PDA

View Full Version : Are there shooting-oriented retirement communities?

ABNAK
08-15-15, 07:24
Kinda like "The Villages" is attractive to avid golfers, was wondering if there are any retirement communities that cater to avid shooters?

GH41
08-15-15, 08:22
How much do you want to spend? There is one down here that has it all. Hunting, skeet, clays, and rifle range. Entry level homes start at 1.2 and POA fees are close to 30K per year. A more affordable option is something like Sun City Hilton Head. They have many shooting related clubs in the community and they are within a 50 radius of at least 10 shooting facilities.

WillBrink
08-15-15, 09:41
Kinda like "The Villages" is attractive to avid golfers, was wondering if there are any retirement communities that cater to avid shooters?

I had thought that was the idea behind Front Site at one point. Not sure what happened with the class action suit and other drama there, but I can see done right, it's a great idea. Instead of the community being based on a gold course, it's based on a large range. I'd think there would be more than enough like minded people to join it. I can also see the kickback and resistance from the various "activists" to block it.

Frailer
08-15-15, 10:50
I went a slightly different route, purchasing a house on a few rural acres.

I guess you could call this a "shooting community," because there are about ten houses along my mile-long stretch of road, and when someone starts shooting on a sunny day it sets off a chain reaction...like dogs barking.

At 11AM on 1 September, when dove season opens, someone standing in my back yard would think I live on a range. And I guess I do.

ABNAK
08-15-15, 12:38
I went a slightly different route, purchasing a house on a few rural acres.

I guess you could call this a "shooting community," because there are about ten houses along my mile-long stretch of road, and when someone starts shooting on a sunny day it sets off a chain reaction...like dogs barking.

At 11AM on 1 September, when dove season opens, someone standing in my back yard would think I live on a range. And I guess I do.

I live on 22 acres and have a home range. You might wonder why I ask such a blasphemous thing when I already have what most people don't. Just that at some point when the acreage becomes a bit much for me and the wife (I still have a ways to go until retirement) I was mulling over options.

ABNAK
08-15-15, 12:39
I had thought that was the idea behind Front Site at one point. Not sure what happened with the class action suit and other drama there, but I can see done right, it's a great idea. Instead of the community being based on a gold course, it's based on a large range. I'd think there would be more than enough like minded people to join it. I can also see the kickback and resistance from the various "activists" to block it.

Wasn't that the Dr. Ignatius Piazza thing? I recall a while back reading about legal troubles.

ABNAK
08-15-15, 12:40
How much do you want to spend? There is one down here that has it all. Hunting, skeet, clays, and rifle range. Entry level homes start at 1.2 and POA fees are close to 30K per year. A more affordable option is something like Sun City Hilton Head. They have many shooting related clubs in the community and they are within a 50 radius of at least 10 shooting facilities.

Waaayyy out of my league!

Averageman
08-15-15, 12:42
I live on 22 acres and have a home range. You might wonder why I ask such a blasphemous thing when I already have what most people don't. Just that at some point when the acreage becomes a bit much for me and the wife (I still have a ways to go until retirement) I was mulling over options.

They have those walk in bath tubs now too,....

Get's kinda weird when you start getting mail from AARP doesn't it?

ABNAK
08-15-15, 12:47

Get's kinda weird when you start getting mail from AARP doesn't it?

Hey hey there, I haven't gotten a damn thing from AARP!

(yet)

26 Inf
08-15-15, 13:16

You priced those bad boys? I'm going to a home with big breasted nurse's aides to help me in and out of the tub, it will be cheaper.

26 Inf
08-15-15, 13:25
I think a development centered around a trap and skeet range, as well as a small bore pistol and rifle range, with a regular rifle and pistol range, sporting clay course, and a practical range immediately adjacent would go.

The development could be built around the shotgun ranges, safe fall zones could be controlled by fencing, and the noise wouldn't be bad. Then for your full bore shooting, hop on the golf kart and take the trail to the ranges located adjacent to the development.

