PDA

View Full Version : V7 Ti trigger/hammer pins technical

WS6
08-21-15, 22:32
I have compared the elastic modulus and the tensile strength of Grave V Ti and 4140 steel. The Ti is actually better on paper, but how does this translate in person? Is this a "Gucci" part, or are Ti trigger/hammer pins AT LEAST as durable as the one's that ship with Geissele and other high quality FCG's?

GH41
08-22-15, 07:40
While you have your books open see if you can find how TI works as a bearing surface against tool steel. Assume no lube. Thanks

Hkbeltfed
08-22-15, 08:37
IIRC, it galls.

How could they not be Gucci? Geissele pins are great and they weigh almost nothing to begin with. What's next, Ti roll pins?

tom12.7
08-22-15, 19:05
I wouldn't be so confident that V7 pins are an upgrade. Other materials are available that could be considered better, but to what cost? What issues are you trying to resolve? Hammer pin issues in 9mm? Other wear or distortion/displacement issue? Would the end use require a C2 pin for best results? Or something else?

jerrysimons
08-22-15, 19:56
I don't think they have much of a purpose other than a tiny weight reduction (.1oz) meant to be used in concert with all other V7 lower parts.

redmist
08-24-15, 18:45
I think they would be terrible as trigger/hammer pins.

samuse
08-24-15, 20:46
I'm not sure about those pins but the ti I worked with in a fab shop was a chipping, galling, cracking, warping SOB to work with.

H Wyman
08-25-15, 08:43
IIRC, it galls.

Interesting claim given that the pins are treated with Ionbond DLC (Decobond FDE-STD-595B), there's no Ti to steel or Ti to aluminum contact.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your memory failed you.

redmist
08-25-15, 10:37
Interesting claim given that the pins are treated with Ionbond DLC (Decobond FDE-STD-595B), there's no Ti to steel or Ti to aluminum contact.

That right there could make a difference. Ti tends to be a little "Gummy."

tom12.7
08-25-15, 17:46
What is the issue that these pins are supposed to improve upon?

jerrysimons
08-25-15, 18:48
I really don think there is any point to these other than to save .1oz without sacrificing durability, which is the question to ask, IMO. Does the material change as treated function then same as steel trigger pins?

H Wyman
08-25-15, 22:00

Nothing... They're just an option if your looking for something different.

Hkbeltfed
08-26-15, 05:17

I've claimed nothing about the pins. Your reading has failed you. This is from the post above mine...

While you have your books open see if you can find how TI works as a bearing surface against tool steel. Assume no lube. Thanks

Joelski
08-26-15, 06:48
Not to sound snobby, but a snob steel in something like BG42, or Stellite 6k would be far, far snobbier than run-of-the-mill Ti. :)

PS: I've never heard of pins actually failing. Is this real?

tom12.7
08-27-15, 17:04
It's mostly a concern with 9mm hammer pins without ramped carriers and using reciprocating masses in the lower region.

AR15barrels
09-16-15, 02:30

The removal of excess cash from the pockets of the purchasers.

lysander
09-16-15, 18:23
Seeing as the best pins are made from tool steel, titanium would be a step down in strength....

Titanium is not stronger than good steels.