PDA

View Full Version : Best running shoes?

jpmuscle
08-21-15, 17:19
I leave for training in the not to distant future and I'm looking for a couple pairs of quality running shoes and need some input if anyone can offer. Price range is irrelevant since I've spent a mini fortune already on vertx pants, polos, etc.

So I want something with excellent support (cross training style perhaps?), lightweight, and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor PT activities. Breath ability wouldn't be bad either since it's hot and stupid humid where I'll be. Last thing they need to be all black.

So thoughts? Thanks gents

El Vaquero
08-21-15, 17:47
I just picked up a pair of Salomon X-Scream 3D. I was looking for a cross training type shoe and these fit the bill. Been fairly pleased so far. I've always purchased Asics before but wanted to try something different.

Mo_Zam_Beek
08-21-15, 19:21
<-- Casual runner (25+ per week), but nursing a femoral stress fracture now.

Go to an actual running footwear store where they watch your stride (neutral / pronate / supinate) and will discuss things like heal to toe drop height, supportive / corrective / neutral shoes.

Try on several based on their recommendations.

I like Brooks and my current ride is the "Transcend" model. The only problem with Brooks is they tend to change the model a little bit every 6 months or so and sometimes it is a real change. So if you find one you like buy it and then when you reach 250 - 350 miles google the exact same thing and you will find it for @ half of what you originally paid for it - then buy 2 pair. That way you have shoes that you know you like for a good little while.

fixit69
08-21-15, 19:26
Maybe not what your looking for but try on a pair of cloud nimbus(?) asics. It's a running (not cross training) shoe, but it's one of the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned.

TXBK
08-21-15, 19:28
Go to an actual running footwear store where they watch your stride (neutral / pronate / supinate) and will discuss things like heal to toe drop height, supportive / corrective / neutral shoes.

Yes, that will get you the best shoe for you.

chuckman
08-21-15, 20:02
Running or triathlon shop, get professionally fitted. If they do their job they will steer you to the right shoes without regard to price (my 'perfect' shoe is a Brooks Addiction, one of he lesser expensive).

MountainRaven
08-21-15, 20:08
I think the hard part is going to be finding a pair not merely in black but with any conservative color.

Happily, Salomon has their Forces line-up, which consists of their usual hiking and trailrunning shoes and boots, but in subdued colors, sans reflective bits, and other small modifications to make them better suited for military and LE use.

I also saw that Platatac has started carrying a brand called Lalo Tactical. It looks like some of their shoes might be right up your alley, being available in black and being designed for things like crossfit.

tb-av
08-21-15, 20:13
I always liked Asics and they have an all black model but it's not high end. It is a breathable model though.

Just get some dye. I don't see why you can't dye most any color you get

Now Asics may have an upper line trail in a gray.

Pilgrim
08-21-15, 20:42
I had some foot problems last month, and went to Academy Sports 3 times trying on every running shoe in the place in an attempt to find something that didn't hurt my feet. As a last resort I talked to the head shoe person who watched my stride and suggested some Asics, she was right on, they all fit perfectly as a brand, chose a model that had the least blingy color to it. Very pleased.

SilverBullet432
08-21-15, 21:14
Running or triathlon shop, get professionally fitted. If they do their job they will steer you to the right shoes without regard to price (my 'perfect' shoe is a Brooks Addiction, one of he lesser expensive).

They actually have shops that specialize in running shoes? :blink:

rero360
08-21-15, 21:20
I'm similar in that when I went to get new gym/running shoes, nothing felt comfortable except the Asics, the new Nikes are stupid light weight but they feel horrible on my feet. The balls of my feet are really wide and I have a narrow heel. The best I've found so far for leg day is those vibram 5 finger shoes, but with my weird toes they're not super comfortable.

GotAmmo
08-21-15, 21:38
<-- Casual runner (25+ per week), but nursing a femoral stress fracture now.

I like Brooks and my current ride is the "Transcend" model. The only problem with Brooks is they tend to change the model a little bit every 6 months or so and sometimes it is a real change. So if you find one you like buy it and then when you reach 250 - 350 miles google the exact same thing and you will find it for @ half of what you originally paid for it - then buy 2 pair. That way you have shoes that you know you like for a good little while.

I like the high tech foot mapping as well but I've worn Brooks Adrenaline ever since I took that step and got a Gait Analysis and haven't had any complaints.

bp7178
08-21-15, 21:57
25-35 miles per week, could manage a sub 19 min 5k and hover about a 1:33:00 half marathon.

Hoka One One Cliftons. Its like running on grass. Low offset, so they encourage mid-foot strikes, but are soft feeling. Perfect for pavement.

MegademiC
08-21-15, 22:43
I would suggest 5-fingers, but you need to work into them and build up muscles or you risk injury.

I used they most protective ones they have for a tough mudder and they were decent at protecting from gravel and sharp rocks.

