grew on me. That said, in regards to metal, I tend to be drawn to the stuff that is usually more symphonic in nature with the two that get probably the most time on my ipod falling to Nightwish and Delain with a scattering of others who i pick up one or two songs thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, excuse me while I make a list and go explore some bands, since my ipod is low on new stuff and I have like a month before I next CD I have been waiting for come out.

t1tan
08-15-15, 21:40
Simon and Garfunkel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG7sd-YPmE

ForTehNguyen
08-15-15, 21:57
big nightwish fan here. Went to their concert in Houston in May.

SilverBullet432
08-15-15, 23:14
'Tallica. :cool:

wildcard600
08-16-15, 02:38
Since we are posting vids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJVHHQW6aE

Crap... forum only allows one vid post -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKIf2BUGKjw

ForTehNguyen
08-16-15, 09:20
Nightwish announced 2016 US tour dates a while back

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/nightwish2016usatour_638.jpg

Jellybean
08-16-15, 09:57
'Tallica. :cool:

Get out.
:laugh:

Anyway, I knew there had to be some good metal folk lurking about, Mah peeps! :cool:
Some of these bands listed here... man... haven't listened to some of these in ages.
I remember "back in the day" I stumbled across a few bands on Myspace- As I Lay Dying (their classic "shadows are security" album), All That Remains (This Darkened Heart/ Fall of Ideals), and this crazy speed metal band called Dragonforce (I know, you can see the cheese dripping off their albums, but I dare you to find another band that fast).
It was all downhill from there.

I've always leaned more towards the "melodic" end of the metal spectrum, so all the ones mentioned here like Soilwork, In Flames (Clayman!), Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility etc, etc..
Frankly, SS is pretty much slaying in the melodic genre. I haven't heard their latest, but they just have that "it" factor that even though they can get just a little fruity at times, it's still epic. Of course Pitch Black Progress is still the quintessential SS album.
Soilwork, DT, liked their older stuff, new stuff...meh. I liked DT's "Character" and "Fiction" albums, just couldn't get into them after that. Soilwork, right around Figure Number Five they just seemed to have lost their "punch" if you will.
In Flames, well... this has already been well covered here. :(

As far as other bands to add to the compilation here- some old[er] stuff some may be familiar with:
Into Eternity (The Scattering of Ashes is a classic)
Before the Dawn (They had one decent album- their first. The others... not so much)

Not really hardcore "metal", but still awesome:
Grand Magus- (Epic viking-esque music to form your shieldwall to)
Mercenary- (now disbanded, but one of the best old bands in the Melodic genre)
Sabaton- (because who doesn't like epic historically based metal?)

I know there's a few more I can't remember off the top of my head.

Talon167
08-17-15, 10:49
I’m a huge metal fan, but not so much death metal. I prefer there to be some kick ass guitar riffs, some barking, but also some good vocals. Grew up on old school Metallica and they’re still the best, IMO. As of newer bands, I like: All That Remains, 5FDP, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine some Devil Driver, a little new-age thrash like Dragonforce (Herman Li is a magician on the guitar), etc.

t1tan
08-17-15, 12:20
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg456/t1tan19/Forums/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-17%20at%2012.18.14%20PM_zpsmoirxqx9.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=195&v=CzzkemzfdfU

OldGreg
08-17-15, 12:45
I'm totally obsessed with Ghost, Baroness, and Michael Schenker Group right now.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg456/t1tan19/Forums/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-17%20at%2012.18.14%20PM_zpsmoirxqx9.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=195&v=CzzkemzfdfU

Waylander
08-19-15, 20:46

I came across a few songs from Universum off Mortuus Machina years ago and they fell off my radar unfortunately. I'm glad you brought them up. Familiar enough sound yet distinct enough to stand out.

Kain
08-19-15, 21:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG7sd-YPmE

But what of Johnny? Lol. Not bad, I Prefer the original, but as covers go it is not bad. I like the sound of teh vocalist, will have to sit down and listen to more of them when I have the time.

Nightwish announced 2016 US tour dates a while back

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/nightwish2016usatour_638.jpg

And none that are close to me. Which sucks, since I would love to see both bands live.

BoringGuy45
08-19-15, 21:44
And none that are close to me. Which sucks, since I would love to see both bands live.

It was worse for me this year. Nightwish and Delain came to Philly on a day that I had off of work. But I was dead f*@!ing broke due to a timing belt replacement in my car and couldn't justify getting tickets. Still pissed about that.

Oh well. I got to see Amaranthe and Within Temptation in NYC last October. THAT was a kick ass show!

Kain
08-19-15, 21:52
It was worse for me this year. Nightwish and Delain came to Philly on a day that I had off of work. But I was dead f*@!ing broke due to a timing belt replacement in my car and couldn't justify getting tickets. Still pissed about that.

Oh well. I got to see Amaranthe and Within Temptation in NYC last October. THAT was a kick ass show!

Yeah, that would have pissed me off too. Actually it does piss me off, since I apparently missed them too :( . It sucks that the area up here puts you really in a nice middle ground for some awesome shows, but timing and funds will screw you faster than shit. I did get to see two pretty damn good shows this past year though. Need to see if Clutch going to be near by this coming year, what with them releasing a new album and all, they are on my list of bands to see live, among several others, though they not really metal.

