PDA

View Full Version : What did I just buy? Colored G19 Gen4s

Eurodriver
08-25-15, 20:01
Went to the gun shop today to buy some sling swivels and walked out with both of these.

I was told both are "factory" guns. I.E. not done by Bob's cerakoting. One is Tornado Grey and the other is Magpul FDE. Side by side with the previous full FDE colors (I mean the full slide and frame, not just the frame) it looks much better. The FDE matches Magpul FDE perfectly and both the frame and slide match perfectly.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3500_zpsi296oocj.jpg

4DAIVI PAI2K5
08-25-15, 20:04
Lipsey's

titsonritz
08-25-15, 20:18
^^Yep
I was just looking at one.
http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=GLPG1950204D

Talon167
08-25-15, 20:30
Yea, those are Lypseys. Is the gray one all gray (slide included)? Looks like it in the pic, but could be lighting... just wanted to confirm. I've seen the gray frames ones but never with the slide also done.

DirectTo
08-25-15, 20:59
I thought lipseys were only frame colored? I know my grey one was only the frame with a regular black slide.

TXBK
08-25-15, 21:12
You aren't suppose to be walking.

MountainRaven
08-25-15, 22:09
They are sold by Lipsey's - a distributor - but I believe that the cerakoting is done by a contractor working for Lipsey's, not by Glock proper.

In any case, I think it's too bad they changed the coloration on the FDE frames. I liked the dark brown of the LAV and other, older dark earth models.

cop1211
08-25-15, 22:56
I was researching cerakote colors for a rifle, and the color for the original Glock fde's is supposedly cerakote Austrian fde. I might do a KAC in that with stock, and small parts in standard fde.

donlapalma
08-25-15, 23:17
I hate when that happens! Did you get the sling swivels at least??

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

williejc
08-25-15, 23:31
Yep. He's hitting them pain pills hard. Thank God that the shop was sold out of pink pistols. Eurodriver needs to stay at the house for at least two more weeks.

Eurodriver
08-26-15, 06:41
Yea, those are Lypseys. Is the gray one all gray (slide included)? Looks like it in the pic, but could be lighting... just wanted to confirm. I've seen the gray frames ones but never with the slide also done.

The gray one is all gray. Slide and frame.

I thought lipseys were only frame colored? I know my grey one was only the frame with a regular black slide.

They are sold by Lipsey's - a distributor - but I believe that the cerakoting is done by a contractor working for Lipsey's, not by Glock proper.

In any case, I think it's too bad they changed the coloration on the FDE frames. I liked the dark brown of the LAV and other, older dark earth models.

They didn't change the FDE frame color at all. This is just a full cerakote job whereas the Glock produced (proper) FDE guns are frame only. Here you can see the difference in color.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3504_zpsytdisesq.jpg

You aren't suppose to be walking.

Crutches!

I hate when that happens! Did you get the sling swivels at least??

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I did! See pic above :)

Yep. He's hitting them pain pills hard. Thank God that the shop was sold out of pink pistols. Eurodriver needs to stay at the house for at least two more weeks.

Haha. Actually, what I went in looking for additional to the sling swivel was small pistol primers! 9mm reloading keeps my mind off the pain...and the amazing unicorns and stars that dance around my head when I take the pain meds. ;)

ETA: Glock is also at A, 4 letter prefix, serial numbers.

Eurodriver
08-26-15, 07:12
Here's something I just discovered...the beavertails they come with are not cerakoted.

I prefer the large beavertail without the backstrap that extends all the way to the slide. That is currently on my G19 with the threaded barrel in the pic above. I had to use the Large with the extended backstrap as that's all I had left and the medium was too small. Fortunately, I have an OEM FDE G19 otherwise I would have had to use a black backstrap. The gray gun is going to get a black one.

Here is the color difference. In certain light its not even noticable. I say this from a "Review" perspective, as I do not care what my guns look like and I'm sure they will have scratches from holsters and stained grips from dirty hands anyway.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3506_zpsp79ewplk.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3507_zpsug2ery5w.jpg

ggammell
08-26-15, 08:16
The four letter serials are USA made guns. You can still get three letter serials that are being made in Austria.

Eurodriver
08-26-15, 08:58
Oh cool. Thanks. Is there any difference between the two?

Arik
08-26-15, 09:37
I saw a grey one at an lgs on Sunday and asked if it was used/done by a previous owner. Salesman said it was new and factory. Having never seen one I figured either he was lying or just didn't see it when it was brought in. Guess I was wrong

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Big A
08-26-15, 09:37
Haha. Actually, what I went in looking for additional to the sling swivel was small pistol primers! 9mm reloading keeps my mind off the pain...and the amazing unicorns and stars that dance around my head when I take the pain meds. ;)

Just don't make any hand loads while under the effects of the pain meds.

