PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Tacoma spec just released.

C-grunt
08-17-15, 02:57
I know we have a lot of Toyota Tacoma fans on the forum. They just released the specs for the new 2016 model.

The new 3.5 V6 makes 278 HP and 265 Lbft. Towing jumped up to 6800 pounds. MPG is rated 19-24 for a V6 2wd model and 18-23 for a V6 4wd model. It got the new CRAWL Control from the 4Runner. Interior looks a bit nicer too.

Im in the market for a new vehicle at the end of the year. Now the question Im going to have to make is stick with the tried and true 2015 model or go with the new 2016??

Short launch review from Offroad.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgnVwzjcl0

Honu
08-17-15, 03:36
I like the interior :)
I like this new one more than the current :) but thats me :) ahahahah

one thing I love how Toyota hold value in the off road market

just got rid of our FJC few months ago and ended up with a 4runner trail model and loving the KDSS setup very nice on the road even when loaded with camping gear !
I miss the FJC but the 4 runner is fitting us as a family better :)

some others
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-toyota-tacoma-first-drive-review

http://fishgame.com/2015/08/2016-toyota-tacoma-is-game-changer/

C-grunt
08-17-15, 04:01
Yeah the Tacoma TRD and a Trail 4Runner are my top two choices. The Tacoma is slightly favored for the cheaper price and the fact that Trail 4Runners are pretty rare.

Plus I really like that new Sand color.

Honu
08-17-15, 04:10
for us came down to camping and our dogs and other things in the rear and security of locking up and with the heat here kinda nice to have everything in air-conditioned cab

cant afford both or I would have both :) ahhahaha

SilverBullet432
08-17-15, 07:00
I drive a real pickup :jester: :sarcastic:

Nightstalker865
08-17-15, 07:12
Thanks for the video. I've been waiting to see more specs on the new model. This will be my next vehicle for sure.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/17/e0dfb1339ac3e05f59d60582bbb9eb62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-17-15, 08:01
The new Chevy Canyon is supposed to be nice also. That's in this class, right? Are these exempted or treated differently under the CAFE standard? I saw something about how pick ups are getting more popular as cars get smaller to meet CAFE standards.

I'm more of an SUV guy, but I could see something like one of these used for my kid when he starts driving.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-17-15, 09:17
I'll keep my second gen. I like the new interior and body style but for 50 more horsepower and 1 LESS ftlb of torque, I'll pass. This new engine is yet to prove it self and for those of us who use our trucks as a truck, the 1gr has a solid record.

markm
08-17-15, 09:40
The new Chevy Canyon is supposed to be nice also. That's in this class, right?

Decent looking trucks. But you're stuck with GM's pathetic quality and monumental unreliability.

glocktogo
08-17-15, 09:53
I'll keep my second gen. I like the new interior and body style but for 50 more horsepower and 1 LESS ftlb of torque, I'll pass. This new engine is yet to prove it self and for those of us who use our trucks as a truck, the 1gr has a solid record.

It needs more torque, MPG and rear drums? Seriously???

This is a significant improvement in many areas, but it's nowhere near a home run.

Alex V
08-17-15, 10:27
I test drove the '15 TRD Tacoma and though it drove well and the power felt more than adequate, the interior was just crap. Compatitivly the Canyon/Colorado which have the same power and towing capacity, had awesome interiors for roughly the same price.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-17-15, 10:48
Decent looking trucks. But you're stuck with GM's pathetic quality and monumental unreliability.

Luckily, I had Jeep Grand Cherokees before my Tahoe, so I'm pleased as punch with the engineering and reliability...

brickboy240
08-17-15, 10:50
While the smaller GM trucks have been lackluster and of iffy quality, I have run the daylights out of several full sized Silverados and Sierras and found them to be reliable and totally up to the task.

GM does two things right: the Corvette and the full-sized pickup truck. Everything else they make ranges from so-so to a total disaster.

C4IGrant
08-17-15, 12:50
These look great. Am selling my Tundra and going with one of these as soon as they are available!

