PDA

View Full Version : It's time for BCM to build a BCM AR 10

Pappabear
08-25-15, 23:34
I for one would buy an BCM AR10 in a heartbeat. I sold my LMT and miss it. Any thoughts on that possibility. I guess one big question, if they built one, how much coin would it require?

Any thoughts?

PB

nimdabew
08-26-15, 01:01
Mega has the best stuff right now for AR10 stuff. I don't know if BCM wants to get into that market because the demand just isn't there. Most people have multiple AR15's, but only one or maybe two AR10's. Who knows. If I were to get one today, I would get an Aero Precision set instead of a BCM just for logistical reasons.

Neville
08-26-15, 05:16
A BCM KMR for the 308 would be awesome.

TommyG
08-26-15, 06:39
I am waiting to see what develops in that arena too. I was pretty hot on building a 6.8 upper/rifle but with cost involved I am going to sit and see what else comes around in 308. I would be all over something from BCM too if was in the works.

TXBK
08-26-15, 07:41
I'm pretty sure that BCM has a 300 Blk coming, but would also like to see the BCM10. Really, I would like to see a BCM10 more than a BCM300, but I will purchase both once they get here.

I don't see my MWS going anywhere, and I am hoping that the BCM10 that they bring to market is more weight-friendly.

MistWolf
08-26-15, 17:21
If it were light enough and priced right, yes. We need a reliable 308 AR that us working stiffs can afford. I thought it was going to be the M&P-10 but my confidence in S&W supporting their big AR has been shaken.

What I would also like from the BCM 308 AR is an upper compatible with existing free float tubes and commonly available barrels

prestonoconnor
08-26-15, 18:38
I would love a BCM m4 style 16" 7.62. I want a light weight rifle first then one with a heavier barrel

Bang4Buck
08-26-15, 20:09
Building a .308 AR with quality parts isn't that difficult and the cost is not really dramatically higher than a BCM AR 15. I know DD is coming out with one but I doubt the price point will be that attractive when people look at build cost. You can have a bitchin' .308 AR with keymod rail, great trigger, and nice stock for well under 2k minus the glass.

if you're going the budget route I would consider the aero precision .308 but even then for not much more you can build better.

hotrodder636
08-26-15, 20:29
This is what I am wanting.

A BCM KMR for the 308 would be awesome.

Leuthas
08-26-15, 23:18
The trouble with the large frame AR market is how easily a person - even a moderately seasoned AR15 guy - can build a poor functioning AR10/DPMS type rifle, due entirely to the lack of standardization which still exists.

It's quite possible BCM doesn't want customers running amok with "my new BCM 308 doesn't function!" just because they used the wrong buffer, port size or carrier weight.

Iraqgunz
08-27-15, 01:16
Pappabear,

Contact Sons of Liberty Gun Works in San Antonio, TX and mention me. I think they will take care of you.

cst
09-01-15, 12:23
it seems everyone is getting on the 308 bandwagon....which drops the pricee...check Aero Precision

Pappabear
09-01-15, 19:47
I shot a Sig AR10 yesterday at a range. It gave a hefty kick but cycled fine and handled ok. We shot it with irons. I liked it fine but it cost damn near what a LMT cost. This guy paid $2,500 for his.

sidewaysil80
09-01-15, 20:30
It would be hard for me to justify buying anything other than Aero Precision for an AR-10; at least in a standard battle rifle configuration. If they (BCM) were able to produce one that consistently shoots on par with the OBR or Sr25 yet stays within a relative price point...I'm in.

Pappabear
09-01-15, 23:38
Pappabear,

Contact Sons of Liberty Gun Works in San Antonio, TX and mention me. I think they will take care of you.

Copy that. Thanks

dhena81
09-01-15, 23:45
If they start offering an AR in .308 I hope it won't be for AR-10 magazines.

The only reason I'd buy another AR in .308 would be if I sold my MWS and bought a SR-25.

For me personally I don't have a need for another semi .308 that my Scar 17 and MWS don't cover.

Benito
09-02-15, 03:33
If they start offering an AR in .308 I hope it won't be for AR-10 magazines.

The only reason I'd buy another AR in .308 would be if I sold my MWS and bought a SR-25.

For me personally I don't have a need for another semi .308 that my Scar 17 and MWS don't cover.

I doubt they would. Even Armalite has gone to the 308 PMag/DPMS/KAC pattern with their AR-10A's. The AR-10B mag (the steel ones you are referring to) were necessitated by the 1994 AWB, if my memory serves me correctly.

Boba Fett v2
09-02-15, 09:39
I'd be curious to see what they'd come up with, especially if they can manage to keep the price and weight down. Regardless of what comes to fruition, I'm keeping my MWS forever.

TehLlama
09-02-15, 21:15
I suspects it's a question of when, not if BCM has complete carbines that take PMags, use KMR type rails, and come with the usual BCM accoutrement.
Price will probably be slightly over competition, but they'll sell out just because it'll probably be the first non-KAC/LMT unit that really hits all the spec sheet musts and will have an actually acceptable real-world MTBF that isn't a clone of a contract gun (again, KAC and LMT come to mind).

Here's the devil's advocate part - why should BCM be in a hurry to rush into that market? They can wait on a few key suppliers to let others figure out what the market really wants and will bear, then assess what COTS (to them) parts to use, and then start the D, T & E on their own and just wait until they've gotten it totally right. The KMR-type rail will mean they can spec a smart barrel contour and have one of the lightest handiest carbines around, and can have a more precision oriented one that still comes in where the rest of the competition sits (KAC right now owns this dualized market space with the ACC/APC).

Considering how many silly and different versions already exist (DPMS LR-308 Gen1 and just herding those supposed compatible ones into working carbines... along with DPMS GenII, RRA's dumb thing, Armalite having three different types of receiver, Colt's pseudo-modular system, CMMG's mostly-compatible version, and G3 variant, LT's proprietary barrel nut setup - LMT's MWS was always it's own deal, but that's yet another standard)...
BCM can basically afford to treat this like it's a home run derby. Don't swing until it's right - the perfect chance to hit it out of the park is coming, so don't force it.

LRRPF52
09-04-15, 12:07
A lot of companies in the AR15 market had some type of .308 project in the works before Sandy Hook. The panic demand afterwards shelved those plans until things could calm down, and now a lot of them are seeing more competition in the AR10 market as everybody and their brother introduces their offering.

Colt, DPMS, Midwest Industries, Lancer, Seekins, Aero Precision, PSA, American Defense Machining, Wilson Combat, Troy, and Daniel Defense have all introduced new .308's into the market just since 2014, for example.

I would like to see more companies ditch the 9" beast receiver sets, and look back at what ArmaLite and Colt were doing with the AR10A in 1959/1960. Colt and DPMS have done that with the 901 and GII, but most people are unaware that an AR15-sized AR10 was set for production back in 1960. .308 still doesn't interest me for my personal uses, but I work on them a bit, and see them in courses often.