We don't want to see a thread titled
"Help! My all gray G19 blew up!"

[emoji13]

ETA: Is the gray one the new gray frame with just the slide cerakoted like the older all FDE guns or is the frame coated too?

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 10:42
You been living under a Glock rock? The full FDE (which is nothing like Magpul FDE...no idea how you can say it matches perfectly. Glock OD matches Magpul FDE much better) have been out for a year. The grey frames have been out for a month or so now.

Of course the beavertail isn't cerakoted...why would it be? It's dyed that way in the mold just like the frame.

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 10:43

Of course Glock isn't cerakoted slides. Lipsey's buys them two toned and contracts out a 3rd party to cerakote them.

Change out the striker channel liner OP, the company Lipseys contracts to apply and bake the cerakote does not remove or replace the liners.

Big A
08-26-15, 10:47
You been living under a Glock rock? The full FDE (which is nothing like Magpul FDE...no idea how you can say it matches perfectly. Glock OD matches Magpul FDE much better) have been out for a year. The grey frames have been out for a month or so now.

Of course the beavertail isn't cerakoted...why would it be? It's dyed that way in the mold just like the frame.
He has a factory frame FDE G19. The new one is completely cerakoted in a color that matches the magpul FDE.

He posted a picture with both and you can see the deference between the two.

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 10:50
The gray one is all gray. Slide and frame.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3504_zpsytdisesq.jpg

Based off this pic- something is off. The frames should literally be the same exact color. Unless your two tone FDE is really oily or dirty something isn't right (still doesn't add up as those colors are very different and under the same light, not sure dirt and oil would make your frame that much dirtier, and it looks uniformly darker) . Almost looks like you got a completely aftermarket coated gun....not a Lipseys full FDE.

Based off your description of the Gray gun, something is also off. Lipsey's hasn't done a full grey run yet either. The most recent Glock slide finish is a bit gray/chalky but it is still more black then gray,

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 10:51
He has a factory frame FDE G19. The new one is completely cerakoted in a color that matches the magpul FDE.

He posted a picture with both and you can see the deference between the two.

You are telling me that Lipsey's is cerakoting black Glock's now?

Maybe I'm under the Glock rock...first I've heard of that.

Big A
08-26-15, 11:23
You are telling me that Lipsey's is cerakoting black Glock's now?

Maybe I'm under the Glock rock...first I've heard of that.
Probably some 3rd party as I believe the slides for the all FDE ones were done for Lipsey's by a 3rd party, not Lipsey's.

Lipsey's is just the distributor as far as I know.

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 11:27
Probably some 3rd party as I believe the slides for the all FDE ones were done for Lipsey's by a 3rd party, not Lipsey's.

Lipsey's is just the distributor as far as I know.

Right, semantics at this point as the people in this thread seem educated enough to know Lipsey's is contracting these out. What I was getting at is that I had no idea Lipsey's was sending out black guns for full cerakote. Kind of bush league for a huge organization like Lipseys.

I can't believe they are cerakoting the full guns...I'd prob never opt for a cerakote frame...even if the I thought the color looked better.

Big A
08-26-15, 11:35
Right, semantics at this point as the people in this thread seem educated enough to know Lipsey's is contracting these out. What I was getting at is that I had no idea Lipsey's was sending out black guns for full cerakote. Kind of bush league for a huge organization like Lipseys.

I can't believe they are cerakoting the full guns...I'd prob never opt for a cerakote frame...even if the I thought the color looked better.
If they couldn't get Glock to do a run of Magpul FDE frames they could have decided to do it themselves.

Hell, the OP's LGS could have done these for all we know. Lipsey's might not be involved at all.

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 11:41
If they couldn't get Glock to do a run of Magpul FDE frames they could have decided to do it themselves.

Hell, the OP's LGS could have done these for all we know. Lipsey's might not be involved at all.

I think either the OP's LGS did these or they bought them from another small shop. Other shops have done the same. My suspicion is Lipsey's (or any other big distributor) has nothing to do with this. I could be wrong though, I'm going off feelings not facts.

