PDA

View Full Version : AR's in 7mm-08

Benito
08-23-15, 21:02
I've recently taken quite a liking to the 7mm-08 cartridge, after shooting a friend's bolt gun at the range and on a hunt.
As it is based on the .308 cartridge, and can use the same mags, and bolt, I figure it might be worthwhile looking into a semi-auto (i.e. AR-based) 7mm-08.
It's got relatively little recoil, good ballistics, flat trajectory, decent barrel life, and decent ammo selection/availability.

I know LMT made some 7mm-08 barrels for its MWS, and am wondering:
a) what other AR options out there are there for this cartridge,
b) for guys who have owned/shot these, what are your impressions, thought, etc. on this cartridge in the AR

I know some will ask, so my uses for this are honestly range use up to 800 or 900 meters at most.

Cheers.

Kokopelli
08-23-15, 21:08
Palmetto State Armory recently advertised a 7mm-08 upper.. I have a host upper and lower that needs a barrel and BCG, so I'm thinking about it..

dpete
08-24-15, 22:24
Black Hole Weapony makes 7mm-08 barrels.

LS1POWERED
08-24-15, 23:24
I'm a big fan of the round myself, have a bolt gun chambered it in. I was under the impression it does not do as well in shorter barrels compaired to the 308. Although I'm sure it has pleanty of ass out of a 20" barrel.

Pilot1
08-25-15, 03:32
It is a great round, but I prefer .260 Remington, but in a bolt gun, not an AR.

Benito
08-25-15, 16:18
Black Hole Weapony makes 7mm-08 barrels.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to look into this.

I'm a big fan of the round myself, have a bolt gun chambered it in. I was under the impression it does not do as well in shorter barrels compaired to the 308. Although I'm sure it has pleanty of ass out of a 20" barrel.

That's what I have heard too.
http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/7mm08_c532.htm
Their website lists several, ahem, interesting 7mm-08 barrel lengths, including one that's 7.5". That is flat out insane.

It is a great round, but I prefer .260 Remington, but in a bolt gun, not an AR.

Any particular reason, or just personal preference. I have no experience with the .260 Rem, and just a bit with the 7mm-08. For my purposes, it probably wouldn't make a significant difference, but am curious nonetheless.

CRT2
08-25-15, 17:19
LMT has the 20" barrels in stock. http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/barrels/lm708b220s.html

titsonritz
08-25-15, 18:58
What is the purpose of the rifle? The 7mm-08 would make a better all-around hunting rifle, the .260 Rem. (or 6.5 Creedmoor) would make a better precision rifle.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to look into this.

That's what I have heard too.
http://www.shop.blackholeweaponry.com/7mm08_c532.htm
Their website lists several, ahem, interesting 7mm-08 barrel lengths, including one that's 7.5". That is flat out insane.

Any particular reason, or just personal preference. I have no experience with the .260 Rem, and just a bit with the 7mm-08. For my purposes, it probably wouldn't make a significant difference, but am curious nonetheless.

Pilot1
08-25-15, 19:56

The 6.5mm bullet has a bit better ballistic coefficient, but again they are very close. I think the .260 Rem has less felt recoil but very good long range performance. I always liked the 6.5 Swede, and view the .260 Rem as the modern version of that. More personal preference than anything. I'd take a 7mm-08 any day of the week.

Benito
08-25-15, 21:14
What is the purpose of the rifle? The 7mm-08 would make a better all-around hunting rifle, the .260 Rem. (or 6.5 Creedmoor) would make a better precision rifle.

Purpose: Practical shits and giggles. Shooting gongs as far as I can possibly take it, given my abilities and facilities available to me.
Not reloading right now, so would like something with common availability, which as far as I can see, 7mm-08 Rem has an edge over the .260 Rem.

LRRPF52
09-04-15, 12:56
All the really affordable 7mm-08 ammo uses a soft point hunting bullet, like the 140gr PSP from PPU. You can get that right now for $15.89/box.

Soft Points tend to get bent out of shape in gassers, but within common hunting distances of 200yds, it won't make a huge difference. You can get Fiocchi 7mm-08 loaded with Hornady 139gr SST's with a .486 G1 BC for $22.68/box.

I like 7mm-08 a lot. It's what 7.62x51 should have been in the worst case scenario once Army Ordnance insisted on that stupid T-65 case. Ammo availability is very good on 7mm-08, although all of it was developed with bolt gun use in mind. Given how close it is to .308, it shouldn't be as hard to get the gas system worked out with it. I would still want a small firing pin aperture to support the primer, since 7mm-08 likes medium/slower burning powders.

mic2377
09-05-15, 08:13
I also debated between a 7-08 and the 6.5 cartridges. I ended up with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

The reason I could see getting a 7-08 is for improved long-range performance. The trouble is that the case capacity is a bit small for the really high-BC bullets, and you run into OAL issues with loading them in a mag. With the lighter bullets it loses it advantage over the 308. The natural progression is then to move to the 6.5 class cartridges. The 6.5 CM can easily fit the high-BC bullets in the mag while preserving case capacity.

The 7-08 has good ammo availability, but not for actual match ammo with long-range bullets, as already alluded to. The 6.5 CM is best of all with reasonably priced Hornady 140 Amax ammo of excellent quality easily available.

You will probably end up getting a custom barrel to suit your needs. BHW, McGowen, or one of the big name makers would work. I have a McGowen, with no complaints. There was a several month wait however.

No matter the theoretical advantage/disadvantages are, it sounds pretty darn cool! I say build one!

Benito
09-05-15, 23:32
Thanks for the responses, gents.
I will post any related updates if and when they happen.