Waylander
08-19-15, 23:14
I'm hoping to make this show. I don't care for Soulfly but there's Soilwork and the other two bands are decent from what I've heard of their tracks.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11884628_10153083998002263_2017076463774479569_o.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk for HTC Android

Moose-Knuckle
08-19-15, 23:59
I caught one of their sets when playing shows at SXSW some time ago and was impressed, they play loud and the vocalist is pretty brutal- funny guy too.

There is tons of good American metal, all genres of metal- most of it is somewhat underground though and most people only know of the big guys.

Some of the best metal I've seen was in a basement or at an old car garage gutter punk slum venue with 10-20 other people.

Small world.

I can't even count how many show I've been to, in high school I would average three a week. The night of my high school prom I went to a show where these guys (then called Embodyment) opened for Training For Utopia and Zao was headlining.

Best prom ever! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/devils-horn-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Waylander
08-20-15, 15:07
One of the Soilwork vocalist's other bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JStGlzP8oMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2PjmuYB8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG3jsvKsPgE

Orginal vocalist of Scar Symmetry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYUjJSK43NU

ForTehNguyen
08-20-15, 21:20
Kamelot is another good band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAc_hx33-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSylbQEHhVo

good drumwork:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZs9aJfdNQ

BoringGuy45
08-23-15, 16:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7yfWMsiPY

Still Remains is another good American band. I didn't like their second album much, but their recent stuff has been really good!

Waylander
08-25-15, 15:47
Still Remains is another good American band. I didn't like their second album much, but their recent stuff has been really good!

Nice. I really like that album better than Serpent.
It's good to see some Metalcore bands returning to their old sound when so many of them are turning into pop basically.

Parkway Drive being an example of going the wrong direction. Their first three albums were good at least.

Parkway Drive - "Deliver Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei5hEyBnRF4

Parkway Drive - "Sleepwalker"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15mxiWAYSEw

Parkway Drive - "Leviathan I" (Full Album Stream)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM-Jmwk-6YU

Parkway Drive - "Idols and Anchors"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni4x5uyG1Wc

Waylander
09-15-15, 18:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd7OZppr8BQ

Outlander Systems
09-15-15, 19:09
That lineup should be inverted.

I'm hoping to make this show. I don't care for Soulfly but there's Soilwork and the other two bands are decent from what I've heard of their tracks.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11884628_10153083998002263_2017076463774479569_o.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk for HTC Android

t1tan
09-15-15, 22:55
Just got done checking out a couple new albums.

New Soilwork sounds like Soilwork, not much of an impression besides that, pretty much the same for the new My Dying Bride. Nothing wrong with either but nothing special either, more of the same.

BoringGuy45
09-16-15, 08:42
Here's a metalcore band I just discovered. They kinda have an Unearth kind of sound, but I think the guitar work is a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUEUdWp2L1I

Bowser
09-16-15, 14:57
Here's a video of my band playing a show last week. I am the drummer. This was the last song of the set and I was tired and hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOlEB6iJTGY

This is my friend's band - Aethere.

https://aethere.bandcamp.com/album/demons

Mauser KAR98K
09-20-15, 11:44
http://youtu.be/I53HDr0-Qew

Waylander
10-22-15, 14:37
The originals still do it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfUxnWMHds

graffex
10-22-15, 20:23
Lifelong metal head, guitarist, and drummer here. Lamb of god is probably my favorite if I had to pick. I like all styles of metal particularly metalcore, and progressive types. Been blasting After the Burial a lot lately in honor of there guitarist Justin Lowe who committed suicide recently sadly, he was an amazing talent. Few off the top of my head I listen to heavily.

Metallica
Megadeth
Nevermore
Nothing More
Pantera
Lamb of God
God Forbid
All That Remains
Killswitch Engage
Between the Buried and me
After the Burial
Fear Factory
Devil Driver
Periphery
Amon Armath
Veil of Maya
Sucide Silence
Shadows Fall
Soilwork
Messhuggah
Mastodon
Parkway Drive

Lots of other more mainstream hard rock alt metal bands as well such as Godsmack, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Cold, Three Days Grace, Seether, Chevelle, Tool, 311 ect.

Edit: RIP Justin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l64aDvWTvk

BoringGuy45
11-29-15, 10:38
Even as a big metal fan, I had to agree with a lot of what this guy had to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qf_iKoDB5M

That's what I always tell people: If you like a certain genre of music (metal included), like it because you like the sound, no other reason. If you listen to certain bands or genres as a way of rebelling against corporate America, or you believe that a person's music preference reflects upon their worth as a person, you're a self-important dumbass.

cinco
11-29-15, 15:31
That's what I always tell people: If you like a certain genre of music (metal included), like it because you like the sound, no other reason. If you listen to certain bands or genres as a way of rebelling against corporate America, or you believe that a person's music preference reflects upon their worth as a person, you're a self-important dumbass.

Preach it brother! Music for music's sake. :neo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y24MmylTeY4

cinco
11-29-15, 17:06
Grew up on 80s punk and liked the evolution from there. Like hardcore, rapcore, etc - damn like most music... Good album. Perfect for the heavy bag.

PS - The song "Judas" and "Feel" - 17 years and a dose of reality" will make you want to kick someone's ass who's wronged you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwA7cQVqrNk

Skyyr
11-29-15, 17:38
Oratory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdokKraPgbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdokKraPgbw