PDA

View Full Version : DRIVING THROUGH INDIANA (AR-Pistol) - Indiana Residents

U&A
08-19-15, 13:05
I have to visit a customer in Indiana tomorrow. I Always have my AR Pistol in my truck with me loaded and some extra mags. I live in Michigan and we have reciprocity with indiana as far as carry licences. I am having A heck of a time finding any info on In.GOV about weather I can drive in Indiana with my loaded AR pistol in my truck the same as I do in michigan.

can anyone help?

EDIT: 9mm AR, 8.5" barrel, sig brace, 32rd mags, overall length is something like 23".

Kodiak
08-19-15, 13:55
best advice call the state Highway patrol and ask them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

U&A
08-19-15, 14:22
I understand that. Just wondering if there is any residents that could help me out before I bother a state police officer.

Kodiak
08-19-15, 14:37
what I'm trying to say is go straight to the source. A resident may accidently misinterprete a part of the law that gets your firearm confiscated and you in jail. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and can be very expensive to boot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

U&A
08-19-15, 14:38
Yes, Thank you. I understand.

U&A
08-19-15, 14:47
I never said i was going to "take someones word for it" and leave it at that. I am sure that someone would be glad to help me out as I would them if they were driving through Michigan. I simply wanted to see what would be said about it and im not going to say " officer, the guy in "M4carbine said i could". just like if I was to ask a friend face to face what they know about it.

thanks though.

Ryno12
08-19-15, 14:58
Whenever I travel, I download the info from each state here. Just click on the state that you're inquiring about. It's just the basics but you can find more info from links in the PDF.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You can also check out the states DOJ site for CCW laws. I'd pass on contacting the Highway Patrol. No thanks.

U&A
08-19-15, 15:17
Whenever I travel, I download the info from each state here. Just click on the state that you're inquiring about. It's just the basics but you can find more info from links in the PDF.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You can also check out the states DOJ site for CCW laws. I'd pass on contacting the Highway Patrol. No thanks.

thank you for the link. I did see that sight and it has a lot of info. the one thing that is doesn't have is definition of a pistol in Indiana. I did see that I can carry A pistol in the car loaded no problem. just nothing yet about what they consider a "pistol". I may have found what im looking for hear though.https://www.atf.gov/file/58376/download

Now for the Mag capacity.

thei3ug
08-19-15, 15:34
If you have reciprocity you may carry in car. The law is not specific on open/concealed.

U&A
08-19-15, 15:42
If you have reciprocity you may carry in car. The law is not specific on open/concealed.

Correct but the fact that it's an A.R. pistol is why am researching. Some states have different definitions of a pistol and also magazine capacity. Reciprocity just recognizes the license that's all.

I think I found my answer and I have not found anything about magazine restrictions thank you for the help everyone.

Iraqgunz
08-19-15, 15:54
Moved since this has nothing to do with AR's in general.

U&A
08-19-15, 16:56
Thats fine. It is about transporting my A.R. pistol

Gewehr3
08-21-15, 08:58
Probably too late for info. As long as you have a valid handgun permit from another state, you are gtg. Never hurts to be be discreet though.

U&A
08-21-15, 09:04
Probably too late for info. As long as you have a valid handgun permit from another state, you are gtg. Never hurts to be be discreet though.

thank you. I did end up finding the answers I need. I took the drive yesterday and all was good.

thanks for the help.

RND
08-22-15, 06:22
Finally, an answer.