C4

Voodoochild
08-17-15, 12:54
I recently traded in my 05 Taco for a 2014 Taco. I am a Toyota fan. The only thing I gripe about with Tacomas is the gas milage.

C-grunt
08-17-15, 17:24
I recently traded in my 05 Taco for a 2014 Taco. I am a Toyota fan. The only thing I gripe about with Tacomas is the gas milage.

My friend has a 14 TRD Off Road. Its an awesome truck. She averages about 19 mpg with it.

I personally like the 2nd Gen interiors. Very simple and functional.

markm
08-17-15, 17:36
Luckily, I had Jeep Grand Cherokees before my Tahoe, so I'm pleased as punch with the engineering and reliability...

I suffered with some Jeep Cherokees too. Great vehicles... but that classic American vehicle unreliability.

tb-av
08-17-15, 17:56
... and rear drums? Seriously???

I've never understood that one myself, drives me crazy but they do seem to last a long time... I bought mine with 75K and now it's almost 235K... I know I replaced them once and maybe I have replaced them twice but that's still near 80K per set.

SilverBullet432
08-17-15, 18:12
These look great. Am selling my Tundra and going with one of these as soon as they are available!

C4

Why go from full size to fun size?

Jer
08-17-15, 20:49

I made the same move years ago and couldn't be happier.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f4HU7Oae7B0/VdKO78vk7YI/AAAAAAAAM9I/2Q3pE8f8HRU/s1024-Ic42/Taco%25252017Aug2015.jpg

SilverBullet432
08-17-15, 21:58
Don't get me wrong. They are sweet trucks, I like to have the V8 power though :cool: and the legroom of course for the fam.

Honu
08-17-15, 23:08
another vid for ya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGC-jVXL_4s

SeriousStudent
08-17-15, 23:18
Interesting. I have been thinking about a new truck. One of my minions has a Taco, and it has impressed me with it's durability.

Jer
08-17-15, 23:32
Don't get me wrong. They are sweet trucks, I like to have the V8 power though :cool: and the legroom of course for the fam.

Which is why I have one of these...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mxgvtVR_yFw/U28MMOtLCTI/AAAAAAAAJi8/rLCQM7eup1E/s1024-Ic42/20140510_232701-1.jpg

Braaaaap!

Vandal
08-18-15, 00:24
This evolution of the 2nd gen Taco has me seriously interested. It's not really a new truck but a big refresh of the 2nd Gen from talking to the guys at my Toyota store this afternoon.

I was looking for a truck back in June but chose to keep my MkVI GTI. I drove Tundras, Silverados, F-150s and Ram 1500s. They are all just too damn big, they mostly suck off road and can't go down a trail without dragging the sides on everything. I drove a Chevy Colorado Z71 then heard about the new Taco. My next car will be one of those with a crew cab. Plenty of room (I'm 6-4, 235lbs), the Colorado has 300+HP, though I wish they had more torque though. They are the perfect size for those who mostly commute, play off-road on weekends and don't tow a small house everywhere. The vast majority of the full-size trucks I've sold went to people who commute in them and want a full size truck for the status symbol. And before everyone jumps my shit, yes there are people who actually "use" their full size trucks but here they are few and far between.

glocktogo
08-18-15, 06:04
This evolution of the 2nd gen Taco has me seriously interested. It's not really a new truck but a big refresh of the 2nd Gen from talking to the guys at my Toyota store this afternoon.

I was looking for a truck back in June but chose to keep my MkVI GTI. I drove Tundras, Silverados, F-150s and Ram 1500s. They are all just too damn big, they mostly suck off road and can't go down a trail without dragging the sides on everything. I drove a Chevy Colorado Z71 then heard about the new Taco. My next car will be one of those with a crew cab. Plenty of room (I'm 6-4, 235lbs), the Colorado has 300+HP, though I wish they had more torque though. They are the perfect size for those who mostly commute, play off-road on weekends and don't tow a small house everywhere. The vast majority of the full-size trucks I've sold went to people who commute in them and want a full size truck for the status symbol. And before everyone jumps my shit, yes there are people who actually "use" their full size trucks but here they are few and far between.

