PDA

View Full Version : Questions about LMT MWS

08-15-15, 18:07
I decided a while back to go down the semi auto .308 route and found the MWS to be almost exactly what I would be looking for. No where around here has one for me to pick up and look over so I'm out of luck there and relying on everything I read online from others.

I just had a few questions and if anyone can answer them I would be greatly appreciative.

1) what kind of accuracy should I be realistically expecting?
2) ammo recommendations?
3) using this for a shtf/home defense (I got other rifles for this, but more can't hurt)/go to gun, any recommendations on particular setups?
4) any preference to suppressors? I'm between sure fire and AAC and both seem quality
5) any extras I should pick up from LMT for spares?
6) any tips or extra input would be great too :)

Benito
08-15-15, 18:48
I decided a while back to go down the semi auto .308 route and found the MWS to be almost exactly what I would be looking for. No where around here has one for me to pick up and look over so I'm out of luck there and relying on everything I read online from others.

I just had a few questions and if anyone can answer them I would be greatly appreciative.

1) what kind of accuracy should I be realistically expecting?
2) ammo recommendations?
3) using this for a shtf/home defense (I got other rifles for this, but more can't hurt)/go to gun, any recommendations on particular setups?
4) any preference to suppressors? I'm between sure fire and AAC and both seem quality
5) any extras I should pick up from LMT for spares?
6) any tips or extra input would be great too :)

This should probably go to the Beyond 5.56/.223 sub-forum.

As for the LMT MWS, it is an accurate rifle, but pretty big and heavy for most home defense scenarios (unless your home is a large ranch property). I don't own one, but have spent a total of a few days shooting one. Great and accurate rifle, but heavy.

08-15-15, 19:25
Oh I thought it was in there. My mistake on that.

It more than likely will never be deployed within the home as I've got other guns that are better suited for that. This will be used mainly as a go to gun when things get bad and have to be on the move. I got an AK74 as my truck gun for the time being and just want something for a bit longer range instead of going to a bolt gun.

TXBK
08-15-15, 19:35
Search Results for LMT MWS (https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php?cx=010536845846440650985%3Aridd3_u3s3i&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=LMT+MWS&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3F172621-Questions-about-LMT-MWS&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D1052023&ss=3323j2284487j10)

There is a wealth of info concerning the MWS here, as well as, suppressors suited for use on it. You need to do more research on suppressors if you are placing AAC on the same level as Surefire, in regards to quality.

08-15-15, 19:50
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

samnev
08-29-15, 17:34
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

My LMT MWS 16" CL with Federal 168 grain GMM shoots 1-1'25 moa with a Nightforce NXS 3-15X50 scope on it. My LaRue OBR with the sam ammo but an NXS5.5-22 scope constantly shoots 0.7 to 0.5 moa. If you have the coin spend a save for the LaRue OBR or Predator you won't be sorry.

ALCOAR
08-29-15, 23:23
I disagree with regards to taking a boutique rifle built for civilians/competition/hunting(predator model) that has a large price tag, over a rifle that was purpose built for combat/military use, and has meet actual military specifications for combat accuracy/precision.

The LMT MWS and Larue rifles are completely different animals, and appeal to different end users by in large. Larue rifles are nice for sure, but the LMT MWS is bombproof, and has unmatched modularity considering it can turn from a 10lb 16" .308 RDS rifle into a 20" .260rem high powered rifle w/in a few minutes.

Lastly, while I'm sure a match grade barreled larue rifle will eak out better groups than a CL mass produced 16" barrel....It's certainly not worth the negligible improvements in that one category vs. losing all the other advantages a MWS has to offer over a Larue rifle.

Interestingly, the 16" CL LMT barrel shoots factory FGMM 168gr. better than all other factory loads I've tested to date as you can see in the linked thread below.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94899-Range-Report-a-few-LMT-monolithic-railed-ARs

Koshinn
08-30-15, 00:21
Aren't there some SOF units that use OBRs?

ALCOAR
08-30-15, 01:41
I've heard that once in regards to a handful of Larue rifles being fielded by a few SOF individuals, but nothing to the extent of a contract, or a whole unit fielding them. I most likely heard it from the mouth himself on TOS.

