Why are they ALL mid-length gas systems? :confused::suicide:

Ryno12
08-16-15, 10:41
Why are they ALL mid-length gas systems? :confused::suicide:

They aren't.

Sparky5019
08-16-15, 10:52
They aren't.

Strike that. I guess I meant anything non-NFA. I'm into NFA, being 07/02, but most of my customers are not. So with that course correction...why are ALL the 14.5" and 16" factory KMR upper groups mid length gas systems? Sorry for the detour.

Ryno12
08-16-15, 10:55
Strike that. I guess I meant anything non-NFA. I'm into NFA, being 07/02, but most of my customers are not. So with that course correction...why are ALL the 14.5" and 16" factory KMR upper groups mid length gas systems? Sorry for the detour.

They still aren't. ;)

(They just have the FSB installed with 7" KMR's.)

Sparky5019
08-16-15, 11:18
I missed that one however that still doesn't answer my question...why? I guess what I'm saying is 1 single upper among all those options? I could see it if they offered one carbine upper with a FSB and one with a LPGB upper in each barrel length maybe even std barrel only but none at all? Makes no sense to me. There are still plenty of people who prefer carbine gas systems.

I'm just curious if anyone knows why? BCM ain't talking on this one.

I love their stuff and tend to buy and recommend little else but this one stumps me.

Eurodriver
08-16-15, 11:42
I don't understand.

You asked why they don't make carbine length gas system uppers with KMR rails.

They do.

My guess is that mid length systems tend to run smoother and offer advantages over carbine length in the standard non-NFA barrel lengths (14.5" and 16") Additionally economies of scale says the more mid length systems they produce the less expensive they are and more profit they earn.

SteveL
08-16-15, 11:51
I don't understand.

You asked why they don't make carbine length gas system uppers with KMR rails.

They do.

My guess is that mid length systems tend to run smoother and offer advantages over carbine length in the standard non-NFA barrel lengths (14.5" and 16") Additionally economies of scale says the more mid length systems they produce the less expensive they are and more profit they earn.

Following along with this I've read on this forum before that BCM is one of the major players who spent a lot of time and resources developing the midlength system with regard to what the gas port size should be so it's only logical to me that this is what they're going to build and offer.

thebarracuda
08-16-15, 11:58
Im sure they are basing their product line offerings relative to the number units sold in the past. If they overwhelmingly have sold mid length gas systems in these barrel lengths as opposed to carbine, then why build both with a low pro gas block? One less item to build/stock.

Sparky5019
08-16-15, 12:14
I know they have put in a lot of R&D on the mid and that may just be the answer. It just surprises me for company as mil spec and TDP driven as BCM to virtually ignore those roots and that segment of the market.

I've got a BCM 14.5 and 16 mid and I'm not that thrilled with how they run. I know everyone is hot shit on the mid but it's just not there for me. I'm probably the minority which usually the case. I just have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who just doesn't care for the mid.

I put this question to BCM specifically about the barrels. I got crickets in return.

I was genuinely curious to see if there might be anyone here with more "inside" rationale to this philosophy. It's really not that big a deal, I can use BCM upper components and a FN barrel but it tends to be more expensive.

"Trying to understand why" certain things are the way they are has caused me a lot of consternation in life. Can't y'all tell? Lol.

Uprange41
08-16-15, 12:29
They don't ignore those roots. You can get a 20" rifle and 14.5"/16" carbine upper no problem.

But once you step out of that standard setup with enhanced profiles, low profile gas blocks, KMR's/Free-Float's.... going for a mid-length is no more non-standard than anything else.

And as was mentioned, you can get a carbine with a KMR and A2 FSB. Great upper.

So, can't tell you why BCM does what they do, but if you polled the consumers, the mid-lengths would likely be more popular. Might actually be an interesting poll to have here... One of their most popular uppers seems to be the 16" mid-length ELW with a KMR13. If they made the same profile for a carbine barrel, and offered the same setup with a carbine gas system, would most people want it more than the mid-length? I'd bet no. But like I said, could be an interesting poll.

thebarracuda
08-16-15, 12:34
I know they have put in a lot of R&D on the mid and that may just be the answer. It just surprises me for company as mil spec and TDP driven as BCM to virtually ignore those roots and that segment of the market.

I've got a BCM 14.5 and 16 mid and I'm not that thrilled with how they run. I know everyone is hot shit on the mid but it's just not there for me. I'm probably the minority which usually the case. I just have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who just doesn't care for the mid.

