PDA

View Full Version : Higher capacity mags/drums

philpac33
08-16-15, 15:43
I wanted to see what people's current opinions are regarding AR magazines and drums with capacities larger than the standard 30. I personally don't have a need for 50/60/100 round devices but I do understand having one/some as range toys or in nightmare/fantasy scenarios. I Googled drum magazines and found some that I was previously unaware of; they run the gamut from expensive to outrageous in price. Some reviewed very well, some with mixed results. These are the examples I found:
- 40 Magpul pmag40 $18.95
- 50 X-Products drum $245($310 skeletonized)
- 60 Magpul d-60 drum $123.45
- 60 Surefire magazine $116.10
- 100 Surefire magazine $161.10
- 100 KCI drum(Korean) $100-150
- 100 SGM drum(Korean)
- 100 Atlantic Firearms drum $119
- 100 Armatec SAW-MAG $433.67

Almost all of my AR magazines are standard 30 rounders but I also keep a dozen Pmag-20s and a dozen Pmag-40s. I wouldn't mind a Magpul 60 round drum or the X-Products 50 round drum but it just doesn't make sense financially. Some of these have been shown to be quite reliable but even those have downsides of price and added weight/size. What are your personal experiences?

Circle_10
08-16-15, 15:56
The Bulgarian made (Yes you read that right) IK-520 40 round mags have worked well for me. I bought them before the Pmag-40s hit the market, once they did I've been buying those instead though.

ColtSeavers
08-16-15, 17:49
Surefire 60 rounders are good to go, I have 6, 2 that get played with all the time, 2 that get used rarely and 2 NIB. They are shorter than pmag 40s by ~1" and 1.5" longer than a standard 30 rounder as well as ~.5" wider symmetrically. They are and have been completely reliable, though I do not have any of the first gens that users found the 'factory burr' in. They can be had for ~$80 if you actually do some research.

I've never had any desire for drum mags due to ergonomics and everytime I think about picking up a pmag 40 I just decide to get another surefire 60 instead.

Kain
08-16-15, 18:36
Personal experience follows as such. Magpul 40rders run, and I think you can get them down as long as $15-16 if you shop around and catch the sales. Have some other 40s as well, which I think I paid around $12 for several years ago that have run well as well, though I think they are C-Products. As far as Surefire mags, I have not been impressed with them, and have not found them to be good enough for me to trust as go to mags for hard use, for competition or if I were to tune a mag then maybe different, but have had enough malf, from rounds sticking to just run of the mill FTF I just don't trust them enough. Likely will still buy more though when I catch them on sale for $60/90 for the 60 rounders and 100 rounders respectfully.

The korean mags, be it the AR drums or their glock mags, are pretty much total junk in my opinion and from my experience.

Lastly, the c-mag/beta drum. I have one, it is fun, great conversation piece and with 55gr ball has run decently. But it is way too heavy, big, and lacks durability for a hard use mag. Cost is another issue as well though Midway had them down to $160 for those who needed one.

For practical purposes I don't see the need for most for anything more than the Magpul 40. For range or competition.... whatever you want to run with.

Wake27
08-16-15, 19:25
Magpul 40s are good. Their 60 round drum will be great I'm sure, and I'll definitely have one or two. Those are the only ones I would consider spending money on.

Clint
08-16-15, 20:24
Personally, I don't see a situation that calls for 50/60/100 rounds that is better served by a single large mag/drum than 2-3 standard capacity mags.

Add in cost considerations, and I'd rather have a 10 pack of PMAGS vs 1 drum.

MegademiC
08-16-15, 20:26
Money to capacity ratio, I think the pmag40 is difficult to beat for a practical standpoint, maybe add a coupler.

This is from a civilian viewpoont. I have no expectations of using my rifle as a SAW.

samuse
08-16-15, 23:18
I like the Pmag 40s because I can monopod prone in just a little bit taller grass.;)

Vintovka
08-17-15, 07:50
The Magpul 40 round P-mags, the Bulgarian mags and the 100 round Korean drums are outstanding in my experience.