The article states that one of the ways they reduced drag is by reducing cab height, therefore their 6'4" tester found the headroom tight.

C4IGrant
08-18-15, 09:41

I have the Crew Max cab and the short bed. I want the long bed and over all smaller truck.

C4

C4IGrant
08-18-15, 09:42

I have a Toyota Landcruiser and a BMW wagon for legroom so that isn't a concern. ;-)

C4

C-grunt
08-18-15, 09:50
I made the same move years ago and couldn't be happier.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f4HU7Oae7B0/VdKO78vk7YI/AAAAAAAAM9I/2Q3pE8f8HRU/s1024-Ic42/Taco%25252017Aug2015.jpg

That is a REALLY good looking Tacoma. What are the details on the bumper, tires, and lift? Did you have any rubbing problems? Trimming?

brickboy240
08-18-15, 13:47
For what you pay for a Tacoma and get in gas mileage, you can easily get into a full sized V8 pickup that has a better, more spacious interior, a bigger bed and more power for pulling. It also rides much better.

C4IGrant
08-18-15, 14:01
For what you pay for a Tacoma and get in gas mileage, you can easily get into a full sized V8 pickup that has a better, more spacious interior, a bigger bed and more power for pulling. It also rides much better.

I have the Tundra with the 5.7L. It does not get the same mileage as the Tacoma. It is however somewhat close.

C4

C-grunt
08-18-15, 14:58

Depends on what you want the truck for. I dont need pulling power or huge bed space. What I want is something small enough to easily fit down the little side of the mountain trails where I like to go off roading. Plus it fits in my garage so I dont have to park it in the sun on weeks like this where its 115-117 degrees all week.

My partner has a 14 double cab TRD Off Road. She averages 19 mpg mixed driving with it. All of my other friends who have new/new-ish F150s, Silverados, and Tundras average about 14-15 mpg.

BBossman
08-18-15, 16:16
Ha! These things are misers compared to my '79 D200 Power Wagon from back in the day... mileage was measured in feet. Having been driving for damn near 40 years, I lovingly remember big power and low mpg.

SilverBullet432
08-18-15, 21:51
Whats that top of the line orange colored one? Those are cool as heck

glocktogo
08-18-15, 22:09
Whats that top of the line orange colored one? Those are cool as heck

That's the TRD Pro.

SilverBullet432
08-18-15, 22:23
Thats it! Ill hold out for the 2017 raptor doe ��

Jer
08-19-15, 12:01
That is a REALLY good looking Tacoma. What are the details on the bumper, tires, and lift? Did you have any rubbing problems? Trimming?

Thanks man. Bumper is an All-Pro (Relentless rear plate bumper that you can't see in that pic), tires are Duratracs 265/75R16 and the lift is Dakars out back (3") and the front is 5100's set at the first setting, OME 887's and a 1/2" top plate spacer to compensate for the weight of the bumper, winch and supercharger up front to level things out. The 887's were supposed to be longer than the 885's to make up for front end weight w/o the harshness of the 886's but they did't quite make up for it. I also added Light Racing upper control arms to get my alignment dialed in perfectly as I was way out of camber w/this setup. I started out a few years ago and had a desire to keep it stock. Then I found TacomaWorld.com lol My mods list is about a mile and a half long now so if you're interested and on TW here's my build page: OstrichSak's TacomaWorld.com Build Thread (https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ostrichsaks-4x4-supercharged-pyrite-mica-access-cab-build.325682/#post-8542614)

Here's how it looked the day I picked it up at the dealership w/only 22k miles on her:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w9VqTjdnx6Y/T3fuYQ-bjcI/AAAAAAAACbw/VtOEp96FceI/s1024/IMG_20120331_170434.jpg

Arik
08-19-15, 12:13
All I want is one of these.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/19/775b9ef0c5b440db7aedd2b77ca5363d.jpg

Simple, rugged, reliable

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

brickboy240
08-19-15, 15:16
I have a 2013 GMC 2500 4x4 Duramax and I get about 16 around town and 19 on the highway (when not towing).

