PDA

View Full Version : A good, basic, inexpensive scope for the desperate?

Doc Safari
08-14-15, 16:54
First, let me start off by saying that I know you get what you pay for, and my "grail" optic is a Trijicon TA33 or similar.

Soooo....with that in mind, I am broke.

I just need a good, basic, durable optic that costs under $400 that will "get me by" while I scheme, save, sell blood, and otherwise eat nothing but ramen until I can afford that Trijicon.

I used to have a couple of Aimpoints, but I'm leaning away from red dots for now. I want something that is decent up close and far away.

I'm tempted to mount one of those Chicom military scopes that used to sell for cheap for SKS's, but of course I'm overcome with a basic "Puh-leeeeeeez...."

Suggestions?

Kain
08-14-15, 16:57
Something from Primary arms maybe? They seem to be getting not only good reviews, but seem to actually work.

Other than that, rock irons while you save and troll EE for a good deal on a Trij. It is where I ended up buying my TA01NSN. ACOGs are sweet.

samuse
08-14-15, 17:13
Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 is a super solid scope and works well on an AR.

jerrysimons
08-14-15, 17:37
I have been putting Redfield Revolution 2.5-7x33 simple duplex scopes mounted on an Aero Precision 1" SPR mount on hunting oriented budget builds for people. Pretty good scope for the price, assembled in USA, simple. It is really light with the Aero mount too, 14.1oz. The SPR mount is required though with the 2.5-7x33 since the regular Aero mount rings span too far and get into the taper of the objective lens.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3435117608/redfield-revolution-rifle-scope-2-7x-33mm-matte?cm_vc=subv3435117608

TXBK
08-14-15, 19:53
One of the Primary Arms (1-4 or 1-6) offerings may get you by in this pinch. I have a PA Micro-Dot and PA 1-6 that I swap around on an M&P 15-22, and haven't had any issues with either of them in this application. You can get the 1-6 with a mount or rings for less than $400. I am only assuming that you are looking for 1-x variable type optic.

My other experience is with a Vortex 1-4. New and with a mount seems to be around $500, but you can usually find them used with a good mount around ~$400. The reticle leaves plenty to be desired, but it is a decent optic for the money, I think.

Tx_Aggie
08-14-15, 21:04
There are often some good deals to be had in SWFA's sample list:

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx

SLewis
08-14-15, 22:43
I don't see how spending money on a cheaper scope will help you save money for the acog later.

However, I'd recommend the SWFA SS classic 1-4x24. retails at $400

nimdabew
08-15-15, 00:11
Save now, buy later. Or just get a Vortex PST 1-4 and a decent mount. They can be had for 425 with mount if you wait around long enough and jump on one when they become available.

AssGasOrBrass
08-15-15, 05:19
Check out SWFA sample list, also google "demo / open box scopes for sale" to find other deals similar to those on the sample list. Also check out the vortex strike eagle. I have not tried it but there is lots of buzz about it. The leatherwood 1-4 is also supposed to be really good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBK
08-15-15, 05:21
I completely forgot about the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 (http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-strike-eagle-scope-1-6x24-ar-bdc-reticle.html). Vortex has a bombproof warranty, and the few reviews that I have seen have been very positive. At $335, I would say that it is one you should definitely look at.

Review on OpticsPlanet:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/gearexpert/2015/08/a-quality-1-6x-scope-for-under-400-vortex-strike-eagle-ftw.html

anatolian B
08-15-15, 08:16
I totally agree with shopping samplelist as well as looking for a Vortex Viper or the newish Strike Eagle on sale. I have done both of these and am happy with results.

Joe Mamma
08-15-15, 10:20
First, let me start off by saying that I know you get what you pay for, and my "grail" optic is a Trijicon TA33 or similar.

Soooo....with that in mind, I am broke.

I just need a good, basic, durable optic that costs under $400 that will "get me by" while I scheme, save, sell blood, and otherwise eat nothing but ramen until I can afford that Trijicon.

I used to have a couple of Aimpoints, but I'm leaning away from red dots for now. I want something that is decent up close and far away.

I'm tempted to mount one of those Chicom military scopes that used to sell for cheap for SKS's, but of course I'm overcome with a basic "Puh-leeeeeeez...."