I do know for a fact that KYgunCo had Full Magpul FDE cerakoted guns awhile back that they did in house. They still have some models available: http://www.kygunco.com/glock-g20-gen4-10mm-pistol-46in-flat-dark-earth-cerakote-15-round-81937

Eurodriver
08-26-15, 12:04
I can assure you that this LGS did not do these themselves just based on the price. (And because I know them very well and I deliberately asked how they got colored this way)

A quick Google search shows lots of places cerakoting full pistols for $180. There must be quite a bit of volume because these were only $20 more than standard Gen4 (black) G19s at my LGS. No way a dealer would send a black G19 off to get cerakoted for $20 increase in asking price.

Not sure who is coloring them, but it isn't them. Believe that.

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 12:12
Well if you deliberately asked them who colored them and they responded "factory" (per your OP) something is still off.

I'd like to know who colored them so I'm not off in www land posting misinformation. If someone is doing this stuff in a moderately mass production manner, I am curious as to who it is.

Eurodriver
08-26-15, 12:17
Well if you deliberately asked them who colored them and they responded "factory" (per your OP) something is still off.

I'd like to know who colored them so I'm not off in www land posting misinformation. If someone is doing this stuff in a moderately mass production manner, I am curious as to who it is.

They technically said it was a "distributor exclusive"

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 12:43
They technically said it was a "distributor exclusive"

They should know which distributor supplied the pistols to them. They should then be able to call said distributor to inquire for more details.

I'm curious to know if these are truly being pumped out in high volume as you state/assume, and if they are, who is pumping them out.

At the end of the day all that really matters is that you are happy with your purchase.

Eurodriver
08-26-15, 12:50
They should know which distributor supplied the pistols to them. They should then be able to call said distributor to inquire for more details.

I'm curious to know if these are truly being pumped out in high volume as you state/assume, and if they are, who is pumping them out.

At the end of the day all that really matters is that you are happy with your purchase.

I can go back and ask. I kind of want a black Gen4. That's the only G19 I don't own... ;)

Flankenstein
08-26-15, 12:56
I can go back and ask. I kind of want a black Gen4. That's the only G19 I don't own... ;)

Keep us posted. You can never have too many 19s (3 in that pic, one on my person).

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/cutt29/IMG_4586.jpg

sparky-kb
08-26-15, 13:43
I'll be interested to hear what distributor had the Magpul FDE Glock done. I'm not really seeing how it could be called a "factory" job though since no part of the color change was done by Glock.

For that matter, the Lipseys Full FDE aren't completely "factory" either as others have noted. They are factory FDE frames with slides Cerakoted in Austrian FDE by Kodiak Koatings in Shelbyville KY.

jhr1986
08-26-15, 16:08
We have a couple at our shop. Got them from acusport, not lipseys.

3rd party cerakote. Acusport sent them out to ??? for the coating, which is done on the slide and frame (not backstraps and some other parts). Totally different deal than the OD and FDE frames made by glock. Not the lipseys slide only or frame only cerakote either.

Dacam
08-27-15, 00:46
When I sent my slide to L&M Precision Gunworks to mill for rmr and cerakote, he told me that he had a difficult time matching the existing fde color.
It didnt match any of the fde colors they had in stock because who ever did the original cerakote did not remove the factory tennifer finish prior to
painting the fde color. They painted directly over the black causing a darker shade I guess.
L&M sand blasted the entire slide before painting the current fde, its slightly lighter than the frame but I really like it. It kinda gives the gun some
two tone look.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Dacam1/public/IMG_0998_zpsh7mdyide.jpg (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/Dacam1/media/public/IMG_0998_zpsh7mdyide.jpg.html)
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Dacam1/public/IMG_0994_zps3pspceh3.jpg (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/Dacam1/media/public/IMG_0994_zps3pspceh3.jpg.html)
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Dacam1/public/IMG_0995_zpsy7zd6vda.jpg (http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/Dacam1/media/public/IMG_0995_zpsy7zd6vda.jpg.html)

Flankenstein
08-27-15, 10:48
When I sent my slide to L&M Precision Gunworks to mill for rmr and cerakote, he told me that he had a difficult time matching the existing fde color.
It didnt match any of the fde colors they had in stock because who ever did the original cerakote did not remove the factory tennifer finish prior to
painting the fde color. They painted directly over the black causing a darker shade I guess.
L&M sand blasted the entire slide before painting the current fde, its slightly lighter than the frame but I really like it. It kinda gives the gun some
two tone look.

Fail. Tenifer isn't a finish. And either you misunderstood or L&M has no clue what they are talking about.

Dacam
08-27-15, 11:52
Hey, my bad. I do know that when they sand blasted the original slide, it was black under the fde color.
I bought the gun from a known dealer. Whom ever cerakoted the slide did not remove the "black finish"
first.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
08-27-15, 15:15
Sounds like a stand corrected. Not Lipseys.

