PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Brownell's --- anyone else

XD40Colorado
08-25-15, 10:06
On my last several orders, it has taken them 48 hours just to process the order. Their shipping is expensive (if you don't opt for the crappy USPS) compared to Midway, which processes orders and ships same day.

I ordered parts on Friday 8/21, for a course this Saturday 8/29, and my order still hasn't shipped, so I may not even have parts by the time the course starts. I'll probably not use these guys again.

What's up with that? Anyone else have similar issues?

skipper49
08-25-15, 10:11
Not here. Always super fast ship out, and CS second to none. Ordered nothing the past few months though.

Skip

SteveL
08-25-15, 10:13
My only real gripe with them is the cost of shipping on small orders. I've ordered $10-$15 worth of springs and pins and have to pay $8 in shipping because they ship in a box that's 5x bigger than necessary. They need to start using padded mailers so they can offer better rates.

XD40Colorado
08-25-15, 10:14
^^^agree with steve. Ordered a Geiselle SSA and a MOE grip, came in a box that you could fit like 5 pairs of shoes in. For two tiny items.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with them so far :(

R0N
08-25-15, 10:18
Since they have gone to the edge program they have started using UPS shipping innovations. So shipping take 4-5 days longer, I use to always get my shipments the same week, and if I ordered on Thursday morning would have it on Saturday afternoon. Now I get any order the following week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XD40Colorado
08-25-15, 10:19
That's bullsh*t. Fail.

mark5pt56
08-25-15, 10:31
At the least, this goes to General, potentially the trash

Wake27
08-25-15, 10:50
I love Brownells. Especially now with Edge. Their CS has bred great, even when the post office has been at fault. My last order was placed on 8/17 and shipped 8/19 but it shipped priority so is expected within 3-5 days. I know their processing times slowed down when they started the move but I'm fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abraham
08-25-15, 11:02
I've had good luck with them.

Their "Edge" shipping program (look into it) is excellent and if have to have what you want right now, it can be done for less if you're in the "Edge" program.

If you can wait until you stack up $150.00 or more order, shipping is free without being in "Edge".

Caeser25
08-25-15, 11:04
On my last several orders, it has taken them 48 hours just to process the order. Their shipping is expensive (if you don't opt for the crappy USPS) compared to Midway, which processes orders and ships same day.

I ordered parts on Friday 8/21, for a course this Saturday 8/29, and my order still hasn't shipped, so I may not even have parts by the time the course starts. I'll probably not use these guys again.

I used them once and had the same experience. Never again. Prices aren't that great either. I usually buy from primary arms. Super fast processing.

Berserkr556
08-25-15, 12:49
There's a reason they do this and it's not to make money off you with shipping fees. Small packages are easily lost and damaged. Padded mailers get ripped, shredded and lost easy compared to a bigger box and it's easier for someone to steal these small packages. I've worked in the shipping business and have seen what happens. I laugh at people who cry about shipping costs because you have no idea what you're talking about. The same people crying about shipping costs would cry when their padded mailer order shows up with no parts inside because it was tore open while being processed or their small box was crushed along with their order.

^^^agree with steve. Ordered a Geiselle SSA and a MOE grip, came in a box that you could fit like 5 pairs of shoes in. For two tiny items.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with them so far :(

Flankenstein
08-25-15, 13:55
Brownell's falls firmly in the OK camp. They aren't great (price wise, shipping times, product availability, shipping costs, etc) but they aren't the worst either.

Navigating their site does blow though. They need to allocate some of those big bucks to a better web dev company.

Averageman
08-25-15, 14:03
Brownell's falls firmly in the OK camp. They aren't great (price wise, shipping times, product availability, shipping costs, etc) but they aren't the worst either.

Navigating their site does blow though. They need to allocate some of those big bucks to a better web dev company.

I like Brownells, I don't mind paying shipping at 8 bucks a pop when the alternative is me driving around for 3 hours to maybe find what I'm looking for.
I do think they could improve the website and make it much more user friendly. I wonder how much business they lose do to folks not being able to find an item they actually have in stock and ready to ship?
Last item I bought was a set of 1911 grips that were $20 bucks off, I'm still ahead if shipping is 8 bucks and I know what I'm getting and I didn't half to look all over from Waco to Austin to find it, maybe...

Doc Safari
08-25-15, 14:23
Lately I'm disappointed with nearly every vendor's ship time, inventory availability, packaging methods, shipping options.

Brownells is no better or worse than any other vendor. For example, I'm convinced Midway should change its motto to "Just about everything.....backordered." :D

THCDDM4
08-25-15, 14:36
Lately I'm disappointed with nearly every vendor's ship time, inventory availability, packaging methods, shipping options.