Suggestions?

I doubt you will hear anyone else suggest this because it is not very "tactical." But you should consider a Weaver 1-5X24 Super Slam Dangerous Game.

Compared to a Vortex PST 1-4X24 side-by-side, the images are sharper, clearer, and brighter (and of course a little larger) with the Weaver when both are at maximum magnification. My guess is that the Weaver is more durable too. And yes I've have both, and have had to send my Vortex 1-4X back for warranty work.

What you will not get with the Weaver is hash marks on your reticle (if you like using them for hold overs or ranging) and illumination. You get both with the Vortex 1-4X. The Weaver reticle is just a plain duplex style reticle.

The Weaver is currently on sale for $299 from Natchez, which is well within your $400 budget.

I've never used the new Vortex 1-6X Strike Eagle. But the glass is not great (in my opinion) on their their higher end Viper PST 1-4X. So I am guessing that the glass on the 1-6X is worse.

The Primary Arms 1-4x is actually great for it's price. The glass is quite good (actually slightly better than the Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24). But the adjustment knobs on the Primary Arms Scope feel very cheap when making adjustments. I don't trust them at all. Also, my guess is 5-10 years from now, you would still be using either of the Vortex scopes or Weaver mentioned above on some gun. But you probably won't be using the Primary Arms scope. So the PA scope isn't really a good investment in my opinion.

Joe Mamma

Bimmer
08-15-15, 13:00
Nikon makes nice scopes. Mine have been utterly reliable (I have four), and when I've contacted customer support (for extra turret caps!) they were fast and accomodating.

Wake27
08-15-15, 13:26
Primary Arms or Vortex. Find a reticle that you like and go from there. I've had my first LPV (capped Vortex 1-4) for several weeks but was just now able to find the Bobro mount I wanted in stock so it's been sitting on my desk. Looks to be pretty awesome though, definitely worth the price. If you like the reticle in the Strike Eagle, go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBK
08-17-15, 07:09
If you are looking at the Vortex Strike Eagle, there is a member offering a 10% off coupon code in THIS THREAD (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?162241-New-vortex-StrikeEagle-1-6-sub-400/page2).

sevenhelmet
08-17-15, 09:54
Only a rich man can afford cheap optics. I would wait. If you absolutely can't wait for some reason, then I'll cast my vote for the Strike Eagle. My father-in-law has one, and it seems well made for the price.

I also recommend trying (or at least looking through one) before you buy. Do you have any shooting buddies who could lend you a scope while you save up? Is this for competition, plinking, or something else?

stitch702
08-18-15, 18:41
Primary arms has good scopes for the money. However as others have said I would do vortex scopes. They have a lifetime warranty, you ant beat that

Sent via pony express

Boba Fett v2
08-19-15, 11:27
Something from Primary arms maybe? They seem to be getting not only good reviews, but seem to actually work.

Other than that, rock irons while you save and troll EE for a good deal on a Trij. It is where I ended up buying my TA01NSN. ACOGs are sweet.
I agree. Shoot irons until you've got enough stashed away for the optic you want. I've been putting aside $200 for myself with each paycheck I get. I'm currently doing that with my MWS, saving up for the Nightforce ATACR I've got on order. After 4 weeks of saving I'm already halfway there. Don't settle for bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
08-19-15, 11:47
So you guys will probably laugh at this but I got a Leupold 1-4 "Pig Plex" because the LGS was having a sale and I decided "a bird in the hand" at a bargain price for a name-brand will get me by until I have the cash for something better.

Kinda don't like how the reticle says "Pig Plex" but the price was right and I do like the cross-hairs.

It will be my "beater" scope until that TA33 ACOG becomes feasible.

