PDA

View Full Version : Glock trigger pin question.

captdreifus
08-14-15, 01:45
When I was new to Glocks, I did not realize that it was bad to use force to take out the trigger pin. The most force I used was a screwdriver handle or the Glock slide paired with a Glock tool to tap out the pin.

Now during my annual inspections, what areas should I look for, for damage from using force to take out the trigger pin?

I have looked at the frame, the trigger pin hole, slide stop lever hole, trigger, and locking block with no visible cracks or dings. There is some wear on the slide stop hole (its shiny around the hole).

Any other parts I should take a look at?

thanks
Capt

themonk
08-14-15, 06:12
Most likely any damage would be on the slide stop (around the hole for the pin) or the pin itself. The main hang up is the slide stop. If both those look ok you should be good to go. If not post a pic and we can take a deeper dive.

T2C
08-14-15, 06:39
You should not need a screwdriver handle or hammer to drive out the pin. You should be able to push out the pin with the Glock Armorer's tool. Lay the pistol on top of a towel on it's right side and wiggle the slide stop lever while applying pressure to the pin. If you like, you can prop the pistol up on two blocks of wood with room for the pin to drop free instead of a towel. The pin should come out without hammering. It may be a little stiff on a brand new pistol, but you should not need to strike the tool you are using to push out the pin.

As themonk said, check the hole in the slide stop lever. The piece is pretty tough to bend, but it can be done. The shine around the slide stop lever hole is not a concern as long as nothing is bent, the hole is not rounded out and it functions properly. The slide stop lever is inexpensive to replace and my biggest concern would be the trigger pin holes in the frame.

Spurholder
08-14-15, 07:29
You should not need a screwdriver handle or hammer to drive out the pin. You should be able to push out the pin with the Glock Armorer's tool. Lay the pistol on top of a towel on it's right side and wiggle the slide stop lever while applying pressure to the pin. If you like, you can prop the pistol up on two blocks of wood with room for the pin to drop free instead of a towel. The pin should come out without hammering. It may be a little stiff on a brand new pistol, but you should not need to strike the tool you are using to push out the pin.

As themonk said, check the hole in the slide stop lever. The piece is pretty tough to bend, but it can be done. The shine around the slide stop lever hole is not a concern as long as nothing is bent, the hole is not rounded out and it functions properly. The slide stop lever is inexpensive to replace and my biggest concern would be the trigger pin holes in the frame.

Bingo - great post. Set the frame on a roll of duct tape while you work - keeps all the little pins in one place, and not rolling off your work space into the carpet.

If you see anything remotely questionable concerning wear and tear, replace the parts. Certainly cheap enough.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Three-Pin-Kit/productinfo/GMPIN3/

http://www.glockmeister.com/Slide-Stop-Levers/products/101/

Bryan84
08-14-15, 20:49
A local gunsmith could steer you in the right directions also.

captdreifus
08-15-15, 01:17
Thanks all for the replies. I just wanted to confirm that I'm not missing any parts to inspect. All looks good with the trigger pin hole. No gauges or anything. No need for a gunsmith to look over either, as the firearm is fully functional.