PDA

View Full Version : Low Power Variables...to QD, or not to QD?

WS6
08-23-15, 07:19
What with the growing trend of Nightforce, Trijicon, Leupold, S&B, and other optics being used on carbines for arm's-length to 600+ yard engagement either in military, police, or civilian and "gaming" use, I wonder...has the LPV optic evolved to the point that one should "trust" it enough to "hard mount" it with say, a Nightforce Unimount or equivalent, or is it still a good idea to be able to "get it out of the way" by using a Bobro, LaRue, GDI, whatever mount, at the added expense of 2-4oz more weight and a slightly larger footprint? Is the QD mount a handicap...or is the "hardmount" a handicap? If you were going to war today with your LPV optic of choice...what would you mount it in?

For the sake of this question/discussion, let's not bring up offset irons/RDS/etc. that culminates in a "dual optic" type sighting arrangement. Right or wrong, like him or not, I'm with LAV when he says "Guns live in a vertical world".

Gunfixr
08-23-15, 08:24
I have a Leupold AR patrol 1.5 -4 on my rifle, in an adm qd mount.
I figure that, even as tough as today's scopes are, it's still an aluminum tube with glass in it. I want it to be able to come off, so I can see the sights better, should that need arise.

But, should your optic be an elcan or acog, maybe not, if you want it hard mounted.
Ymmv.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Pilot1
08-23-15, 08:49
I chose QD, as I also want to be able to take it off in a pinch, and use the irons. I have a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x40 on the Burris PEPR QD mount. I do regret not getting something a bit lighter, and more compact, but it does the job nicely. I also would go with an ADM, or Bobro mount instead of the PEPR, but it is adequate.

Kain
08-23-15, 08:59
For a combat optic I would go with QD, but that is me. Even my ACOG is in a QD mount, though honestly part of that was because I wanted a low profile mount so i could stop racking my knuckles on the OEM mount's knobs. For gaming, hunting(non-dangerous game), and such I have no issues with hard mounting it, if for no other reason than I don't foresee a need to ditch the optic know to get back into a fight with irons. Also, offset irons could be used to make a case for less need for QD mounts as well.

End of day, personal preference, and priorities. What are you wanting and needing from the optic?

GH41
08-23-15, 10:25
Fixed for me to save weight but I use offsets.

Biggy
08-23-15, 11:10
I chose the Bobro QD mount for my Kahles 1-6 scope. If I wanted a fixed extended mount, I would choose the new extended Badger Ordnance unimount. I personally want BUIS on my fighting rifle and ones that I can get to quickly, in case the scope fogs up or goes down, or you need a close in shot on a bad guy fast when you happen to be on 6x magnification. For my BUIS, I use the KAC's in the link below.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx
http://www.eurooptic.com/badger-ordnance-30-mm-one-piece-unimount-aluminum-zero-moa-58in-oal-306-317a.aspx
http://www.operationparts.com/knights-armament-45-degree-offset-folding-micro-sight-set-200-600m-clamp-mount/

nimdabew
08-23-15, 12:29
Qd because Murphy is an assault hole.

AKDoug
08-23-15, 16:37
I used a Bobro QD when I ran a Trijicon 1x4 scope. I'm glad I did since the scope failed at a class and I was able to move on with my irons.( a lense came loose internally). Since most scopes don't have a true 1x on the bottom end, they make cowitnessed irons very difficult to use.

cop1211
08-23-15, 19:13
I used to have all Bobro qd mounts, with flip up buis. Ive switched to all KAC non qd mounts with offset buis. I was faster on target with the offset buis.

Bluedreaux
08-23-15, 20:50
Since most scopes don't have a true 1x on the bottom end, they make cowitnessed irons very difficult to use.

Just for conversation, I tried shooting irons through a VX6 1-6 on 1x. I couldn't hit paper at 25 yards. There's just too much distortion through the lenses.

