PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote Question for Applicators

mildot
08-14-15, 08:00
So I've been doing some research and I have found out that there are 2 types of paint, the "H" series and the "C" series the latter being the "air cured" paint. I"m trying to figure out if there is a "C" series of RAL 8000 that HK and S&B use? Cerakote tells me that S&B paint there scopes with the "H" series (oven cured) before assembly. I know that there are lots of vendors and individuals here that have painted both there rifles and optics, so have you used an "air cured" RAL 8000 or did you paint your optics and cure them at the lowest temp 140 that Cerakote recommends? I"m looking to paint an Aimpoint PRO & a Compact ACOG? However I'm very concerned about "baking" them. Thanks troops.

LRRPF52
08-15-15, 13:02
I've baked a lot of optics with H series. The best route is to be able to prep and bake the tube before assembly of course, since it can be degreased, blasted, degreased, and acetone-bathed.

albatrossarmament
08-17-15, 10:54
Cerakote does not make a "C" version of RAL8000. You could use Federal Standard Field Drab C30118Q, which is a similar color although not quite as yellow.

mildot
08-17-15, 15:04
Thanks so good info there. Cheers

bp7178
08-17-15, 21:06
Either one of those optics should be able to shrug off 140F. Out in the wild the desert sun will cook a black ACOG beyond that.

I would not Acetone bath it though. No telling what that will do to the coatings on the lenses. Instead, I would mask them off, and hose it with non-clorinated brake cleaner, then pre bake in the oven to complete the degreasing.