Most friends I know with 5.3 GM pickups get 20-21 on the highway and about 16-17 around town.

It is a known fact that the 5.7 Tundra is a gas pig. People I know with one get maybe 12=14 around town on a good day. My 06 Tundra was very reliable but it got crappy mileage.

C-grunt
08-19-15, 18:12
I'm taking a buddy of to the desert this weekend for some CQB type training. Will be using my father in law's 2007 Silverado 2500 4x4 to get out there. I'm interested to see how it does on the trails with its size.

tb-av
08-19-15, 20:50
My mods list is about a mile and a half long now so if you're interested and on TW here's my build page:

Damn! that is a lot of mods.. Looks great. I thought that truck was gray when I first saw it.

Pilgrim
08-19-15, 22:16
I see a Taco in my future...

Moose-Knuckle
08-20-15, 00:33
Looking good, I'm dig'n that sand color. On my second Taco wouldn't dream of owning anything else.

Jer
08-20-15, 11:00
Damn! that is a lot of mods.. Looks great. I thought that truck was gray when I first saw it.

Thanks man. The plan was never to do that many mods and in fact it wasn't until about a year ago when I sat down to list what I've done to the truck that I actually realized just how many mods I had done. Sure didn't seem like that many but, as you can see, the list is pretty long now.

I really like this truck. It's the longest I've ever owned a vehicle other than my Supra and it's coming close to how long I owned that car. I've owned TONs of vehicles in my life and would always find something else that caught my eye months later and move on. I have had no desire to move on from this truck and I'm SO happy that I ended up deciding to buy one because it's perfect for me. It may not be the most advanced vehicle on the market with all the whiz-bang features/functions from the factory but what it does have is solid, reliable and checks all the boxes for me. There are a few features on the new model that have caught my attention but in the end I've got so much done to this truck to make it fit to my wants that I doubt those few options will be enough to make me come off of mine. Not to mention that they scrapped the supercharger so I wouldn't be able to live with a slow ass Tacoma. lol If they announce a TRD turbo kit for that Atkinson engine in the new one then I may be a potential buyer. Until then it's just window dressing on what I already have so no real desire to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

I see a Taco in my future...

I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's the 10 time #1 resale value vehicle for a reason. People complain about the used price of them.... duh! That's the point! lol They're just used to GM & Ford trucks that are less than half of their new purchase price two years later that can be had cheap by comparison but I've known people who have made the mistake of saving a few grand up front to buy a truck other than a Tacoma and then four years later had a truck worth less than HALF as much as the same Tacoma would have been. People who examine the entire financial picture will understand why the truck may cost a little bit more up front but you'll be money ahead after the first year.

Looking good, I'm dig'n that sand color. On my second Taco wouldn't dream of owning anything else.

Same. If did get another truck it would most certainly be another Tacoma. I'm sold. I've owned trucks from every manufacturer and this truck was almost created exactly for me and my needs. So for me this is the truck I will own and unless I need to pull a horse trailer or water tank the Tacoma will be the truck for me moving forward. I can take my truck to places here in the Rocky Mountains (our back yard is literally the Eastern foothills of the Rockies) that my full size trucks couldn't dream of venturing and my truck does it w/o even breaking a sweat. On top of that I'm coming up on 50k miles and I know that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of this trucks life expectancy. There's a guy on TW.com that is a contractor for FedEx and he has a 2nd gen Tacoma (like mine) that he has well over half a million miles on (I think it was like 680k at last report) and was on his way to a million miles this year. Glad to know that stories like this are commonplace with this truck and mine is but a pup. ;-)

Vandal
08-20-15, 12:16
My last few cars have been leases and I was on the verge of leasing a new Silverado 1500 Z71 in the next week or so. After having an in-depth chat with one of the guys who works for our company's Toyota store I will likely be holding off, saving more for my down payment and picking up one of the new Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Roads and drive it until either it or I die.