EDITED TO ADD: Since posting this I've been toying with the "Pig Plex" and I think I'll take it back to the store. The words "Pig Plex" on the reticle are just too distracting.

wingspar
08-19-15, 22:39
From the SFWA sample list provided earlier in this thread is a Nikon 1-4x20 M-223 for $229.95. I paid $300 for this scope a couple of weeks ago at SFWA. Has the BD 600 reticle. Glass looks crystal clear and the reticle is good. I have not mounted it yet, but it looks and feels like a very nice scope. I have the M-308 4-16x40 on my .308 bolt gun and have been happy with it. Must be, or I wouldn’t have bought another Nikon scope.

http://www.samplelist.com/Nikon-1-4x20-M-223-Riflescope-DEMO-A-P85324.aspx

JoshNC
08-19-15, 23:06
The Steiner 1-4x24 is on clearance at EuroOptic for $699. Obviously over your budget, but seemingly too good to pass up if you're looking for a variable.

Caeser25
08-20-15, 14:54
Weaver classic 1-3, Vortex Crossfire 1-4?

nova3930
08-20-15, 16:03
I've got one of these on my coyote rifle and it's pretty decent. Good clear glass and it's held zero so far with me being decidedly uncareful with it...

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm

T2C
08-20-15, 16:33
So you guys will probably laugh at this but I got a Leupold 1-4 "Pig Plex" because the LGS was having a sale and I decided "a bird in the hand" at a bargain price for a name-brand will get me by until I have the cash for something better.

Kinda don't like how the reticle says "Pig Plex" but the price was right and I do like the cross-hairs.

It will be my "beater" scope until that TA33 ACOG becomes feasible.

EDITED TO ADD: Since posting this I've been toying with the "Pig Plex" and I think I'll take it back to the store. The words "Pig Plex" on the reticle are just too distracting.

I had a Pig Plex scope on a 5.56mm carbine and the hold over points on the reticle did not correspond well to 5.56mm ammunition. I think the reticle is better suited for .30 caliber or 8mm.

I had the Pig Plex mounted on a LAR-8 carbine and was able to easily shoot sub MOA groups at 300 yards with the scope on 4X. At the lowest setting it was not suitable for close quarters shooting.

Doc Safari
08-20-15, 16:36
I had a Pig Plex scope on a 5.56mm carbine and the hold over points on the reticle did not correspond well to 5.56mm ammunition. I think the reticle is better suited for .30 caliber or 8mm.

I had the Pig Plex mounted on a LAR-8 carbine and was able to easily shoot sub MOA groups at 300 yards with the scope on 4X. At the lowest setting it was not suitable for close quarters shooting.

Kind of what I suspected. The dealer tried to argue with me that it would work with .223, but Leupold's literature says it's for 180 grain 30.06.

Anyway, I've got a Nikon Monarch with BDC for .223 on order.

MBtech
08-20-15, 17:37
I have had a Nikon P223 with BDC reticle for a couple years now no complaints. Nikon is a good solid choice for an inexpensive optic IMO.

SomeOtherGuy
08-20-15, 21:32
It may be too late for you, but I recently picked up a Vortex Spitfire 3x prism type scope for $276 new at Amazon. It's not an ACOG but it has good glass and excellent illumination, and a good integral mount. It has much more eye relief but less field of view than a comparable magnification ACOG. I got it for an AR that I want to shoot occasionally but didn't want to spend major optic money on.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-spitfire-3x-prism-scope-with-ebr-556b-moa-reticle

I would recommend this for someone who wants simple and inexpensive but not a red dot. The two accessory rails are a bit silly but come off in 30 seconds with an allen wrench.

I know PA gets good reviews but comparing the Vortex warranty to the typical short PA warranties makes me veer towards Vortex if I'm going cheap and Chinese anyway.

SocomShooter
08-20-15, 21:38
I recently paired a Nikon P-223 (3x32) with an ADM 1-piece QD mount on one of my rifles. So far, so good--I like it a lot. It has that little "bump" for further out shooting, but it's still more than adequate to shoot a target @ 50yds. The scope and mount would be well under your target price, too.

mlazzaro
08-22-15, 10:50
I recently paired a Nikon P-223 (3x32) with an ADM 1-piece QD mount on one of my rifles. So far, so good--I like it a lot. It has that little "bump" for further out shooting, but it's still more than adequate to shoot a target @ 50yds. The scope and mount would be well under your target price, too.

I have this Nikon 3x32 as well. Actually really good glass for the money. I've stretched it out to 200m with pretty good results.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/22/36458c40f30a0270727977d609ab7bb3.jpg