So lets just say a handful of larue rifles are in the wild.....compare that with the thousands of L129A1s that the British MoD have already been fielding in A-Stan for years. Along with the NZE contract as well. Also with regards to SOF units having these rifles, LMT did a lot of work/testing on a very unique config. featuring a 13.5" suppressed MWS setup that is happy switch equipped, and they aren't being fielded by the reg. troops as they use the 16" SST. One can only speculate however given who potential uses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYwhb1-F_g

Just google british army MWS.....hundreds and hundreds of awesome pics of Brits packing L129A1. Can't find one image of a larue rifle in combat though(although it would be rarer to see an image of a SOF rifle by nature).

My final point I'll make before I sound like a larue hater, or a LMT fanboi is that I feel M4C is geared towards real world, hard use performance markers, and the firearms that can achieve those the best. Folks on this forum imho care more about reliability, and durability than the minutia involved with trying to increase a rifle's accuracy by .25moa. Ultimately I'll sacrifice a little accuracy given I can still maintain MOA with match grade ammo, all the while maintaining the excellent reliability, and modularity offered in the MWS.

Pappabear
08-30-15, 21:56
Just get some nice glass. I put a PRS stock on mine because I shot a fair amount of precision. If you really want better accuracy, some people buy the extra 20 inch SS BARREL DOWN THE ROAD. It's a quick change. The 16 CL is perfect for shooting with a can.

It is a great AR10.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-31-15, 00:33
Ammo- Hornady Superperformance popped primers on my 16CL barrel.

I found the 18ss barrel, heavy buffer, PRS stock and BattleComp brake world really well together.

The OBR is really a work of art, I think prettier than the MWS. The ability to have an MWS be a 16Cl lead slinger, a 18SS 308 and a 20in 6.5 gun all in one platform is pretty special.

Neither are bad choices. The best thing is running distant steel and not having to wait for the RO to know definitively that you got the hit.

ALCOAR
08-31-15, 02:18
The best thing is running distant steel and not having to wait for the RO to know definitively that you got the hit.
That is one of my definitive qualities I look to have in a LP .308 gasser outside of the obvious reliability. Personally I aim for repeatable 90% or higher hit ratio on 2/3rd steel torso @ 1000yds and change. Any 16" .308 AR built for hard use like the L129a1 or the new 16" SR-25 rifles that meets that performance benchmark is worth every penny and then some in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQtP8B03XuM

Koshinn
09-01-15, 00:12
That is one of my definitive qualities I look to have in a LP .308 gasser outside of the obvious reliability. Personally I aim for repeatable 90% or higher hit ratio on 2/3rd steel torso @ 1000yds and change. Any 16" .308 AR built for hard use like the L129a1 or the new 16" SR-25 rifles that meets that performance benchmark is worth every penny and then some in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQtP8B03XuM

What's the size of a 2/3 steel plate?

ALCOAR
09-01-15, 01:02
The actual "torso" portion is 16" x 12".

Here's a link for the target:
https://www.custommetalprod.com/shop/static-targets/product/176-idpa-2-3-size-torso

cst
09-01-15, 12:28
Awesome...>Does LMT offer longer handguard lengths?

samnev
09-15-15, 13:17
I own the LMT MWS 16" CL with PRS stock, NF 5.5-22X50 scope and Geissele SSA-E trigger. On good days it shoots 1-1.25 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I also own an 18" LaRue OBR with the PRS stock, same scope and trigger as the LMT. It consistently shoots well under 0.75 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I have never had a problem with either rifle. But if I could only have 1 of them it would be the LaRue OBR.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-18-15, 18:52
My LMT MWS 16" CL with Federal 168 grain GMM shoots 1-1'25 moa with a Nightforce NXS 3-15X50 scope on it. My LaRue OBR with the sam ammo but an NXS5.5-22 scope constantly shoots 0.7 to 0.5 moa. If you have the coin spend a save for the LaRue OBR or Predator you won't be sorry.

I own the LMT MWS 16" CL with PRS stock, NF 5.5-22X50 scope and Geissele SSA-E trigger. On good days it shoots 1-1.25 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I also own an 18" LaRue OBR with the PRS stock, same scope and trigger as the LMT. It consistently shoots well under 0.75 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I have never had a problem with either rifle. But if I could only have 1 of them it would be the LaRue OBR.

Well, your message is consistent!

CL versus stainless, I'm not surprised. Let's see how the OBR does a against a 20 inch 6.5CM MWS at 1200m in the wind ;)

Nice that you have the gear to make the comparison!

Boba Fett v2
11-01-15, 11:20
A good example of the kind of accuracy that can be achieved with an LMT CL barrel: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?80781-LMT-308-MWS-Pictures-show-us-your-setup&p=2198853#post2198853