I'm not usually a Toyota fan, most of their product line literally makes me yawn looking at them. The Taco would do everything I need a truck to do.

brickboy240
08-20-15, 12:26
I had an 06 Tundra and it was totally reliable. The best part of Toyota's pickups IS their reliability.

The bad thing is they tend to be smaller (except for the newer Tundras), they don't get much better mileage than the domestics and you cannot pull much with the Tacoma. The back seat in the Tacoma is also on the small side - fine if you only haul small kids or maybe your dog or a few suitcases. The bed is also tiny - a no-go if you have a large ATV or need to haul larger things many times.

If you do not haul large people in the rear seats and don't pull a trailer...the Tacoma is a hell of a truck. I'd buy one long before I'd get a Nissan Frontier or Colorado.

Moose-Knuckle
08-20-15, 12:51
Same. If did get another truck it would most certainly be another Tacoma. I'm sold. I've owned trucks from every manufacturer and this truck was almost created exactly for me and my needs. So for me this is the truck I will own and unless I need to pull a horse trailer or water tank the Tacoma will be the truck for me moving forward. I can take my truck to places here in the Rocky Mountains (our back yard is literally the Eastern foothills of the Rockies) that my full size trucks couldn't dream of venturing and my truck does it w/o even breaking a sweat. On top of that I'm coming up on 50k miles and I know that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of this trucks life expectancy. There's a guy on TW.com that is a contractor for FedEx and he has a 2nd gen Tacoma (like mine) that he has well over half a million miles on (I think it was like 680k at last report) and was on his way to a million miles this year. Glad to know that stories like this are commonplace with this truck and mine is but a pup. ;-)

Same here, I own mine and don't want to jump into a new truck payment anytime soon. I hope to keep my '05 for many, many moons. I might have missed it, but could you give the details of the TOYOTA badge on your grill? I love that badge and am really glad Toyota went with it on the TRD Pro 4-Runners and Tacos.

Jer
08-20-15, 12:55
Same here, I own mine and don't want to jump into a new truck payment anytime soon. I hope to keep my '05 for many, many moons. I might have missed it, but could you give the details of the TOYOTA badge on your grill? I love that badge and am really glad Toyota went with it on the TRD Pro 4-Runners and Tacos.

I hated the look of the chrome factory grill with the slats in it as well as the chrome Toyota logo. What I did was what they call a 'Satoshi grill' named after the chap who pioneered the technique but the end result is a color keyed grill with a better looking (to me) insert and I chose to use on old Retro 'TOYOTA' grill logo that I sourced from a Toyota dealership to finish it off. I, too, am a large fan of that old logo and feel like it finishes out the front end nicely. I even considered doing the retro stripes on the side and hood but am holding off on that for now when I say the cost of the vinyl to do it. lol

Moose-Knuckle
08-20-15, 12:55
The back seat in the Tacoma is also on the small side - fine if you only haul small kids or maybe your dog or a few suitcases. The bed is also tiny - a no-go if you have a large ATV or need to haul larger things many times.

If you do not haul large people in the rear seats and don't pull a trailer...the Tacoma is a hell of a truck. I'd buy one long before I'd get a Nissan Frontier or Colorado.

My '05 is a quad-cab with a long bed. My truck is long as a Chevy Suburban and can barely fit in builder grade garages. I'm mean a c**t hair between the front and back bumpers and the wall and the garage door. My mother drives an '02 F-150 quad-cab and I have more back seat space and longer bed than her full size Ford. It is my understanding the later model F-150s have corrected the issue and have ample cab space. It took Dodge decades to learn you need more room in the back seat, their quad-cab back seat was about the same size as a Tacoma's access cab.

