PDA

View Full Version : Swap Glock triggers

moonshot
08-14-15, 13:41
I have a question on replacing the stock serrated trigger on a G19 and a G26 with the smooth trigger for the G17. Keeping this within the same generation (in this case - all are Gen 3).

I know this can be done, what I want to know is should it be done?

I called Glock in Smyrna and was told they could not recommend this, but they wouldn't say why. I am guessing it's a liability issue - replacing a stock part with one not intended for that gun, even though it's OEM. Glock even advised I not put GAP floorplates on my G26 mags.

This would be for a carry gun.

Am I opening myself up for a potential problem in court, should I ever need to use my gun in self-defense, if I have "modified" the trigger (and by shady lawyer definition - one of the three safeties) on my gun?

Is "smoothing" a part to remove burrs or edges (similar to an action job on a revolver) better than replacing a part with one not authorized by the manufacturer?

My other options are...

1) Lightly sand the existing ridges on the stock trigger to smooth them, but it's not the same as the G17 trigger.
2) Learn to live with the serrated trigger (I hate serrated triggers).
3) Carry a different gun.

okie john
08-14-15, 15:08
No reason not to. The G19 has a serrated trigger to meet import restrictions, nothing more.

Okie John

MStarmer
08-14-15, 15:27
It's done all the time. Just pick up some gen 3 G17/22/35 triggers and you should be fine and check for function. One of the few armorer points is to check for proper amount of engagement.

JSantoro
08-14-15, 15:38
The G19 I used to test The Gadget had a G17 trigger on it for all 14,700+ rounds. Same with my other G19s. No issues.

Any time somebody tells me "X," but treats a "Why/why not?" follow-up as if the answer is suicide-before-reading-level secret info, I'm inclined to do it anyway, just on GP. In this case, it's mechanically sound.

Between the fact that the gun-mod worry is comically overblown, and the fact that you're not trying to get the trigger to some cockamamie level of lightness/sensitivity...do it.

Bryan84
08-14-15, 16:10
It's a cheap OEM part and it works like JSantoro said above. Try it out and if you don't like I'm sure someone on M4C would buy it.

kerplode
08-14-15, 16:19
I have smooth triggers in my 19, 23, and 27. No issues with any of them.

Like okie john said, the smaller Glocks have serrated "target" triggers simply to gain additional import points. The smooth trigger is a mechanically compatible OEM part that will not alter the weight or function of the trigger. If you prefer smooth, then swap it out.

To be honest, I think filing on your existing trigger to smooth it would look worse to a prosecutor/jury than replacing with an unmodified OEM part...

DirectTo
08-14-15, 16:22
Nailed it above. I've swapped every non-full size Glock I own including every pistol I do or potentially would carry. In fact there's one in the mail somewhere right now for the G23 I bought yesterday. It's an OEM part and very simple swap, if anything it would be less of a liability than a 25 cent trigger job (and I use 'liability' loosely provided it's safely done of course).

moonshot
08-14-15, 16:28
Thanks for all the advise. I know it will work, and it's such a low cost item to buy that even if I try it and don't like it, so what? I was begining to worry that it might become a liability headache should my gun ever be used in self-defense, on the same lines as carrying hand loads for self defense or removing the magazine disconnect from a Hi-Power.

I've taken many Mas Ayoob courses over the years, and this reasoning gets covered a lot. Many have said he over reacts, but I tend to appreciate his approach, and his advise. I suppose I could email him directly and get his feedback.

JSantoro>>

Between the fact that the gun-mod worry is comically overblown, and the fact that you're not trying to get the trigger to some cockamamie level of lightness/sensitivity...do it.

I don't know about "comically overblown" (it might be - I just don't know), but the 2nd part makes sense.

kerplode>>

To be honest, I think filing on your existing trigger to smooth it would look worse to a prosecutor/jury than replacing with an unmodified OEM part...

I hadn't considered this, and this also makes sense.

samuse
08-14-15, 18:26
If the safety tab bothers your finger, just dehorn it with some 1000 grit sandpaper.

The serrated trigger has never bothered me, but the safety has, and the trigger pinching my finger between the tip of the trigger and the trigger guard used to give me a blister when shooting a .40.

DirectTo
08-14-15, 21:03
I've taken many Mas Ayoob courses over the years, and this reasoning gets covered a lot. Many have said he over reacts, but I tend to appreciate his approach, and his advise. I suppose I could email him directly and get his feedback.
There's a lot of info on the web countering a lot of the "expert" advice by Ayoob. Do your own research.

Actually, better yet, just try and find any case on the internet where legal gun modifications were brought up in a legal trial during a self defense shooting.

t1tan
08-14-15, 23:25
Never seen a single example of a court case of a good shoot turn out bad for anybody because they modded their gun. People make this claim all the time, especially on other forums but have absolutely no evidence to back up the claims.

I don't have a single gun with a stock trigger(Glocks, VP9) besides my PPS and that's because there aren't any options. If making my guns more shootable is a problem with others, ****'em.

Gunfixr
08-14-15, 23:49
Glock will never tell you that you can install any part other than what came in the gun.
Lawyers ruined all that years ago.

As far as gun mods and court goes, I have seen something on it a couple times.
Sitting in some Dr's office when the trial about the trayvon Martin thing was happening one day, it was on the TV. Some gun expert was testifying about how the pistol used was not modified in any way.
All I saw was about a half hour or so. So yes, it came up in that case, but it was a high profile case.
I know a lawyer personally who had an expert come in on a case to testify that a gun wasn't modded. Somebody was claiming an accident, more like they got drunk and then got the gun out.
So yes, gun mods can come up in a shooting court case. Will they come up if you defend yourself? No way to know at this time.

Personally, in my opinion, and worth what you spend for it, is that the only mods I would be concerned about would be those that make it easier to shoot something.
Not better, easier.
So, a smoother trigger enhances accuracy ( so I wouldn't hit any innocent bystanders). A lighter trigger makes it easier to fire.
Just to note, in the Martin trial, questions about lightening the trigger, and how easy it was to fire were a good portion of what I heard.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Rattlehead
08-15-15, 01:36
Swapping out the serrated trigger for the OEM smooth trigger is common practice and I do it to almost all of my Glock's. There are no functional/safety issues so long as it is installed properly.

Spurholder
08-15-15, 06:21
Even if it ever came up - which is doubtful - I don't see any room for traction when you're replacing an OEM part for an almost identical OEM part.

Did the swap with my G19 years ago - and so glad I did.

thirteen/autumns
08-15-15, 21:49
Am I opening myself up for a potential problem in court, should I ever need to use my gun in self-defense, if I have "modified" the trigger (and by shady lawyer definition - one of the three safeties) on my gun?

I would be FAR FAR FAR FAR more concerned with the legality of actually shooting another individual in self defense of myself or loved ones… IE justified or not, then the legality of switching out OEM parts for OEM parts or even aftermarket parts for that matter. Like others have said there is no precedent for it. If the gun mod works in your favor then why in the hell not would you not use it!