H Wyman
08-17-15, 09:07
Personally, I don't see a situation that calls for 50/60/100 rounds that is better served by a single large mag/drum than 2-3 standard capacity mags.

Add in cost considerations, and I'd rather have a 10 pack of PMAGS vs 1 drum.

Agreed...

They seem counter-intuitive in light of the big push over the last few years to lighter shorter carbines.

BufordTJustice
08-17-15, 09:32
I have found that the reliability of PMAG 40s has been on par with their 30s with all ammo types; frangible, 77gr OTM, 70gr GMX, 62gr TBBC, 64gr Nosler BSB, 55gr GMX, 62 gr TSX, 62/64gr GDSP, etc.

I haven't tested any of the other high cap mags to do this when they're dirty, fouled, rained on, muddy, or some combination of those. I have used the pmag 40 like that. At $18 for std retail, you can't hardly beat it.

For me, reliability>capacity. If i get the money and time, or somebody else does, to really abuse these high cap mags like a good 30 rounder has been, then i might change my mind. Magazines are a HUGE variable with regard to weapon reliability.

TinyCrumb
08-17-15, 10:18
I couldn't get PMAG 40s to run with 300 blackout (subsonic) for what it's worth. I think there was just too much weight for the spring to work, even with 187 grainers (the lightest subs I have).

TomMcC
08-17-15, 10:35
I run PMAG 40's in 3gun, they work fine. Scored some Strike Industries EMP-5 5rd extensions for them, will be testing and if they pass the tests, I'll use them in an upcoming all rifle match.

MistWolf
08-17-15, 13:11
I've been doing a lot of shooting with the PMag 40s. So far, they've been reliable and rugged. I've some shooting with a 60 round Surefire including full auto but the Surefire feels fragile so I baby it. I don't drop it to the ground full or empty and I don't just toss it into the shooting bag. The PMag 40s get treated the same as the PMag 30s.

A fully loaded PMag 40 weighs in at 1.5 lbs, the same as a fully loaded 308 PMag 20. I haven't weighed the Surefire 60

ColtSeavers
08-17-15, 14:46
I've been doing a lot of shooting with the PMag 40s. So far, they've been reliable and rugged. I've some shooting with a 60 round Surefire including full auto but the Surefire feels fragile so I baby it. I don't drop it to the ground full or empty and I don't just toss it into the shooting bag. The PMag 40s get treated the same as the PMag 30s.

A fully loaded PMag 40 weighs in at 1.5 lbs, the same as a fully loaded 308 PMag 20. I haven't weighed the Surefire 60

The surefire 60 is basically a standard usgi mag (Construction material and thickness wise) with double the ammo weight. I do not torture test any of my mags (dumping/dropping them fully loaded onto concrete or running over then with vehicles and such) but i do not baby them either, I just use them normally (drop empty onto hardpack ground, generally get tossed around and such).

If memory serves, the surefire 60 is 2lbs. fully loaded. If anyone truly has a desire to exactly know the fully loaded weight, let me know and I can load up and weigh one of mine.

I guess I'll be picking up a few pmag 40s to mess around with as well sooner rather than later.

ETA: Quoted MistWolf's post as it reminded me to add the qualifier(s) for my impression of the surefire 60 was/is not meant as a slight or something against him.

bighawk
08-17-15, 17:29
I have 2 of the surefire 60's and have around 500 rounds through each without a hiccup.. Going to pick up some more soon

Iraqgunz
08-17-15, 18:28
When the Surefire 60 mag first came out, I took some to a carbine course for testing. They worked 100% for me during all 3 days. The only issue I have seen is of they are partially loaded and you drop them, they will bind up. Duane sent me some PMAG40's when they were first being released and they worked acorss the board with everything. I liked them enough that I ended up buying several more. I am not worried about the additional length, because quite frankly I am not rolling around in the prone.