PDA

View Full Version : Prep for injury and train with your opposite hand

titsonritz
08-16-15, 15:58
Yesterday I broke out my right-handed holsters (I am left-hand) and went through some one handed drills with my right hand. I sprained my left wrist real bad (entire forearm is rainbow bruised) so it is currently worthless. I highly recommend people have opposite hand of their preferred holster around just for such an occasion. This is not the first time I've had an injury that put my left side out of commission and I'm sure glad I keep opposite side rigs around because there is no way I could draw let alone operated with my wounded hand right now.

Did some thumping with my ARs too. I all ready have Ambi-controls being left-handed. Put my sling on the other side and went for broke. My Aimpoint T-1 sure made aiming opposite hand a breeze compared to the iron and magnified optics.

Similarly I keep a shoulder rig around, because as much as they suck and I hate them, I hurt my lower back some years ago and while I was on the mend I could not carry on a belt, it just killed me. So I was wear sweats and shoulder rig.

Anyhow food for thought, get yourself a opposite hand holster and train with it. Injuries suck bad enough, being unarmed or having to do the pretzel things makes it worse. Be safe

ST911
08-16-15, 19:13
Several friends and colleagues had arm/hand injuries or surgeries. Excellent examples of the needs and benefits of single handed shooting, both primary and alternate side work. Having a holster or two for your alternate side is good planning.

SeriousStudent
08-16-15, 21:03
Agreed - preparation for such an event is a good idea. I broke my right wrist/right ankle, then 14 months later broke the left ankle/left wrist in another accident. I got good enough with my left hand shooting that it's almost like cheating when we practice weak hand drills.

Oh, and practicing stick fighting with a cane is also a good idea. :cool: