PDA

View Full Version : Really considering rmr for optic on backpack AR, feedback?

JG007
08-22-15, 16:10
Normally I use aimpoints

Wake27
08-22-15, 16:28
Can't help much but keep in mind Vortex has a few competing options. They're releasing two RMR style red dots soon (one specifically for pistols, the other for long guns) that will be sub $300 I think, in addition to the one they already have out that is more. I considered putting an RMR on one or two guns for a long time but with these, that possibility is much more likely. Just some options to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hochsitz
08-22-15, 17:17
I like the idea of a backpack AR. I just did my first SBR and am looking at that possibility myself. Are you planning this to be a just in case you need it gun or a way to carry your primary weapon? If the goal is backpacking with minimal weight and maximum function, maybe iron sights and some other optic like binos or a spotter for target ID would fit the bill. I'm a huge fan of optics but scopes are heavy and red dots need batteries. Can you elaborate on your goal?

JG007
08-22-15, 17:32
Low profile & primary.

10.75 ", law stock, custom made backpack

I like the idea of a backpack AR. I just did my first SBR and am looking at that possibility myself. Are you planning this to be a just in case you need it gun or a way to carry your primary weapon? If the goal is backpacking with minimal weight and maximum function, maybe iron sights and some other optic like binos or a spotter for target ID would fit the bill. I'm a huge fan of optics but scopes are heavy and red dots need batteries. Can you elaborate on your goal?

HardToHandle
08-22-15, 22:59
Had an vintage 2012 RMR LED on a pistol. Based on the field of view and color shift, it would not be my choice. I prefer the Aimpoint Micro.

edgy12
08-22-15, 23:50
I went back and forth a bit on an optic for a PS90. After trying both I greatly preferred an Aimpoint micro to the RMR.

abso
08-23-15, 00:18
I went back and forth a bit on an optic for a PS90. After trying both I greatly preferred an Aimpoint micro to the RMR.

I want to love my rmr06, but a drop of rain will defeat the optic completely. Also had it turn off/on when I shot it. I reseated the battery and it seems better, need more time with it to make sure it's gtg.

Cool idea though , post pics if you build it.

jaxman7
08-23-15, 14:25
I want to love my rmr06, but a drop of rain will defeat the optic completely. Also had it turn off/on when I shot it. I reseated the battery and it seems better, need more time with it to make sure it's gtg.

Cool idea though , post pics if you build it.

abso,

You probably have one of the older RMRs. I had to send my 06 back to Trijicon for the same problem as you. The battery contacts were replaced. Get on their website and get a return authorization # and then ship it out. My turnaround time was super fast, slightly over 2 weeks.

-Jax

abso
08-23-15, 19:19
abso,

You probably have one of the older RMRs. I had to send my 06 back to Trijicon for the same problem as you. The battery contacts were replaced. Get on their website and get a return authorization # and then ship it out. My turnaround time was super fast, slightly over 2 weeks.

-Jax

I'll try that out. Thanks for the info. I was hesitating about doing so since it seemed like a pain and it's not really on my main upper. It seems like you had a quick and painless rma process though. Thanks again

Don Robison
08-23-15, 19:31
I've been running one on a 9" AAC .300blk upper and love it. I also have one on an Uzi and several pistols. My oldest one was a 2010 model on a dedicated training gun that I beat up pretty bad. I had to send it in 2012 for repair, but other than that early one I haven't had any issues with the six I'm using. For what they are I like them.

Pikey
08-30-15, 00:26
I have one on a 10.5" pistol. I love it. Simple light weight always on always the correct brightness. Replace the battery once a year and forget about it.