Problem would of course be land. I don't think a retirement development would work because most shooters remain active longer and by the time they are ready to go to a retirement set up they are victims of arthritis and failing eyesight.

There is a closed ski resort in New Mexico that would be ideal, but no medical facilities for the elderly and too far from jobs for families interested in that lifestyle.

Dienekes
08-15-15, 14:11
Well, the demographics and leisure activities suggest a square tract of land north of Colorado, south of Montana, west of south Dakota, and east of Idaho. Lots of BLM land. Membership fees are relatively low. (No state income tax.)

Kain
08-15-15, 14:14
Shit. There a few gunclubs up here that are damn near that way. Mostly trap ranges. Bunch of retirees meeting up during the week. Go to one club shoot and eat breakfast. Next day meet up at another shoot and eat. Meet up at another on another day in the afternoon. Shoot bullshit and drink beer. Cant bitch bout that retirement plan really.

WillBrink
08-15-15, 14:19
Wasn't that the Dr. Ignatius Piazza thing? I recall a while back reading about legal troubles.

Yup...dat be it.

ABNAK
08-15-15, 14:33
Yup...dat be it.

Just did a little Googling and it appears that the "community" has been scaled back significantly. From what I gather, as of 2014 not much in the way of housing had been built. I can only speculate what a condo or house there would cost but at $500 per day for a class I'll wager it would be beyond most of our means.

Outlander Systems
08-15-15, 16:32

Time to get you some pasture ornaments, and some good dogs to watch 'em!

ABNAK
08-15-15, 17:47
Time to get you some pasture ornaments, and some good dogs to watch 'em!

LOL! Approximately 17 of the 22 is wooded, so no pasture. I had my shooting range carved out of those woods. Do have dogs though. Very domesticated dogs I might add (friggin' spoiled might be more accurate).

Outlander Systems
08-15-15, 19:03
Goats, man. They'll clear them woods out licketty-split.

ETA: My folks live in "The Villages" and are considering moving back to God's Country...I mean, Georgia.

The Villages is nothing but a bunch of retired drunks that slap golf balls and STD's around. I swear, if you took the booze away that place would turn into a Senior Baltifergadishu.

SeriousStudent
08-16-15, 21:31
Well, the demographics and leisure activities suggest a square tract of land north of Colorado, south of Montana, west of south Dakota, and east of Idaho. Lots of BLM land. Membership fees are relatively low. (No state income tax.)

That was my first thought as well. Buy some property in Wyoming.

If those pesky people at the state lottery commission ever start cooperating, I'm buying a summer range in the foothills of the Grand Tetons, and a winter range in the Texas Hill Country.

WillBrink
08-17-15, 09:30
Just did a little Googling and it appears that the "community" has been scaled back significantly. From what I gather, as of 2014 not much in the way of housing had been built. I can only speculate what a condo or house there would cost but at $500 per day for a class I'll wager it would be beyond most of our means.

I didn't know any development had taken place at all. I believe the Class Action took place due to nothing happening in the time frames members who pre paid were promised. My time at that range left me less than impressed.

agr1279
08-17-15, 10:02
Goats, man. They'll clear them woods out licketty-split.

ETA: My folks live in "The Villages" and are considering moving back to God's Country...I mean, Georgia.

The Villages is nothing but a bunch of retired drunks that slap golf balls and STD's around. I swear, if you took the booze away that place would turn into a Senior Baltifergadishu.

For the most part it is the children of the 60's there. Don't forget the famous Key night at the Outback...........

Dan

ABNAK
08-17-15, 17:58
I didn't know any development had taken place at all. I believe the Class Action took place due to nothing happening in the time frames members who pre paid were promised. My time at that range left me less than impressed.

I was talking about the plans for the community being scaled back from the original projections. Just as you I saw nothing to indicate that anything had begun yet (at least as of summer 2014).

Took a class there and didn't care for it? Would be interested in some feedback, although it's unlikely I'll ever travel that far for a class (although you did from MA and that's further than I'd have to go).