PDA

View Full Version : Training class ammo purchase

Clay34
08-14-15, 10:45
I have a carbine class set up in about a month so I have some time before the class. While I have an inventory of 5.56 ammo I prefer to just buy some less expensive blasting ammo for the class that will do fine for drills. I will bring some more precision ammo to the class for the longer range stuff but for 100 yards and under I think that I can run something a little less expensive.

I'm down to just a few rounds. I would prefer a brass cased round. I'm reading good things about Wolf Gold, but one of the others that I am having difficulty finding information on is the Amrscor products. Then there is PPU to consider. If you wanted a case of ammo today for a carbine class which would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

C4IGrant
08-14-15, 11:43
I have a carbine class set up in about a month so I have some time before the class. While I have an inventory of 5.56 ammo I prefer to just buy some less expensive blasting ammo for the class that will do fine for drills. I will bring some more precision ammo to the class for the longer range stuff but for 100 yards and under I think that I can run something a little less expensive.

I'm down to just a few rounds. I would prefer a brass cased round. I'm reading good things about Wolf Gold, but one of the others that I am having difficulty finding information on is the Amrscor products. Then there is PPU to consider. If you wanted a case of ammo today for a carbine class which would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

The CBC/Magtech 5.56 is really the best Ball ammo made. It is NOT X-loads and or rejected .Mil brass. 1st quality stuff and you will probably find out that it will hold its own with some more expensive ammo.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CBC556A

C4

Wake27
08-14-15, 12:00
Lots of members here love the Magtech stuff Grant posted above, especially the 62gr flavor. If I had one type of preferred 5.56 that would be it. I usually stock whatever brass round is cheapest which usually is Freedom Munition's .223 reloads or Wolf Gold, but the extra $50 or so for the Magtech is not at all a bad deal. For your purposes, I'd follow his link and buy that ammo and not worry about having two different rounds for different ranges - just stick to that unless you're talking about 400+ meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjacobs
08-14-15, 13:00
I've shot a bunch(3-4k) of the Wolf Gold through M16's and never had it hiccup. Seems accurate enough, but ive never done any accuracy testing with it, just messing around in machine guns.

CatSnipah
08-14-15, 14:28
I have had very good experience with Wolf Gold. It's my ammo of choice for plinking and training.

Clay34
08-14-15, 15:37
When I checked out the above link it describes the Magtech stuff as: Magtech/S&B/CBC M193

I have had a terrible experience with S&B 9mm brass as far as reloading it. These days if I come across S&B 9mm brass it goes directly into the brass scrap pile. I know that this is probably different since it isn't their 9mm stuff, but once bitten ... you know the rest. I'll be avoiding anything from S&B that I would want to reload.

C4IGrant
08-14-15, 15:44
When I checked out the above link it describes the Magtech stuff as: Magtech/S&B/CBC M193

I have had a terrible experience with S&B 9mm brass as far as reloading it. These days if I come across S&B 9mm brass it goes directly into the brass scrap pile. I know that this is probably different since it isn't their 9mm stuff, but once bitten ... you know the rest. I'll be avoiding anything from S&B that I would want to reload.

Lots of folks reload S&B HG & rifle brass. Also, CBC is a separate plant from S&B (read not the same brass).

C4

kerplode
08-14-15, 16:08
I've had very good luck with the CBC 5.56. As stated, it's excellent ammo. It would be my first choice, but I wouldn't hesitate too much to use Wolf Gold or PPU for training either.

Pick the price point you're comfortable with and rock on.

Clay34
08-14-15, 16:16
Lots of folks reload S&B HG & rifle brass. Also, CBC is a separate plant from S&B (read not the same brass).

C4

Thanks for the clarification Grant.

samuse
08-14-15, 18:34
For 100 yards and in, any decent ammo will be fine.

I have used a LOT of PMC X-Tac 55 & 62 with no problems, as well as bulk packed Federal. Accuracy is acceptable, but not stellar with either.

U&A
08-21-15, 19:41
For 100 yards and in, any decent ammo will be fine.

I have used a LOT of PMC X-Tac 55 & 62 with no problems, as well as bulk packed Federal. Accuracy is acceptable, but not stellar with either.

this

Just buy what you can find a good price on. in 100 yards it will do just fine for class. even steel case. I use steel case all the time and its good enough for every day shooting.