Ryno12
08-20-15, 13:11
I used to own a snack size Toyota. Loved the thing & it could take a beating. If I had any complaints, it would be that it was under powered & had a "cheap" feel to it.
I've since moved up to a family size truck. I'd be lost without it & I can't fathom not have a full size, four door pickup. I may entertain another Toyota someday but it'll certainly be a full size.
For me, my family, and my uses... full size is the only way to go.

Bulletdog
08-20-15, 13:17
My first car was a little '88 Toyota pick up. Crashed it 3 times and sold it with 200,000 miles on it, in need of major repairs to keep it running safely.

My second car was a '97 Tacoma 4x4. Ran that one for almost 18 years. Sold it with 239,000 miles on it and its second engine. It too was beginning to have major problems because of a lifetime of abuse, neglect and hard use.

I was all set to go get a good deal on a new '15 Taco at the end of the model year, but this thread convinced me to wait for the '16. Thank you for the info and opinions gentlemen.

I've driven all sorts of trucks, vans and other vehicles. My job puts me in all sorts of vehicles, so I really get a good cross section of experience. There is nothing like a Tacoma. Its the right amount of truck for what I need to do and it has all the right attributes that I need.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the best deal possible?

tb-av
08-20-15, 14:38
Anyone have any suggestions for getting the best deal possible?

I'd like to know that myself. I was wondering if the COSTCO route was actually a deal... or do they even still work with Toyota.

brickboy240
08-20-15, 15:14
Yeah, once you have had a full size pickup...it would be hard to go back to a Tacoma/Frontier/Colorado sized truck.

The F-150s do have a really short bed on their crew cab sizes...it mist be less than 6 feet. Terrible small. The GM crew cabs have decent sized beds and a back seat that real-sized people can sit inside.

SilverBullet432
08-20-15, 16:22
What if i told you: gm's come with a shortbed also.... The 6.5' bed is an option on most pickups. Also, ive had 6'+ tall people sit in the backseat of my F150 with the front seats slid back with no complaints of leg room.

C4IGrant
08-21-15, 08:26
I'd like to know that myself. I was wondering if the COSTCO route was actually a deal... or do they even still work with Toyota.

I am gong to go through Sams Club to buy mine, but am also going to get quotes from a couple other dealers in my area to see what they can do.

C4

Honu
08-21-15, 08:35
last rig I got through costco
this time around did the price shopping and used edmunds

the key thing of course is the dealer added accessories they TRY to get you with

one thing costco has a ton of clout with the car dealers and every car is followed up to make sure the deal was as they said if the deal does not happen the whole dealership can loose its costco deal so they do not mess around

will it be the best price ? hard to say but very close to the best often and no hassles :)

tb-av
08-21-15, 09:32
So if MSRP was say $37K and Invoice was $35K where does Costco / Sams usually fall? $36K, $34K.. less? I was just trying to get a feel for how much they say you.

GlockWRX
08-21-15, 15:09
Yeah, once you have had a full size pickup...it would be hard to go back to a Tacoma/Frontier/Colorado sized truck.

The F-150s do have a really short bed on their crew cab sizes...it mist be less than 6 feet. Terrible small. The GM crew cabs have decent sized beds and a back seat that real-sized people can sit inside.

F-150 crew cabs can be had with either a 5.5 or 6.5 ft bed, same as most other half tons (Raptors are 5.5 bed only). The back seat in more recent F-150s is huge. The back seat in my 2012 F150 is way roomier than my 2008 GMC 3500HD. And either is larger than a Tacoma, Canyon, or Dakota.

