PDA

View Full Version : Question about the quality of these knives

THCDDM4
08-14-15, 16:06
So my good buddy is getting married and I am part of the wedding. I want to get him a cool gift around $150.00-$300.00.

He is a big 1911 fan; it's all he shoots pistol wise.

I found these 1911 grip-handled folding knives and thought they looked pretty cool for a 1911 guy. Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://ultimate-equipmentstore.com

I want to get him something cool, but also functional that will last.

What's the quality on these? First hand experience would be best...

I figured I'd get him this and a nice bottle of scotch- as he is also a fellow scotchy scotch scoth lover; or keep looking for something else. Suggestions are welcome. He's an ex army guy who likes whiskey, guns, knives and guns and knives.

Thanks in advance.

SomeOtherGuy
08-14-15, 20:25
Those look really cool. I have no personal experience, but the prices and specs are plausible for a low to moderate production run knife. All the steels offered are good, but the S-30V and S-35V are both a major upgrade over the 440C.

Exiledviking
08-14-15, 21:10
How about a Wilson Combat folding knife?
Another option is my favorite which is the Zero Tolerance knives. Much better steel.

SomeOtherGuy
08-14-15, 21:21
How about a Wilson Combat folding knife? Much better steel.
Another option is my favorite which is the Zero Tolerance knives.

The lowest priced Wilson folders are in the $150 range and have N690 steel. N690 is an excellent steel, but so are S-30V and S-35V. They are all premium steels, but I'd put the S-3xV steels slightly ahead if anything. The Wilson definitely does not have a "much better steel" vs. those options on the 1911 knife. OP, if you just want to do a really nice folding knife I'm sure many of us can provide a list of options within your price range.

Exiledviking
08-14-15, 21:32
The lowest priced Wilson folders are in the $150 range and have N690 steel. N690 is an excellent steel, but so are S-30V and S-35V. They are all premium steels, but I'd put the S-3xV steels slightly ahead if anything. The Wilson definitely does not have a "much better steel" vs. those options on the 1911 knife. OP, if you just want to do a really nice folding knife I'm sure many of us can provide a list of options within your price range.

Sorry. I was asleep at the wheel when I wrote that.

THCDDM4
08-15-15, 10:00

The guy has tons of good knives, I was looking at this for the novelty of the 1911 grip/handle as he doesn't have anything like that and is a huge 1911 fan. I can get him a matching grip handled knife to his 1911 EDC and I think the cool factor would be high.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a cheapo knife. Even though it's for the novelty I'd prefer it be of quality steel and workmanship.

Thanks for all the replies.

sevenhelmet
08-15-15, 10:08
They look neat, I'd think it was a nice gift if somebody gave me one.