PDA

View Full Version : Recc a comp pistol

stx.dead.I
08-23-15, 00:10
Guys I've been getting into competitive shooting. I am starting up a 3 gun team and we get free .40 ammo. I'm pretty sure I will want to go .40 for this reason. We are shooting glock 22 right now but I don't really like the trigger (all the travel)nor the sights (how blocky and big the dots are) This will be purely for target/competitive shooting.

Some of the events we will be getting muddy/completely submerged on some stations so dirty reliability is essential.

I really like the 2011s but am open to others. Really like the crisp short triggers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Up1911fan
08-23-15, 02:10
G35, new sights, trigger kit?

Bluedreaux
08-23-15, 17:15
What 3gun stage completely submerges your pistol?

(ETA:in a plastic gun)I'd recommend a 5" M&P with a SSS magwell, TTI extensions and a FSS trigger.

wrx04
08-23-15, 19:49
http://stiguns.com/guns/dvc-limited/

Free ammo makes up for the cost:cool:

samuse
08-23-15, 20:06
If you're really gonna be getting that muddy/submerged, stick with 22. Put on some sights you like and some skateboard tape.

Stay off the 2011 if you're going to be shooting free ammo from somewhere.

MegademiC
08-23-15, 21:33
Why not buy a race-gun trigger and some new sights?

I wouldn't carry a light short trigger, but for a pure comp gun, go for it, imo.

stx.dead.I
08-23-15, 21:47
What 3gun stage completely submerges your pistol?

(ETA:in a plastic gun)I'd recommend a 5" M&P with a SSS magwell, TTI extensions and a FSS trigger.
Well it's not just three gun it's multiple comps. Including an annual SWAT competition where we have to swim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

AKDoug
08-24-15, 01:33
Can you give us any idea what division in three gun you expect to compete and what the Swat comp rules are going to be? Sounds like you need to be sticking with a fairly stock gun. If that was the case, I would be all over a Glock 35 with sights that I like and a trigger that meets the rule requirements of the competitions you will be entering.

montrala
08-24-15, 04:28
If you do not use handloaded/custom .40SW ammo I advise against STI/SV or similar "1911" based platform. Factory .40SW rounds OAL is little to short for reliable feeding and bullet shape does not help a bit. Been there, done that. Unless your "free ammo" will be made to work in those pistols I would suggest sticking to some modern designs that "eat everything". Obviously Glock is most popular choice. If you really do not like it, try HK VP40 - with Taylor Freelance +5 pads and magwell those should work quite good. There are options on trigger (ultra match springs set or Grayguns trigger job), but it comes damn good from factory. Dawson competition sights are available.

Dionysusigma
08-24-15, 05:20
I'll throw in a slightly different suggestion for the Hk USP40 Tactical. Adjustable sights, accurate O-ringed barrel, USP Match trigger, and dead-nuts reliable.

montrala
08-24-15, 08:59
USP series are dead nuts reliable, that is true. I shot USP Expert .40SW in ISPC Standard Division (equivalent of USPSA Limited Division) for several years. I modified trigger to be really close to competition 2011 (SA-only, 2mm reset, no pre-travel, 3lb). But there is one thing wrong with it. In USP series (full size) HK uses very clever, floating recoil system, that works in 3 stages. It is very good at mitigating recoil and promoting accuracy, however i makes slide cycle slower and front sight tracking harder than on pistols with more traditional recoil system (even if using multi spring assembly like STI Recoil Master or Sprinco - because those are not of floating type). This makes shooting USP full size pistols fast harder than other designs. It is not as evident in 9mm pistols, because those barely have enough oompf to make floating recoil system to work in full extent, bu you can notice it in .40SW. Actually popular way to make USP full size competitive (Bruce Gray used it for example when he was shooting for HK) is make recoil system non-floating and use only primary spring to work. This however can lead to some problem with case ejecting, because ejector length is calculate with additional way, that floating recoil assembly moves back with slide and barrel together, in mind. This is one of reasons why P30 and HK45 (and now VP) series are much better pistols to use in dynamic competitions like IPSC/USPSA, IDPA or 3Gun that USPf series ever was. At least this is my experience and some of my friends who were shooting USP full size in competition.

click boom
08-24-15, 10:15
If you want to get something that will really kick butt, a Tanfoglio Stock II in .40 should be just right.