Honu
08-21-15, 15:30
I think it can vary a bit by each car ? as example my FJC when I got it because of the demand was about $500 more than a tacoma or 4runner would have been at the time

if you are serious about buying ever do the costco/edmunds/sams thing since there is no obligation to buy with any of those ?
be ready I got a ton of emails and calls from all the places I put in to buy but I expect that and actually took that as a sign they were on top of that

pulled up two of the replies I got on my recent 4 runner hunt I basically hit every dealer in the valley with at least 3 requests on models they had
example MSRP $36980 price was $33,935 another one was MSRP $39,194 and price was $35,919

while I could get close I am sure or maybe even match if I haggled and haggled for a while with the guys you get when you walk in I hate car dealers and the whole stupid game
still had to play the dealer installed items game which is basically stand your ground refuse the items :)
I HATE CAR SALESMAN

hope that helps :)

So if MSRP was say $37K and Invoice was $35K where does Costco / Sams usually fall? $36K, $34K.. less? I was just trying to get a feel for how much they say you.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-21-15, 19:02
I have a Toyota Landcruiser and a BMW wagon for legroom so that isn't a concern. ;-)

C4

How has that Landcruiser been working for you? They have amazing resale value when I can find one out here.

C4IGrant
08-21-15, 19:59
How has that Landcruiser been working for you? They have amazing resale value when I can find one out here.

Awesome. I would buy another one. There is really only one other comparable SUV out there and they aren't know for reliability.

C4

Bulletdog
08-21-15, 20:06
I think it can vary a bit by each car ? as example my FJC when I got it because of the demand was about $500 more than a tacoma or 4runner would have been at the time

if you are serious about buying ever do the costco/edmunds/sams thing since there is no obligation to buy with any of those ?
be ready I got a ton of emails and calls from all the places I put in to buy but I expect that and actually took that as a sign they were on top of that

pulled up two of the replies I got on my recent 4 runner hunt I basically hit every dealer in the valley with at least 3 requests on models they had
example MSRP $36980 price was $33,935 another one was MSRP $39,194 and price was $35,919

while I could get close I am sure or maybe even match if I haggled and haggled for a while with the guys you get when you walk in I hate car dealers and the whole stupid game
still had to play the dealer installed items game which is basically stand your ground refuse the items :)
I HATE CAR SALESMAN

hope that helps :)

It does help. Thanks for the insight.

tb-av
08-21-15, 21:00
I really like this truck.

Yeah... I think that may be the understatement of the year. I've got a '99 4cyl 233K I'll trade you. You need to feed your addiction to create..... Hell, you should take that thing to the State Fair and sell rides around the grounds for $5 like they do with chopper rides.

tb-av
08-21-15, 21:17
Awesome. I would buy another one. There is really one one other comparable SUV out there and they aren't know for reliability.

Land Cruiser has always been my dream vehicle. Out of my pay grade.

Jer
08-21-15, 21:50
Yeah... I think that may be the understatement of the year. I've got a '99 4cyl 233K I'll trade you. You need to feed your addiction to create..... Hell, you should take that thing to the State Fair and sell rides around the grounds for $5 like they do with chopper rides.

ROFL

I think it's a sickness man. You should see my past vehicles if you think this mod list is extensive. This was going to be the one I let be. Just buy a plane old Tacoma w/o anything fancy and leave well enough alone, right? Wrong!

It is an addiction... neigh. A sickness.

C-grunt
08-21-15, 22:13
I think Costco and the like use Tru Car to get their prices. If so it will be on the low side of the average selling price of the vehicle. If you found a dealer that is really willing to deal then you could get a slightly lower price but using those services you definitely will not overpay.

Bulletdog
08-21-15, 22:42
I think Costco and the like use Tru Car to get their prices. If so it will be on the low side of the average selling price of the vehicle. If you found a dealer that is really willing to deal then you could get a slightly lower price but using those services you definitely will not overpay.

Seems to me with all the rave reviews the 2016's are getting, that the dealers might not be all that motivated to bargain. That whole supply and demand thing…

A few years back my wife was looking to get a Prius for work. They wanted to charge us $3000 over sticker. We did not buy a Prius. He had it sold to someone else before we drove off the lot.