Like I said though, if you don't have time to work into them, forget it.
I worked into them over a month and around mi 10 my foot began to fatigue.

maximus83
08-21-15, 23:02
Trail running in wet NW conditions, and cross training. I've been using Saucony Xodus 5.0 GTX with great results, and my next pair a foot doctor suggested either another pair of those or the Saucony Peregrine 5 trail runners. A little spendy but I have high arches that cause excess supination (ankles tend to roll outward) and these neutral trail running shoes have eliminated shin splints and foot pain. These are great quality shoes with great support.

jpmuscle
08-21-15, 23:49
Ok well I didn't know this subject was so complicated lol. I have shoe fly store about an hour away from me that I think does the analysis type stuff so I'll pay them a visit and make a list of what you guys have mentioned this far for reference.

Also unfortunately I don't have a choice in the color and the 5 toe shoes mega mentioned are a no go per my agency.

johnson
08-22-15, 00:27
I third or fourth the suggestion of going to a specialty running shoe store where they can recommend something specific to you. The people working there are usually runners themselves and not just someone to bring you a size and color that you want.

t1tan
08-22-15, 01:09

Yep, many with several treadmills with cameras to evaluate gait, etc, pressure pads to show pronation, supination, heat molding footbeds.

Get fitted if possible, try on lots of pairs, read objective reviews, etc. Might seem excessive to some but it will be worth it, especially if you have any issues. Early years of a lifetime of ice hockey in pain, this is how I buy any footwear to avoid that feeling again, width issues are a nightmare for me I do not want to relive.

Moose-Knuckle
08-22-15, 01:10
Dude, you used the term "best" on M4C of all places! :jester:

As others have stated go to a running store 1.) for a professional fit (all brands and models fit differently), 2.) they have a large selection that you can try on and wear around the store to see how they fit/feel. This may not be so easy if you live in a more rural area. In my experience Saucony and Brooks are to running shoes as KAC and Noveske are to ARs.

jpmuscle
08-22-15, 06:11
Dude, you used the term "best" on M4C of all places! :jester:

As others have stated go to a running store 1.) for a professional fit (all brands and models fit differently), 2.) they have a large selection that you can try on and wear around the store to see how they fit/feel. This may not be so easy if you live in a more rural area. In my experience Saucony and Brooks are to running shoes as KAC and Noveske are to ARs.
Touché. Atleast I didn't start another lube thread, ha.

chuckman
08-22-15, 06:52

About 4 within 10 miles of each other. It is a bit much, but we have a big tri/running/adventure race community around here.

GTF425
08-22-15, 11:51

I buy my shoes at Fleet Feet in Raleigh. They actually let me go for a run after being fit to make sure they were right for me. I never knew about places like that until a triathlete friend of mine brought me there.

A good shoe fit goes a long way. I never knew just how important shoe design is until getting the right pair.

docsherm
08-22-15, 12:23
I have used Asics for about 20 years. I have tried many but always come back to them.

That being said I do like the Barefoot line of shoes that are out now. I have several pairs of Merrells and like them a great deal. They have Trail rated Barefoot shoes also. Something to think about.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/barefoot/

TehLlama
08-24-15, 13:40
As a classic over-pronator, my Asics Gel Kahana 4's have worked extremely well for me. I keep picking up the Black/Grey ones from Big5 when they're under $50 a set, and they've been lasting me 12-15 months on average (and I keep getting them).

Podiatrist and physical therapy visits for my knees are expensive, these are comparatively cheap, and the color palette for that particular setup works well for literally everything.

Digital_Damage
08-24-15, 15:47
I'm a big time Brooks fan.

Swstock
08-24-15, 15:53
This is like asking "what's the best handgun"

The answer is going to be the same also "get out and try some"

Ive tried brooks, transcend, asics, and new balance. I always stick to the NB 1260 series.

jpmuscle
08-24-15, 19:12
Well went to shoe fly and after much trial and error we settled on putting me in a pair of Brooks adrenaline 15s. Ended up having to order them online from Brooks directly to get the color I needed so hopefully they come in before I leave for orientation. Ordered two pair as well since I got the choice between wearing duty boots or athletic shoes for non PT related activities.

Thanks for all the input. I honestly didn't know such shoe entities existed so I'm sure feet will be grateful over the next 7 months.

hatidua
08-24-15, 21:40

polydeuces
08-25-15, 07:28
Allow time for breaking in.
This will differ from shoe to shoe, some are worse than others, but best to deal with that before training -if possible.

jpmuscle
08-25-15, 12:05
Allow time for breaking in.
This will differ from shoe to shoe, some are worse than others, but best to deal with that before training -if possible.
Understood. Hopefully I'll get some time in them over this weekend. I got barely two weeks notice so it's been a bit of a scramble getting things in order.

Turnkey11
11-21-15, 09:31
I went off the beaten path recently and picked up a pair of shoes made by Skora (http://skorarunning.com/men.html). I have a narrow heel and wide toes, this shoe fits like a sock. Supposedly they are known for very durable soles as well, some people have reportedly logged 500+ miles on them before replacement. $70+ if you sign up for www.promotive.com, need to be vetted with a .gov or .mil email to shop at discount.

BIGUGLY
11-21-15, 23:03
I can recommend Altra, especially if you have a wider foot. I have had good luck and switched my everyday shoes to them as well.