LS1POWERED
08-23-15, 22:42
Wrong thread, sorry

SomeOtherGuy
08-24-15, 13:38
I tend to the trust the optic itself with the higher quality brands and models. However, the best optic in the world can get mud or dry dirt caked on the lens, or otherwise be obscured and temporarily useless. So I would do either a QD mount or offset BUIS on anything I want high reliability from. If offset BUIS work for you I think they are a good option, and you might then use a lightweight non-QD mount for some minor overall weight savings.

jerrysimons
08-24-15, 17:48
QD on anything with back up sites, IMO for the reason SomeOtherGuy mentioned, preferably BOBRO. You sold your BOBRO mounted T2 3x G33 magnifier set up, is a low power variable the replacement? 'Curious your thought process as I just exactly copied your setup and found your post showing the combo helpful.

4thPointOfContact
08-24-15, 19:30
If it's for hunting or a range toy where you can always call a "Time out!", pick up your things and go home to do it again another day, ...No, QD's unnecessary.

If it's something that might be used in a serious social situation where calling "Time out!" is just gonna get you shot, then QD makes much more sense than carrying around a set of wrenches or allen keys, or anything else.

titsonritz
08-24-15, 20:09
QD for sure. Bobro for me.

Boba Fett v2
08-26-15, 17:01
What with the growing trend of Nightforce, Trijicon, Leupold, S&B, and other optics being used on carbines for arm's-length to 600+ yard engagement either in military, police, or civilian and "gaming" use, I wonder...has the LPV optic evolved to the point that one should "trust" it enough to "hard mount" it with say, a Nightforce Unimount or equivalent, or is it still a good idea to be able to "get it out of the way" by using a Bobro, LaRue, GDI, whatever mount, at the added expense of 2-4oz more weight and a slightly larger footprint? Is the QD mount a handicap...or is the "hardmount" a handicap? If you were going to war today with your LPV optic of choice...what would you mount it in?

For the sake of this question/discussion, let's not bring up offset irons/RDS/etc. that culminates in a "dual optic" type sighting arrangement. Right or wrong, like him or not, I'm with LAV when he says "Guns live in a vertical world".

I'd mount the LPVO in a QD mount. If for nothing else other than the ease of removal in the event it needs to come off in a hurry.

GH41
08-26-15, 17:50
I'd mount the LPVO in a QD mount. If for nothing else other than the ease of removal in the event it needs to come off in a hurry.

Come on guys.... If you are in trouble nothing beats offset irons. Prove me wrong.... Put up an IPSC target 50 yards.. Start the timer and take your time on the first shot... We are only going to look at the 1-2 split. Remove your scope, deploy your BUIS and take the second shot. Don't sweat A hits. Anything on the target counts. I doubt you can get below 2.5-3 seconds if you practice it a lot.. An old, blind and dumb fu--er like me can do .75 without trying hard with offsets!

fatmat27
08-26-15, 18:02
I can't afford to have a dedicated scope for each rifle so my 2 scopes (1-4 and 3-9) occasionally hop from one to another.

Boba Fett v2
08-26-15, 18:11
Come on guys.... If you are in trouble nothing beats offset irons. Prove me wrong.... Put up an IPSC target 50 yards.. Start the timer and take your time on the first shot... We are only going to look at the 1-2 split. Remove your scope, deploy your BUIS and take the second shot. Don't sweat A hits. Anything on the target counts. I doubt you can get below 2.5-3 seconds if you practice it a lot.. An old, blind and dumb fu--er like me can do .75 without trying hard with offsets!
Y... yessir! [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mysteryman
08-26-15, 21:57

I presume your offset sights sit on the right at about 2 O' clock. Try shooting under low cover while laying rollover prone on your right side with your offset sights. Have you tried shooting from your support side with the offsets? It doesn't work so well. Making the rapid transition is something I think many put far too much stock in. The possibility of having to need your BUIS in the next second or you're dead is slim. If you can't find or aren't using cover and sound tactics then perhaps such a situation is in your future, otherwise I'm going to stick with standard flip ups(rear only for me) and a QD mount for the primary optic coupled with sound tactics.

For the gamer/competitor I still don't see the positives. Iron sights are slower and less precise than any optic and are usually employed at short ranges which is very doable with optics. BUIS on a comp gun are not going to save your run and keep you in top spot should you have to use them; regardless of whether or not they're offsets or conventional BUIS. If your optic takes a dump your run and likely your match is over. BUIS are just that, BACK UP sights for more pressing work with a firearm like defending life, not competing. Just my thoughts..

MM