Vandal
08-21-15, 23:06

<--- Car salesman who set up the Costco program at his store. Costco is a pre-negotiated price between the dealership and Costco. It is usually under the invoice in into the hold back. On more popular or hard to get cars, it won't be as low. It is designed that you submit your info through the Costco Auto Buying program and the dealership will contact you to confirm what you're looking for to and set up a test drive appointment. You go to the dealership, pick out your car and they provide you the Costco pricing structure on that vehicle. You will get all incentives you qualify for. Sometimes Costco even kicks you back a gift card.

True Car is their own service for pricing that no one has follow. At the end of the day the dealership decides if they want to take the deal or not. I've elected to not take a lot of slim or loser deals on the brand I represent because I know I will get more money and less a$$pain from other customers waiting to buy that car.

When the 2016 Tacoma hits the lots, don't expect dealers to be super keen to drop the price much on a brand new ride that will sell like Monster Energy to Marines.

C-grunt
08-22-15, 02:23
Vandal. Do you think I would get a better deal on a new vehicle through Costco or through the USAA car buying program?

C4IGrant
08-22-15, 07:47
Land Cruiser has always been my dream vehicle. Out of my pay grade.

I had owned a Nissan Pathfinder and currently own a Tundra crew max limited. The Pathfinder was a pretty good SUV, but he Tundra is what got me hooked on Toyota. This thing is a tank and is what I intend my son to use when he starts driving.

C4

Vandal
08-22-15, 10:30
USAA has partnered with TrueCar for their pricing structure. Both Costco and TrueCar are extremely competitive with pricing. I'd shop it from both angles and see which one shakes out to be the lower price. It might be a hundred or so bucks based on my experience, but that $100 is more ammo or a nice dinner with my girlfriend.

My car buying tip of the weekend, your experience in the dealership is entirely up to you. Also, the younger sales staff tend to be more fun to work with.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-22-15, 12:02
I had owned a Nissan Pathfinder and currently own a Tundra crew max limited. The Pathfinder was a pretty good SUV, but he Tundra is what got me hooked on Toyota. This thing is a tank and is what I intend my son to use when he starts driving.

C4

I've had jeep grand Cherokees and you have to use "engineering" to describe them- great ergonomics, horrible reliability. I don't see fiat fixing that. Last two cars were Escalades bought from relatives. Great for moving mass quantities, rims an tires are a joke.

Looking for something with enough room, ability to play in the mountains and be comfortable and not be flashy. Land Cruiser fits that pretty well. Wife has an X5 50 that is insanely fast, but not that big.

Here in Colorado it seems like Tahoe and subarus are really popular for getting up skiing. I70 beats the carp out of cars.

How did you decide to go with the Land Cruiser over the Sequoia?

C4IGrant
08-22-15, 12:26
I've had jeep grand Cherokees and you have to use "engineering" to describe them- great ergonomics, horrible reliability. I don't see fiat fixing that. Last two cars were Escalades bought from relatives. Great for moving mass quantities, rims an tires are a joke.

Looking for something with enough room, ability to play in the mountains and be comfortable and not be flashy. Land Cruiser fits that pretty well. Wife has an X5 50 that is insanely fast, but not that big.

Here in Colorado it seems like Tahoe and subarus are really popular for getting up skiing. I70 beats the carp out of cars.

How did you decide to go with the Land Cruiser over the Sequoia?

The tundra and sequoia are basically the same animal (meaning truck like ride and handling). The LC rides like a sedan and handles corners at a much faster speed than my Tundra can. The crawl features, locking diff, etc are what make it so capable. The negatives (for some folks) will be the jump seats. My boys love them, but they take up space in the rear and it would be nice to easily remove them.

What is funny about the LC is that they are so uncommon to see that people that "know" what they are looking at always come up and ask questions about it.

C4

glocktogo
08-22-15, 12:29
Seems to me with all the rave reviews the 2016's are getting, that the dealers might not be all that motivated to bargain. That whole supply and demand thing…

A few years back my wife was looking to get a Prius for work. They wanted to charge us $3000 over sticker. We did not buy a Prius. He had it sold to a complete idiot before we drove off the lot.

FIFY.