PDA

View Full Version : changed primers to s/b... any ideas??

texasgunhand
08-22-15, 17:17
I thought I would try some S/B primers since I can get them half price over cci small pistol... Loaded up 50 one day and they seemed to shoot fine but seemed under powered..Getting sooty brass like it's undercharged but its the same charge as normal 4.2 of win 231.

4.1 gives me sooty cases and 4.2 seals the Chamber with brass coming out clean with CCI primers.

Loaded up 100 with s/b primers at 4.2 and they even felt under powered and came out black and sooty like a 4.0 charge.

So i checked my uniflow,checked my scales both the digital and 10/10 and everythings the same. Can changing primers have that much effect on an established load? I've shot hundreds of the cci with 4.2 of win231 and the brass always comes out nice and clean. With the s/b primers Iam going to have to wet tumble them to get them shiny again,, walnut media isn't going to get it its so bad.

Just fyi, my normal load for 9mm is 4.2 of win.231 useing a 124gr berrys plated bullet and a cci small pistol primer set at 1.150 per winchester data. The only thing different is the S/B primers.

At the end of each shooting day I shoot 5 rounds of federal allum.case fmj to clear the barrel if any lead gets in from the berry bullets. Normally I don't really feel any difference in them and my load with the cci primers,but today with the s/b primers there was a difference between those and my loads , mine felt weak,normally they don't.

Any ideas?? maybe I will have to bump it to 4.3 with the s/b primers next time. They shoot well but somethings wrong. I've seen bigeds primer pics so I know there's a difference in primers,this is my first time useing a non american made primer. I have about 1800 left, may have to increase my charge to compensate maybe.

I weigh every 5th or 10th round and my uniflow stays on track very very rarely it will through a 10th under but that's normally me not operating the handle smoothly.

nate89
08-22-15, 17:36
That's interesting. I switched to the S/B from CCI about six months ago (based also on cost). I bought a few to make sure they worked, then me and a few friends did a 50k order from Widners. I shoot a 127 grain coated lead and a plated 124 with 4.0 grains of Titegroup. I notice no difference at all between the different primers. I even found a box of CCI primers in the back of my cupboard and loaded them up and ran some through the chronograph. There was no difference at all between the rounds with the CCi and the S/B primers. I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has seen a change like the OPs.

texasgunhand
08-22-15, 17:54
The only thing I see different is the primers seem a little softer than the cci when seating,, I noticed that I flatten them a bit useing to much seating force. Even when I ease up on the seating pressure it still leaves a small flat spot on the primer. I never noticed this with the cci.

markm
08-22-15, 22:31
Could be cup size. Smaller cup leaves more room for seating deformation. For pistol... and price savings... as long as they run, who cares?

black22rifle
08-23-15, 01:44
I too have noticed that they seem under powered compared to cci 500. I was loading 4.6gr win 231 with a 115gr plated bullet @ 1.100" OAL and they were shooting very mild compared to when I used 4.4-4.5gr 231 with cci 500 primers.

MegademiC
08-23-15, 08:18
I just bought 2k of them. Should start loading them today, so next weekend I will be able to comment on it. Interesting though.

Kain
08-23-15, 08:53
Without playing with some of them, my thoughts would be that the CCI primers could be hotter. Simply not all manufacturers make everything the same. Wouldn't be the first time I saw variance between two manufacturers of primers.

Bimmer
08-23-15, 13:57
Loaded up 100 with s/b primers at 4.2 and they even felt under powered and came out black and sooty like a 4.0 charge...

At the end of each shooting day I shoot 5 rounds of federal allum.case fmj to clear the barrel if any lead gets in from the berry bullets. Normally I don't really feel any difference in them and my load with the cci primers,but today with the s/b primers there was a difference between those and my loads , mine felt weak,normally they don't.

Any ideas??

It's nice of you to share your feelings, but some data would be better... How about chronographing some of these?

Can you really "feel" a difference between 4.1 and 4.2 grains of powder?!

texasgunhand
08-23-15, 20:05
No,but I know 4.1 and lower sooots up cases and 4.2 and up doesnt. I said I could feel the difference in factory ammo and these loads with s/b primmers. I cant tell the difference in the same load with cci primers over factory. It says that in your quote of my O/P...

I don't have a crony yet. If I did I wouldnt be posting I would know..Don't need it to know these rounds with s/b are weaker than the hundreds of the same charge with cci primers I've been shooting 2or 3 times a week since the end of last year..

Are you loading s/b primers? The post is for people that are having the same problem with a known round that has changed from useing s/b primers in a pistol load. If I have to rework a new load useing more powder which is a lot harder to get , iam not saving much ,I'll just go back to cci primer which are easy to find....

texasgunhand
08-23-15, 21:01
I too have noticed that they seem under powered compared to cci 500. I was loading 4.6gr win 231 with a 115gr plated bullet @ 1.100" OAL and they were shooting very mild compared to when I used 4.4-4.5gr 231 with cci 500 primers.

Exactly, I was thinking it would take upping it to 4.4 from 4.2 but that's max charge with124gr berrys. Shouldnt all of a sudden need max charge just to seal the chamber when 4.2 has been working great.

MegademiC
08-23-15, 21:38
I just loaded a few hundred, had some issues seating them, but found the tab that keeps the case in place moved out just enough to botch a few. After an adjustment, I didn't scrap anymore, but they still didn't seat as well as the winchester primers I used before. Hope to put rounds downrange this weekend.

texasgunhand
08-24-15, 15:06
Great,,let us know how it goes. I had zero failures ,they all went bang. Iam thinking there just not as hot as the cci ive been useing. They also seemed softer than the cci. As I stated I keeped flattening them, which I never noticed before.