JEC75
08-28-15, 15:58
Here's the deal guys.

The gun that the OP got are black US made guns that the distributor Acusport had completely Cerakoted by a third party. I believe they did Magpul FDE, Burnt Bronze, Gray, and Desert Sand. I do all the special projects for Lipsey's and we did NOT do these. We do Glock factory molded "Dark Earth" frame and Gray frame guns. We also offer a Glock factory authorized Cerakoted Dark Earth slide model (Full FDE) that is done by a third party.. You can tell because Glock assigned it a separate SKU number and UPC Code. The guns are shipped to the Cerakote applicator from Glock with an extra channel liner so that it can be replaced after the slides are baked. Once completed they ship the guns to us.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Jason / Lipsey's

Flankenstein
08-28-15, 16:15
Here's the deal guys.

The gun that the OP got are black US made guns that the distributor Acusport had completely Cerakoted by a third party. I believe they did Magpul FDE, Burnt Bronze, Gray, and Desert Sand. I do all the special projects for Lipsey's and we did NOT do these. We do Glock factory molded "Dark Earth" frame and Gray frame guns. We also offer a Glock factory authorized Cerakoted Dark Earth slide model (Full FDE) that is done by a third party.. You can tell because Glock assigned it a separate SKU number and UPC Code. The guns are shipped to the Cerakote applicator from Glock with an extra channel liner so that it can be replaced after the slides are baked. Once completed they ship the guns to us.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Jason / Lipsey's

Awesome, thanks for chiming in! Great intel. Shipping extra channel liners must be new things because the 3 Full FDE guns I bought about a year ago all needed their liners replaced.

Since I (maybe) have your ear...How about a Lipsey's exclusive OD frame (real OD like magpul not "Glock OD")

Desert sand is pretty cool too.

Keep up the good work over there!

JEC75
08-28-15, 16:51
Awesome, thanks for chiming in! Great intel. Shipping extra channel liners must be new things because the 3 Full FDE guns I bought about a year ago all needed their liners replaced.

Since I (maybe) have your ear...How about a Lipsey's exclusive OD frame (real OD like magpul not "Glock OD")

Desert sand is pretty cool too.

Keep up the good work over there!

No problem. Just wanted everyone to know what they are getting. The extra liners have been standard for a while now. The very first batch were the only ones that didn't as far as I know, but most of those got replaced after the fact.

The new gray guns have been going out as quick as we can get them and FDE still remains as one of top exclusive offerings so we will be pretty busy with those two for a while. Maybe some other colors in the future.

Thanks,

Jason

Eurodriver
08-29-15, 19:39
Thanks for clearing things up Jason. Can't wait to get my hands on a gray one. Haven't seen them anywhere.

I don't understand why, when I have money to burn, nothing is available...:suicide:

Eurodriver
08-29-15, 20:40
Of course Glock isn't cerakoted slides. Lipsey's buys them two toned and contracts out a 3rd party to cerakote them.

Change out the striker channel liner OP, the company Lipseys contracts to apply and bake the cerakote does not remove or replace the liners.

Is there a way to tell if the liner has been replaced? If not, is there a way to tell if it is ruined?

JEC75
08-29-15, 20:52
Is there a way to tell if the liner has been replaced? If not, is there a way to tell if it is ruined?

If the liner comes out with the striker assembly then it most likely was not replaced. The heat will make them shrink around the spring. If it stays in the channel then you should be good to go. If you have one that needs to be replaced let me know as I think I have a few in my desk.

Jason

Eurodriver
08-29-15, 21:22
If the liner comes out with the striker assembly then it most likely was not replaced. The heat will make them shrink around the spring. If it stays in the channel then you should be good to go. If you have one that needs to be replaced let me know as I think I have a few in my desk.

Jason

I really appreciate that Jason. I'll take it apart in the morning and shoot you a PM if need be.

Thanks again

ETA: Removed the striker assemblies and the sleeve remained in the slide. I inspected with a flashlight and it looks good. Not sure if this means they replaced it or not but its good to know.

Cartel
09-10-15, 18:35
Thank you for the clarification, Jason! I spent a great deal in time + effort in attempting to figure out what the hell I purchased over the weekend and you confirmed it all in one post.

Without further ado, my significant others Magpul FDE Acuport Gen 4 G19 + my Gen4 G19.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/956BC608-B0A4-4E55-BE8B-BE88E7FD4253_zpswc3injt2.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/986S/media/956BC608-B0A4-4E55-BE8B-BE88E7FD4253_zpswc3injt2.jpg.html)