I put this question to BCM specifically about the barrels. I got crickets in return.

I was genuinely curious to see if there might be anyone here with more "inside" rationale to this philosophy. It's really not that big a deal, I can use BCM upper components and a FN barrel but it tends to be more expensive.

"Trying to understand why" certain things are the way they are has caused me a lot of consternation in life. Can't y'all tell? Lol.

You're a "build it myself guy" and thats ok! :)

O3SKILL
08-16-15, 13:04

The answer you're getting as simple as it is...is THE answer. BCM is all about the mid-length as has been covered here for years by pretty much everyone. That said, yes your statement above definitely puts you in the minority.

From a performance perspective, what exactly aren't you thrilled about that the standard carbine offers over the mid?

TMS951
08-16-15, 16:10

What was your issue, and why would you prefer carbone length?

To me the reason is obvious. BCM want s to make a better product. Mid length is better, it shoots softer and unlocks the bolt later with less stress on the bolt.

That's all win, why would you sell an infirior product if the better one costs no more?

Iraqgunz
08-16-15, 16:23
What does this have to do with the Technical Discussion Area?

Sparky5019
08-16-15, 16:27
To answer both of the above, I've compared my mids to the exact same setups with carbine gas systems and even with good AGBs, the mids still beat the shoulder more and are hard to keep on target. For the record, I'm not going to the A5. Nothing against it but I shouldn't have to replace everything in the gun to get "the better system" to actually run better.

Once I tune it to run nicely, it's unreliable otherwise, it's hard and over gassed.

I know they're all about the mid and I do understand that once you get into these non standard configurations that all bets are off. I just don't get it and was curious if anyone had more insight.

I'm wrong. I'm ok with that.

Sparky5019
08-16-15, 16:29
What does this have to do with the Technical Discussion Area?

I figured it would degenerate into a "mid is better because..." discussion despite how it started. Feel free to move it if needed. Sorry IG.

samuse
08-16-15, 17:31
I've had a few BCM 14.5 and 16" mids, they're really not much softer or smoother than a Colt 16" carbine to me.

I wouldn't, and don't know anyone who would, buy a KMR upper with a 16" barrel and carbine gas. Is just doesn't make sense.

Sparky5019
08-16-15, 18:25
I've had a few BCM 14.5 and 16" mids, they're really not much softer or smoother than a Colt 16" carbine to me.

I wouldn't, and don't know anyone who would, buy a KMR upper with a 16" barrel and carbine gas. Is just doesn't make sense.

Typically, for me, I'd put a SLR AGB on it. My contention is that a down gassed CAR feels better than any mid I've ever tried. I can build it up but it's been cheaper to by the factory unit with BCG and CH then add the AGB.

C-grunt
08-16-15, 20:36
Im confused here. Are you saying that a 16 inch carbine system is smoother/less overgassed than a middy or that your carbine gas with an adjustable gas block is smoother than a middy?

If it's the first one then I disagree. I use a Colt 6920 at work and have owned one for many years. I also own two BCM middies and they do shoot smoother though not a big difference to me and basically is a moot point in my opinion/experience. If its the second one then of course it does.

Sparky5019
08-17-15, 06:58
Im confused here. Are you saying that a 16 inch carbine system is smoother/less overgassed than a middy or that your carbine gas with an adjustable gas block is smoother than a middy?

If it's the first one then I disagree. I use a Colt 6920 at work and have owned one for many years. I also own two BCM middies and they do shoot smoother though not a big difference to me and basically is a moot point in my opinion/experience. If its the second one then of course it does.

I'm just saying that so far my experience has been with a small gas port or a AGB on a 14.5 or 16 CAR, the gun runs better than any mid I've shot even putting an AGB on the mid. With BCM offering some of the best gassed barrels on the market, I'm just surprised they're not offering more options in the CAR gas system.

Like I said earlier, I've found 2 identical 14.5 rifles with SLR AGBs, I CAR and 1 MID, the CAR runs better and if I adjust the MID to where the recoil impulse feels good, it was unreliable.

That's all I'm saying.

Mods,
Please close and remove this thread. I don't want it to become a bad thing. I think the query was misperceived from the outset. Thanks so much to all who offered they're opinions.

dogboy
08-25-15, 16:25
I don't jump back and forth a lot, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between a BCM middy light-weight and a Colt 6920. A middy with a heavy 16" barrel seems quite smooth.