Brownells is no better or worse than any other vendor. For example, I'm convinced Midway should change its motto to "Just about everything.....backordered." :D

^This.

I ordered some magazines over 2 months ago and still have t received them. I've sent several PM's from this site to the business owner and had one communication a month ago saying they would be shipped. Tried PM'ing 3 times since then as they haven't arrived and no response.

I don't like to post bad reviews too often, but I'm getting close to that point...

Turnkey11
08-25-15, 19:53
I used to buy from brownells weekly, until their LE/Mil pricing that beat all other vendors stopped beating all vendors. Now the shipping costs more due to the UPS thing, they've lost me as a customer.

MegademiC
08-25-15, 21:21

To be fair, if it's actually ordered, it's not their fault the supply does not keep up with demand. I haven't used Brownell recently as they were either too high in price or not in stock. Midway had items at decent price and shipping was fast.

My experiences with Brownells in the past have been positive.

opngrnd
08-25-15, 22:14
My experiences with them have been good. I've lost items shipped in padded envelopes before, so I'll pay a couple extra bucks and wait a couple extra days if that's what it takes to receive what I paid for on the first try. Maybe I'd feel different if I was expecting faster shipping, but as things are, I only order through them when I'm looking for something they specifically carry that I didn't find at my usual online store.

ST911
08-25-15, 22:23
I have excellent luck with Brownells ordering and customer service. And when I am careful to remember that 1) the internet might be instant but human response isn't, and 2) I'm not their only customer asking questions, it's easier to be patient.

I'd agree that it's nice to have a small-order charge, but I also take care to remember that shipping and handling charges are about more than the actual carrier's cost of shipping the object.

Fortunately, the market is full of vendors and some particularly excellent ones are M4C sponsors. Please feel free to visit them and give them an opportunity for your business.

Pilgrim
08-25-15, 22:27
When mail ordering gun stuff I try BCM first, Midway second, Cabela's third, and Brownells fourth.

The Brownells difficult to navigate website and noticeably higher prices are holding them back.

Dienekes
08-25-15, 22:34
I've been a steady customer for 30+ years. Nobody's perfect but they've always tried to treat me right. Their order takers are always cheerful and helpful. I rarely return anything but on the few occasions I have it was quick, easy, and more than fair.

texasgunhand
08-25-15, 23:52
After a screwed up order and shipping back and forth ive been going to different places. I don't want really anything shipped ups anymore. Usps gets it here in 3 days for cheaper. Last ups I got in was marked fragile,it was smashed and corners tore and the tape busted. I am tired of getting boxes like that and paying more for them.

eightmillimeter
08-26-15, 00:10
When I lived in Des Moines I always just drove over and had my orders picked, usually walked out in less than 20 minutes. In their defense, orders usually used to process same business day, at least within 24"business" hours. Their move to a larger warehouse has slowed this considerably it seems, but order times are trending back down now. I'm fully confident they will be mostly same day shipping within a year. Midway and Brownells prices are usually comparable, but Midway is killing them on shipping small parts. There is definitely a better selection of tools and chemicals at Brownells, their oxoxox-blue and Teflon-moly coat are very handy to have laying around the shop at all times. The support staff at Brownells is phenomenal. You can ask a question on the website, or so live chat with people who will direct you to a specific item quickly and make sure you get the right thing. I needed a tap once for 1/4-22 whit worth threads for something, searching wasn't getting me anywhere but an email netted me the proper tap in no time. If I need pets like stripped uppers/lowers or BCGs unjust go to other vendors for better selection and pricing. I've ordered from them enough times to know the ins and outs and really cant complain at this point.

scottryan
08-26-15, 23:12

You are about like 1/3 of the people I have to deal with on gunbroker who order stuff and claim they need it for a class/trip/gift in a week.

Never mind the fact that you didn't nothing to prevent a last minute snafu.

scottryan
08-26-15, 23:13
My only real gripe with them is the cost of shipping on small orders. I've ordered $10-$15 worth of springs and pins and have to pay $8 in shipping because they ship in a box that's 5x bigger than necessary. They need to start using padded mailers so they can offer better rates.

Padded mailers rip open in transit.

scottryan
08-26-15, 23:20
Brownells customer service is light years ahead of midway.

When I call I don't get the run around. If needed I am transferred to a manager immediately upon request.

They actually look me up while on the phone and see how much business I give them (six figures) and I am taken care of accordingly. I have received personally hand signed letters from Pete Brownell.

At midway I can no longer get past the retarded college age girl answering the phone with no decision making authority. I have given them about equal business. I've had better customer service at a Walmart.

Wake27
08-26-15, 23:33
I returned a Bobro mount today with just a few clicks and $5 for the box. Because I decided that I didn't want to go the LPV route. Hard to beat.