PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 OS

Gunfighter.45
08-25-15, 10:21
Anyone here upgrade to the new OS yet? Just curious if you have...do you like, don't like it? I'm still running Windows 7 pro and was wondering if I should pull the trigger.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-25-15, 10:27
I'll be sticking with 7 for now unless I see a real reason to move over.

Jaysop
08-25-15, 10:33
I have it. It's a good upgrade. Clean interface and customizable.

It's worth the upgrade while it's free. Probably not worth the couple hundred when it's not.

Eurodriver
08-25-15, 11:08
I like it. I dont like Microsoft Edge and have since switched back to firefox. My only gripe.

Digital_Damage
08-25-15, 11:52
I like it. I dont like Microsoft Edge and have since switched back to firefox. My only gripe.

oh man.... out of all the Browsers you pick the worst? Over the last 4 years that thing has become as bad if not worse then IE7.

There are still gaping security holes in it that were found 9 months ago.

Jaysop
08-25-15, 12:01
Chrome is where it's at.

chuckman
08-25-15, 12:21
I switched, none of my cameras would download (upload?), and none of the camera manufacturers had software yet to support. I just went back to 8.1. I think getting around in 10 was easier. For web browser I use Chrome. I hate IE.

GotAmmo
08-25-15, 15:39
Thanks to the free upgrade I took, I now regret it. My laptop has been acting funny since then and I was forced to do a reset. If it wouldn't have backed up alot of my files I would have lost them all. I wasn't expecting to lose everything in regards to programs, I cant even get Windows Media Player to play dvd's now so I have to DL a dvd playing app

So I'll be switching to a MAC when i can afford it

Digital_Damage
08-25-15, 15:43
Thanks to the free upgrade I took, I now regret it. My laptop has been acting funny since then and I was forced to do a reset. If it wouldn't have backed up alot of my files I would have lost them all. I wasn't expecting to lose everything in regards to programs, I cant even get Windows Media Player to play dvd's now so I have to DL a dvd playing app

So I'll be switching to a MAC when i can afford it

There is no windows media player anymore... that was canned years ago. You need to download their new media center.

Koshinn
08-25-15, 15:49
One thing to note for a desktop user, doing the free upgrade ties your win 10 activation to your motherboard serial number (via wizardry and magic). If you take the free upgrade and keep it after Aug next year, any motherboard upgrade will also need a new OS.

Besides that, the privacy issues (which are all fixable if you don't skip them when installing), and the compatibility issues inherent with an OS less than a month old, I found it's slightly better than 7 and massively better than 8 and 8.1.

Clint
08-25-15, 18:53
I'm in absolutely no hurry.

Call me crazy, but every time I "upgrade" my iOS, is works a little more poorly than before.

Windows is even more inconsistent. It seems to take them two or three tries on a particular platform to get something that doesn't suck.

Win8 sucked
Win 7 is great
Vista sucked
XP was great for 10 years
ME sucked
Win 2000 was good
98 was OK
95 was revolutionary
Win 3.11 for workgroups was the bomb because of whatever it did to make the hard drive so fast
Win 3.1 was workable
Win 3.0 was primordial ooze

Anyhow, I thought the desktop wars were over, just like the browser wars.

Mobile is where the action is, at least until the end�� of the Shemitah ��year.

Koshinn
08-25-15, 18:58
Call me crazy, but every time I "upgrade" my iOS, is works a little more poorly than before.

Windows is even more inconsistent. It seems to take them two or three tries on a particular platform to get something that doesn't suck.

Win8 sucked
Win 7 is great
Vista sucked
XP was great for 10 years
ME sucked
Win 2000 was good
98 was OK
95 was revolutionary
Win 3.11 for workgroups was the bomb because of whatever it did to make the hard drive so fast
Win 3.1 was workable
Win 3.0 was primordial ooze

Anyhow, I thought the desktop wars were over, just like the browser wars.

Mobile is where the action is, at least until the end of the Shemitah year.

If you see the pattern in your post, Win10 should be great. And honestly, it's like what Windows 8 should have been.

Windows 10 just makes sense, looks great, performs great, and generally is exactly what an OS should be (besides also being free and not having to turn off features that automatically shares data).

Pi3
08-25-15, 21:17
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

dmaxfireman
08-25-15, 21:39
I gave up on windows this past spring. Went linux and will never go back. I highly recommend it to anybody who is able to use Windows and Google.

There are a bunch of linux os that look and function similar to windows. And if you have a problem just Google it, somebody else has most likely had the same problem and gotten it solved.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HKGuns
08-25-15, 21:54
Anyone here upgrade to the new OS yet? Just curious if you have...do you like, don't like it? I'm still running Windows 7 pro and was wondering if I should pull the trigger.

Yes and no issues, not radically different than 7, which is good. It is actually faster than 7 as well, which is good.

SteveL
08-25-15, 21:57
I installed it on my old laptop for about a week. I tried playing a blu-ray in the computer and realized that Windows 10 took that capability away. I ended up rolling back to Windows 7.

Honu
08-26-15, 04:39
just read all of this ;) http://gizmodo.com/hardcore-pirates-are-reportedly-banning-windows-10-1726044389?

t1tan
08-26-15, 05:50
Been using insider builds of 10 since April and the full version since launch, native UEFI install. Best version of Windows in years, stable, no issues, streamlined, no annoyances. I do strip things down, remove any extras and run it very minimalist since this is a gaming computer; Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Skype, Chrome

I7 4790K Devil's Canyon
Asus Maximus VII Impact M-ITX
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2 X 8GB
EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 12GB
Samsung 850 Evo 120GB & 1TB

foxtrotx1
08-26-15, 14:15
I installed it on my old laptop for about a week. I tried playing a blu-ray in the computer and realized that Windows 10 took that capability away. I ended up rolling back to Windows 7.

Should have just rolled back the driver for the blu-ray player...

Windows 10 is easily the best version of windows I have used. But then again, I thought 8.1 was the shit once I removed tablet view.

daddyusmaximus
09-24-15, 12:09
Microsoft put in a sneaky Windows 10 "upgrade" in an automatic update a couple weeks or so back. Computer got slow as hell overnight. REAL slow. Wouldn't print out a PDF either. Took me a while to figure it out because I'm not real computer savy. Then I saw a post on another forum that allowed me to undo the damage, and I'm good to go again. (Windows 7 home premium)

I'm not a tech guy, this is from the other forum. I did it, and it got me back up and running.

**** MS..i hate win10....

1. Open Start >> Run or press window key + r

2. Type “services.msc” (without quotes) and Click OK , this will open services window.

3. Right click on Automatic Updates Service and select Stop.

4. After the service is stopped, press window key + r

5. Type “%windir%\SoftwareDistribution” (without quotes) and press enter.

6. Open the Download folder and delete all contents of the Download folder.

7. Close the window, press Window Key + r ( or Open Start >> Run )

8. Type “services.msc” (without quotes) and Click OK

9. Right click on Automatic Updates Service and select Start.

10. That’s it Done